Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Old Feb 7th 2013, 12:30 pm
  #91  
Forum Regular
 
tomkent45's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: London
Posts: 45
tomkent45 has a spectacular aura abouttomkent45 has a spectacular aura abouttomkent45 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Miss Betty,
just keep your eye on the goal and enjoy the last few months there. Moreover you could try to search for a new job in UK already, using the Internet. Some companies also allow interviews by Skype.

Good luck!
tomkent45 is offline  
Old Feb 7th 2013, 5:20 pm
  #92  
Practical Paramedic
Thread Starter
 
MissBetty's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: The Beautiful South, UK
Posts: 931
MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Originally Posted by tomkent45 View Post
Miss Betty,
just keep your eye on the goal and enjoy the last few months there. Moreover you could try to search for a new job in UK already, using the Internet. Some companies also allow interviews by Skype.

Good luck!
Hi Tom thanks, I'm trying, I promise lol!

As for applying for jobs well yes, I've looked into that but its just not possible in my job. I have enough atm to live on for 3 months, if I could get a job I'd come home straight away BUT as a paramedic you have to attend not only an interview but a medical, fitness test, written exam and a practical skills assessment. You also have to provide your CPD (continual professional development) folder at the interview stage.

I'm a very proactive person and its SO frustrating seeing all these jobs I'm eligible for that I'm not in a position to apply for. Once I'm back I am sure I'll get a job no worries BUT it can be fairly long process (up to 2 months) and I need money to live on whilst I'm being 'processed'. I don't want my return to be marred by financial worries hence I have to stick it out for now and just carrying on saving every spare cent that I have. I do intend to start submitting applications 4-6 weeks before I return though just to get the ball rolling but letting them know I won't be back in the UK until the last week of May.

Another problem I am having - which maybe someone can provide the answer to - is that I don't have a current UK CRB (criminal records bureau) check. One recruitment agency I contacted were very interested and I went through all the hoops of registering with them - online assessments, copies of all documents etc etc only to be told they need a recent CRB check from me -my last one was 2007.

They said they'll do one for me if I provide them with identity documents and gave me two lists of acceptable documentation. The second list stated that I had to provide 5 pieces of ID which I don't have, the first list was 3 pieces which I do have but that list included my UK passport and driving licence. They asked me to send them to them registered post but I just couldn't do it, too risky IMHO! I can do it myself once I am back at the local police station and I'm getting a police check from Australia which I'm going to get before I go but that can take up to a month to process - gotta get my timing right!

On days off now so outta here as soon as the sun comes up! Can't wait to go to the movies, catch up with friends and go to the shops - normal life for a few days!

Last edited by MissBetty; Feb 7th 2013 at 5:29 pm.
MissBetty is offline  
Old Feb 7th 2013, 5:35 pm
  #93  
Ping-ponger
 
dunroving's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Dreich Alba
Posts: 11,964
dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Originally Posted by MissBetty View Post
Hi Tom thanks, I'm trying, I promise lol!

As for applying for jobs well yes, I've looked into that but its just not possible in my job. I have enough atm to live on for 3 months, if I could get a job I'd come home straight away BUT as a paramedic you have to attend not only an interview but a medical, fitness test, written exam and a practical skills assessment. You also have to provide your CPD (continual professional development) folder at the interview stage.

I'm a very proactive person and its SO frustrating seeing all these jobs I'm eligible for that I'm not in a position to apply for. Once I'm back I am sure I'll get a job no worries BUT it can be fairly long process (up to 2 months) and I need money to live on whilst I'm being 'processed'. I don't want my return to be marred by financial worries hence I have to stick it out for now and just carrying on saving every spare cent that I have. I do intend to start submitting applications 4-6 weeks before I return though just to get the ball rolling but letting them know I won't be back in the UK until the last week of May.

Another problem I am having - which maybe someone can provide the answer to - is that I don't have a current UK CRB (criminal records bureau) check. One recruitment agency I contacted were very interested and I went through all the hoops of registering with them - online assessments, copies of all documents etc etc only to be told they need a recent CRB check from me -my last one was 2007.

