British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

anishq May 7th 2011 6:02 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 9349295)
I believe "everything in moderation" is the way to go!! I don't eat buttered crumpets everyday but if I happen to pass by a Trader Joe's I'll go in and buy some! Also cheese- I love it but only eat it occasionally. I bought some Irish Kerrygold for St Patrick's Day! One thing I have stopped doing though is putting milk in my tea. I stopped that about 10 years ago - probably because if I ordered tea in a restaurant it didn't come with milk so I just got used to drinking it black or with lemon. I also got used to dipping bread in olive oil and eat that quite a lot (we have a lot of Italians in this area and that's how they eat their bread). Olive oil is very good for you!

I love garlic so I toast my bread, scrape a clove of garlic over the surface, then dip it in olive oil. I can recommend it if you like garlic. I live alone so can get away with it!

sallysimmons May 7th 2011 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by between two worlds (Post 9349429)

I did lose some, but still have about six pounds more to go...ok ok, I should stop eating butter!!!

Tina.

I lost 30lb 2 years ago and only had another 10 to go. But I've gained back 10 of them because I started experiencing a lot of pain and stopped exercising. Now I'm more or less pain free again so I have to get my ass back into gear and start walking again.

btw - all this extra weight piled on when I stopped smoking 8 years ago. I don't know which was worse for me - smoking or being overweight!

between two worlds May 7th 2011 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9349554)
I lost 30lb 2 years ago and only had another 10 to go. But I've gained back 10 of them because I started experiencing a lot of pain and stopped exercising. Now I'm more or less pain free again so I have to get my ass back into gear and start walking again.

btw - all this extra weight piled on when I stopped smoking 8 years ago. I don't know which was worse for me - smoking or being overweight!

An old dilemma! I think a few pounds extra is better than the continued smoking damage...

So glad you are painfree now..it was the Vit D deficiency, if I remember right? amazing that can make so much difference...

I have had herniated disk pain, another thing that stops one being able to exercise....better now though, so I too must get moving again!!

Tina

jasper123 May 7th 2011 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9349067)
Rodney you reminded me of something I just came across.

While clearing out, I found a list I made of 'pros and cons' when we were considering buying a house in Toronto years ago. Pros were things like 'nice sized bathroom' and 'new kitchen units.' Cons were 'saw neighbor spitting on the pavement!' We did buy the house and I don't think it happened again, but it obviously made an impression on me because I wrote it down!

Do people not do that in England? I just assumed they did. It's my least favorite thing in the world. Don't care about swearing and I'm used to stepping around horse droppings in Manhattan but I hate accidentally stepping in a gobbet of spit :lol:

NOPE Sally I have never seen it yet, people spitting in public!!!! I think its just the way it is over here, and when its against the law I suppose people treat it more seriously here,
I do like that very much, ---- and I think a lot of the things people do and dont do over here in general has got a lot to do with this ----- this is what I think --- and this is only my opinion so please anyone dont come down on me, --- I just think over here in UK the majority of people just seem to have more respect for other people, ----- and themselves, and I think that most people here seem to genuinely ACTUALLY care what other people think about them,
I dont think its an age related thing either, ----- And I never felt that way in all my years in USA, Just my opinion Guys :lol:
PS one other thing I noticed in America about the spitting thing, you hardly ever saw a female person spit in public --- it was always a male person, ---
Hmmmmmm :confused: think about it dont you all think thats a little strange?:ohmy: you know its a man thing like chewing tobacco --- how many women have you seen CHEW tobacco? and men just spit it out on the street just missing your feet if your lucky :eek::eek::eek: if you live out west or down south especially. ---- just sayin :rofl:
Rodney.

Englishmum May 7th 2011 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9349067)

Do people not do that in England? I just assumed they did. It's my least favorite thing in the world. Don't care about swearing and I'm used to stepping around horse droppings in Manhattan but I hate accidentally stepping in a gobbet of spit :lol:

You'd better not go on a visit to Singapore, Hong Kong or mainland China then!

It's extremely common for the locals to loudly clear their throats and gob up a huge amount of spit, wherever they happen to be (even at a food court! :thumbdown:).

I was recently in a taxi in Singapore and the driver had to stop at a red traffic light....so he cleared his throat, opened the door and spat a huge gob out of his mouth. I felt sick... :frown:

jasper123 May 7th 2011 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by between two worlds (Post 9349429)
Thanks for this, Sally! It's all too easy to sound as if we are lecturing when we are passionate about something--after all, I went right ahead and got all lecture-y about smoking! ChrisWinter rightly called me on it.

I know people haven't always eaten advisable things...I guess I was thinking of smoking as a modern, artificial, non-nutritious thing...whereas dairy, even if from another species, is a natural food--and close to breast milk, our first and most complete food! Milk is an archetypal desired food--Land of milk and honey, etc...

On the other hand, smoking is actually not that modern--the native Americans were probably smoking for centuries before Sr Walter Raleigh or whoever noticed it! But wasn't it just once in a while, and weren't their pipes less addictive than modern cigarettes are???

Well anyway, as we so often say on here, different strokes for different folks...and moderation in all things.

I am right with you on the exercise...not only do I know I need to lose the weight, it would make me look better and perhaps live longer, it would also make me FEEL better...and, idiot that I also am, I still don't do it!

I did lose some, but still have about six pounds more to go...ok ok, I should stop eating butter!!!

Tina.

The native Indians --- they smoked a peace pipe ---- I heard it was not tobacco in the pipe it was wacky backy (weed) THAT HAS ALSO BEEN AROUND SINCE THE BEGUINING OF TIME LIKE TOBACCO,
Thats why they called it a peace pipe, remember the 1960,s and the flower children/MAKE LOVE NOT WAR ;)

windsong May 7th 2011 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9347124)
I agree with you - it IS the dog owner who is at fault, not the animal. Unfortunately, here in Somerset, the CCTV camera scheme has been discontinued due to lack of funds. Hence my dislike of dogs in town - not saying they should not exist, but not on the downtown streets. I am constantly amazed at the sheer number of dogs in the shopping areas - been in the USA too long to agree that dogs should be tied up outside of shops whilst their owners are inside. Who knows which one is friendly, which one is scared/nervous/skittish therefore don't go near to it?

Fine the owners; don't punish the dogs. Of course, you can always move if it gets too bad - or come up with a plan to raise the money to activate the CCTV again.

islandwoman120 May 8th 2011 1:24 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9349823)
The native Indians --- they smoked a peace pipe ---- I heard it was not tobacco in the pipe it was wacky backy (weed) THAT HAS ALSO BEEN AROUND SINCE THE BEGUINING OF TIME LIKE TOBACCO,
Thats why they called it a peace pipe, remember the 1960,s and the flower children/MAKE LOVE NOT WAR ;)

Oh Rodney! It was kinnikinnick that they used, and still do use - ceremonial tobacco!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinnikinnick

I have some here - it smells great and reminds me of my American home in Minnesota :)

islandwoman120 May 8th 2011 1:27 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9349873)
Fine the owners; don't punish the dogs. Of course, you can always move if it gets too bad - or come up with a plan to raise the money to activate the CCTV again.

Read what I wrote again - I did not say to punish the dogs. And I still think that it is wrong to take your animals everywhere you go in public. You have your opinion, I have mine.

cheers May 8th 2011 1:56 am

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 9349729)

It's extremely common for the locals to loudly clear their throats and gob up a huge amount of spit, wherever they happen to be (even at a food court! :thumbdown:).

I was recently in a taxi in Singapore and the driver had to stop at a red traffic light....so he cleared his throat, opened the door and spat a huge gob out of his mouth. I felt sick... :frown:

So what is the deal, in Singapore, of putting people in Jail for wrongly disposing of chewing gum?

cheers May 8th 2011 2:53 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9349682)
NOPE Sally I have never seen it yet, people spitting in public!!!! ---- just sayin :rofl:
Rodney.

