Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

The Collywobbles - going back this month!

The Collywobbles - going back this month!

Old Mar 8th 2013, 2:41 am
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Collywobbles - going back this month!

Originally Posted by happyglow
Ooh, I think we land on the same day! I'll give you a cheery if somewhat frazzled wave from Harwich
And I will give you an undoubtedly exhausted but ecstatic wave from Heathrow....LOL
Old Mar 8th 2013, 2:46 am
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

You're right.... reality is brown and vaguely cubic. Got my shiny new suitcase out too, seems to be the best place to put things I don't want accidentally shipped.

Is it whisky o'clock yet?
It's whiskey o'clock somewhere in the world

I'm lucky I guess, I don't have any boxes to pack, nothing to ship. Everything I own can fit into two suitcases. My biggest decision is whether to take just the one suitcase and have the other sent 'unaccompanied baggage' later once I get settled, or have it sent via FedEx. I just don't relish the thought of taking it with me and having to struggle with two suitcases, 1 laptop bag and one handbag all the way through Heathrow, and on the tube during peak time..LOL. Plus don't get me started on possible stairs, although when I was there last year I had more than one gentleman offer to help me take my one suitcase at the time, up the stairs Chivalry isn't dead, especially in the UK. Here in the US though, people would undoubtedly just watch me struggle and complain the entire time.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
It's whiskey o'clock somewhere in the world

I'm lucky I guess, I don't have any boxes to pack, nothing to ship. Everything I own can fit into two suitcases. My biggest decision is whether to take just the one suitcase and have the other sent 'unaccompanied baggage' later once I get settled, or have it sent via FedEx. I just don't relish the thought of taking it with me and having to struggle with two suitcases, 1 laptop bag and one handbag all the way through Heathrow, and on the tube during peak time..LOL. Plus don't get me started on possible stairs, although when I was there last year I had more than one gentleman offer to help me take my one suitcase at the time, up the stairs Chivalry isn't dead, especially in the UK. Here in the US though, people would undoubtedly just watch me struggle and complain the entire time.
Yes, the tube is fun with lots of luggage. Shipping a case is a very good idea!

I'll have a wheeled case, a large rucksack and a dog to juggle, should be fun, with four trains, a ferry and two taxis, not to mention the flight.

(.....thinks......)

Hmm, perhaps I'll stay in Canada

Last edited by happyglow; Mar 8th 2013 at 3:02 am. Reason: speelong mistuk
Old Mar 8th 2013, 3:24 am
Yorkshire Lass

Yes, the tube is fun with lots of luggage. Shipping a case is a very good idea!

I'll have a wheeled case, a large rucksack and a dog to juggle, should be fun, with four trains, a ferry and two taxis, not to mention the flight.

(.....thinks......)

Hmm, perhaps I'll stay in Canada
Bite your tongue lol
Old Mar 8th 2013, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Bite your tongue lol
mmmf!
Old Mar 8th 2013, 7:24 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
But remember that the place you left has changed in the years you were away !
You're right. Yes, there are still pies and pasties. WH Smiths and M&S are still on every high street. The trains are still often late. People still chat to you at the bus stop. People still eat fish and chips and go down the pub. The countryside is still stunningly beautiful and we still have all those wonderful public footpaths.

But things are SO much better than when I left. Now as well as fish and chips, there are Thai and Indian and Chinese restaurants in every town. Pubs serve amazing food, not just chicken in a basket. My friends go on foreign holidays instead of to Scarborough. The arts scene has exploded with interesting galleries and theaters even in small towns. Supermarkets are so much better.

Yes, things certainly have changed while the OP has been away. It's brilliant here

Good luck to everyone coming home. I hope you have a blast.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
You're right. Yes, there are still pies and pasties. WH Smiths and M&S are still on every high street. The trains are still often late. People still chat to you at the bus stop. People still eat fish and chips and go down the pub. The countryside is still stunningly beautiful and we still have all those wonderful public footpaths.

But things are SO much better than when I left. Now as well as fish and chips, there are Thai and Indian and Chinese restaurants in every town. Pubs serve amazing food, not just chicken in a basket. My friends go on foreign holidays instead of to Scarborough. The arts scene has exploded with interesting galleries and theaters even in small towns. Supermarkets are so much better.

Yes, things certainly have changed while the OP has been away. It's brilliant here

Thank you!
Old Mar 8th 2013, 3:01 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't worry about the car because depending on what make, model and year of the car they usual sell fast, especially if you go on CraigsList, so leave that for the last week or two. If its an older model car, still in good working order and you're not desperate for any money you'd make if you sold it, there are organizations out there who are crying out for donated vehicles to give to those families and people who for whatever reason are unable to get a car of their own.
We are living the nightmare of trying to sell and car and boat on Craigslist, everyone seems nice enough, even sound quite normal on the phone, and thats where it goes pear shaped.
One classic car and an old boat that runs like flippin new! both priced cheap and both attracting loony tunes that drive 3 or 4 hours to stand and chat and then go home with the parting words of, if I had the money, or not quite what I was looking for! We made detailed videos of every minor detail, sent them links and they watched them, they can see exactly what each item is and has wrong or right with it. I think I may not survive this stress.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 3:06 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
We are living the nightmare of trying to sell and car and boat on Craigslist, everyone seems nice enough, even sound quite normal on the phone, and thats where it goes pear shaped.
One classic car and an old boat that runs like flippin new! both priced cheap and both attracting loony tunes that drive 3 or 4 hours to stand and chat and then go home with the parting words of, if I had the money, or not quite what I was looking for! We made detailed videos of every minor detail, sent them links and they watched them, they can see exactly what each item is and has wrong or right with it. I think I may not survive this stress.
Good grief ! I knew there were some morons out there, but really?? Driving for so long only to turn around and go home again?? Too bad you can't go back and edit the ad to say 'No time wasters, morons, twits, twats, and general pain in the butts please"

You'll survive - promise! If it's a classic car, are there any classic car sites you can advertise on?
Old Mar 8th 2013, 3:07 pm
Yorkshire Lass

mmmf!
Ok, you can stop biting now..
Old Mar 8th 2013, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Mummy in Foothills.. i need to sell my brother's truck. I was thinking of Craigslist but now think changed my mind. I live in retirement community and it's sitting where folks can see it's for sale but no takers yet. I would keep it but it's a truck and stick shift - don't like trucks and can't drive stick shift. don't want to learn either.. I heard you can take car to CarMax and they will look at it and maybe make an offer. I might even try that but not desperate to sell his truck so can wait a while. There are nutters for sure on Craigslist. I posted something once and suddenly things from "Nigeria" became prominent in my life.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Last time I sold a car in So. CA I used the free ads in the newspaper and sold it no problem. That's what I am going to use this time.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 8th 2013, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fulwood
Mummy in Foothills.. i need to sell my brother's truck. I was thinking of Craigslist but now think changed my mind. I live in retirement community and it's sitting where folks can see it's for sale but no takers yet. I would keep it but it's a truck and stick shift - don't like trucks and can't drive stick shift. don't want to learn either.. I heard you can take car to CarMax and they will look at it and maybe make an offer. I might even try that but not desperate to sell his truck so can wait a while. There are nutters for sure on Craigslist. I posted something once and suddenly things from "Nigeria" became prominent in my life.
Maybe it depends where you are - so far, touch wood, I've had very positive experiences with Craigslist, including selling my car last weekend.

You could always try ebay too.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.