British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

dgjamison May 17th 2011 12:14 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
Queen Elizabeth has just landed in Dublin Airport, what a fantastic historical moment, :) May she have a great visit and enjoy it here, am so happy and proud to see this day, and no matter what, the vast majority of the people of Ireland welcome this visit , how lovely she wore green such a lovely gesture
from her.A hundred thousand welcomes:thumbsup: cead mile failte....:thumbsup:

Derrygal May 17th 2011 10:25 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by dgjamison (Post 9369478)
Queen Elizabeth has just landed in Dublin Airport, what a fantastic historical moment, :) May she have a great visit and enjoy it here, am so happy and proud to see this day, and no matter what, the vast majority of the people of Ireland welcome this visit , how lovely she wore green such a lovely gesture
from her.A hundred thousand welcomes:thumbsup: cead mile failte....:thumbsup:

Yes - it is a historical day for Ireland - I though the Queen looked lovely in the emerald green, although she changed into white later in the day (don't know why) :confused:

cheers May 17th 2011 11:12 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 9370772)
Yes - it is a historical day for Ireland - I though the Queen looked lovely in the emerald green, although she changed into white later in the day (don't know why) :confused:

She didn't need the camouflage anymore.:D

Celticspirit May 18th 2011 2:38 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9370852)
She didn't need the camouflage anymore.:D

It is a happy day for those of us who hold a UK passport but also feel Irish.

Derrygal May 18th 2011 2:39 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 9371147)
It is a happy day for those of us who hold a UK passport but also feel Irish.

Like me!!!! :)

bandrui May 18th 2011 4:50 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 9370772)
Yes - it is a historical day for Ireland - I though the Queen looked lovely in the emerald green, although she changed into white later in the day (don't know why) :confused:

They were saying on the radio that the white in the Irish flag is for peace. Perhaps that's why. I don't think she'll be wearing the orange though. ;)
It is indeed a great day and I was happy to hear that over 90% of the people welcomed this visit.

dgjamison May 19th 2011 10:48 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 9370772)
Yes - it is a historical day for Ireland - I though the Queen looked lovely in the emerald green, although she changed into white later in the day (don't know why) :confused:

I have been glued to the tv watching and I was so amazed at how emotional I got when she landed, I was crying:o I think my husband thought I had gone mad, but she is such a gracious lady, and from what I believe she and the Irish president get along really well, which is fantastic. I was just so sad that
the people of Dublin who wanted to greet her and genuinely love her were deprived of a glimpse of her because of the few who would want to drag us
back to the terrible past, but it will never happen again Thankgod and hopefully our friendships will get stronger:fingerscrossed::wub:

cheers May 23rd 2011 4:05 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
I read the following and thought I would bring it over here.

It was great to start with, everything was new and fresh, but it soon got very depressing, endless expense, the famous rubbish unpredictable, unreliable, weather, and that particularly English peoples ability of working so hard to be miserable. Why do the Brits always want to moan about everything? The Ozzies call us 'whinging Poms' for a good reason.

We tried hard, but the novelty wore off and we both wanted to move back to the hot and sunny Philippines. Last year we decided to give it a go and we don't regret it one bit.

I went back to England for a week last month, visited my parents, got a new US work visa in London, and oddly enough, I quite liked it......


I think this is an honest post. 'always greener...'

Celticspirit May 23rd 2011 5:07 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9381515)
I read the following and thought I would bring it over here.

It was great to start with, everything was new and fresh, but it soon got very depressing, endless expense, the famous rubbish unpredictable, unreliable, weather, and that particularly English peoples ability of working so hard to be miserable. Why do the Brits always want to moan about everything? The Ozzies call us 'whinging Poms' for a good reason.

We tried hard, but the novelty wore off and we both wanted to move back to the hot and sunny Philippines. Last year we decided to give it a go and we don't regret it one bit.

I went back to England for a week last month, visited my parents, got a new US work visa in London, and oddly enough, I quite liked it......


I think this is an honest post. 'always greener...'

Cheers, thanks - this is a reality check especially for those here who do not go back on a regular basis. I have gone back three times already to live permanently married (plus 40' containers each time) Since then, visit once or twice a year. At this stage of my life I hope it works out but nothing is set in stone, re UK/USA Both countries have positives and negatives. I would just prefer to end up where the majority of my blood family lives. There are people here on this forum with no family to speak of in the UK and seem so bitter for the lives lived "wasted" in the USA. I just choose to look at it differently....I don't regret one second of my life. I wouldn't be the person I am, with the wonderful children and the career I have. I am not scared of making this move providing the divorce and house sale go according to plan. Nothing in life is set in stone. One can only move forward. Feeling better every day. Thanks for all the supportive people here especially when I got on first and very scared. You are all so supportive.

cheers May 23rd 2011 5:42 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
Its a bad day in Dodge........with the Presidents 'beast' getting stuck because of the drivers error while he was in Ireland. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb!

