British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

cheers Jul 10th 2011 8:01 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9486910)
I think you are way more American than you are British, Cheers............:o nothing wrong with that, just sayin'....................

Maybe I'm a man without a country

islandwoman120 Jul 10th 2011 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9486992)
Maybe I'm a man without a country

Shall I take out my violin? :)

cheers Jul 10th 2011 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9487056)
Shall I take out my violin? :)

Get back to your garden!;)

islandwoman120 Jul 11th 2011 6:56 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9487093)
Get back to your garden!;)

That's where I'm heading today, don't worry.:):thumbup:

dontheturner Jul 11th 2011 7:16 am

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9487704)
That's where I'm heading today, don't worry.:):thumbup:

Hello Jackie, My Wife is out there every morning, from very early, till late at night. She cannot get over the long hours of daylight here. In Thailand, it is dark by 6.30pm every day - summer or winter. Take care - Love Don

islandwoman120 Jul 11th 2011 9:39 am

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 9487729)
Hello Jackie, My Wife is out there every morning, from very early, till late at night. She cannot get over the long hours of daylight here. In Thailand, it is dark by 6.30pm every day - summer or winter. Take care - Love Don

Hi Don: this is Rosie, Jackie is on her way back to the land of the eagle, and Target stores. :)

I love the garden, and am relearning a lot of the names of plants and their habits as most of my US time was spent in the great Northwoods of Minnesota and Wisconsin - lots of trees, fewer flowers, and a very short growing season. I was accustomed to long summer evenings, and still use them to my advantage here in the UK. I am glad that you are both settling into UK life, and wish you both the very best.

Rosie

Mallory Jul 11th 2011 11:38 am

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9485542)
New photos taken today - it is the first day of the 10 day Frome Festival -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7627155647874/
:)

The pictures of the gardens are beautiful Rosie, great job. Just think how far you have come from when you first landed in the UK, and didn't know where to go, or what to do!

Did the plants over there suffer much damage from the very cold winter?

Bevm Jul 11th 2011 11:48 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9486595)
I noticed that they had those 'water butts' in Hawaii and I don't think I would want to use them for drinking water.
?

Definitely not drinking water, no! Though I suppose it might be worth having some water purification tablets that campers carry just in case some major problem shuts down the water supply. I think a certain amout of bleach works as well (not easily portable for campers.) Tastes vile, but without water we die pretty quickly.

Got into the habit of thinking about these things living in Victoria BC, a place that's going to have a major earthquake one day.

Bev

sallysimmons Jul 11th 2011 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9487959)
I love the garden, and am relearning a lot of the names of plants and their habits as most of my US time was spent in the great Northwoods of Minnesota and Wisconsin - lots of trees, fewer flowers, and a very short growing season.

Have people come and visited your garden yet as part of the festival? I hope you're getting lots of praise because it's lovely.

cheers Jul 11th 2011 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Bevm (Post 9488204)
Definitely not drinking water, no! Though I suppose it might be worth having some water purification tablets that campers carry just in case some major problem shuts down the water supply. I think a certain amout of bleach works as well (not easily portable for campers.) Tastes vile, but without water we die pretty quickly.

Got into the habit of thinking about these things living in Victoria BC, a place that's going to have a major earthquake one day.

Bev

So you are from Victoria? I will be there the day after tomorrow.
I was on another forum a few years ago and there was a English lady on it who lived in Victoria and she died before she could get back to Blighty. She had a rough life and a touch of nobility in her blood so I was so sad she didn't make it back to her homeland.
Bee was on the same forum so I wonder if she remembers the lady?
Cheers

Beedubya Jul 11th 2011 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9488532)
So you are from Victoria? I will be there the day after tomorrow.
I was on another forum a few years ago and there was a English lady on it who lived in Victoria and she died before she could get back to Blighty. She had a rough life and a touch of nobility in her blood so I was so sad she didn't make it back to her homeland.
Bee was on the same forum so I wonder if she remembers the lady?
Cheers

Was I??? :confused:

Who knows I am all over the place like a mad woman's breakfast (Aussie saying :lol:)!!

OOohhh hang on was this the Scousers list all those years ago (yes Cheers and I have met in a past Internet life :D) I think her name was Joyce and she was born on the wrong side of the blanket of one of the past kings of England???

