British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Beedubya Jun 14th 2011 5:54 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

IMHO I think celebrities and sports stars are WAY OVERPAID!!!

I don't so much mind the really talented ones (still too much money though) but the likes of Paris Hilton and the Kardashian's make me see red!!! :sneaky:

The big money should go to the likes of nurses, ambulance people and soldiers...........people who do something really worthwhile and who help others.........

sallysimmons Jun 14th 2011 11:33 am

In a capitalist society, money goes where average people are willing to spend it. If we were all willing to stop going to baseball games or watching celebrities on TV, and instead paid a lot of money to watch nurses at work, they'd get the big bucks.

Capitalism definitely has its flaws.

jasper123 Jun 15th 2011 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9429471)
Angelina Jolie - Actress - Born: 1975 USA - Boyfriend - Children: 6

Annual: INR 1,346,853,147.00
Monthly: INR 112,237,762.00
Weekly: INR 26,937,063.00
Daily: INR 5,387,413.00

In US dollars it is ONLY $29,276,200 annually.:(

Cheers,
Are you sure that Angelina Jolie makes almost one and a half BILLION dollars per year? thats more then Oprah makes!!!!! --- 1,346,853,147.00 Phew :confused:

jasper123 Jun 15th 2011 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9429480)
Paris Hilton=

$9,596,280 a year

Barack Obama - President US - Born: USA, Hawaii 1961 - Married - Children: 2

Annual: USD 1,728,096.00
Monthly: USD 144,008.00
Weekly: USD 34,561.00
Daily: USD 6,912.00
Note: the VIP Salary Check is based on a 5 days working week and 2 weeks holiday per year.

Oprah Winfrey - Talk show host, actress, publisher, CEO Harpo Productions - Born: 1954 USA - Boyfriend - Children: 0

Annual: USD 290,000,000.00
Monthly: USD 24,166,666.00
Weekly: USD 5,800,000.00
Daily: USD 1,160,000.00

NetWorth: USD 2.7 billion dollar

Do you think the Duchess of York should curtsy to Oprah?

Cheers

Cheers I definatly think that the Duchess of York should curtsy to Oprah :D and also to Bill Gates too,

cheers Jun 15th 2011 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9434284)
Cheers,
Are you sure that Angelina Jolie makes almost one and a half BILLION dollars per year? thats more then Oprah makes!!!!! --- 1,346,853,147.00 Phew :confused:

Rodney can't you get prescription glasses on the NHS? I mean to say. When you look at Angelina Jolie and Oprah-case closed.:lol:

Average Actress Wages
Most actresses struggle to find steady work and many support themselves with another source of income, according to the Occupational Outlook Handbook. Most don't work in long-term positions, so accurately tracking the average actress' annual salary is difficult. Instead, the Bureau of Labor Statistics tracks the mean hourly wage those who work as actresses earn on each job, which is $16.20 per hour, as of May 2009. Half of all actresses earn between $10.18 and $29.33 per hour, though their earnings vary by their abilities as well as the type of work they perform.

Celebrity Actress Earnings
Although many actresses struggle to find work, those who become stars have little problem making ends meet. Sandra Bullock, the actress with the highest salary in the 2009-2010 shooting season, earned $56 million, according to Forbes. During the same period, Cameron Diaz and Reese Witherspoon earned $32 million and Jennifer Aniston earned $27 million.

cheers Jun 16th 2011 3:25 am

Angelina Jolie - Actress - Born: 1975 USA - Boyfriend - Children: 6

Annual: USD 30.000.000,00
Monthly: USD 2.500.000,00
Weekly: USD 600.000,00
Daily: USD 120.000,00

cheers Jun 16th 2011 5:05 pm

Whats going on in Vancouver, BC

Sears and Chapters stores were also looted, their glass fronts smashed. For many, the ugly chaos made the Cup loss an afterthought.

"What I've seen is a complete disgrace," said Beth Hope, 28, who is originally from England but has lived in Vancouver for two years. "I'm a Canucks fan, but my jersey's in my bag. I'm ashamed to be a fan right now."

bandrui Jun 16th 2011 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9437350)
Whats going on in Vancouver, BC

Sears and Chapters stores were also looted, their glass fronts smashed. For many, the ugly chaos made the Cup loss an afterthought.

"What I've seen is a complete disgrace," said Beth Hope, 28, who is originally from England but has lived in Vancouver for two years. "I'm a Canucks fan, but my jersey's in my bag. I'm ashamed to be a fan right now."