I just heard and you can write this down.......Obama will not get reelected in 2012. Why? for many reasons and the latest is he has lost the Jewish backing.

Note: I'm a Obama supporter!

Note: the presidents limo is known as the beast in the UK. Its cumbersome, vulgar, unsightly and embarrassing and shows a bad side of America.

The country is broke but we flought wealth when the president travels and look at all the SUV's

Just sayin!

dgjamison May 23rd 2011 7:10 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 9381575)
Cheers, thanks - this is a reality check especially for those here who do not go back on a regular basis. I have gone back three times already to live permanently married (plus 40' containers each time) Since then, visit once or twice a year. At this stage of my life I hope it works out but nothing is set in stone, re UK/USA Both countries have positives and negatives. I would just prefer to end up where the majority of my blood family lives. There are people here on this forum with no family to speak of in the UK and seem so bitter for the lives lived "wasted" in the USA. I just choose to look at it differently....I don't regret one second of my life. I wouldn't be the person I am, with the wonderful children and the career I have. I am not scared of making this move providing the divorce and house sale go according to plan. Nothing in life is set in stone. One can only move forward. Feeling better every day. Thanks for all the supportive people here especially when I got on first and very scared. You are all so supportive.

Celticspirit, I have missed so many posts, I did'nt know you were having such a bad time, but what a really possitive outlook, and I totally agree with everything you have said. I don't regret my trips to Australia, or Canada, as I think it really broadened my mind and my outlook on life, and that of my kids, and like you it was a rich experience for us. You have your children still over there and your careet, that in itself is good reason to be uncertain of what you should do, have you decided to return to the UK again or just thinking about it? I really wish you all the best in whatever you decide, and you will always have friends on here. Good luck:fingerscrossed::wub: Denise

fulwood May 24th 2011 12:31 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
just a bit of useless info but today is a good day! Last night my brother and i were able to listen to the familiar strains of good ol' Corrie. I finally was able to download ExpatShield (thanks YouTube). tonight going to watch episode of Corrie and Escape to the Country. goodbye crappy cable and $60 more bucks in my pocket..

Derrygal May 24th 2011 1:05 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 9383412)
just a bit of useless info but today is a good day! Last night my brother and i were able to listen to the familiar strains of good ol' Corrie. I finally was able to download ExpatShield (thanks YouTube). tonight going to watch episode of Corrie and Escape to the Country. goodbye crappy cable and $60 more bucks in my pocket..

Good for you!! Yes American television is (mostly) cr*p. I cancelled my cable subscription about 18 months ago - I only get the basic network channels now - I don't miss it and save close to $70 a month!!

fulwood May 24th 2011 1:42 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
hey derrygal, i get about 100 channels, about 5 religious, 5 spanish, about 5 sports (bloody baseball and american football) only decent ones worth watching are like hgtv, bravo, tcm, and a few others.. ridiculous. when I go back to UK I NEVER get bored of British telly.. One of my favorites movies is on AMC right now - True Grit.. movie is 2hours and 8 mins long but 3 hours allotted so nearly an hour of commercials..

cheers May 24th 2011 2:38 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
I was just watching BBC-TV and a travel program along the A 303?. The fellow is driving a restored Morris Minor Traveler.

cheers May 24th 2011 2:46 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
I was just watching BBC-TV and a travel program along the A 303?. The fellow is driving a restored Morris Minor Traveler.

Celticspirit May 24th 2011 5:28 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by dgjamison (Post 9382906)
Celticspirit, I have missed so many posts, I did'nt know you were having such a bad time, but what a really possitive outlook, and I totally agree with everything you have said. I don't regret my trips to Australia, or Canada, as I think it really broadened my mind and my outlook on life, and that of my kids, and like you it was a rich experience for us. You have your children still over there and your careet, that in itself is good reason to be uncertain of what you should do, have you decided to return to the UK again or just thinking about it? I really wish you all the best in whatever you decide, and you will always have friends on here. Good luck:fingerscrossed::wub: Denise

I am for sure on the way "home" and intend to visit my new Four Winds friends. Being an an international dog judge gives me the opportunity to continue in the UK. No money involved....just expenses...but what a treat to have the honour to put your hands on exhibitors pride and joy!! I am judging in Sweden July and travel on July 4th...hope all is ok. Cant wait to meet both of you Denise . xxxx

jasper123 May 24th 2011 2:32 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9382713)
Its a bad day in Dodge........with the Presidents 'beast' getting stuck because of the drivers error while he was in Ireland. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb!

I just heard and you can write this down.......Obama will not get reelected in 2012. Why? for many reasons and the latest is he has lost the Jewish backing.

Note: I'm a Obama supporter!

Note: the presidents limo is known as the beast in the UK. Its cumbersome, vulgar, unsightly and embarrassing and shows a bad side of America.

The country is broke but we flought wealth when the president travels and look at all the SUV's

Just sayin!

Cheers Obama may as you say have lost the Jewish vote but he has gained the millions of Irish votes by simply saying his great great great grandfather was Irish on his Mothers side ---- the BBC says that makes him 5% Irish,
Hmmmm WOW a whole 5% huh :) I hear that when he returns to the US OF A he is going to put a apostrophe after the O and call himself O'Bama ;)

Beedubya May 24th 2011 3:37 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9384530)
Cheers Obama may as you say have lost the Jewish vote but he has gained the millions of Irish votes by simply saying his great great great grandfather was Irish on his Mothers side ---- the BBC says that makes him 5% Irish,
Hmmmm WOW a whole 5% huh :) I hear that when he returns to the US OF A he is going to put a apostrophe after the O and call himself O'Bama ;)

WOW I was just watching that on BBC online, he sure turned that crowd on, he reminded me a bit of a rock star when he shouted out Hello Dublin, Hello Ireland, couldn't see The Queen doing that!!! :eek:

Then I watched the video where they arrived at Buckingham Palace, I noticed Michelle didn't curtsey to The Queen, nor did Obama bow, is this normal protocol? Not that I have ever met The Queen, just saying...........

I was GOBSMACKED at the entourage, apparently there is a surgical team as well as blood at the ready, just in case. And people talk about the security in this country for say the Royal Wedding the other week, I wonder just how much the US security/entourage/surgical bill is!!! :eek::eek::eek:


p.s. I wonder if her Majesty travels with blood?? The things one thinks of when one is bored...........

dgjamison May 24th 2011 3:48 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 9383756)
I am for sure on the way "home" and intend to visit my new Four Winds friends. Being an an international dog judge gives me the opportunity to continue in the UK. No money involved....just expenses...but what a treat to have the honour to put your hands on exhibitors pride and joy!! I am judging in Sweden July and travel on July 4th...hope all is ok. Cant wait to meet both of you Denise . xxxx

That is fantastic, my best friend from School lives in stockholm , she married a swedish guy, Sweden is beautiful, an please get in touch when you get back I would love to meet you:) Denise

Beedubya May 24th 2011 3:52 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by dgjamison (Post 9384662)
That is fantastic, my best friend from School lives in stockholm , she married a swedish guy, Sweden is beautiful, an please get in touch when you get back I would love to meet you:) Denise

Oh that is soooo nice to hear that you 2 ladies will be meeting up. I think this may be a first???

I know Trottytrue and Denise meet for coffee's but they are still over there.....

I would love to meet up with one of our returnee's. :thumbsup:

Beedubya May 24th 2011 3:54 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9384646)
WOW I was just watching that on BBC online, he sure turned that crowd on, he reminded me a bit of a rock star when he shouted out Hello Dublin, Hello Ireland, couldn't see The Queen doing that!!! :eek:

Then I watched the video where they arrived at Buckingham Palace, I noticed Michelle didn't curtsey to The Queen, nor did Obama bow, is this normal protocol? Not that I have ever met The Queen, just saying...........

I was GOBSMACKED at the entourage, apparently there is a surgical team as well as blood at the ready, just in case. And people talk about the security in this country for say the Royal Wedding the other week, I wonder just how much the US security/entourage/surgical bill is!!! :eek::eek::eek:


p.s. I wonder if her Majesty travels with blood?? The things one thinks of when one is bored...........


Well I will answer my own question re protocol, apparently it is only the British that are supposed to bow or curtsey as she is our Head of State, apparently with Obama and Michelle being Head of State and First Lady, according to one website they are equal to The Queen. :unsure::o:blink:

jasper123 May 24th 2011 3:56 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9384646)
WOW I was just watching that on BBC online, he sure turned that crowd on, he reminded me a bit of a rock star when he shouted out Hello Dublin, Hello Ireland, couldn't see The Queen doing that!!! :eek:

Then I watched the video where they arrived at Buckingham Palace, I noticed Michelle didn't curtsy to The Queen, nor did Obama bow, is this normal protocol? Not that I have ever met The Queen, just saying...........

I was GOBSMACKED at the entourage, apparently there is a surgical team as well as blood at the ready, just in case. And people talk about the security in this country for say the Royal Wedding the other week, I wonder just how much the US security/entourage/surgical bill is!!! :eek::eek::eek:


p.s. I wonder if her Majesty travels with blood?? The things one thinks of when one is bored...........

Bored Bored Bored? not you my dear, when is your new Job going to start?

jasper123 May 24th 2011 4:02 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9384672)
Oh that is soooo nice to hear that you 2 ladies will be meeting up. I think this may be a first???

I know Trottytrue and Denise meet for coffee's but they are still over there.....

I would love to meet up with one of our returnee's. :thumbsup:

Barb I have an invitation to visit Don & Tim in Shropshire for a couple of days when I can make it up there, perhaps we can go together maybe one day?
I will have to go by train.

dgjamison May 24th 2011 4:05 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9384675)
Well I will answer my own question re protocol, apparently it is only the British that are supposed to bow or curtsey as she is our Head of State, apparently with Obama and Michelle being Head of State and First Lady, according to one website they are equal to The Queen. :unsure::o:blink:

You know I noticed this even with Mary McAleese the Irish President, she did'nt curtsy, I find it sad some things are going by the wayside, although I
have been told the Queen is a total stickler for protocol, so she may not approve if another head of state bows to her, and I wonder may this be stated
in the rules given to anyone meeting her. The commentator said when she was inspecting the Irish guards of honor that she was'nt just doing the rounds as it were, she new her stuff and would be really checking them out:lol: and would notice if anything was not right.

Beedubya May 24th 2011 4:06 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9384682)
Bored Bored Bored? not you my dear, when is your new Job going to start?

1st June, which is next Wednesday, one week from tomorrow, yipee aye eh!!! BORED BORED BORED is my middle name!!!!:lol:

Beedubya May 24th 2011 4:08 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9384693)
Barb I have an invitation to visit Don & Tim in Shropshire for a couple of days when I can make it up there, perhaps we can go together maybe one day?
I will have to go by train.


Well that would be nice eh? I think Shropshire is not THAT far from here, but maybe out of my driving boundaries!! But I do love train trips, maybe Jackie and Peigi and DDL and Rosie and David and and and could join us? What do you think of that? I think Shropshire is pretty much in the middle...............good plan or what old bean??? :thumbsup:

Beedubya May 24th 2011 4:09 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by dgjamison (Post 9384696)
You know I noticed this even with Mary McAleese the Irish President, she did'nt curtsy, I find it sad some things are going by the wayside, although I
have been told the Queen is a total stickler for protocol, so she may not approve if another head of state bows to her, and I wonder may this be stated
in the rules given to anyone meeting her. The commentator said when she was inspecting the Irish guards of honor that she was'nt just doing the rounds as it were, she new her stuff and would be really checking them out:lol: and would notice if anything was not right.

Maybe it's just a sign of the times? Old fashioned to some people maybe, I just read that Cherie Blair (wife of ex PM Tony) refused point blank to curtsey or bow to The Queen, off with her head I say!!!!! :D

Englishmum May 24th 2011 4:21 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by dgjamison (Post 9384696)
You know I noticed this even with Mary McAleese the Irish President, she did'nt curtsy, I find it sad some things are going by the wayside, although I
have been told the Queen is a total stickler for protocol, so she may not approve if another head of state bows to her, and I wonder may this be stated
in the rules given to anyone meeting her. The commentator said when she was inspecting the Irish guards of honor that she was'nt just doing the rounds as it were, she new her stuff and would be really checking them out:lol: and would notice if anything was not right.

I seem to recall that Tony's wife, Cherie Blair refused to curtsey to the Queen as well...

cheers May 24th 2011 4:29 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
So Barb I think you said you don't get paid until the end of the month so you should be quite thin by then;)

Bored? I would be taking bus trips on the local buses to look see about the new neck of the woods. I know you have to keep the expenses down and all.

What is the cheap things to eat now? Fish and chips has gone way up so that leaves Indian, right?

(Is leaves spelt right? Is it spelt like the leaves on a tree?)

dgjamison May 24th 2011 4:31 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
:rofl:

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9384708)
Maybe it's just a sign of the times? Old fashioned to some people maybe, I just read that Cherie Blair (wife of ex PM Tony) refused point blank to curtsey or bow to The Queen, off with her head I say!!!!! :D

:rofl::rofl:

cheers May 24th 2011 4:32 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 9384730)
I seem to recall that Tony's wife, Cherie Blair refused to curtsey to the Queen as well...