Hey Rod it is a custom here. Remember watching baseball games and the players spitting all the time and when they are constantly feeling their crotch to make sure its still there..

bandrui May 8th 2011 3:18 am

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9349987)
Oh Rodney! It was kinnikinnick that they used, and still do use - ceremonial tobacco!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinnikinnick

I have some here - it smells great and reminds me of my American home in Minnesota :)

I don't know who wrote that Wiki entry (actually anyone can write them) but Kinnickinnick is another name for the Bearberry plant aka uva ursi aka Arctostaphylos uva ursi. It is a native plant here and in Europe. It does mean "that which is mixed" because Native Americans mixed it with tobacco.
http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.c...=A1ARTA0000587
I have been to a few pipe ceremonies and it is required that you take a pouch of tobacco as a gift for the chief; they consider it sacred.
There are quite a few herbal smoking mixtures using plants like mullein, nepeta, damiana and I usually have some on hand though I also smoke tobacco.
It is quite likely that they also smoked cannabis which has been smoked by indigenous peoples since 8000 BC and mentioned in most countries sacred texts (Hindu, Talmud, etc.) and brought to America by Columbus.

Mummy in the foothills May 8th 2011 5:09 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9350053)
I don't know who wrote that Wiki entry (actually anyone can write them) but Kinnickinnick is another name for the Bearberry plant aka uva ursi aka Arctostaphylos uva ursi. It is a native plant here and in Europe. It does mean "that which is mixed" because Native Americans mixed it with tobacco.
I have been to a few pipe ceremonies and it is required that you take a pouch of tobacco as a gift for the chief; they consider it sacred.
There are quite a few herbal smoking mixtures using plants like mullein, nepeta, damiana and I usually have some on hand though I also smoke tobacco.
It is quite likely that they also smoked cannabis which has been smoked by indigenous peoples since 8000 BC and mentioned in most countries sacred texts (Hindu, Talmud, etc.) and brought to America by Columbus.

I thought the native Americans used Peyote, I know I had some friends who used to go out to the desert and smoke the stuff

dontheturner May 8th 2011 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 9349729)

Well, Guys - In Thailand, Everybody does it, even young girls. (Had to stop my Wife doing it - as it is breaking the law in the UK). Don

islandwoman120 May 8th 2011 9:45 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9350053)

I am well aware that a Wiki can be written by anyone, but as my comments were made for the benefit of a specific person on this thread, I chose one which suits my audience. I don't need a long diatribe to show how much you know - I am cognizant of the fact that you are an educated person from reading your prior postings. And I speak on the subject of ceremonial tobacco from the viewpoint of Someone Who Knows, not just in an abstract manner. Not everyone on here is white, middle class, British. Some of us have deeper roots.

jasper123 May 8th 2011 10:29 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9350036)
Hey Rod it is a custom here. Remember watching baseball games and the players spitting all the time and when they are constantly feeling their crotch to make sure its still there..

Cheers if you read my posts you will see that I said that I have not seen anyone spit in public (HERE) in UK ------ but its a daily occurence in the States, and Guys stopping there car or truck at the traffic lights and opening there door and spiting a big load on the street :eek::eek:
And I did say that it was a guy thing --- and it is isn't it,
BUT I must say that over here in UK when I watch a soccer game on TV I do see a whole lot of spitting going on from the (GUY) :ohmy: players right in front of the cameras :eek: --- so thats the only place Ive seen it over here though is on the football field, ----- so when they fall down and there rolling in each others spit ---- well I suppose that goes with the territory,
Of course that wouldn't matter in American football cause the players are dressed in all there armour from head to toe that none of there skin is exposed, unlike the Soccer players,

jasper123 May 8th 2011 10:55 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9349123)
I think spitting is pretty common in the UK.

