British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

jasper123 May 26th 2011 4:46 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Does anyone know why at the start of the long running Aussie soap Neighbors ---- they always have on the screen Ramsey street England?
I bet you know Cheers even though your a yank ;)

PS tomorrow the newest US aircraft carrier USS George H.W. Bush will cruise into my town Portsmouth and there gonna let loose 6,000 American Sailers on the city,
All the single Brit Yobs, Blokes better get out of there way, but they have to be back on board ship by 1 am every morning, :D

cheers May 26th 2011 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9389785)
Does anyone know why at the start of the long running Aussie soap Neighbors ---- they always have on the screen Ramsey street England?

PS tomorrow the newest US aircraft carrier USS George H.W. Bush will cruise into my town Portsmouth and there gonna let loose 6,000 American Sailers on the city,
All the single Brit Yobs, Blokes better get out of there way, but they have to be back on board ship by 1 am every morning, :D

I don't get this last part? Are you saying the aircraft carrier crew are all gay so the blokes had better get out of the way? Gay cruise?

cheers May 26th 2011 6:04 pm

From the news room-

The bills are coming for the state visit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13565326

cheers May 26th 2011 6:20 pm

Copied from a post about things you like about the UK.

Also... I like being able to go see the doctor whenever I need to and not have to pay ANYTHING... not even a co-pay. The healthcare system here is satisfactory for minor things and is very convenient. Although, being a nurse and working for the NHS, I would also have to say that nothing compares to the medical marvels of the US.... so much more advanced and the patient care is awesome compared to other countries. It's just a shame you have to have really good insurance to benefit from it.

One last thing... I love thatched cottages... not to live in one myself (I'm still very American in that I love really high ceilings and open space) but to see them in the country side is really beautiful.

Beedubya May 26th 2011 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9389756)
TOO RIGHT MATE, BLOODY OATH, :huh:

Now that saying is NOT British, it is an Australianism!!!! :ohmy:

Beedubya May 26th 2011 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9389785)

All the single Brit
Yobs, Blokes better get out of there way, but they have to be back on board ship by 1 am every morning, :D

Phew I must book meself a train ticket post haste. :lol:

Beedubya May 26th 2011 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9389213)
That's America for you - less is never more here! Still, you have to remember that many US politicians and several Presidents have been shot. Lincoln was shot and killed, more recently President Kennedy was murdered, and Ronald Reagan was also shot and wounded badly. Then of course there's RFK and Martin Luther King and Malcolm X who were all assassinated while out in public.

Looked at in that light, you can't blame the secret service for being overly cautious and wanting to put on a show. And of course this President generates a lot more hate from a certain segment of society than any of his white predecessors, so a lot of us worry about his safety.

Oh of course we can understand (notice I am saying the royal we :)) the need for the President's safety but we the British public (said in my best Royal voice) are not used to SEEING so much overt security, and not let's forget that Lord Louis Mountbatten and his family were killed by terrorist's and also the Brighton bombings of Maggie T, the London tube bombings etc............so we are not immune to threats and assassinations.......

cheers May 26th 2011 7:16 pm

Trivia

The cost of obtaining a standard passport over the years has increased greatly. While consumer prices in the UK have increased by 24% from early 1998 to 2009, the price of a passport renewal increased by 269%.[28]

£77.50 – 3 September 2009 – an increase which the Government said was necessary due to a falling number of passport applicants, and also to pay for enhanced passport security measures.

Just sayin'

Cheers

Beedubya May 26th 2011 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9390156)
Trivia

The cost of obtaining a standard passport over the years has increased greatly. While consumer prices in the UK have increased by 24% from early 1998 to 2009, the price of a passport renewal increased by 269%.[28]

£77.50 – 3 September 2009 – an increase which the Government said was necessary due to a falling number of passport applicants, and also to pay for enhanced passport security measures.