They said they'll do one for me if I provide them with identity documents and gave me two lists of acceptable documentation. The second list stated that I had to provide 5 pieces of ID which I don't have, the first list was 3 pieces which I do have but that list included my UK passport and driving licence. They asked me to send them to them registered post but I just couldn't do it, too risky IMHO! I can do it myself once I am back at the local police station and I'm getting a police check from Australia which I'm going to get before I go but that can take up to a month to process - gotta get my timing right!

On days off now so outta here as soon as the sun comes up! Can't wait to go to the movies, catch up with friends and go to the shops - normal life for a few days!
Just an idea, but have you heard of the Rent-A-Room scheme? If you have a second bedroom in your UK house, you could rent it out at least while you get on your feet. The R-a-R scheme is a government scheme that allows you to do this tax-free up to about £4k a year. Not sure how this would affect your eligibility for benefits, though.
dunroving is offline  
Old Feb 7th 2013, 5:39 pm
  #94  
Ping-ponger
 
dunroving's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Dreich Alba
Posts: 11,964
dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Originally Posted by MissBetty View Post
Hi Tom thanks, I'm trying, I promise lol!

As for applying for jobs well yes, I've looked into that but its just not possible in my job. I have enough atm to live on for 3 months, if I could get a job I'd come home straight away BUT as a paramedic you have to attend not only an interview but a medical, fitness test, written exam and a practical skills assessment. You also have to provide your CPD (continual professional development) folder at the interview stage.

I'm a very proactive person and its SO frustrating seeing all these jobs I'm eligible for that I'm not in a position to apply for. Once I'm back I am sure I'll get a job no worries BUT it can be fairly long process (up to 2 months) and I need money to live on whilst I'm being 'processed'. I don't want my return to be marred by financial worries hence I have to stick it out for now and just carrying on saving every spare cent that I have. I do intend to start submitting applications 4-6 weeks before I return though just to get the ball rolling but letting them know I won't be back in the UK until the last week of May.

Another problem I am having - which maybe someone can provide the answer to - is that I don't have a current UK CRB (criminal records bureau) check. One recruitment agency I contacted were very interested and I went through all the hoops of registering with them - online assessments, copies of all documents etc etc only to be told they need a recent CRB check from me -my last one was 2007.

They said they'll do one for me if I provide them with identity documents and gave me two lists of acceptable documentation. The second list stated that I had to provide 5 pieces of ID which I don't have, the first list was 3 pieces which I do have but that list included my UK passport and driving licence. They asked me to send them to them registered post but I just couldn't do it, too risky IMHO! I can do it myself once I am back at the local police station and I'm getting a police check from Australia which I'm going to get before I go but that can take up to a month to process - gotta get my timing right!

On days off now so outta here as soon as the sun comes up! Can't wait to go to the movies, catch up with friends and go to the shops - normal life for a few days!
I just spotted your CRB check question. I have to undergo Enhanced Disclosure (Scottish version of the CRB, but at a higher level because I work with students) every 3 years and had to get it done when I started here.

I have heard that having lived overseas can slow the process down (for obvious reasons). However, it didn't seem to cause a problem with mine, even though I was coming back from 6 years in the US, and 22 of the previous 23 years out of the country ... you could try contacting them to see if you can pre-empt this in any way.
dunroving is offline  
Old Feb 7th 2013, 6:04 pm
  #95  
Practical Paramedic
Thread Starter
 
MissBetty's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: The Beautiful South, UK
Posts: 931
MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Originally Posted by dunroving View Post
I just spotted your CRB check question. I have to undergo Enhanced Disclosure (Scottish version of the CRB, but at a higher level because I work with students) every 3 years and had to get it done when I started here.

I have heard that having lived overseas can slow the process down (for obvious reasons). However, it didn't seem to cause a problem with mine, even though I was coming back from 6 years in the US, and 22 of the previous 23 years out of the country ... you could try contacting them to see if you can pre-empt this in any way.
Thanks Dunroving that's cheered me up! I did think it was going to be a bit of a mare getting it but I intend to apply for my CRB as soon as I am back in Blighty, hopefully having the Aussie police check as well will help!

I will contact them though just to make sure I've covered all my bases!