This was indeed a disgrace. These were not hockey fans but black-clad bandanered troublemakers who pre-meditated the damage they would cause. Hockey fans here are also outraged and have put a sign on the boarded up windows apologising to the city for this disgrace and noting the abhorrence of fans. People are flocking to sign this board in support of this message.

This has all brought disgrace to a great city with great people and we are all ashamed to have had such a thing happen in our area. Be assured that this is not indicative of the people of Vancouver.

These people are already being identified by TV news footage, and camera shots. Vancouver hockey fans have started a blog where they are posting their cell phone videos to identify the guilty parties. I am sure that many of these people were from out of town and they will soon find themselves facing justice.

A dark day for Vancouver indeed.

cheers Jun 16th 2011 8:21 pm

It is interesting that on the shoots that I see everyone is holding cameras up high like they are saluting. It will interesting how the courts will handle the guilty parties.

cheers Jun 16th 2011 11:22 pm

Rodney its time for you to come and visit 'cause it up to 100 degree in Las Vegas and you can sweat, sweat, sweat and feel exhausted all day.

formula Jun 17th 2011 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Bevm (Post 9429426)
His income comes from his estates. You can quibble about whether he should have them, but it's not coming out of taxation. As with most businesses, a lot of it goes on wages.

I'm a bit late catching up with this chat on Charlie, but it isn't his estate; the Duchy of Cornwall is crown property. It is given to the heir to the throne, as their income.

When/if he becomes King, then the Duchy of Cornwall estate will be taken from him, along with the title Duke of Cornwall, and given to his eldest son, William. When William becomes King, the Duchy of Cornwall will be taken from him and given to his son. If there is no son, then the Duchy estate and all the money from it, returns to the crown until the next male heir to the throne (at the moment, as there is talk about making the eldest child the heir to the throne).

bandrui Jun 18th 2011 12:07 am

Originally Posted by formula (Post 9439663)
I'm a bit late catching up with this chat on Charlie, but it isn't his estate; the Duchy of Cornwall is crown property. It is given to the heir to the throne, as their income.

When/if he becomes King, then the Duchy of Cornwall estate will be taken from him, along with the title Duke of Cornwall, and given to his eldest son, William. When William becomes King, the Duchy of Cornwall will be taken from him and given to his son. If there is no son, then the Duchy estate and all the money from it, returns to the crown until the next male heir to the throne (at the moment, as there is talk about making the eldest child the heir to the throne).

That is very interesting. Thanks for setting the record straight. :thumbup:

cheers Jun 18th 2011 1:20 am

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9323546)
Fresh and Easy are owned by Tesco in the US, they are everywhere. Also all the concessions in national parks (Yellowstone, Yosimite, etc) in the US are owned by a UK company. Burger King is owned by a European Country now too, I cant remember which, so alot of the things we think of as US corporations are actually not anymore.

I was wondering if you found any British products in Fresh and Easy in Las Vegas?

formula Jun 18th 2011 10:15 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9440231)
That is very interesting. Thanks for setting the record straight. :thumbup:

You're welcome:)

I know there were a few problems when the Queen mum died as in her will, she stipulated items she wanted passed to relatives, but many of these items weren't hers to give!:D

jasper123 Jun 18th 2011 10:41 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9438023)
Rodney its time for you to come and visit 'cause it up to 100 degree in Las Vegas and you can sweat, sweat, sweat and feel exhausted all day.

Yes cheers I was thinking of jumping on a plane soon, I soooo miss those 112 in the shade temps month after month for about half the year, and I loved having to always have to wear a wide rimed hat so my head wouldn't boil, and I loved spending all that money on air conditioning ---- NOT!!!!!

Today in Lovely old England its quite cold and windy out there, it rained a little today, yesterday was mostly all rain and black skies, so June so far has been like winter, April and May most days were like spring ----- lots of sun and nice warm temps,
Here it can be winter in the morning cold and windy and raining, and can turn to spring in the afternoon lovely blue skies and warm, and in the evening like Summer, the sky would be so clear and beautiful with stars so bright as far as the eye can see Hmmmmm :D

cheers Jun 18th 2011 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9440765)
Yes cheers I was thinking of jumping on a plane soon, I soooo miss those 112 in the shade temps month after month for about half the year, and I loved having to always have to wear a wide rimed hat so my head wouldn't boil, and I loved spending all that money on air conditioning ---- NOT!!!!!