Beedubya Jul 11th 2011 6:26 pm

For you Brit/Yanks who now live in the UK, LIDL has a big sale on this week of American products, now as you know LIDL is a German company so whether they are real honest to goodness US products or whether they are European manufactured I can't say, but it was like Yankee Doodle Dandy in there tonight LOL!! :lol:

(Rosie, there is a LIDL on that top road that leads towards the railway station and either Asda or Sainbury's on the outskirts of town.)

And don't forget there is a wee bit of foodstuff in TK Maxx too if you get the urge for Aunt Jemima's pancakes LOL!! :D

cheers Jul 11th 2011 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9488900)
Was I??? :confused:

Who knows I am all over the place like a mad woman's breakfast (Aussie saying :lol:)!!

OOohhh hang on was this the Scousers list all those years ago (yes Cheers and I have met in a past Internet life :D) I think her name was Joyce and she was born on the wrong side of the blanket of one of the past kings of England???

Good memory! Yes her name was Joyce. Poor gal, I think she was only in her 50's when she died. I think she had some children somewhere.

With your permission I'm going to pass that info along on the sale on your other post (excuse my grammar)

Cheers

cheers Jul 11th 2011 6:47 pm

Jackie and Rodney,

I'm going to the Claim Jumper in Summerlin tomorrow night so you can eat your heart out (American talk). Jackie I will have a seat reserved for you if you can make it.

Cheers

Warm English Toffee Cake A rich brown sugar
and date cake nestled in warm toffee sauce with
homemade whipped cream and vanilla ice cream 4.29

Beedubya Jul 11th 2011 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9488957)
Good memory! Yes her name was Joyce. Poor gal, I think she was only in her 50's when she died. I think she had some children somewhere.

With your permission I'm going to pass that info along on the sale on your other post (excuse my grammar)

Cheers

Yes Joyce, poor soul. :(

You may pass along my info on the Lidl Yankee sale. :D

jasper123 Jul 11th 2011 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9488910)
For you Brit/Yanks who now live in the UK, LIDL has a big sale on this week of American products, now as you know LIDL is a German company so whether they are real honest to goodness US products or whether they are European manufactured I can't say, but it was like Yankee Doodle Dandy in there tonight LOL!! :lol:

(Rosie, there is a LIDL on that top road that leads towards the railway station and either Asda or Sainbury's on the outskirts of town.)

And don't forget there is a wee bit of foodstuff in TK Maxx too if you get the urge for Aunt Jemima's pancakes LOL!! :D

Yes Barb LIDL has the best american style pizzas I have ever tasted, I love there hawaiian pizza ham & pineapple, hmmmm lovely :) and for one pound not a bad price either, I did notice though that it says made in Germany, I will have to check out the sale tomorrow, hope its still on, thats what Im looking for the pancake mix that you just add water, and also syrup, hmmmm couple of eggs over easy on top and there you have it :)

trottytrue Jul 12th 2011 3:28 am

Islandwoman120..What beautiful pictures and what a garden, raspberries, gooseberries they look just right for picking. The hollyhocks look lovely. Its my year to have none. I should have planted some this year but got too busy. I love them so do the hummingbirds. Might look for one in the garden centre. Who mowes the lawn.

Beedubya Jul 12th 2011 4:40 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9489540)
Yes Barb LIDL has the best american style pizzas I have ever tasted, I love there hawaiian pizza ham & pineapple, hmmmm lovely :) and for one pound not a bad price either, I did notice though that it says made in Germany, I will have to check out the sale tomorrow, hope its still on, thats what Im looking for the pancake mix that you just add water, and also syrup, hmmmm couple of eggs over easy on top and there you have it :)

Pancakes, syrup and EGGS!!!! :eek:

That is just wrong!!! :D

p.s. I did see the mix that you add water to in the plastic bottle and shake it up......

islandwoman120 Jul 12th 2011 7:54 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 9489799)
Islandwoman120..What beautiful pictures and what a garden, raspberries, gooseberries they look just right for picking. The hollyhocks look lovely. Its my year to have none. I should have planted some this year but got too busy. I love them so do the hummingbirds. Might look for one in the garden centre. Who mowes the lawn.

TT - you have that all wrong I am afraid. The gardens where I live are shared by all the tenants, but I am the only tenant who gardens. There is a paid gardener for all the non-fun stuff, such as mowing and paths and shed making. I tend the plants daily, plus I have a greenhouse of my own filled with tomato plants and lettuces.

