British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Beedubya May 24th 2011 4:34 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by oldbritgirl (Post 9384883)
I'm in Sale, almost 3 weeks here now, just moved into an apartment, caught a cold, cough on the plane home, just getting over it and actually just beginning to feel like my old self again, been a hard few months but hopefully it will all turn out well. Just waiting for my bus pass to arrive, then I'll be off exploring, let me know if you'd like to meet up somewhere.

Oh wow that would be great!!! How about sometime before June 1st when I will be starting work, I can't make it this weekend as I am off to my sister's for a birthday/housewarming but any other time is good for me.

Hope you get well soon, yes it IS indeed pretty hard going, can you please remind me from whence you came?

Barb

oldbritgirl May 24th 2011 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9384889)
Oh wow that would be great!!! How about sometime before June 1st when I will be starting work, I can't make it this weekend as I am off to my sister's for a birthday/housewarming but any other time is good for me.

Hope you get well soon, yes it IS indeed pretty hard going, can you please remind me from whence you came?

Barb

I was in North Carolina, left here in 89, lost my husband in January. Been staying with a friend in Sale, but we lived in Macclesfield before we left, not sure where I want to end up so renting a furnished apartment while I decide, I'm pretty much free at the moment so just let me know when and where!!!

Beedubya May 24th 2011 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by oldbritgirl (Post 9384915)
I was in North Carolina, left here in 89, lost my husband in January. Been staying with a friend in Sale, but we lived in Macclesfield before we left, not sure where I want to end up so renting a furnished apartment while I decide, I'm pretty much free at the moment so just let me know when and where!!!

YES YES YES, I remember you now, in fact I just cheated and read some of your old posts. :thumbsup:

So wow, you have your own apartment already, you certainly have moved fast!! How are you finding it? I think it must take a good few months to settle down properly, I am still finding my feet in lots of ways.

I see you were thinking of living in Altrincham so how about we meet there? I even know my way there by car. :lol:

If that's not good for you re public transport, we can think of somewhere else, maybe Thursday or Friday this week?

cheers May 24th 2011 4:58 pm

Did you hear that joke of the fisherman who advertised for a girl with a boat and when a girl replied he asked for a picture 'of the boat':)

So if you gurls get together be sure to send pictures (of the Vauxhall):lol:

oldbritgirl May 24th 2011 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9384937)
YES YES YES, I remember you now, in fact I just cheated and read some of your old posts. :thumbsup:

So wow, you have your own apartment already, you certainly have moved fast!! How are you finding it? I think it must take a good few months to settle down properly, I am still finding my feet in lots of ways.

I see you were thinking of living in Altrincham so how about we meet there? I even know my way there by car. :lol:

If that's not good for you re public transport, we can think of somewhere else, maybe Thursday or Friday this week?

Altrincham would be great, I'm really close to the metro, so will be hard to get lost!!!! How about Thursday? Do you fancy elevenses or lunch?

Beedubya May 24th 2011 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by oldbritgirl (Post 9384953)
Altrincham would be great, I'm really close to the metro, so will be hard to get lost!!!! How about Thursday? Do you fancy elevenses or lunch?

You probably know the place more than me, I have only been twice. Lunch would be nice, I will PM you my mobile, I see you are a newbie so if you look up the top right hand side you will see Private Messages, in a minute it will say you have one, sorry if you already knew this LOL!! :lol:

Beedubya May 24th 2011 5:37 pm

Wow OBG and I are meeting on Thursday for lunch. My very first BE Meeting. :thumbsup:

Barb

cheers May 24th 2011 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9384842)
I am the kind of person who actually LIKES going to work,

Will you marry me? I'll keep up the house!:D

I will give you some prices from the past few days, but you REALLY have to shop around here as prices vary greatly.
LIDL
Bananas 68p per kilo Cheap
Potatoes 2.5kg £1.19 same
I bought 4 carrots, a swede, 3 onions, 3 trays of raspberries, 6 tomatoes £3.50
OK I'm sure you did much better than I did.
THIN? I wish....................:o

Yesterday I bought 4 ears of corn $1 or 62 pence.