Just sayin'

Cheers

And significantly cheaper than applying for a British passport from Australia:

Passport fees in Australia are:

Adult passport

32-page passport - $263.45
48 page passport - $306.45

cheers May 28th 2011 12:54 am

Quoting:

Best finds:
Haggis, red/black pudding
decently priced/tasting wine
smoked salmon
bacon and brie sandwiches
IRN BRU!!!!!111one
Yorkshire pudding
ostrich burgers
Cornish pasties (and any other pastry dish really)
NHS
salad cream
Parma Ham
Clothes that are not ill-fitting

Worst finds:
European cars (discounting German/Italian - rest are almost as bad as American cars)
council tax
petrol prices
TV "license"
price of beer
English mustard
MOT
toast racks (come on, really? WHAT'S THE POINT!?)

cheers May 28th 2011 12:58 am

Did you read about the Royal Protection Officers car being clamped in Portsmouth yesterday? They arrested the clamper!
I'm thinking what would have happened if they had had the opportunity to have done it to one of the Presidents cars?

cheers May 28th 2011 1:22 am

Come fly with me????

news item.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...-hour-delay.do

Fish n Chips 56 May 28th 2011 2:14 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9390075)
Oh of course we can understand (notice I am saying the royal we :)) the need for the President's safety but we the British public (said in my best Royal voice) are not used to SEEING so much overt security, and not let's forget that Lord Louis Mountbatten and his family were killed by terrorist's and also the Brighton bombings of Maggie T, the London tube bombings etc............so we are not immune to threats and assassinations.......

I see where you are coming from Barb, we were blown away by this when we first moved here as it all seems over the top, but we are used to it now, Obama is getting what is typical for any US President.

bandrui May 28th 2011 5:22 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9392650)

7 hours? I'd mutiny too. They should have been off-loaded. I read that some were connecting from Canada. Mama mia!

islandwoman120 May 28th 2011 7:22 am

Beautiful video - well worth watching, right to the end:
http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcar...6&source=jl999

cheers May 28th 2011 1:48 pm

How it is

http://www.loweswatercam.co.uk/11052...a_Mountain.htm

jasper123 May 28th 2011 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9390177)
And significantly cheaper than applying for a British passport from Australia:

Passport fees in Australia are:

Adult passport

32-page passport - $263.45
48 page passport - $306.45

And significantly cheaper then applying for a UK passport in America too, I saved about £100 getting my British passport renewed here in England.

jasper123 May 28th 2011 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9392610)
Did you read about the Royal Protection Officers car being clamped in Portsmouth yesterday? They arrested the clamper!
I'm thinking what would have happened if they had had the opportunity to have done it to one of the Presidents cars?

Yes cheers that clamper story made first page news in the Portsmouth local paper last night (The News)
Apparently the clapper refused to take off the clamp unless the officers would show him proof that they were on duty :rofl:
So the officers just arrested this IDIOT :D Off with his head I say !!!!!

cheers May 28th 2011 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9393579)
Yes cheers that clamper story made first page news in the Portsmouth local paper last night (The News)
Apparently the clapper refused to take off the clamp unless the officers would show him proof that they were on duty :rofl:
So the officers just arrested this IDIOT :D Off with his head I say !!!!!

He was arrested so I wonder if that was enough proof for the clamper that the RPOs were on duty?

jasper123 May 28th 2011 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9390046)
Phew I must book meself a train ticket post haste. :lol:

how about Ramsey Street? and calm down its only 6,000 sailers :ohmy:

cheers May 28th 2011 3:23 pm

Rod, about 6 months ago you wrote that in order to use your computer you had to sit on a suitcase in the hallway so as to be close to the power or computer connection. Is that still the way it is?

Did the Yanks leave Portsmouth yet? Its amazing to me that a ship with so many crew on board can swell the population of a city so much. I wonder if they were required to wear civilian clothes on the city streets?

Cheers mate

jasper123 May 28th 2011 3:26 pm

Cheers Im here waiting on chit chat ---- where are you old bean?

cheers May 28th 2011 3:35 pm

Portsmouth is the City with the highest number of emigrants, in the UK.

So you know.

I think that is amazing because they are still a very small percentage of the population compared with what a city in the US would be.

jasper123 May 28th 2011 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9393660)
Rod, about 6 months ago you wrote that in order to use your computer you had to sit on a suitcase in the hallway so as to be close to the power or computer connection. Is that still the way it is?

Did the Yanks leave Portsmouth yet? Its amazing to me that a ship with so many crew on board can swell the population of a city so much. I wonder if they were required to wear civilian clothes on the city streets?