The most recent photos, the ones with the gooseberry photo, are some that I took on my tour of the Frome Hidden Gardens, which are gardens all over the town whose owners open them for visitors on one or two days per year. I managed to visit those within walking distance of where I live, and posted those photos for you to enjoy. This is as part of the annual 10 day Frome Festival. I take no credit for the latter photo contents - I was just the photographer.:)

islandwoman120 Jul 12th 2011 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9489854)

p.s. I did see the mix that you add water to in the plastic bottle and shake it up......

Oh shame, British cook....;)

islandwoman120 Jul 12th 2011 7:56 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9488971)
Jackie and Rodney,

I'm going to the Claim Jumper in Summerlin tomorrow night so you can eat your heart out (American talk). Jackie I will have a seat reserved for you if you can make it.

Cheers

Cheers - You did say your cholesterol count was (fill in the blank)?;)

dontheturner Jul 12th 2011 9:45 am

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9487959)
Hi Don: this is Rosie, Jackie is on her way back to the land of the eagle, and Target stores. :)

I love the garden, and am relearning a lot of the names of plants and their habits as most of my US time was spent in the great Northwoods of Minnesota and Wisconsin - lots of trees, fewer flowers, and a very short growing season. I was accustomed to long summer evenings, and still use them to my advantage here in the UK. I am glad that you are both settling into UK life, and wish you both the very best.

Rosie

Sorry Rosie! - Lapse in the old grey matter. Do forgive me, getting your name wrong. When you feel like travelling a bit North - You will be most welcome.- Holidayed in Frome many times - and always stayed at a B & B in Chapmanslade.....
Yesterday, after Tim had met another Thai Lady, and we visited them, we came home and with a little guidance, Tim applied on line, for a job at the local Hospital. She is a (retired) Hospital Administrator - so might stand a good chance. - Lets hope so. Love Don

cheers Jul 12th 2011 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9490059)
Cheers - You did say your cholesterol count was (fill in the blank)?;)

Actually that 'pudding' sounds sickly to me but I'm sure we can find something else.
I don't know if you had Claim Jumpers in MN but they serve you so much food it is ridiculous.
When they serve desert we all share the item because it is too much.
The entree are also large and we split them between us.
Cheers

cheers Jul 12th 2011 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9488997)
Yes Joyce, poor soul. :(

You may pass along my info on the Lidl Yankee sale. :D

I passed the information along and the Americans replied and said the American food at Lidl's is as American as sauerkraut. There's gratitude for you.
They thanked you for thinking of them but said they tried quit a bit of it for the heck of it and its all pretty bad.

jasper123 Jul 12th 2011 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9489854)

Hey Barb, you go into any restaurant in Vegas ---- or as far as I know everywhere in USA and order a stack (3) pancakes its always served with butter and syrup, a lot of people have a side of bacon with them, but a couple of nice runny eggs on the side really compleat this super high colostral and fattening breakfast Hmmmm Lovely Jubbly, you just plonk the eggs on the pancakes,
the pancake mix were talking about is by aunt jerimiha or theres many other brands, its buttermilk pancake mix, it comes in a box or packet and you just follow directions and put the required amount of mix in a bowl and add the water and mix it up, thats the instant type --- or you can buy the old fashioned mix where you add an egg plus a little milk I think,
You heat a skillet drop a very small drop of veg oil in then put in a couple or 3 desert spoons for each pancake of the prepared mix, cook a few minutes each side --- turning only once when they start to bubble ---- and when there golden brown you serve,
The pancakes are nothing like the European or British pancakes that are thin, the ones we cook on pancake day in U.K. and roll up and serve with lemon & a little sugar, there nice too, --- no these are a nice thickness but not too thick ---- its certainly a work of art you know :) the texture of the mix must be just right, not enough water there too thick --- too much and there too thin, Hmmmm Lovely, now Ive just got to get some pancakes and eggs down me :) ---- I hope LIDL'S have them. but then if you can get the mix and not the syrup then everything is lost,
I also like to make Blueberry pancakes, or Banana pancakes both with the ingredients cooked inside the pancake, but the blueberries are also very nice on top the pancakes with real whipped cream on top too Hmmmm lovely :) ---- but with those two you dont put eggs on top --- well at least I dont, to me they dont go well with eggs,
Rodney. :)
PS for the people who dont live in U.S. were not talking about Golden Syrup which you see on a tin of treacle, --- NO not treacle Ugh :eek: no American style syrup is a completely different animal. -- but the best and what I prefer is the real good syrup of which the name completely escapes me, its very expensive like $6 to $8 per bottle but soooo worth it, no preservatives, Oh yes its just come to me --- Maple syrup ---- oh thats the real McCoy Hmmmm :) :D ;)

jasper123 Jul 12th 2011 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 9490282)
Sorry Rosie! - Lapse in the old grey matter. Do forgive me, getting your name wrong. When you feel like travelling a bit North - You will be most welcome.- Holidayed in Frome many times - and always stayed at a B & B in Chapmanslade.....
Yesterday, after Tim had met another Thai Lady, and we visited them, we came home and with a little guidance, Tim applied on line, for a job at the local Hospital. She is a (retired) Hospital Administrator - so might stand a good chance. - Lets hope so. Love Don

OH yes Don, tell Tim good luck from me, I hope she gets that Job, that will make her very happy :)

sallysimmons Jul 12th 2011 3:50 pm

The thought of eating maple syrup with eggs has put me right off my lunch :rofl:

cheers Jul 12th 2011 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9490750)
Hey Barb, you go into any restaurant in Vegas ---- or as far as I know everywhere in USA and order a stack (3) pancakes its always served with butter and syrup, a lot of people have a side of bacon with them, but a couple of nice runny eggs on the side really compleat this super high colostral and fattening breakfast Hmmmm Lovely Jubbly, you just plonk the eggs on the pancakes,
the pancake mix were talking about is by aunt jerimiha http://www.auntjemima.com/

or theres many other brands, its buttermilk pancake mix, it comes in a box or packet and you just follow directions and put the required amount of mix in a bowl and add the water and mix it up, thats the instant type --- or you can buy the old fashioned mix where you add an egg plus a little milk I think,
You heat a skillet drop a very small drop of veg oil in then put in a couple or 3 desert spoons for each pancake of the prepared mix, cook a few minutes each side --- turning only once when they start to bubble ---- and when there golden brown you serve,

I have forgotten but was this on the citizenship test?:D

cheers Jul 12th 2011 4:01 pm

The pancakes are nothing like the European or British pancakes that are thin, the ones we cook on pancake day in U.K. and roll up and serve with lemon & a little sugar, there nice too, ---
:) :D ;)

I think we call them 'crepes' in the US (think 'House of Pancakes')

jasper123 Jul 12th 2011 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9490665)
I passed the information along and the Americans replied and said the American food at Lidl's is as American as sauerkraut. There's gratitude for you.
They thanked you for thinking of them but said they tried quit a bit of it for the heck of it and its all pretty bad.

You mean Sauerkraut is not AMERICAN? :confused: :)

Beedubya Jul 12th 2011 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9490058)
Oh shame, British cook....;)

YES!!! Syrup and eggs are a no no!!

Though Tate & Lyle golden syrup on toast or crumpets is just divine!! :lol:

Beedubya Jul 12th 2011 8:11 pm

the pancake mix were talking about is by aunt jerimiha or theres many other brands, its buttermilk pancake mix, it comes in a box or packet and you just follow directions and put the required amount of mix in a bowl and add the water and mix it up, thats the instant type --- or you can buy the old fashioned mix where you add an egg plus a little milk I think,
The pancakes are nothing like the European or British pancakes that are thin, the ones we cook on pancake day in U.K. and roll up and serve with lemon & a little sugar, there nice too, --- no these are a nice thickness but not too thick ---- its certainly a work of art you know :) the texture of the mix must be just right, not enough water there too thick --- too much and there too thin, Hmmmm Lovely, now Ive just got to get some pancakes and eggs down me ---- I hope LIDL'S have them. but then if you can get the mix and not the syrup then everything is lost,
I also like to make Blueberry pancakes, or Banana pancakes both with the ingredients cooked inside the pancake, but the blueberries are also very nice on top the pancakes with real whipped cream on top too Hmmmm lovely :) ---- but with those two you dont put eggs on top --- well at least I dont, to me they dont go well with eggs,
Rodney.
PS for the people who dont live in U.S. were not talking about Golden Syrup which you see on a tin of treacle, --- NO not treacle Ugh :eek: no American style syrup is a completely different animal. -- but the best and what I prefer is the real good syrup of which the name completely escapes me, its very expensive like $6 to $8 per bottle but soooo worth it, no preservatives, Oh yes its just come to me --- Maple syrup ---- oh thats the real McCoy Hmmmm :D ;)