I only have a one bedroom flat so can't take advantage of that scheme unfortunately, good suggestion though! If I can just grit my teeth and stick it out til May as I planned I'll have enough to live on for quite a while if I am careful
MissBetty is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2013, 12:26 am
  #96  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 18
carolandpete is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Hi MissBetty, I've just read this thread and I know exctly what you mean. It becomes an ache in our hearts to be back where we belong. It can be very lonely being an expat. I know we will be going 'home' within a few years and I'm really looking forward to that day and I'm sure as the time comes closer it will at times become unbearable. But I see my time abroad as a learning experience, not to sound too analytically introvert, but I see the time here and the next few years as a time to ask myself' what have I learned about myself through this experience?' Some of my answers are;

1) I'm British, and I took that for granted when I lived there but I now realise that it's a proud part of who I am and it runs through my veins, and I miss it. (especially M and S christmas dinners and a treacle tart to die for. I tried making one this Christmas, but the oven blew and it came out like a piece of granite, even the dogs wouldn't eat it and they eat anything, it's a good door stop though)

2) I don't want to grow old in this country and I want to be in the UK at the next coronation as I've never witnessed one live, (please hang in there Elizabeth II.)

3) I do not enjoy the fact of being the 'other' in a country and realise that immigrants to the UK really need our friendship.

I really hope the time flies for you over the next few months and just think of the wonderful hugs and welcome you will be receiving soon.

ps, In times of stress have you tried taking a magnesium supplement?, it's a bloody miracle supplement.
carolandpete is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2013, 1:44 am
  #97  
Practical Paramedic
Thread Starter
 
MissBetty's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: The Beautiful South, UK
Posts: 931
MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Originally Posted by carolandpete View Post
Hi MissBetty, I've just read this thread and I know exctly what you mean. It becomes an ache in our hearts to be back where we belong. It can be very lonely being an expat. I know we will be going 'home' within a few years and I'm really looking forward to that day and I'm sure as the time comes closer it will at times become unbearable. But I see my time abroad as a learning experience, not to sound too analytically introvert, but I see the time here and the next few years as a time to ask myself' what have I learned about myself through this experience?' Some of my answers are;

1) I'm British, and I took that for granted when I lived there but I now realise that it's a proud part of who I am and it runs through my veins, and I miss it. (especially M and S christmas dinners and a treacle tart to die for. I tried making one this Christmas, but the oven blew and it came out like a piece of granite, even the dogs wouldn't eat it and they eat anything, it's a good door stop though)

2) I don't want to grow old in this country and I want to be in the UK at the next coronation as I've never witnessed one live, (please hang in there Elizabeth II.)

3) I do not enjoy the fact of being the 'other' in a country and realise that immigrants to the UK really need our friendship.

I really hope the time flies for you over the next few months and just think of the wonderful hugs and welcome you will be receiving soon.

ps, In times of stress have you tried taking a magnesium supplement?, it's a bloody miracle supplement.

Thanks for your kind and thoughtful post, I SO agree with you on every single point you made, especially number 3 lol!

I never appreciated being British until now and I am so damn happy that my parents moved back to the UK when they did so I could grow up as a Brit not an Aussie I think I am just at the end of my tether right now and (to quote Bill Cosby's wonderful speech) I'm tired.

I'm tired of hearing about how great Australia is, fine, go ahead, happy for people that think that but I'm tired of people dissing MY country and telling me what a s***hole it is - its not!

I'm tired of everyone assuming that Australia is the land of milk and honey. Where the sun shines all the time, everyone is a tanned, incredible athlete/model in the making, everyone has a house with a pool and life is just one crazy whirl of BBQ's, beaches and beer, yet again, its not!

I'm tired of feeling invisible, of never being able to complain or have an opinion about anything, if I do I'm a 'whinging pom'. I'm a person with thoughts and feelings, I'm allowed to have my say and, trust me, I will!