Cheers mate

Oh THERE U ARE, NO I got a power outlet put into the wall right under the phone so the modem sits side by side with phone, the outlet cost me £70 Yeah I know that was rather expensive and same thing would have cost me about $40 in U.S. but when we are living here we have to constantly remind ourselves that we are not in the States anymore and we have to try and not convert the sterling price of something to U.S. Dollars ---- Im still doing it 6 months later, that is the hardest thing to quit doing I think. --- everything I buy ---- say its a nice big whole chicken for £4 at the co - op the little cash reregisternside my head goes Hmmmm thats around $6.
Yes cheers I did read that they were required to wear civillian cloathes on the street so as not to upset the poor local lads he he he he

jasper123 May 28th 2011 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9393681)
Portsmouth is the City with the highest number of emigrants, in the UK.

So you know.

I think that is amazing because they are still a very small percentage of the population compared with what a city in the US would be.

Hmmmm are u sure mate? seems odd, they probably mean percentage wise per capita.

cheers May 28th 2011 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9393690)
Yes cheers I did read that they were required to wear civillian cloathes on the street so as not to upset the poor local lads he he he he

So did you see any or are they in another part of town. They are easy to spot because of their haircuts and "go Raiders" jackets:D ...and dollar bills falling out of their pockets.

jasper123 May 28th 2011 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9393704)
So did you see any or are they in another part of town. They are easy to spot because of their haircuts and "go Raiders" jackets:D

Well there ships the aircraft carrier AND THE DESTOYER sailed into Portsmouth at the gun warf area of portsmouth which is about 3 miles from where live but I did take a bus down there yesterday but I must have been too early so I came back home cause it was not a nice day --- very windy and chilly and cloudy, today the same, so here in the south the weather is changing for a few days.

cheers May 28th 2011 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9393698)
Hmmmm are u sure mate? seems odd, they probably mean percentage wise per capita.

See Wikipedia-Portsmouth-demographics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portsmouth

^ BBC South Today 11/4/08

Portsmouth is the City with the highest number of emigrants, in the UK, particularly the most skilled.[50] According to 2007 estimates, the ethnic breakdown of Portsmouth's population is as follows: 86.4% White British, 3.8% Other White, 1.7% Chinese, 1.6% Indian, 1.3% Mixed-Race, 1.2% Bangladeshi, 1.0% Other ethnic group, 0.9% Black African, 0.7% White Irish, 0.6% Other South Asian, 0.4% Pakistani, 0.3% Black Caribbean and 0.1% Other Black.[51]

jasper123 May 28th 2011 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9393732)
See Wikipedia-Portsmouth-demographics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portsmouth

^ BBC South Today 11/4/08

Portsmouth is the City with the highest number of emigrants, in the UK, particularly the most skilled.[50] According to 2007 estimates, the ethnic breakdown of Portsmouth's population is as follows: 86.4% White British, 3.8% Other White, 1.7% Chinese, 1.6% Indian, 1.3% Mixed-Race, 1.2% Bangladeshi, 1.0% Other ethnic group, 0.9% Black African, 0.7% White Irish, 0.6% Other South Asian, 0.4% Pakistani, 0.3% Black Caribbean and 0.1% Other Black.[51]

Yes like I said cheers ---- they are saying percentage wise per capita, its not saying that there are more immigrants living in Portsmouth then any other English city, it is just saying percentage wise of the population of Portsmouth ---- we have the highest percentage thats all!!!!

bandrui May 29th 2011 8:24 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9393553)
And significantly cheaper then applying for a UK passport in America too, I saved about £100 getting my British passport renewed here in England.

Can I immigrate on my Canadian passport? My UK one has expired and I don't really want to send it to Washington DC for renewal.

jasper123 May 29th 2011 11:54 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9395027)
Can I immigrate on my Canadian passport? My UK one has expired and I don't really want to send it to Washington DC for renewal.

What do you mean emigrate? If your British you are allowed back to UK to live permanently, you can enter on your canadian passport but if you do that you will get a stamp in your passport dated so you will only be able to stay in UK temporarily,
You better just get your UK passport renewed before you leave unless you want to give yourself unnecessary problems.
By the way when are you going home for good?

jasper123 May 29th 2011 1:53 pm

Well I wonder if there is anyone that has already taken the plunge and are already over here in UK,
Its about steaks, I have bought steaks 3 times so far from three different places ---- last one was lidle ---- anyway each time I cook it in the pan it comes out as tough as leather, the one I cooked today was sold as a top sirloin, now we all know in America that top sirloin steak is so tender when fried,
This one bought over here was absolutely full of gristle and the little meat that you could actually kind of chew OMG it takes about 100 chews to just chew a little piece of meat, tough like leather,
Any comments from anyone about British Steak meat would be welcome.
Rodney.

islandwoman120 May 29th 2011 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9395431)
Well I wonder if there is anyone that has already taken the plunge and are already over here in UK,
Its about steaks, I have bought steaks 3 times so far from three different places ---- last one was lidle ---- anyway each time I cook it in the pan it comes out as tough as leather, the one I cooked today was sold as a top sirloin, now we all know in America that top sirloin steak is so tender when fried,
This one bought over here was absolutely full of gristle and the little meat that you could actually kind of chew OMG it takes about 100 chews to just chew a little piece of meat, tough like leather,
Rodney.

The UK steak cuts are named in a different manner. I found out the hard way just as you have. The best I can say is don't buy supermarket meat, but go to a reputable butchers shop. I have given up on supermarket meat, and only buy from the local butcher if I want meat. They understand the different names and can advise you correctly.

Bevm May 29th 2011 2:34 pm

Jasper, I know what you mean about steaks. Meat in general. Whole different language

I've found the best one for frying is rump steak. A butcher recommended that to me. It varies, but most of the time it's as good as sirloin in North America. Had a nice piece last night.

Sirloin here, which was strip loin over there, is never good. I don't know why as it's the same cut, but it's always chewy.

But meat is cheaper in North America. Course it's probably packed with hormones and other bulk-up chemicals, which isn't good for us, but it can be awfully tasty.

OTOH, lamb is great over here, and doesn't cost a fortune.

Islandwoman, I do shop at a local butcher, but the two best rump steaks I've had have been from supermarkets. One was ASDA, the other Sainsbury's. Don't know why -- unless the animals were pumped full of the above chemicals!

Bev

Mummy in the foothills May 29th 2011 3:28 pm

The cuts are different Rodney.
Scroll down on here it has the cow and the cuts explained for UK and US
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef It looks like the US sirloin is UK Rump steak.

cheers May 29th 2011 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9395431)
Rodney.

Hey Rod, shoot them with hormones like they do in these parts and then the steak will melt in your mouth. Unfortunately you will also develop breasts.:lol: Come to think of it you will have no problem making friends then!

cheers May 29th 2011 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9395027)

Most definitely!

You will probably want to get a new British passport when you get there and use that from then on so no problem.

Hey thats what I'm going to do except I don't want to spring for a new passport. Economics and all.

jasper123 May 29th 2011 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9395548)
The cuts are different Rodney.
Scroll down on here it has the cow and the cuts explained for UK and US
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef It looks like the US sirloin is UK Rump steak.

MITF thanks for that link, yes it looks like the American top sirloin is the rump steak in U.K. ----- well who would have thought that butchers here in UK have a whole different language for there cuts, well you learn something every day they say,
So next time I buy beef I will try the Rump Steaks and buy them from a butchers shop, and I will let you know how it turns out.
Take care,
Rodney.

jasper123 May 29th 2011 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Bevm (Post 9395482)
Jasper, I know what you mean about steaks. Meat in general. Whole different language

I've found the best one for frying is rump steak. A butcher recommended that to me. It varies, but most of the time it's as good as sirloin in North America. Had a nice piece last night.

Sirloin here, which was strip loin over there, is never good. I don't know why as it's the same cut, but it's always chewy.

But meat is cheaper in North America. Course it's probably packed with hormones and other bulk-up chemicals, which isn't good for us, but it can be awfully tasty.

OTOH, lamb is great over here, and doesn't cost a fortune.

Islandwoman, I do shop at a local butcher, but the two best rump steaks I've had have been from supermarkets. One was ASDA, the other Sainsbury's. Don't know why -- unless the animals were pumped full of the above chemicals!

Bev

Thanks Bev, good info on Asda's and Sainsburys, I will try a Rump from them, and see how it goes, yes I love lamb and next Sunday I will cook Me and Mum a nice Lamb roast with the roast potatoes and parsnips, Hmmm
That will be lovely, any tips on the temp and time to cook it in Oven, we have a gas stove, I think you can buy
(REAL) mint sauce over here too.
Rodney.

jasper123 May 29th 2011 5:18 pm

:rofl:

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9395637)
Hey Rod, shoot them with hormones like they do in these parts and then the steak will melt in your mouth. Unfortunately you will also develop breasts.:lol: Come to think of it you will have no problem making friends then!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: