Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Old Feb 3rd 2013, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Dunroving - thanks I will be sure to take account of all those things. Its definitely a video interview not just phone - with presentation I have been offered paper submission or presentation at time I am trying to decide which is best?
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 9:31 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
Yes Betty it certainly does! It's a shame you couldn't save the poor fellow but be proud of what you do, hats off to you.
Thank you, yes it really does bring it home to you how precious life is. I can't wait to get home to my loved ones and spend more time with them. I don't want to be one of those people who never knew what they had until it was gone!
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 9:38 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Remember, all they can see is you - they can't see the notes, reminders, photos of the interview panel with names, etc., that you have pasted on the wall or on the desk in front of you.

One of my former students had all sorts of prompts around him when he interviewed for a job (he got it) ... it's not unusual when thinking of the answer to a question to look away from the questioner so as long as you aren't looking too far left and right or up (don't paste anything to the ceiling!), they have no idea what you are looking at.

It would be distracting to have too much "stuff" around you (in fact, come to think of it, the student in question had a phone interview, hence he could have as much as he wanted - he had books strewn around, etc.) - but little things ike the names of the interview panel (if you know them) can help in case you are worried you might forget them. It can make a big impression if you ask questions directly to an individual by name, so having the names written in clear view would help with someting like that.

Good luck!

[Oh, also, assume there will be some slight technical hitches so when they happen you can show you are adaptable. A slight pause in audio is very common so maybe practice waiting allowing pauses between exchanges - it's so easy to assume you can have the rapid-fire conversations you can have in person, but with video interviewing you have to adjust to the idea of making sure the person has finished speaking rather than "interjecting". If there aren't any technical hitches, then you will feel even more confident because you were prepared for them in case they did ... and be prepared to maybe talk more slowly and clearly (similar; audio issues) - and you can potentially use "audio problems" to buy some time "I'm sorry, the audio is a bit muffled, could I ask you to repeat the question?"]
That's brilliant advice! I'm filing away this post for future reference should I ever need it!
Old Feb 4th 2013, 2:38 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Ok so I'm just gonna have a bit of a ramble here and hope someone will give me a kick up the bum, good advice or something!

I've wanted to go home for so long now and its nearly my turn. Everything is in place, got my citizenship/passport, my stuff has been shipped, my one way ticket is booked and I'm moving back into my flat in the UK, seriously I can't wait! I'm booked onto a v expensive work related course in June, working hard here and saving as much as I can. I've had a lot of outlay recently with shipping/courses, bills for my UK home etc but now I'm saving every spare cent I have.

I'm living in rent free work accommodation atm and I'm house sitting for two months in March/April - 4 bed house with a pool My boss is going on leave soon and I am covering for him so I'll be earning good money but..................... I'm SO having a proper meltdown right now and I have no idea why? I want to leave NOW, even to the point that I was online today looking at changing my flights from May to next week!

My lovely boss sat me down today before he left for the week and said (nicely!) pull yourself together love, you'll be going home in 4 months with a nice wodge of money in the bank, you get to say your goodbyes to all your favourite places and people so you need to chill out. I cried A LOT, I know he's right but why do I feel so crap when I am so close to getting what I want?????

Has anyone else gone through this before returning home? Maybe its just the heat (39 today), the incessant tropical rain or the fact that I am alone so much as I work remote, I don't know! I just feel like I want to pack my bags right now and get on that plane asap!
Hi MissBetty,

I am not very good at putting things into words, but just wanted to let you know I am rooting for you and I hope everything works out great.

I have been reading your posts and think you are very brave and have an attitude that will take you far and help you succeed.

Time will fly by, we are into February already so not too long to go.

Take care!
Old Feb 4th 2013, 2:50 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Hi MissBetty,

I am not very good at putting things into words, but just wanted to let you know I am rooting for you and I hope everything works out great.

I have been reading your posts and think you are very brave and have an attitude that will take you far and help you succeed.