Also, 3 oranges, 2 large cucumbers, iceberg lettuce and a very large 3 liter bottle of root beer for a total of $6 or £3.71

Oranges=$1.03 for 3 or 64p for 3
Cucumbers=.39/24p each
Lettuce=$1.59/98p
Root beer= .88/54p
To mar toes = $1.29/80p per lb

All were on sale. Total $6.36 which includes 3% sales tax or £3.94
see ad.

http://linsgrocery.inserts2online.co...omer_Frame.jsp

Beedubya May 24th 2011 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9385053)

Also, 3 oranges, 2 large cucumbers, iceberg lettuce and a very large 3 liter bottle of root beer for a total of $6 or £3.71

Cucumbers=.39/24p each
Lettuce=$1.59/98p
Root beer= .88/54p

see ad.

That's pretty cheap Cheers and much cheaper than Australia.

BTW that series with Cherie Blair's dad Tony was called "Till Death Until Us Part" - if you are easily offended DO NOT WATCH warning!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWKy4...eature=related

p.s. I cannot marry you, you bigamist LOL!!! :sneaky:

Mummy in the foothills May 24th 2011 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9385053)

Cucumbers=.39/24p each
Lettuce=$1.59/98p
Root beer= .88/54p

see ad.

That is cheaper than here and we don't have tax on food.
I know I paid $1.89 a lb for tomatoes
and $2.98 for 10lbs of potatoes
$1.89 for three hearts of romaine lettuce
$1.19 Whole english cucumber
$2.98 a gal of milk
$1.98 chips ahoy cookies 14oz bag (or was it 16oz I forget)
bananas were 49¢ a lb
PLus a lot more (no meat included in the bill)

In all I spent $130 for most of the food we'll need for 2 weeks, I'll need to go and buy more milk and some veggies for week 2 and meat from the butcher this week. And I make bread three times a week.

Englishmum May 24th 2011 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9384832)
Yes I knew she was a scouse.
She is also a judge.
Who is her dad?

Cheryl bowing. I hate to bring it up but there is the religion thing. I think she bowed to the Pope.

I really think she wears the trousers in the Blair's marriage and I think Tony was greatly under her influence when he was PM. She seems to be obsessed with making more and more money and acquiring properties, I've never liked the woman.

Did you know that Tony Blair converted to his wife's faith (RC) after leaving office? I don't think he had the balls to do it whilst he was PM.

cheers May 24th 2011 10:03 pm

Just finished watching "to buy or not to buy" on BBC and I saw series 10 were a retired couple were down sizing to East Ridding ,Yorks. They got a good lodge fully furnished fo £185,000. It was post inside.

islandwoman120 May 25th 2011 3:32 pm

Just listened to President Obama address the UK from Westminster Hall - interesting speech, on BBC 1.

cheers May 25th 2011 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9385628)
Just finished watching "to buy or not to buy" on BBC and I saw series 10 were a retired couple were down sizing to East Ridding ,Yorks. They got a good lodge fully furnished fo £185,000. It was post inside.

post should read posh sorry.

cheers May 25th 2011 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9387418)
Just listened to President Obama address the UK from Westminster Hall - interesting speech, on BBC 1.

I think this visit reenforces people view of America and Americans. Loud, brash and overbearing.

Who would show up a day early when invited for a stay at Buckingham Palace? Who would show up at Buckingham Palace like a carnival. Did you see the parade of vehicles that went through the palace gates? The Queen invited the Obamas and half of Washinton showed up. Everyone loves a parade but this was over the top.

Did you see the secret service barg into 10 Downing Street like it was the Black Friday shopping crowd at Walmart?

I think the secret service are the modern day Keystone Cops. 200 agents, I think, and they screw up. They have all these precautions in place at tremendous cost and then they hang up the limo on the driveway. They didn't see that was going to happen ahead of time? Give me a break.

I don't want to hear about the government being broke for a long time after all the money that is spent on these trips. Some say they are necessary, bunk. The government doesn't have money for social security or health care but they do for these junkets.
Rant over!