What you don't get in the UK is tobacco-spitting - disgusting habit. I had a student in class (US) who was spitting tobacco juice into a paper cup - until I noticed, then he was out of there.

In football games they seem to do it so much I'm surprised they don't dehydrate themselves. :rolleyes:

I guess it all depends on where you live in the U.K. really ---- you know regarding the spitting thing,
I just heard on the news on the wireless that Gordon Brown has been given a Job overseeing the Scotish government in some capacity, so the no cost prescriptions may become a thing of the past --- unless you are over 60,

windsong May 8th 2011 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9350418)
I am well aware that a Wiki can be written by anyone, but as my comments were made for the benefit of a specific person on this thread, I chose one which suits my audience. I don't need a long diatribe to show how much you know - I am cognizant of the fact that you are an educated person from reading your prior postings. And I speak on the subject of ceremonial tobacco from the viewpoint of Someone Who Knows, not just in an abstract manner. Not everyone on here is white, middle class, British. Some of us have deeper roots.

Oh my!!! Can't we all just get along?

Englishmum May 8th 2011 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9350008)
So what is the deal, in Singapore, of putting people in Jail for wrongly disposing of chewing gum?

TBH I honestly don't know of anyone whom has ever been fined for having chewing gum (I don't think they would give a prison sentence unless someone refused to pay the fine). Personally I can't stand the stuff myself, they just don't like the mess left by casually discarded used gum, so they banned it.

They quietly changed the law a few years ago so that one is allowed to have a small quantity for personal use only ie. not enough to sell to others. However, it can't be purchased anywhere in Singapore, I'm not even sure about the gum for quitting smoking but I don't think even that is available in Singapore.

However....just across the causeway in Malaysia you can find chewing gum for sale everywhere! All the expat kids at the international schools had loads of supplies as their dads were always going away on business trips and bringing it back.

Ironically I was once on a Singapore Airlines flight and sitting next to an Indian expat lady...her husband was based in Singapore as a regional sales director for Wrigleys! :lol: He found it easier to be based there because of the superb flight connections to the rest of Asia and beyond.

cheers May 9th 2011 12:43 am

I hope all of you mothers are having a happy Mothers Day:thumbup:

We are having gale winds here.

bandrui May 9th 2011 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9350131)
I thought the native Americans used Peyote, I know I had some friends who used to go out to the desert and smoke the stuff

They do, but I don't think they use it in the peace pipe ceremony. They probably also have variations from band to band.

bandrui May 10th 2011 3:13 am

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9350418)

I have just seen this and had to laugh. I only said that kinnickinnick is an alternate name for Bearberry.
From this you have jumped to a conclusion that I am educated, white, middle class? :rofl:
I made my remark as a trained gardener but have also spent time immersed in native spirituality. Perhaps you have too.

cheers May 10th 2011 4:57 pm

William and Kate are on their honeymoon on an island in the Indian Ocean.
Seychelles Island

Arnold S and his wife Marie Shriver have separated.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-separate.html

So you know.

cheers May 10th 2011 11:09 pm

Hey Rod, I see you are on line as I write. Do you have any rain today?
I am out of prescriptions and I'm reading this flyer from my provider and they advertise they are fast and convenient so I read this to the customer service guy on the phone and I say this is false advertising because its neither fast or convenient. I called them 14 days ago and they still haven't shipped them yet and I'm out of the prescription now.
I called them to order but there was no refills so they have to contact the doctor and by the time they got the refill order it took 7 days then they take 7 days to fill the order then it takes 5 days to receive it. No wonder they don't want Socialized medicine. The system is broken.
I might ad that this is because I have RX insurance. I could go to the doctors office and pickup a prescription and have my pills in 30 minutes but I need to save money!

Gabgoeshome May 11th 2011 1:53 am

mistake !

Gabgoeshome May 11th 2011 1:55 am

edited .

