Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

The Collywobbles - going back this month!

The Collywobbles - going back this month!

Old Mar 8th 2013, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Collywobbles - going back this month!

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
We are living the nightmare of trying to sell and car and boat on Craigslist, everyone seems nice enough, even sound quite normal on the phone, and thats where it goes pear shaped.
One classic car and an old boat that runs like flippin new! both priced cheap and both attracting loony tunes that drive 3 or 4 hours to stand and chat and then go home with the parting words of, if I had the money, or not quite what I was looking for! We made detailed videos of every minor detail, sent them links and they watched them, they can see exactly what each item is and has wrong or right with it. I think I may not survive this stress.
Sometimes giving too much information overwhelms some people so they just shut down and don't take any of it in
Old Mar 8th 2013, 8:14 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
Good grief ! I knew there were some morons out there, but really?? Driving for so long only to turn around and go home again?? Too bad you can't go back and edit the ad to say 'No time wasters, morons, twits, twats, and general pain in the butts please"

You'll survive - promise! If it's a classic car, are there any classic car sites you can advertise on?
Funny enough Dh did say to put that stuff on the add, I had to tone it down, but it does say, no time wasters, no tire kickers, serious buyers only and ask your wife before calling

Originally Posted by fulwood
Mummy in Foothills.. i need to sell my brother's truck. I was thinking of Craigslist but now think changed my mind. I live in retirement community and it's sitting where folks can see it's for sale but no takers yet. I would keep it but it's a truck and stick shift - don't like trucks and can't drive stick shift. don't want to learn either.. I heard you can take car to CarMax and they will look at it and maybe make an offer. I might even try that but not desperate to sell his truck so can wait a while. There are nutters for sure on Craigslist. I posted something once and suddenly things from "Nigeria" became prominent in my life.
We put it without an email link, all that got us was scammer emails, so we have a cell phone number, a cheap $20 throw away cell phone, and in big letters NO TEXTS calls only and still we get "do you have your item?" text messages. If it was a newer car I'd do carmax in a heartbeat, but it's a 1970. The classic sites are no better, lots of scam emails, and people wanting you to sell in their showroom on commission.
It'll go eventually, it's picking through the time wasters that gets me so mad.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 8:19 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Sometimes giving too much information overwhelms some people so they just shut down and don't take any of it in
I think so too.
This week my new strategy, when they email back to say they love the videos and want to see the car I remind them nicely of the things that made other buyers say well if it didn't have this or had that I'd buy. Just to make sure they aren't driving 3 hours to turn around and waste our day at the same time.
I had another this morning, 3 hours away, can we meet halfway
It doesn't help that Dh is not social and struggles with this kind on interaction (possible Apsie) so a stranger for an hour or two in his garage and him talking nicely and being friendly drains him for the whole day.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Since we are talking about selling things, I will ask this here to see if anyone has any ideas.

I have a red fox fur coat/jacket that I have never worn in 25 years - seriously! It was given to me by a wealthy boyfriend years ago as a gift and I haven't worn it because I am "anti-fur". I need to sell it and I have hesitated to put it on Craigslist because I don't want to meet someone in a parking lot or cafe with a fur coat. Besides, you never know what kind of person you are meeting. Is there anywhere else I could sell it other than Craigslist? Come to think of it . . . eBay perhaps! I haven't used that in years, though. I also have NO idea what it is worth.

I have a lot of things I need to sell, in fact. Lots of silk designer dresses in beautiful condition, too. Books, I no longer need, etc. All this stuff is beginning to bother me because I just don't need it any more.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 8:35 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

I'd look on eBay windsong. Try looking for one or two that are similar to yours and watch them to see what they go for.
Put in the description I put in Red Fox fur coat Jacket and a lot came up priced from a couple hundred on up to many hundreds.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I'd look on eBay windsong. Try looking for one or two that are similar to yours and watch them to see what they go for.
Put in the description I put in Red Fox fur coat Jacket and a lot came up priced from a couple hundred on up to many hundreds.
I agree, Mummy. It's probably the best place for the fur coat and the clothing - and safer for me, too
Old Mar 8th 2013, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Take some good photos, including of the label, to post.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

If you haven't used ebay, or not much, start listing now - they severely limit the number of items / value you can list until you've established good feedback. It's a lot stricter than it used to be - but very useful, especially for niche items.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Another good Craigslist day today - more things gone!

Bed next.... back to student days of a mattress on the floor for a couple of weeks.

The emptier this place gets, the less wobbly the collies

Though I am realising what a pain it's going to be living without my stuff for some weeks
Old Mar 11th 2013, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

we had a tanning bed listed on ebay for the past week, everything appeared to be going well but today when the bidding ended it seemed that the 'winner' was just a fake. He/she hasn't responded to any emails and despite the fact the ad said 'buyer collects' they live nowhere near us.
What pleasure do folk get from fake bidding I wonder? It's really pissed me off as I thought we'd finally be getting underway clearing out the house
Old Mar 11th 2013, 4:08 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by happyglow
Another good Craigslist day today - more things gone!

Bed next.... back to student days of a mattress on the floor for a couple of weeks.

The emptier this place gets, the less wobbly the collies

Though I am realising what a pain it's going to be living without my stuff for some weeks
But just think about when you get to the other side and start opening things up again..LOL it will feel like Christmas
Old Mar 11th 2013, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

But just think about when you get to the other side and start opening things up again..LOL it will feel like Christmas
Good point!

Opening up the box containing my art supplies will definitely feel like christmas
Old Mar 11th 2013, 4:17 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by happyglow
Good point!

Opening up the box containing my art supplies will definitely feel like christmas
I'm getting excited for you ! Once I get settled I have 12 boxes that are being stored for me by friends in Australia and I'll get them shipped over. I haven't been in them for 3 years roflmao.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 4:54 pm
Yorkshire Lass

To think I should have been getting on a plane tomorrow! But due to passport issues I've had to delay my departure to April 2nd. I had even hoped that March 19th would be my 'GO' date, but unless a miracle happens that won't be possible either Wahhhhhhh !! At this stage even April 2nd isn't fixed, because I can't do anything until I get my passport, and then I'll race around like a crazy person packing my suitcases and book the first flight out..LOL

So I'm sitting here, with no airline ticket, and naturally as I have to keep spending US money to cover food and expenses, my funds are going down. Thankfully I had exchanged the majority of it into UK funds, leaving enough in my bank to cover my airline ticket and extra for the basic stuff I'll need until I leave, but that was working on a mid March departure..

I could just cry ! LOL
Old Mar 11th 2013, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

To think I should have been getting on a plane tomorrow! But due to passport issues I've had to delay my departure to April 2nd. I had even hoped that March 19th would be my 'GO' date, but unless a miracle happens that won't be possible either Wahhhhhhh !! At this stage even April 2nd isn't fixed, because I can't do anything until I get my passport, and then I'll race around like a crazy person packing my suitcases and book the first flight out..LOL

So I'm sitting here, with no airline ticket, and naturally as I have to keep spending US money to cover food and expenses, my funds are going down. Thankfully I had exchanged the majority of it into UK funds, leaving enough in my bank to cover my airline ticket and extra for the basic stuff I'll need until I leave, but that was working on a mid March departure..

I could just cry ! LOL
What's the problem with your passport? Just waiting for a renewal? Don't worry, it will come through soon, and you will be winging your way home before you know it Take the extra time you have here to revisit favourite places and bid last farewells to friends

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.