Take care!
Old Feb 4th 2013, 9:36 pm
Practical Paramedic

Hi MissBetty,

Take care!
Thanks for your lovely reply, it really means a lot to me when people like yourself take time to post words of encouragement. You'll be home soon won't you? June or July I think if memory serves me right?

I try to stay positive but sometimes everything just gets to me so much, not helped by my incompetent managers and some of the other staff in this area who are so obnoxious - drives me insane!!!! Ironically its my patients that keep me going - bless em!!!

Yesterday I got a serve for something ridiculous then I had to go to a job, one of my 'regulars' this HUGE lesbian Aboriginal lady who always calls for 'chest pain' when her and her girlfriend have had a fight. She always gives me heaps (for fun!) especially when she has an audience so I play along cos she's a real character.

Yesterday she's laughing at me and saying "Hey baby girl, maybe you wanna give up on those boys and come out with me ha ha ha!" Cue much laughter from all the women at scene. "Nah" says I, "you're not my type!" "Why?" she says "Cos I'm black? Cos I'm fat? Cos I'm a woman? Trust me baby you don't know what your missing!" Peals of laughter from the audience once more. "Nope!" I say and then I rub her calf "Your legs are too hairy!!" then we all just cracked up - haven't laughed like that in weeks ha ha ha!!!!!

One of my close friends from here is off to Europe with friends in May and they are spending their last few days in Amsterdam, they fly home the day I get back -damn! Last night I decided to change my flight back to a week earlier so I can meet up with him and his friends, cost me $300 but it worth every single cent. 16 weeks now just gotta hang on in there!

Last edited by MissBetty; Feb 4th 2013 at 9:44 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 10:07 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Thanks for your lovely reply, it really means a lot to me when people like yourself take time to post words of encouragement. You'll be home soon won't you? June or July I think if memory serves me right?

I try to stay positive but sometimes everything just gets to me so much, not helped by my incompetent managers and some of the other staff in this area who are so obnoxious - drives me insane!!!! Ironically its my patients that keep me going - bless em!!!

Yesterday I got a serve for something ridiculous then I had to go to a job, one of my 'regulars' this HUGE lesbian Aboriginal lady who always calls for 'chest pain' when her and her girlfriend have had a fight. She always gives me heaps (for fun!) especially when she has an audience so I play along cos she's a real character.

Yesterday she's laughing at me and saying "Hey baby girl, maybe you wanna give up on those boys and come out with me ha ha ha!" Cue much laughter from all the women at scene. "Nah" says I, "you're not my type!" "Why?" she says "Cos I'm black? Cos I'm fat? Cos I'm a woman? Trust me baby you don't know what your missing!" Peals of laughter from the audience once more. "Nope!" I say and then I rub her calf "Your legs are too hairy!!" then we all just cracked up - haven't laughed like that in weeks ha ha ha!!!!!

One of my close friends from here is off to Europe with friends in May and they are spending their last few days in Amsterdam, they fly home the day I get back -damn! Last night I decided to change my flight back to a week earlier so I can meet up with him and his friends, cost me $300 but it worth every single cent. 16 weeks now just gotta hang on in there!
Ha ha sounds like a right laugh

Yep I would say that $300.00 is definitely worth it to see friends and I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Yes I am leaving here end of July, or sooner if I can get a dog kennel on the ship!
I feel so much happier now that I am actually going home. I was so depressed for such a long time, feeling trapped and resentful, but I feel more at peace with myself and can now appreciate and enjoy my last few months in Canada
Old Feb 5th 2013, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Miss Betty don't mean to hijack your thread but some of the kids I work with say the most darling things. I am a speech therapy asst (only have bachelors degree) and do home health. I have children with CP, autism, blind, Down Syndrome etc. One of my favorite clients who has Down Syndrome is 17 and we are trying to work on word expansion and use of verbs. He is doing super but I showed him picture the other day of boy sneezing. Anticipated response is "the boy is sneezing'. My client said "the boy is bless you"..Brought smile to my face. We are also working on him being able to generalise/carry over these skills to real life. So I actually did some thing myself like lie on floor and ask him what I was doing. Did very well. Last thing I did was go by the door and wave. Anticipated response "You are waving goodbye". Response was "drive careful". Gotta love 'em Also good luck on your back to the UK.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 1:07 am
Practical Paramedic

Ha ha sounds like a right laugh

Yep I would say that $300.00 is definitely worth it to see friends and I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Yes I am leaving here end of July, or sooner if I can get a dog kennel on the ship!
I feel so much happier now that I am actually going home. I was so depressed for such a long time, feeling trapped and resentful, but I feel more at peace with myself and can now appreciate and enjoy my last few months in Canada
Glad to hear you are feeling better and on countdown for your big move! There is nothing worse than feeling trapped, I know I don't have long to go now but I'm ready to spread my wings and get out of this little corner of the world. I feel like a little bird, stuck in a cage waiting, waiting, waiting for someone to leave the door open!!!!! See you in TESCOS lol!
Old Feb 5th 2013, 1:13 am
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by fulwood
Miss Betty don't mean to hijack your thread but some of the kids I work with say the most darling things. I am a speech therapy asst (only have bachelors degree) and do home health. I have children with CP, autism, blind, Down Syndrome etc. One of my favorite clients who has Down Syndrome is 17 and we are trying to work on word expansion and use of verbs. He is doing super but I showed him picture the other day of boy sneezing. Anticipated response is "the boy is sneezing'. My client said "the boy is bless you"..Brought smile to my face. We are also working on him being able to generalise/carry over these skills to real life. So I actually did some thing myself like lie on floor and ask him what I was doing. Did very well. Last thing I did was go by the door and wave. Anticipated response "You are waving goodbye". Response was "drive careful". Gotta love 'em Also good luck on your back to the UK.
Awww that's lovely! That's the thing about life isn't it? For every person that's a stinker and makes you feel bad there are always some people who put on a smile on your face

I know you have been through a very rough time lately and I hope that you are doing ok? Do you think you might move back to the UK in the future? Hope things work out for you too
Old Feb 5th 2013, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

MissBetty, I am not sure about my return to the UK. I do believe I will move back for good but not for a few years but one never knows right? I have good friends and recently just in touch with family after decades of no contact but I worry about a job. My career here is not transferable to UK. I am looking at going to graduate school and/or applying for job in school system so I have lots of time off like 2-3 months in summer, 2 weeks at Xmas etc. I would use that time to travel. I'm just not ready yet. Still trying to make my way thru loss of my brother.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 2:29 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty, I am not sure about my return to the UK. I do believe I will move back for good but not for a few years but one never knows right? I have good friends and recently just in touch with family after decades of no contact but I worry about a job. My career here is not transferable to UK. I am looking at going to graduate school and/or applying for job in school system so I have lots of time off like 2-3 months in summer, 2 weeks at Xmas etc. I would use that time to travel. I'm just not ready yet. Still trying to make my way thru loss of my brother.
It must be so hard for you right now, can't even begin to imagine just what you are going through. I truly hope you get the support you need from your friends and family to deal with your loss. The world isn't going anywhere and all those amazing places, you will no doubt be traveling to in the future, are just sitting there waiting for you when you are ready to see them. Sending you a big hug and wishing you well x
Old Feb 5th 2013, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

thanks MissBetty. When I said I had good friends and family I meant back in UK. With the exception of my brother's presence my journey in the US has been a rather solitary one I am sad to say. Many folks have found likewise though..
Old Feb 5th 2013, 4:27 am
Practical Paramedic

thanks MissBetty. When I said I had good friends and family I meant back in UK. With the exception of my brother's presence my journey in the US has been a rather solitary one I am sad to say. Many folks have found likewise though..
I do understand, I've posted on here before how hard its been to make friends over here. I do have a handful of good friends here but not many, I am grateful for the ones I do have though!
Old Feb 5th 2013, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Fulwood, what a gift you have! How could this not be transferable to the UK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.