Fish n Chips 56 May 11th 2011 5:11 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9356179)
I am out of prescriptions and I'm reading this flyer from my provider and they advertise they are fast and convenient so I read this to the customer service guy on the phone and I say this is false advertising because its neither fast or convenient. I called them 14 days ago and they still haven't shipped them yet and I'm out of the prescription now.
I called them to order but there was no refills so they have to contact the doctor and by the time they got the refill order it took 7 days then they take 7 days to fill the order then it takes 5 days to receive it. No wonder they don't want Socialized medicine. The system is broken.

I take it your provider is an insurance company, C-mon Cheers, when did they care about you? all they care about is your Money.

Funnily enough Ive been getting my allergy meds from Safeway for 12 years, 60 tablets per month, at the start of the month I got that call reminding me that my prescription was ready, I went in to pick it up and it wasn't ready, they were out and had no idea when my meds would be available, they actually had 20 tablets I could buy, but I would have to pay another co pay to recieve the remaining 40 tablets, fortunatly for me I had extra tablets on hand, I checked a week later and they had my prescription...

My wife went to walmart to pick her prescription and they were out too, Coincidences really do happen, but it seems strange.

jasper123 May 11th 2011 9:16 am

I might ad that this is because I have RX insurance. I could go to the doctors office and pickup a prescription and have my pills in 30 minutes but I need to save money!

Cheers I really feel for you, been there done that, the system is well and truly broken every which way in the U.S.
Anyway here in UK I needed a repeat prescription filled, so a couple of days ago I just filled out this little piece of paper at the doctors office, they just want your name address and the medications that you need and drop it in the little box at the reception desk, two days later you go to docs office and pick the prescription up, the chemist is right in side the huge doctors office building that houses 19 doctors, all G.P.'S --- and you just hand it in --- they ask do you want to wait you say yes please and its ready within 10 minutes, once they were really busy and it took them 15 minutes to call my name then you pick em up --- the pharmacist explains about the dosage and they can see your age on top of the prescription so if your over 60 like me then they know they dont have to charge you anything,
or if your on welfare or getting any kind of state help --- or your getting job seekers allowance ect ect they still will not charge you.
Nice and easy huh ---- I love it,
Yesterday I had an appointment for a compleat physical exam, my Doc has ordered a lot of the usual blood tests for me, I have to go around in a couple of days to get them done,

dunroving May 11th 2011 9:27 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9357015)
Cheers I really feel for you, been there done that, the system is well and truly broken every which way in the U.S.
Anyway here in UK I needed a repeat prescription filled, so a couple of days ago I just filled out this little piece of paper at the doctors office, they just want your name address and the medications that you need and drop it in the little box at the reception desk, two days later you go to docs office and pick the prescription up, the chemist is right in side the huge doctors office building that houses 19 doctors, all G.P.'S --- and you just hand it in --- they ask do you want to wait you say yes please and its ready within 10 minutes, once they were really busy and it took them 15 minutes to call my name then you pick em up --- the pharmacist explains about the dosage and they can see your age on top of the prescription so if your over 60 like me then they know they dont have to charge you anything,
or if your on welfare or getting any kind of state help --- or your getting job seekers allowance ect ect they still will not charge you.
Nice and easy huh ---- I love it,
Yesterday I had an appointment for a compleat physical exam, my Doc has ordered a lot of the usual blood tests for me, I have to go around in a couple of days to get them done,

On a side note, prescriptions in Scotland are now free (since April 1st - no joke!). When I chatted with the chemist about the cost to teh government, he said something like 80% of peple were eligible for free prescriptions anyway, which floored me - combination of older, unemployed, on benefits, have kids, I'm not sure what was teh basis for so many people being eligible for free prescriptions, but now us not-so-poor people have them free also. Personally, I think they should charge something, even if it's just £1 per prescription.

jasper123 May 11th 2011 9:29 am

OMG Cheers this spring so far has been absolutely bloomin great --- fantastic weather --- the best!!!! today though its quite cloudy and looks like it may rain a bit today, --- but then its likely to be nice and sunny this afternoon when me and Mum and her friend Molly come back from shopping,
Got to go now, --- see u later alligator ---- Oh I so love it here, ---- anyone that can come over now with no problems like a house to sell etc etc my advice is come over at your most earliest convenience, you will love the UK as it is today --- at this time in history.

windsong May 11th 2011 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9355357)
William and Kate are on their honeymoon on an island in the Indian Ocean.
Seychelles Island

Arnold S and his wife Marie Shriver have separated.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-separate.html

So you know.

Not at all surprised about Schrivers.

I didn't know W & K decided to take a honeymoon but I am not surprised they said they weren't going to do it and then did it after all :)

cheers May 11th 2011 4:41 pm

You knew this right??

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...n-2282110.html

cheers May 13th 2011 10:31 pm

Well the price of oil is well down in the last few days and below $100 per barrel. This is followed by the value of the dollar against sterling which up,up.

I think I have a date for going back to the UK. How about July 2012? Unfortunately I will be escorted by four US citizens who will make sure I come back to the US.

Cheers.

Bevm May 14th 2011 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9357999)

I agree that a lot of things in the UK are overpriced for tourists. Just traveling around we've come across some rip-offs, especially if it's something olde worlde. Businesses are entitled to their profit, but I think too many want too much profit. They're not happy with a steady business that provides a decent living.

In fact, I see that as a basic English problem -- can't say about the other parts of the UK. Entrepreneurs want to become rich, or at least feel that if they don't, they've failed. Their long-term ambition is probably to make enough money that they don't have to work at all!

The rest rarely have the ambition/confidence to contemplate that, and aren't drawn to start a small business, except for some sorts of immigrants who totally get the idea of a family working hard to run a small business that keeps everyone comfortable for a long time but isn't the foundation of great wealth.

I think the exception to all this is the building trades.

Bev

Derrygal May 14th 2011 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9363104)
Well the price of oil is well down in the last few days and below $100 per barrel. This is followed by the value of the dollar against sterling which up,up.

I think I have a date for going back to the UK. How about July 2012? Unfortunately I will be escorted by four US citizens who will make sure I come back to the US.

Cheers.

Okay - I know one of your 4 escorts will be your American wife - who are the others - your children? It's great that you're going back for a visit though - something to look forward to - will you be there for the summer Olympics? I'm hoping to get back next year for a visit - but I usually go in early September (air fares are a little bit cheaper then and not as many crowds as the schools will be back).

cheers May 14th 2011 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 9364037)
Okay - I know one of your 4 escorts will be your American wife - who are the others - your children? .

DW, DD, and 2 DGS.

islandwoman120 May 16th 2011 5:26 pm

Visit to Buckfast Abbey, Devon:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7626713928318/

bandrui May 16th 2011 8:50 pm

Where are you Beedubya? Busy moving? How is the new flat? Are you settling in? Any luck finding a temp job until the other one kicks in?

jasper123 May 16th 2011 10:16 pm

Cheers of course everyone knows its very expensive to come here to UK as a tourist, OMG you will need a freaking fortune to live here just for 2 weeks even --- in any part of the country,
No Im talking about living here --- now thats a whole new ball game pardner, ohhhh yes indeed, thats what Im talking about!!!! ;) :)

Mummy in the foothills May 16th 2011 10:59 pm

Yes but tourists tend to eat in all the wrong places don't they. You wouldn't catch locals spending that kind of money unless sit was a special night out.
You want good food at good prices you eat where the locals eat, we do that no matter where we are visiting and always get good meals at good prices. We save one night for a fancy tourist trap night before we leave, and it's a 50/50 chance as to whether it's any better than the nice local people places.
Asda for breakfast, coffee bars or sandwich place for lunch, Fish and chips or chinese for dinner, and not the one plonk in the middle of town on the main streets.
Just saying!