Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

Old Feb 26th 2021, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

Originally Posted by sportpix
Who cares? I wouldn’t send either of them back. I have legally held two British passports for 30 years. What’s wrong with two British driving licences? You did not ask for two but they sent them to you. And now that the UK is not in the EU the process needs to work for you to be able to drive in the UK and the EU. Stick with it 💪
And of course its illegal to park in some areas, and to speed. So next time when I know that I have accidentally driven over a speed limit, should I write to the authorities to admit to it?
Some people would seem to think so.....
And this is not so hard to do in Portugal with changes of speed limit changing 3 times in 50 mtrs on some roads (and with car sat nav being totally wrong in may many stretches of road at least where I am).
Old Feb 26th 2021, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever
And of course its illegal to park in some areas, and to speed. So next time when I know that I have accidentally driven over a speed limit, should I write to the authorities to admit to it?
And this is not so hard to do in Portugal with changes of speed limit changing 3 times in 50 mtrs on some roads (and with car sat nav being totally wrong in may many stretches of road at least where I am).
Laws are a fact of life. Each of us makes a choice whether to comply with them, or ignore them and face the consequences when caught.
Old Feb 26th 2021, 12:49 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever
"Is it a legal requirement to do so?" would appear to me to be the salient question on which that matter would be judged by some people
Old Feb 27th 2021, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

I now have the temporary licence from IMT Faro, and they took biometric data last Monday.

I got an email from them on Friday (yesterday), however, requesting my replacement UK licence, rather than the original one I sent along with the other documents. I believed I'd lost my original licence (with which I made the original application to exchange in October), so requested another one from DVLA. Had this sent out to me here, but it was wrongly addressed and was sent back to UK. At this point IMT (finally!) emailed, and at that point I decided that rather than muddying already muddy waters further it would be best to send them the licence with which I made the application. I contacted DVLA, who told me this would be OK when IMT returned my UK licence.

However, it obviously wasn't, as I just got a email from IMT requesting the replacement licence, as presumably DVLA had refused to accept it. DVLA clearly gave me wrong information over the phone, so it's good to see bureaucratic incompetence is not solely a Portuguese phenomenon I had it sent yesterday from UK with DHL direct to IMT in Faro, as the email stated it had to arrive within 10 working days. Hopefully they'll get it and all will be OK.....

Last edited by suiko; Feb 27th 2021 at 12:40 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2021, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suiko
I now have the temporary licence from IMT Faro, and they took biometric data last Monday.

I got an email from them on Friday (yesterday), however, requesting my replacement UK licence, rather than the original one I sent along with the other documents. I believed I'd lost my original licence (with which I made the original application to exchange in October), so requested another one from DVLA. Had this sent out to me here, but it was wrongly addressed and was sent back to UK. At this point IMT (finally!) emailed, and at that point I decided that rather than muddying already muddy waters further it would be best to send them the licence with which I made the application. I contacted DVLA, who told me this would be OK when IMT returned my UK licence.

However, it obviously wasn't, as I just got a email from IMT requesting the replacement licence, as presumably DVLA had refused to accept it. DVLA clearly gave me wrong information over the phone, so it's good to see bureaucratic incompetence is not solely a Portuguese phenomenon I had it sent yesterday from UK with DHL direct to IMT in Faro, as the email stated it had to arrive within 10 working days. Hopefully they'll get it and all will be OK.....
DVLA would have marked up your original licence as being revoked (lost/stolen), a pain for you but nice to see the two systems are still talking to each other and identifying where (not in your case) a licence was being presented fraudulenty.
Old Feb 27th 2021, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

True. I guess at least my situation provides proof of that
Old Mar 15th 2021, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

After what seems like forever my Portuguese driving licence finally arrived today. My original application, supported by a medical, was made last September and I then went to IMT Faro on 12 February to provide the required signature and photo. I was told the new passport would be posted two me in "about two weeks", but after two weeks I received a message from the guy doing my paperwork to say that as my British pink A4 paper driving licence had my middle name listed as "J" instead of Josef I would have to go to the parish council in Lagos to somehow prove who I actually am, and of course he had to come with me to sort it all out. The people at the parish council were very friendly and very helpful.

The following day I was provided with some sort of official document to say that am actually who I claim to be and after taking this to my very helpful and very efficient paperwork guy it was submitted to IMT to conclude the long drawn out process. Anyway, I now have the licence and feel slightly less stressed than I have for some time.

Although Monday (and Tuesday) is supposed to be a "dry" day I've got a bottle of cool Sagres open and have also pulled the cork on a rather nice bottle of local red wine, as I think this is worth celebrating!

Hope this is of help to others waiting for theirs.
Old Mar 15th 2021, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

sportpix
Hope this is of help to others waiting for theirs.[/QUOTE]

No help to my wife and I. We've been waiting since 1 September 2020 as well and there is still no sign of our licences.
Old Mar 15th 2021, 6:18 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Although Monday (and Tuesday) is supposed to be a "dry" day I've got a bottle of cool Sagres open and have also pulled the cork on a rather nice bottle of local red wine, as I think this is worth celebrating!
Ah - you've found a wine you like

What is it?
Old Mar 16th 2021, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Ah - you've found a wine you like

What is it?
On the label it says:
Vinha Do Torrao
Grande Escolha
Vinho Regional Peninsula De Setubal
Vintage 2017.

I bought a mixed box of a dozen when Pingo had a promotion on a few weeks ago. There were a couple of other nice ones too.

I also found a quite nice bottle in Auchan supermarket called Tom baton - Duro. It wasn't on offer but as my son is called Tom I thought I'd try it.

Very nice, almost getting towards a decent Aussie Shiraz...
Old Mar 16th 2021, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice

On the label it says:
Vinho Regional Peninsula De Setubal
I have always preferred wine, especially reds, from the Setubal / Sado region. Very soft.

Old Mar 18th 2021, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

I won't get on to wine I'm waaay too much of a wine geek...

Still no sign of my licence. It MAY have been sent to my old address (IMT wouldn't change the address without a physical document from SEF, which as we know is not currently being provided), but I don't think so as I am still in touch to some degree with my former landlord.

IMT definitely received my replacement licence (sent by DHL from UK) - received notification of delivery from CTT.

Does anyone know if any notification is sent when the physical licence is actually issued? And how long might this take?

Yeah, I know... no one knows this stuff... just getting it out of my system I guess
Old Mar 18th 2021, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suiko
Does anyone know if any notification is sent when the physical licence is actually issued? And how long might this take?
Yeah, I know... no one knows this stuff... just getting it out of my system I guess
At least 6 months in my experience before it arrives in the normal post, not even registered mail.
Old Mar 29th 2021, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

For those here who have submitted their physical UK license and been issued with an interim Portuguese one as a pdf, with a short expiry date - if that first interim licence has exprired, have you received a second interim one? Was this automatic, or did you have to request? My interim one expires mid-April . (Apologies if it's already been addressed- lost track of what has and hasn't in this long thread)
Old Mar 29th 2021, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Even tho I have applied but not had any reply at all. If and when I do get a reply or request to submit licence will ignore it as extension granted.
i suggest you go to DVLA site to check your UK DL validity....you may find you still have valid UK licence

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.