I'm tired of working with rude, ignorant people who speak to me like crap and who think they are better than me just because they did their training in Australia. Yet time and time again I watch them stuff up, get complaints and get put onto performance reviews. Me? I get thank you letters, all my students pass their exams first time, I train the QFRS volunteers in my own time (because they help me out so much in this remote little part of the world), I work hard and don't go sick at the drop of a hat. I don't want thanks or praise. I'm fortunate enough to do a job that I love and it pays quite well, I'd just like to be treated with a little respect, is that too much to ask? Apparently so!

I'm tired of paying through the nose for things and being criticised for not buying Australian. I DO buy Australian products but if I want to buy a bottle of Chanel, or own a VW (as I do!) I will - that is my right.

I'm tired of missing out on family time. Sod the beaches and sunshine, I'd rather be sitting in my parents living room on a Sunday night in front of the fire, drinking tea and watching Downton Abbey thanks very much!

I have learnt a lot and my time here has been an adventure to say the least! I have no regrets, I've had good times as well as bad but its time to go home now. I'm so lucky that I have a family, a home and (eventually) a job to go back to, so many people don't have that choice. I know the UK is not perfect, it does have its problems like anywhere else but its MY country and I will never, ever take my life there for granted again!!

I hope that you get to go home soon and have some yummy treacle tart! My first meal back home with be a M&S prawn and mayo sandwich, Jaffa cakes, pickled onion Monster Munch and a custard tart lol! I will probably be sick afterwards but it will be worth it ha ha ha!!!!

I am off to the shops later so I'm going to take your advice re the magnesium supplements, I'm so stressed right now my hair is falling out in clumps

Last edited by MissBetty; Feb 11th 2013 at 2:52 am.
MissBetty is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2013, 4:55 am
  #98  
.
 
Snap Shot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Posts: 2,744
Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Originally Posted by MissBetty View Post
I've had good times as well as bad but its time to go home now.


(Well, I can dream can't I ?)
Snap Shot is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2013, 7:07 am
  #99  
BE Forum Addict
 
curleytops's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: A Proud Height, Northumberland UK
Posts: 1,162
curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Originally Posted by MissBetty View Post
I know the UK is not perfect, it does have its problems like anywhere else but its MY country and I will never, ever take my life there for granted again!!
Betty, I think you've just summed up the secret to an ex-pat's successful return home in that statement.
curleytops is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:40 am
  #100  
Practical Paramedic
Thread Starter
 
MissBetty's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: The Beautiful South, UK
Posts: 931
MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Originally Posted by Snap Shot View Post


(Well, I can dream can't I ?)
One day! x
MissBetty is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:56 am
  #101  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 18
carolandpete is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

I love M and S prawn and mayo, my God I'm salivating at the thought. Your scenario of a cup of tea in front of the fire whilst watching Downton Abbey is wonderful. Why don't you start a moving back to the UK thread/ blog, I'm sure there's be lots of us really interested watching the step by step process and maybe it would help the time fly by. I love your humour, so English and so much missed. We're 'over the ditch' in that other place and humour is so lacking. Hope the magnesium helps. Please, give us a moving back daily/ as often as you can blog.
carolandpete is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:01 am
  #102  
Practical Paramedic
Thread Starter
 
MissBetty's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: The Beautiful South, UK
Posts: 931
MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Originally Posted by curleytops View Post
Betty, I think you've just summed up the secret to an ex-pat's successful return home in that statement.


I'm trying to have a balanced view. It feels so right for me to return home now but I know there will be days when I may well think "What have I done?"

If I ever feel like that then I am going to come back on BE, read my own posts and remind myself of all the reasons I wanted to go back to the UK in the first place.

I read a great quote today - "Knowing when to walk away is wisdom, being willing is courage, walking away with your head held high is dignity." I like that!
MissBetty is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:48 am
  #103  
Practical Paramedic
Thread Starter
 
MissBetty's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: The Beautiful South, UK
Posts: 931
MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Originally Posted by carolandpete View Post
I love M and S prawn and mayo, my God I'm salivating at the thought. Your scenario of a cup of tea in front of the fire whilst watching Downton Abbey is wonderful. Why don't you start a moving back to the UK thread/ blog, I'm sure there's be lots of us really interested watching the step by step process and maybe it would help the time fly by. I love your humour, so English and so much missed. We're 'over the ditch' in that other place and humour is so lacking. Hope the magnesium helps. Please, give us a moving back daily/ as often as you can blog.
Lol! Someone on here suggested maybe I should write a book - maybe I will!!!!