Rodney of course I am joking with you, I have been to the USA a few times and to Hawaii 5 times!!! :thumbsup: I saw the breakfasts they had at Denny's but ya know I just can't seem to put any kind of syrup on the same plate as eggs that is just SO WRONG!!, but eaten on a separate plate no problem!! :thumbsup:

Now at Lidl's I did see the shake it up with water pancake mix but I think it is their own make or some such make called McCoys as was all the "American" foodstuffs?? And maple syrup too which I always connect with Canada but do know it also comes from the Eastern States of the US, see how smart I am. :D

And I really did see Aunt Jemima's pancake mix and Snuckers (???) peanut butter at TK Maxx just the other night and LOADS of other goodies though you will surely pay for it!!!..........mmmm maybe you need to get yourself off there for a Yankee fix?? :D

For myself I am on a bit of a Union Jack fix. The decor in this kitchen is white cupboards and black benchtops, a wee bit boring, so I have livened it up just tonight with some Union Jack canisters, chopping board, cake tins and other stuff from Tesco Direct, now I am on a roll and moving into the teeny tiny living room and bidding on stuff on eBay as we speak..............

Rule Cool Britannia. :thumbsup:

jasper123 Jul 12th 2011 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9491504)
Rodney of course I am joking with you, I have been to the USA a few times and to Hawaii 5 times!!! :thumbsup: I saw the breakfasts they had at Denny's but ya know I just can't seem to put any kind of syrup on the same plate as eggs that is just SO WRONG!!, but eaten on a separate plate no problem!! :thumbsup:

Now at Lidl's I did see the shake it up with water pancake mix but I think it is their own make or some such make called McCoys as was all the "American" foodstuffs?? And maple syrup too which I always connect with Canada but do know it also comes from the Eastern States of the US, see how smart I am. :D

And I really did see Aunt Jemima's pancake mix and Snuckers (???) peanut butter at TK Maxx just the other night and LOADS of other goodies though you will surely pay for it!!!..........mmmm maybe you need to get yourself off there for a Yankee fix?? :D

For myself I am on a bit of a Union Jack fix. The decor in this kitchen is white cupboards and black benchtops, a wee bit boring, so I have livened it up just tonight with some Union Jack canisters, chopping board, cake tins and other stuff from Tesco Direct, now I am on a roll and moving into the teeny tiny living room and bidding on stuff on eBay as we speak..............

Rule Cool Britannia. :thumbsup:

Well Barb I always knew you were a smart lady anyway ;) thursday is me & mum's day to go shopping at LIDL'S and morrisons, now your absolutely right I do have to go and get my American fix at lidl's ---- now that pancake mix shake up in a bottle thingie dont sound good to me , never heard of that, I think there McCOYS brand is there own brand, those hawaiian pizzas I told you about are McCoys, so what there made in Germany --- there still better then any pizza I have tasted in the States,
I will let you know Barb how my little American shopping trip goes,
Good luck on your Union Jack fix :)

jasper123 Jul 12th 2011 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9488971)
Jackie and Rodney,

Cheers

Cheers --- never heard of that place claim jumper --- but then I never got out much :)

GoldCoastMag Jul 12th 2011 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9491869)
Well Barb I always knew you were a smart lady anyway ;) thursday is me & mum's day to go shopping at LIDL'S and morrisons, now your absolutely right I do have to go and get my American fix at lidl's ---- now that pancake mix shake up in a bottle thingie dont sound good to me , never heard of that, I think there McCOYS brand is there own brand, those hawaiian pizzas I told you about are McCoys, so what there made in Germany --- there still better then any pizza I have tasted in the States,
I will let you know Barb how my little American shopping trip goes,
Good luck on your Union Jack fix :)

Hi Rodney, pancakes (hotcakes) are so easy to make even if you dont have the box, the ingredients you need are:

1 1/2 cups plain flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 1/4 cups milk
1 egg
3 tablespoons butter, melted

just sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, egg and melted butter then quickly mix, aim for smooth.
Heat a greased frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Cook on both sides and serve hot. Cover cooked ones with a clean t-towel.