Today in Lovely old England its quite cold and windy out there, it rained a little today, yesterday was mostly all rain and black skies, so June so far has been like winter, April and May most days were like spring ----- lots of sun and nice warm temps,
Here it can be winter in the morning cold and windy and raining, and can turn to spring in the afternoon lovely blue skies and warm, and in the evening like Summer, the sky would be so clear and beautiful with stars so bright as far as the eye can see Hmmmmm :D

OK pure it on!;)
Ya but you don't have a Target.:D

ANGIE1956 Jun 18th 2011 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9440765)

I hope you don't think this is a stupid question, but what average temperatures can i expect in January. Moving back after spending 23 years in florida.

jasper123 Jun 18th 2011 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by ANGIE1956 (Post 9440996)
I hope you don't think this is a stupid question, but what average temperatures can i expect in January. Moving back after spending 23 years in florida.

HELLO Angie and welcome to our little thread, how long have ya been lurking on here for ---- time to come in and have a nice cup of tea and chocolate digestive biscuit with us and a nice chat,
OK lets talk turkey ----- I arrived on December 1st and gatwick was closed due to the worst snow storm in 100 years so plane was diverted to Heathrow, back home with my Mum stranded and not being able to leave the house for 6 days cause the snow was so deep up to way past your belly button :frown:
Then the sun came out and it took a day but it melted away all the snow, it got warmer but still cold, January & February was cold & windy at times, rain from time to time, around 1 to 5 degrees centigrade most days, March was cold and windy ----but then came the shocker April and may came along and most days the temps were around 75 and very sunny, but thats where I am down South in Portsmouth, people on here who returned to up north like Barb said those months were quite cold and miserable and rainy though.
Now were in June and oh boy its real cold, and rained just about every day.
Rodney.

cheers Jun 18th 2011 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9441150)
Rodney.

OK Rodney you want to be over here for 3 months? I'll wave to you over the pond! I'll enjoy the rain and you can come over here and enjoy the warm weather, agreed? (there is a major problem though)

To be serious, if that is possible for me, I think I will end up doing that and that is moving over to Hereford and then if I miss the states I will fly back for a month or for how ever long it would take to get it out of my system and then back to Hereford.

Is it possible that we all want to move somewhere for a fresh start?

I look at my overhead/bills and think I would not have these if I was in the UK but we all know I would just replace them with some UK style bills.:confused:

I remember being in Southend, Essex in 1962 and walking out on the beach with a friends dog and thinking this is the place but I knew I needed to get back stateside to get a higher education (oh, and a wife) which I did. My point is I loved it there. Nothing like it here. I do like being able to buy things here in the US though.

US=things-flexibility-wonderful people. UK= scenery-wonderful people

Cheers

ANGIE1956 Jun 18th 2011 9:07 pm

HELLO Angie and welcome to our little thread, how long have ya been lurking on here for ---- time to come in and have a nice cup of tea and chocolate digestive biscuit with us and a nice chat,
OK lets talk turkey ----- I arrived on December 1st and gatwick was closed due to the worst snow storm in 100 years so plane was diverted to Heathrow, back home with my Mum stranded and not being able to leave the house for 6 days cause the snow was so deep up to way past your belly button :frown:
Then the sun came out and it took a day but it melted away all the snow, it got warmer but still cold, January & February was cold & windy at times, rain from time to time, around 1 to 5 degrees centigrade most days, March was cold and windy ----but then came the shocker April and may came along and most days the temps were around 75 and very sunny, but thats where I am down South in Portsmouth, people on here who returned to up north like Barb said those months were quite cold and miserable and rainy though.
Rodney.

I was in the UK in April and the weather was beautiful. It sounds like in December it is going to be awful, best to just get it out of the way, and then look forward to spring. I have been around for a couple of months, everyone as been very helpful.

aries Jun 19th 2011 12:54 am

Rodney.

Much like stepping off the plane into a walk-in fridge then? :D

It is a long time since I've spent a winter in England (though one summer wasn't too warm), so I will have to re-educate myself into knowing what to wear.

Beedubya Jun 19th 2011 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9441252)
OK Rodney you want to be over here for 3 months? I'll wave to you over the pond! I'll enjoy the rain and you can come over here and enjoy the warm weather, agreed? (there is a major problem though)

To be serious, if that is possible for me, I think I will end up doing that and that is moving over to Hereford and then if I miss the states I will fly back for a month or for how ever long it would take to get it out of my system and then back to Hereford.

Is it possible that we all want to move somewhere for a fresh start?

I look at my overhead/bills and think I would not have these if I was in the UK but we all know I would just replace them with some UK style bills.:confused:

I remember being in Southend, Essex in 1962 and walking out on the beach with a friends dog and thinking this is the place but I knew I needed to get back stateside to get a higher education (oh, and a wife) which I did. My point is I loved it there. Nothing like it here. I do like being able to buy things here in the US though.

US=things-flexibility-wonderful people. UK= scenery-wonderful people

Cheers

Just wondering what kind of things we are talking about here?? :confused:

cheers Jun 19th 2011 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9442704)

Homes, cars, food, clothes if you have money;)

cheers Jun 19th 2011 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9442704)

Petrol at £.59 per liter and coming down in price fast.

or $3.63 a gallon in our area.

bandrui Jun 20th 2011 5:49 am

Originally Posted by ANGIE1956 (Post 9440996)

Hi Angie,

Here is a climate map of the UK. You can click on the month of January and click on temperature and see where your destination falls in the range:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/...ukmapavge.html

bandrui Jun 20th 2011 5:58 am

Originally Posted by aries (Post 9441651)
Much like stepping off the plane into a walk-in fridge then? :D

It is a long time since I've spent a winter in England (though one summer wasn't too warm), so I will have to re-educate myself into knowing what to wear.

I went back one December for Christmas. I thought the climate is quite similar to the West Coast of Canada, right? Wrong! It was so damp that I had flashbacks to my teens when I would be standing at a bus stop almost in tears because the cold goes right through to your bones.

I'm not too worried about climate though. I like to experience all four seasons and I expect winter to be cold. Must have that woodstove though. ;)

aries Jun 20th 2011 11:22 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9443603)
I went back one December for Christmas. I thought the climate is quite similar to the West Coast of Canada, right? Wrong! It was so damp that I had flashbacks to my teens when I would be standing at a bus stop almost in tears because the cold goes right through to your bones.

I'm not too worried about climate though. I like to experience all four seasons and I expect winter to be cold. Must have that woodstove though. ;)

Before I came to Australia, I well remember a Canadian living in England saying that he felt colder than he did in Canada. He claimed it was a damper cold which exacerbated the chill factor.

jasper123 Jun 20th 2011 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9443603)

Hi bandrui, Hell a couple of days ago here in Pompey we had all 4 seasons in one day it was great? I will take this sometimes warm & sunny and sometimes cold and rainy any day over the 112 degrees of heat in the cruel desert of Las Vegas where I used to live, and no rain for months on end ---- well hell it just aint natural, not if your a human, snakes seem to like it though ;)

sallysimmons Jun 20th 2011 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by aries (Post 9444071)
Before I came to Australia, I well remember a Canadian living in England saying that he felt colder than he did in Canada. He claimed it was a damper cold which exacerbated the chill factor.

Maybe it's related to what you're used to, but I moved from damp chilly Hull to Toronto and I thought I would die the first winter. It is WAY colder in Toronto than it ever is in the UK.

There are actually days in Toronto where you can't be outside for more than a couple of minutes without getting frostbite. And you haven't lived until you've felt all your nose hairs freeze up!

Derrygal Jun 21st 2011 12:02 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9445508)
Maybe it's related to what you're used to, but I moved from damp chilly Hull to Toronto and I thought I would die the first winter. It is WAY colder in Toronto than it ever is in the UK.

There are actually days in Toronto where you can't be outside for more than a couple of minutes without getting frostbite. And you haven't lived until you've felt all your nose hairs freeze up!

I agree with you Sally - it is way colder here than the UK. Bitter cold - I actually think the dry air in winter makes me feel colder - and yes, I've often felt my nose hairs freeze up - when I've walked outside first thing in the morning to pick up my morning paper!!

sallysimmons Jun 21st 2011 1:39 am

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 9445550)
I agree with you Sally - it is way colder here than the UK. Bitter cold - I actually think the dry air in winter makes me feel colder - and yes, I've often felt my nose hairs freeze up - when I've walked outside first thing in the morning to pick up my morning paper!!

I remember this one time when my car had broken down and I had to take the bus to work. The walk to my office from the bus stop was 3 minutes max. Of course my car had to break down on one of those days where they were warning people not to be outside for more than a few minutes. I thought my short walk would be fine, but I couldn't make it the whole way. Even through all my layers, my fingers, toes and cheeks were hurting so bad from the cold. I remember falling into an office building halfway there and apologizing to the receptionist. I just couldn't make it the whole 3 minutes!

cheers Jun 21st 2011 1:48 am

If there was a poll I would be on the colder in the UK side I think. That damp cold down to the bones.
Can I vote on both side?:D
I'm thinking Alaska and upstate New York both darned cold.

aries Jun 21st 2011 1:56 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9445693)
I remember this one time when my car had broken down and I had to take the bus to work. The walk to my office from the bus stop was 3 minutes max. Of course my car had to break down on one of those days where they were warning people not to be outside for more than a few minutes. I thought my short walk would be fine, but I couldn't make it the whole way. Even through all my layers, my fingers, toes and cheeks were hurting so bad from the cold. I remember falling into an office building halfway there and apologizing to the receptionist. I just couldn't make it the whole 3 minutes!

Brrrrr! :blink:

bandrui Jun 21st 2011 3:13 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9445463)
Hi bandrui, Hell a couple of days ago here in Pompey we had all 4 seasons in one day it was great? I will take this sometimes warm & sunny and sometimes cold and rainy any day over the 112 degrees of heat in the cruel desert of Las Vegas where I used to live, and no rain for months on end ---- well hell it just aint natural, not if your a human, snakes seem to like it though ;)

Yes, me too. Most people don't realise how dry our summers are here. The grass dries up, the plants are parched and you have to water the garden every 2-3 days. I have a large garden an it takes about 1 1/2 hours. I have come to realise how blessed spring and summer showers are and why the British have such wonderful gardens. Nothing compares to an English Spring.

bandrui Jun 21st 2011 3:17 am

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 9445550)

Yes, definitely colder on the East Coast than the UK but West Coast has a much milder climate. Even when I lived in Alberta and experienced those -40 temps, it didn't feel as bad as the damp cold of the UK.

Where was your Canadian friend from Aries? Sounds like West Coast like me.

islandwoman120 Jun 21st 2011 7:47 am

A little ditty - substitute any northern area you care to:

LEAVING WISCONSIN
It’s springtime in Wisconsin where the gentle breezes blow
About 70 miles per hour and it’s 53 below.

It’s springtime in Wisconsin where the snow’s up to your butt,
And you take a breath of springtime air and your nostrils both freeze shut.

It’s lovely in Wisconsin so I think I’ll hang around.
I could never leave Wisconsin - my feet are frozen to the ground.

ANGIE1956 Jun 21st 2011 11:40 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9445806)
Yes, definitely colder on the East Coast than the UK but West Coast has a much milder climate. Even when I lived in Alberta and experienced those -40 temps, it didn't feel as bad as the damp cold of the UK.

Where was your Canadian friend from Aries? Sounds like West Coast like me.

Oops i am beginning to think i have made a big mistake going back in december.
Can anyone recommend any types or brands of warm cloths i could purchase before leaving please?

sallysimmons Jun 21st 2011 11:41 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9445709)
If there was a poll I would be on the colder in the UK side I think. That damp cold down to the bones.
Can I vote on both side?:D
I'm thinking Alaska and upstate New York both darned cold.

That's because you haven't lived in Toronto :rofl:

Parts of upstate NY are as cold as TO because they're just over the water, parts are more like here. It depends how far north you go.

The other difference is that once the 6 months of solid winter starts in Toronto, there are no mild days. None. Not one day where you can throw on a coat and go for a walk. The UK has those all the time. I loved Toronto as a city but the reason I would never go back there is that the winters are just too brutal.

I can't believe we're debating opinions on a factual matter. That's humans for you!

dontheturner Jun 21st 2011 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by ANGIE1956 (Post 9446579)
Can anyone recommend any types or brands of warm cloths i could purchase before leaving please?

Yes. Go to the ''www.Matalan.co.uk'' web site (UK) they have all the fashions you and yours could wish for - and all at very very reasonable prices. Best regards Don ( Shropshire)

islandwoman120 Jun 21st 2011 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by ANGIE1956 (Post 9446579)

Angie - I am unsure where you are currently located, so I am opting for the USA. Before I left, I bought warm long sleeved undershirts from Sierra Trading Co. - I bought a wool one, and two in a blend of wool and silk. They are lovely and warm, and I wore them from November to March as undershirts, and a few times in March as the only shirt. The wool and silk blend ones are very feminine. Here is the website: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ and the specific underwear site:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/d/240_Womens-Long-Underwear-Tops.html