I read other paramedic's books and its all - dashing through the night to save a dying child, blah blah blah! I'm probably not what most people expect a paramedic to be, I'm clumsy, I have a bit of a temper () and I always manage to put my foot right in it ha ha ha!!! I can, however, step up to the plate when it matters most!

Mine would be more along the lines of - walked into a elderly pts house who had chest pain, tripped up and fell face first into his lap. Pt laughed so hard he said his chest pain had now gone and could I please do that again! (True story!)

Or the one where, as a single responder, I walked in to a busy Sth London nightclub to deal with someone who'd been 'bottled' on the dance floor. Both hands full of equipment I made my way to the pt only to have my path blocked by a drunk idiot who said "Ooh, are you a strippergram love?" and promptly ripped my shirt open - grrrrr! This was met with a swift kick to the nuts by yours truly and, as I was refastening my shirt and he was writhing on the floor in agony, I said to him "Oh btw, paramedics wear steel toe capped boots LOVE, that'll hurt for a while, you might need to get a bag of frozen peas on the way home!" (Another true story!)

My fav story? Well that has to be the elderly lady who collapsed in church. Walked in and could not see the pt anywhere then I saw people pointing between the pews, I was astounded to see the service carry on around her whilst she lay on the cold floor. After checking her out I helped her up and put a blanket around her, I asked her "Do you know what happened love?" she said "I don't know dear, I think I was just bored and fell asleep!" Ha ha ha! Took her home and we had tea and battenburg cake - lovely!

Miss English humour so much, can't wait to be home where people 'get' me and my horse play. One of the girls I worked with this week said "Jeez, how DO you get away with the things you say to people?" I just thought I was being funny!!!!

Last edited by MissBetty; Feb 11th 2013 at 9:55 am.
MissBetty is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:53 am
  #104  
lf1
BE Forum Addict
 
lf1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Scotland, just!
Posts: 2,053
lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Originally Posted by MissBetty View Post
Lol! Someone on here suggested maybe I should write a book - maybe I will!!!!

I read other paramedic's books and its all - dashing through the night to save a dying child, blah blah blah! I'm probably not what most people expect a paramedic to be, I'm clumsy, I have a bit of a temper () and I always manage to put my foot right in it ha ha ha!!! I can, however, step up to the plate when it matters most!

Mine would be more along the lines of - walked into a elderly pts house who had chest pain, tripped up and fell face first into his lap. Pt laughed so hard he said his chest pain had now gone and could I please do that again! (True story!)

Or the one where, as a single responder, I walked in to a busy Sth London nightclub to deal with someone who'd been 'bottled' on the dance floor. Both hands full of equipment I made my way to the pt only to have my path blocked by a drunk idiot who said "Ooh, are you a strippergram love?" and promptly ripped my shirt open - grrrrr! This was met with a swift kick to the nuts by yours truly and, as I was refastening my shirt and he was writhing on the floor in agony, I said to him "Oh btw, paramedics wear steel toe capped boots LOVE, that'll hurt for a while, you might need to get a bag of frozen peas on the way home!" (Another true story!)

My fav story? Well that has to be the elderly lady who collapsed in church. Walked in and could not see the pt anywhere then I saw people pointing between the pews, I was astounded to see the service carry on around her whilst she lay on the cold floor. After checking her out I helped her up and put a blanket around her, I asked her "Do you know what happened love?" she said "I don't know dear, I think I was just bored!" ha ha ha! Took her home and we had tea and battenburg cake - lovely!

Miss English humour so much, can't wait to be home where people 'get' me and my horse play. One of the girls I worked with this week said "Jeez, how DO you get away with the things you say to people?" I just thought I was being funny!!!!

Get working on that book!
lf1 is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2013, 10:00 am
  #105  
Practical Paramedic
Thread Starter
 
MissBetty's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: The Beautiful South, UK
Posts: 931
MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Originally Posted by lf1 View Post
Get working on that book!
Lol! I shall!
MissBetty is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.