I bet your mum knows how to make drop scones or griddle scones, or even what we in australia call pikelets that we eat with jam(jelly) and cream.

You will be surprised at how quick and easy these are to make without the box mix, hope it helps

jasper123 Jul 13th 2011 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by GoldCoastMag (Post 9491916)
Hi Rodney, pancakes (hotcakes) are so easy to make even if you dont have the box, the ingredients you need are:

1 1/2 cups plain flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 1/4 cups milk
1 egg
3 tablespoons butter, melted

just sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, egg and melted butter then quickly mix, aim for smooth.
Heat a greased frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Cook on both sides and serve hot. Cover cooked ones with a clean t-towel.

I bet your mum knows how to make drop scones or griddle scones, or even what we in australia call pikelets that we eat with jam(jelly) and cream.

You will be surprised at how quick and easy these are to make without the box mix, hope it helps

Hello goldcoastmag,
You say hope it helps ------ are you kidding I am absolutely over the moon that you actually took the time to type this recipe to me --- thank you soooo much, all my 36 years in U.S. all I ever did is buy the box, never knew how to make the mix from scratch, wow you make it look so very easy, and thanks for telling in detail how to add the ingredients, lovely :) I will let you know how they turn out when I get around to making them soon, now all I need is to hope that Lidl's has that maple syrup Hmmmmm :) Im going shopping there tomorrow and I will find out.
Take care,
Rodney.

Bevm Jul 14th 2011 6:53 am

I'm not sure maple flavouring is available in the UK, but one can make mock maple syrup with it. I used to do it for my kids because they didn't like real maple syrup when young.

IIRC it's 2 cups of sugar to one of water -- though it might be the other way around! Cook on a low heat until the sugar is dissolved, and give it long enough or it'll crystaliize when it cools. Then add the flavouring.

Re eggs and syrup, I remember when we first moved to Canada ordering French toast, pretty excited because I liked it but I'd never seen it on an English menu, then getting it with a little jug of syrup. Very odd, though I did catch on to that one fast!

I love waffles, and used to have a waffle iron that got used at least once a week. I prefer them Belgian style with fruit.

Bev

jasper123 Jul 14th 2011 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9490896)
The thought of eating maple syrup with eggs has put me right off my lunch :rofl:

Hey Sally I went shopping at morrisons today and I asked if they sold maple syrup and they did, the young man took me right to it, kind of expensive though ---- but certainly worth it, its imported from Canada, its PURE maple syrup !!!!! cost was £3.25 for a 250g glass bottle, --- I bought two of them,
actually thinking about it its around about what I used to pay for it in America :) and goldcoastmag was nice enough to send me the recipe to make my own pancake mix from scratch so --- Im all set now :) cant wait to cook my pancakes and spread butter over and pour some maple syrup over them and plonk a couple of semi runny eggs on top Hmmmmm Oh pure heaven:)
Barb I went into Lidl's first to check out there so called american food sale --- oh what a joke that was, but I did see that pancake mix in a bottle, read the directions and you have to pour milk in up to the line --- shake it up and ------ so that was really silly :eek: so I put that down sharp;)
but I did buy another jar of smooth peanut butter, there own Mckennedy brand, its real good they also have the chunky, --- like the american old fashioned kind --- only better and you dont have to stir it up ---- and no preservitives whatsoever:)

sallysimmons Jul 14th 2011 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9495868)
Hey Sally I went shopping at morrisons today and I asked if they sold maple syrup and they did, the young man took me right to it, kind of expensive though ---- but certainly worth it, its imported from Canada, its PURE maple syrup !!!!! cost was £3.25 for a 250g glass bottle, --- I bought two of them,
actually thinking about it its around about what I used to pay for it in America :) and goldcoastmag was nice enough to send me the recipe to make my own pancake mix from scratch so --- Im all set now :) cant wait to cook my pancakes and spread butter over and pour some maple syrup over them and plonk a couple of semi runny eggs on top Hmmmmm Oh pure heaven:)

Now you are trying to put me off my dinner tonight:lol:

fulwood Jul 14th 2011 10:56 pm

folks my brother is 48 on August 3rd. We can't do much as I work and it's his day off. I am thinking of surprising him by cooking him a British meal. I'm not best cook so any ideas? like recipe for trifle. We can get some British products in Arizona but not a lot.. Just a random thought..