Looking at the photo ops for the Queen I can't help feeling how bad it will be for her if Prince Phillip dies first. The poor dear will be heart broken because he is one of the few people she can turn to and depend on. Long live the Queen! and what they have put her through on this trip! The Queen is in her twilight years and they do this to her. They have no respect. The Yanks invaded the Palace like it was a Walmart not a stately home. I say Yanks I mean the power happy people who run Washington, American and try to run the world to their wants.

Another thing, Americans living in the UK on a permanent basis have pointed out that Americans know very little about the world outside of America at least that is their observation after living abroad so this may be the problem. They also point out about the US media and how it is controlled. Again this is from Americans living in the UK.

Rant two over.

trottytrue May 25th 2011 6:56 pm

Beeubya....The Queen is not a muslim they are the only ones that President Obama bows to.:) I find it very rude. When you know the protacol of another country its only polite to do what is correct. I found all that security he brought with him very embarrasing and over the top. His own surgeon and the rest of his junk even blood. He could have spent more wisely. I dont remember any other President doing that. It looked so silly. I shall have to find the list and post who and what he brought with him.

To answer your question about Charlygirl and myself. Charlygirl leaves in a few weeks for good back to the UK. I am still waiting for the house to sell.:frown:

cheers May 25th 2011 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 9387816)
Beeubya....The Queen is not a muslim they are the only ones that President Obama bows to.:) I find it very rude. When you know the protacol of another country its only polite to do what is correct. I found all that security he brought with him very embarrasing and over the top. His own surgeon and the rest of his junk even blood. He could have spent more wisely. I dont remember any other President doing that. It looked so silly. I shall have to find the list and post who and what he brought with him.

Did you read my post #2088?

Fish n Chips 56 May 25th 2011 8:49 pm

Huhhhh America is always so over the top with the Presidents security but its been that way for years, Obama didn't start this...

bandrui May 25th 2011 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 9388034)
Huhhhh America is always so over the top with the Presidents security but its been that way for years, Obama didn't start this...

I think you mean 2055. Yes. Great post Cheers. Right on the money.

Derrygal May 25th 2011 9:08 pm

To answer your question about Charlygirl and myself. Charlygirl leaves in a few weeks for good back to the UK. I am still waiting for the house to sell.:frown:

I'm sure President Obama isn't the only US President who didn't bow to the Queen (don't think Bush did, but can't remember). Sounds like you don't like President Obama much????? Sounds like you're a Republican...................

sallysimmons May 25th 2011 9:58 pm

Beeubya....The Queen is not a muslim they are the only ones that President Obama bows to.:)

Wow.

I found all that security he brought with him very embarrasing and over the top. His own surgeon and the rest of his junk even blood. He could have spent more wisely. I dont remember any other President doing that. It looked so silly.
You do know that every President travels with the exact same entourage, right? A surgeon is always with the President of the United States on his travels, no matter who he is. And President Obama has the exact same amount of security as President Bush. They just didn't tell you about it on Fox News until it was President Obama. :)

I have been made so proud watching the reaction to the President and First Lady over the last few days. 25,000 people in Dublin cheering and waving American flags, a wonderful trip to a small village there where people just loved them both, and then a standing ovation from parliament today. It makes me proud to be American and that's not a feeling I get every day.

btw - Andrew Marr did an interview with the President for British TV and it turns out that the Queen invited Michelle and the girls back on a private visit last year. I guess she liked them.

islandwoman120 May 25th 2011 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9388157)
Wow.

You do know that every President travels with the exact same entourage, right? A surgeon is always with the President of the United States on his travels, no matter who he is. And President Obama has the exact same amount of security as President Bush. They just didn't tell you about it on Fox News until it was President Obama. :)

I have been made so proud watching the reaction to the President and First Lady over the last few days. 25,000 people in Dublin cheering and waving American flags, a wonderful trip to a small village there where people just loved them both, and then a standing ovation from parliament today. It makes me proud to be American and that's not a feeling I get every day.

btw - Andrew Marr did an interview with the President for British TV and it turns out that the Queen invited Michelle and the girls back on a private visit last year. I guess she liked them.

I listened to almost all of the speech today, and I too was proud to be an American. I am very fond of Obama, and it made me feel as though I was back in the USA amongst the friends there. I don't understand all the anger - the fact that he does not bow to the Queen was dealt with before on this site - he is on a par with her as far as protocol goes, he is not subservient to her, America is not a British Colony. I did not know about the so called brash American entry to the UK, so I can't, and won't comment on that. The standing ovation he received in Parliament was incredible, truly incredible. Good thing this is the Chit Chat thread, because there seems to be a lot of irritation about this state visit. Rock on Obama! Yes we can!!

sallysimmons May 25th 2011 10:23 pm

I love this tweet from a Channel 4 anchor:

C4News poll 8 yrs ago found 22% of Brits had cobnfidence in George Bush: Today we find 72% have confidence Barak Obama: surprise, surprise!!

charleygirl May 25th 2011 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9384672)
Oh that is soooo nice to hear that you 2 ladies will be meeting up. I think this may be a first???

I know Trottytrue and Denise meet for coffee's but they are still over there.....

I would love to meet up with one of our returnee's. :thumbsup:

barb, I will definitely meet you!! I will be back at the end of August, I have a lot to catch you up on. Life has been hectic though and I have hardly been on here.

cheers May 26th 2011 12:09 am

I'm an Obama fan.
Who was the last US president? I'm trying to forget.
I'm neither a demo or repub. There is no difference. IMO.

Strange that I had an idea that BE's who have returned would be over the moon with O being there and everything he did and said and I probably would be too if I was there. There is a place for you if you want to come back:D My beef was with the carnival atmosphere that goes with the trip.

O is surrounded by excited people who love the power they are given to protect the him.IMO. I have worked for the Secret Service so I know they have to do what they have to do but I don't like the power they have.

Derrygal May 26th 2011 12:43 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9388297)
I'm an Obama fan.
Who was the last US president? I'm trying to forget.I'm neither a demo or repub. There is no difference. IMO.

Strange that I had an idea that BE's who have returned would be over the moon with O being there and everything he did and said and I probably would be too if I was there. There is a place for you if you want to come back:D My beef was with the carnival atmosphere that goes with the trip.

O is surrounded by excited people who love the power they are given to protect the him.IMO. I have worked for the Secret Service so I know they have to do what they have to do but I don't like the power they have.

Trust me - you're not the only one trying to forget that!!

Fish n Chips 56 May 26th 2011 12:49 am

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9388187)
I listened to almost all of the speech today, and I too was proud to be an American. I am very fond of Obama, and it made me feel as though I was back in the USA amongst the friends there. I don't understand all the anger - the fact that he does not bow to the Queen was dealt with before on this site - he is on a par with her as far as protocol goes, he is not subservient to her, America is not a British Colony. I did not know about the so called brash American entry to the UK, so I can't, and won't comment on that. The standing ovation he received in Parliament was incredible, truly incredible. Good thing this is the Chit Chat thread, because there seems to be a lot of irritation about this state visit. Rock on Obama! Yes we can!!

Well Said Rosie...

Fish n Chips 56 May 26th 2011 12:57 am

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 9388337)
Trust me - you're not the only one trying to forget that!!

Arent we all, I knew we were in trouble the day he got elected, but living through those eight years was much worse then even I could imagine, and we are still suffering today, he put his country in the toilet for many years, Wars cost a lot, some of us pay with money while others pay with their lives.

trottytrue May 26th 2011 2:08 am

Sallysimmons...Not sure about the Wow...My point was and still is if President Obama can bow to a Suudi King and a Japanese Emperor he can also bow to a Queen protocol or not.

cheers May 26th 2011 2:23 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 9388456)
Sallysimmons...Not sure about the Wow...My point was and still is if President Obama can bow to a Suudi King and a Japanese Emperor he can also bow to a Queen protocol or not.

He also bows like any other president to his bosses on Wall Street:D

Cheers

trottytrue May 26th 2011 2:40 am

Cheers..I agree and when they tell them how high to jump they jump.:)

cheers May 26th 2011 2:54 am

We are not alone..

Jones moved to the United States in 1974, buying Dean Martin's former mansion in the East Gate Old Bel Air in Los Angeles. In 2009, after 35 years in America, he revealed that he and Linda were planning to move back to the United Kingdom. "I've had a great time living in Los Angeles," Jones said, "but after all these years, we think now is the time to move home."[26][56] However, on The Chris Moyles Show on 27 July 2009, he said he still lives in Los Angeles and will remain there for the foreseeable future as he still frequently stays at his home in London.

[edit]
Tom Jones (Woodward) 71 years old.
He probably stays here for tax reasons. and he is worth $175 million and is not in the same league as Oppra

Beedubya May 26th 2011 7:46 am

Originally Posted by charleygirl (Post 9388213)
barb, I will definitely meet you!! I will be back at the end of August, I have a lot to catch you up on. Life has been hectic though and I have hardly been on here.

Wow Charleygirl, so you are REALLY doing it!! How did your kids take the news, or is that a daft question?

Beedubya May 26th 2011 7:53 am

Well I for one like President Obama and his wife Michelle and of course the two little girls. :D

They seem like a nice bunch of people though of course I have no knowledge or real interest in their politics. :rolleyes:

I did question the protocol re the curtsying and bowing then answered it for myself by googling such matters, I did however think the entourage a little bit over the top, maybe it should have been a little more discreet by say driving vehicles such as the ambulance to the palace first etc., I don't doubt The Queen has her own surgeon on standby, blood, security, etc., but sometimes more is less. ;)

sallysimmons May 26th 2011 11:36 am

That's America for you - less is never more here! Still, you have to remember that many US politicians and several Presidents have been shot. Lincoln was shot and killed, more recently President Kennedy was murdered, and Ronald Reagan was also shot and wounded badly. Then of course there's RFK and Martin Luther King and Malcolm X who were all assassinated while out in public.

Looked at in that light, you can't blame the secret service for being overly cautious and wanting to put on a show. And of course this President generates a lot more hate from a certain segment of society than any of his white predecessors, so a lot of us worry about his safety.

sallysimmons May 26th 2011 11:48 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 9388456)

Not sure what a suudi is but Japanese people are not muslims.

The protocol for foreign dignatories is different in each country and therefore, the President acts differently. George Bush held hands with a Saudi prince but didn't hold hands with the Queen. What's up with that? :lol:

A lot of Americans fought and died for the right not to have to bow to English royalty. If some are suggesting that now we should go back to pre-American revolution days and have him appear subservient to our colonial masters even though royal protocol doesn't demand it, it's either out of ignorance of the rules or hatred of this particular President.

trottytrue May 26th 2011 2:32 pm

Sallysimmons....Now I really dont have to explain what my mispelling meant do I. My post was badly written but I will try again. President Obama Bowed to the king of Saudi Arabia who is a Muslim and also bowed to Emperor Akihito of Japan who is a Shinto. My point was that if he can bow to these two people regardless of their religion surely he could have given a little bow to the Queen.

jasper123 May 26th 2011 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 9388071)
I'm sure President Obama isn't the only US President who didn't bow to the Queen (don't think Bush did, but can't remember). Sounds like you don't like President Obama much????? Sounds like you're a Republican...................

the BBC reported that the queen is the head of state in England and O,Bama is the head of state in US and the Queen considers them both equals, so she does not either want or expect the president of the United States or the first lady to Bow or Curtsy to her.

Fish n Chips 56 May 26th 2011 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9389651)
the BBC reported that the queen is the head of state in England and O,Bama is the head of state in US and the Queen considers them both equals, so she does not either want or expect the president of the United States or the first lady to Bow or Curtsy to her.

I would consider this first class information as it comes from a British man actually living in Britain, not only that but he knows what he is talking about, and why would he lie.

jasper123 May 26th 2011 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 9389659)
I would consider this first class information as it comes from a British man actually living in Britain, not only that but he knows what he is talking about, and why would he lie.

TOO RIGHT MATE, BLOODY OATH, :huh: