Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Broadchurch and Other UK TV Programs

Broadchurch and Other UK TV Programs

Old Sep 16th 2013, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broadchurch and Other UK TV Programs

Originally Posted by dunroving
I watched the first episode of BB 1949 but missed the rest.

It was a bit like a Jeremy Kyle Show spin-off, quite cruel and mean-spirited. However, it did expose the underlying weaknesses of the system, including the fact that people with genuine disabilities are less likely to get work now, even if they want it.

The woman who had been on long-term "disability" was not a very sympathetic character - all full of p*ss and vinegar and an overweening sense of entitlement. You get the sense if you found her a job that was do-able she'd find a reason why she was "incapable".
I wouldn't go as far as putting it in the same category as Jeremy Kyle. The difficulty with this type of programme is the producers have to make it interesting and therefore go searching for people who fit a certain criteria. All a bit stage managed. For me it was revealing that the young disabled lad was able to find work, that the retired man was able to find companionship and security, albeit in, what I thought, was a rather uncompassionate manner and I agree with you entirely about the woman.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michali
I have just watched parts 2 and 3 and need to look for part 1. What an excellent program! It was great to see how "cracking the whip" inspired most of them to improve their attitudes towards work and to appreciate how lucky they are to live in today's world of benefits, rather than in 1949.
Just watched part 2, and yes, I agree with your review. I'm still in conflict with the 'cruel to be kind' difference in the benefits system between then and now.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia with Simon Reeve pt 2.

There's some scary stuff in that country.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Fair enough.

But I've been using those two sites for a couple of years with no trouble at all.
Thanks, but I have discovered it has recently been added to Hulu Plus, for which I have a subscription! Just watched the first episode. I am already hooked!
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 6:29 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Broadchurch and Other UK TV Programs

Yay! Series 5 of "Downton Abbey" starts in under 2 hours (9pm UK time)

I'm so excited!
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah to Downton Abbey!
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 9:46 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Good episode..

this is what happens

Spoiler:
You didn't really think I would tell you?
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

That is so neat! Of course I clicked on it even though I had seen the episode!
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 12:22 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
Anyone watch the new Doc Martin yet? I found it a bit cheesey but good fun all the same.
Originally Posted by northernbird
I did and I agree. Hopefully it will get better. Martin Clunes is still deliciously grumpy as Doc.
Originally Posted by dunroving
I was a bit disappointed with it (watched it on my PVR last night), which is a real shame because I was expecting to really enjoy it (I enjoyed past series). I know it is supposed to be quirky/silly but I thought huge parts were just downright bonkers and the plot could have been written by a 10-year-old, nothing particularly cleverly amusing.
After having been away, I am trying to catch up on my telly watching and I just watched the first episode of the new series. Thanks for the heads up. I too found it disappointing. It reminded me of when people try to make a feature length film of a 1/2 hour sitcom and they run out of material. I have heard from friends that the second episode was better, so I have my fingers crossed.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Yay! Series 5 of "Downton Abbey" starts in under 2 hours (9pm UK time)

I'm so excited!
I have had it ready to go on my VPN here in the US but hubby wasn't home last night, and we have watched every other previous episode together. So I had to grit my teeth and watch something else...greater love hath no woman...
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

No one pointed out that there is a huge difference between 1949 and 2013. Then, there was full employment !
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

I have just been watching all of the Above Suspicion episodes on Youtube. What a great show. I found the usual Midsomer Murders, Dalziel & Pascoe, etc. all getting a bit lame but this show totally captured my attention. There are 4 'series' each one a 2 or 3 part event. Wish there were more. Now I am going to have to find something else really good to watch. Any recommendations?

There is an uploader on youtube named NK MX. He gives his videos abbreviations so that they don't get deleted by the powers that be. His shows are all British favourites.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

British TV and Britain at its best..........

How many faces do you recognize?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_m7Yi6g3xg
Old Oct 5th 2013, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
British TV and Britain at its best..........

How many faces do you recognize?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_m7Yi6g3xg
Love it! Basil Brush is my all time favourite
Old Oct 5th 2013, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bandrui
I have just been watching all of the Above Suspicion episodes on Youtube. What a great show. I found the usual Midsomer Murders, Dalziel & Pascoe, etc. all getting a bit lame but this show totally captured my attention. There are 4 'series' each one a 2 or 3 part event. Wish there were more. Now I am going to have to find something else really good to watch. Any recommendations?

There is an uploader on youtube named NK MX. He gives his videos abbreviations so that they don't get deleted by the powers that be. His shows are all British favourites.
Mmm, will have to check that out - as soon as I complete season 2 of Life on Mars, which is brilliant! Been watching the new Downton Abbey but it has been disappointing so far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.