Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

Old Mar 29th 2021, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

Originally Posted by wellinever
Even tho I have applied but not had any reply at all. If and when I do get a reply or request to submit licence will ignore it as extension granted.
i suggest you go to DVLA site to check your UK DL validity....you may find you still have valid UK licence
I'll do so out of curiosity to see how the process is or isn't progressing. But even if it is valid, I can't use it anyway.

Edit - licence still valid on DVLA site

Last edited by campos; Mar 29th 2021 at 5:13 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2021, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by campos
For those here who have submitted their physical UK license and been issued with an interim Portuguese one as a pdf, with a short expiry date - if that first interim licence has exprired, have you received a second interim one? Was this automatic, or did you have to request? My interim one expires mid-April . (Apologies if it's already been addressed- lost track of what has and hasn't in this long thread)

I don't believe there is a set/routine procedure.
Example....
My application in October
Recieved interim February
Interim expired 4 weeks before they signed and sent it (yes Jan 😂)
Spoke to 3 different imt people with 3 different answers "that's not possible", "all extended to end of march due covid", "all extended to 2022 due imt back log"

They have had all my docs including real UK licence since Jan, confirmed over phone its being processed, end of Feb recieved email request for a scan of my licence, called imt to explain they already have a scan and the original to be told to ignore the email.

So although not comforting at least you can see there is no one answer to be found sadly.
Old Mar 30th 2021, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

Received my temporary licence in February. Still haven't received anything more, though my GB licence has been cancelled.
Old Apr 12th 2021, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

As mentioned above, my transitional licence i n PDF expires this month. I emailed trocas yesterday and today got a reply :

"Boa tarde,
O Decreto-Lei n.º 22-A 2021 prorrogou a validade das licenças de substituição da carta de condução até 31-12-2021."

So it seems a new law extends the validity of the one issued and set to expire next week.
I checked my DVLA account and it seems my UK is still active.
Old Apr 12th 2021, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by campos
As mentioned above, my transitional licence i n PDF expires this month. I emailed trocas yesterday and today got a reply :

"Boa tarde,
O Decreto-Lei n.º 22-A 2021 prorrogou a validade das licenças de substituição da carta de condução até 31-12-2021."

So it seems a new law extends the validity of the one issued and set to expire next week.
I checked my DVLA account and it seems my UK is still active.
Mine had expired before it was issued 😂
IMT admit it made no sense but added all valid until Dec 31st 2021 now
Old Apr 21st 2021, 9:20 am
Just Joined

Twiggy09 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there anyway online to check the status or progress of the license exchange on IMT ?....I've been waiting many weeks now after receiving emails requesting the submission of additional documents that they needed. It would be useful to understand if my documents are complete and the process is continuing ...
Old Apr 21st 2021, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twiggy09
Is there anyway online to check the status or progress of the license exchange on IMT ?....I've been waiting many weeks now after receiving emails requesting the submission of additional documents that they needed. It would be useful to understand if my documents are complete and the process is continuing ...
I think you are asking for too much, after all, this is Portugal. We have been waiting since 1 September 2020 having handed in all the required documents and received a paper driving permit in exchange. I have tried emailing and phoning for information but get no response. I have tried complaining to IMT Lisbon about the ridiculous delay but it got me nowhere. Some people have been waiting for more that a year for their plastic licences, some have received theirs in less than 3 weeks. An insider has told me that there are boxes of applications being ignored in IMT Faro. They are playing some sort of game with us. Does anyone have a friend in the Portuguese government?
Old Apr 21st 2021, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

Twiggy09 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BillBullock
I think you are asking for too much, after all, this is Portugal. We have been waiting since 1 September 2020 having handed in all the required documents and received a paper driving permit in exchange. I have tried emailing and phoning for information but get no response. I have tried complaining to IMT Lisbon about the ridiculous delay but it got me nowhere. Some people have been waiting for more that a year for their plastic licences, some have received theirs in less than 3 weeks. An insider has told me that there are boxes of applications being ignored in IMT Faro. They are playing some sort of game with us. Does anyone have a friend in the Portuguese government?
...its funny Bill, been waiting all these months, yesterday decided to write on this bulletin board out of frustration and not knowing what the situation was.....and today i receive an email from IMT saying all accepted, pay the 30 euros and send in the originals......which i am a bit nervous of doing...but anyway, it seems like i am coming out the other side of this process !! It's a funny old world !
Old Apr 21st 2021, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Never even had an acknowledgement to my request.
So if and when they contact me I will tell them I don't want to do it until later in year, which is now allowed....isn't it. Or is it all one sided ?
Old Apr 21st 2021, 9:46 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.
Old May 5th 2021, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

After we have paid our €30 and then submitted our UK licence, is the next thing we get the new PT licence in the post? Or is there a request to attend to have a photo taken, for example?. If not, I guess they use the DVLA's photo?
Also, the temporary bridging PT licence valid till the end of the year can't be used abroad I understand.
Old May 5th 2021, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

ShazD is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Campos. So you should get an email or a text telling you to go and get a photo taken and a digital signature. My husband and I have been completing this together. His documents were to be sent to Porto, mine to Vila Real. He's had his photo etc down in Faro, I'm still waiting on mine.
Old May 6th 2021, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ShazD
Hi Campos. So you should get an email or a text telling you to go and get a photo taken and a digital signature. My husband and I have been completing this together. His documents were to be sent to Porto, mine to Vila Real. He's had his photo etc down in Faro, I'm still waiting on mine.
Thanks v much for the info!

Any idea about using the temporary bridging licence abroad with a IDP? I'm guessing not; the only language on the temp one is Portuguese for a start...
Old May 6th 2021, 7:20 am
Just Joined

ShazD is an unknown quantity at this point

No idea at all, sorry.
Old May 6th 2021, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Can I ask how much notice was given for the photo appointment ? week before, two...?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.