Who does she, Cherie, think she is? If she doesn't like to show respect maybe she should go and live in Afghanistan.

dgjamison May 24th 2011 4:38 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 9384730)
I seem to recall that Tony's wife, Cherie Blair refused to curtsey to the Queen as well...

I find that so disrespectful, and to be honest a bit ignorant, but I am old fashioned:lol:

jasper123 May 24th 2011 4:40 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9384704)
Well that would be nice eh? I think Shropshire is not THAT far from here, but maybe out of my driving boundaries!! But I do love train trips, maybe Jackie and Peigi and DDL and Rosie and David and and and could join us? What do you think of that? I think Shropshire is pretty much in the middle...............good plan or what old bean??? :thumbsup:

Barb yes indeed wouldn't that be lovely, the whole crowd of us who are home now could meet there and have a jolly good time, Ive talked to Don on the phone and he sounds like a 40 year old but hes 80 :) very nice man,
And yes indeed about Blairs wife --- off with her head I say, Hmmmmm such a nerve not bowing to the Queen.

Beedubya May 24th 2011 4:57 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9384753)
Who does she, Cherie, think she is? If she doesn't like to show respect maybe she should go and live in Afghanistan.

She's a Scouser, did you know that? Fancy letting our side down!! :frown: You probably also know who her dad is?

cheers May 24th 2011 5:11 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9384800)
She's a Scouser, did you know that? Fancy letting our side down!! :frown: You probably also know who her dad is?

Yes I knew she was a scouse.
She is also a judge.
Who is her dad?

Cheryl bowing. I hate to bring it up but there is the religion thing. I think she bowed to the Pope.

I did see that mansion. Thanks. I see they have homes that are going to be available to rent in the estate. No price yet.

Beedubya May 24th 2011 5:16 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9384746)
So Barb I think you said you don't get paid until the end of the month so you should be quite thin by then;)

Bored? I would be taking bus trips on the local buses to look see about the new neck of the woods. I know you have to keep the expenses down and all.

What is the cheap things to eat now? Fish and chips has gone way up so that leaves Indian, right?

(Is leaves spelt right? Is it spelt like the leaves on a tree?)

Well I have been out quite a bit Cheers, but I am the kind of person who actually LIKES going to work, that may be a bit old fashioned too LOL!!

I NEED mental stimulation and being kept busy, now see my sister (the other one) I was talking to her this morning and she hates going to work, she just likes to potter around all day, different courses for different horses......

Bus fares ain't really that cheap here you know and train fares are pretty damn expensive though I might get up to Wigan one day this week to see a friend who lives there.

Now as for cheap eats, I think you must be talking about takeaways? Well to be honest I don't really eat that kind of food very often, I DO LOVE my fish, chips and mushy peas I must say but I am not that keen on very spicy food so I only eat a few Indian dishes and I find the takeaway Chinese/Thai here not as good as Australia. :o Did I really just say that!!

However supermarkets here are pretty cheap compared to Australia, my locals are a Tesco Express, which is only little and a Lidl which is as cheap as chips (Aussie saying :lol:) OK I will give you some prices from the past few days, but you REALLY have to shop around here as prices vary greatly.

LIDL

2 bottles of wine £7.00 :lol:
Bananas 68p per kilo
Potatoes 2.5kg £1.19
Packed of dried split peas 35p

B & M

Anadin extra 99p
John West Beef Pate 85g 29p

MACCLESFIELD MARKET

I bought 4 carrots, a swede, 3 onions, 3 trays of raspberries, 6 tomatoes £3.50

A lovely ham shank £2.50

As you can see by the above ingredients I now have simmering on the stove a pan of pea and ham soup just like your mother used to make it. :thumbsup:

THIN? I wish....................:o

Beedubya May 24th 2011 5:17 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9384767)
Barb yes indeed wouldn't that be lovely, the whole crowd of us who are home now could meet there and have a jolly good time, Ive talked to Don on the phone and he sounds like a 40 year old but hes 80 :) very nice man,
And yes indeed about Blairs wife --- off with her head I say, Hmmmmm such a nerve not bowing to the Queen.

Well you better start organising it now you are retired and have all that time on your hands. :thumbsup:

Beedubya May 24th 2011 5:19 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9384832)
Yes I knew she was a scouse.
She is also a judge.
Who is her dad?

Cheryl bowing. I hate to bring it up but there is the religion thing. I think she bowed to the Pope.

I did see that mansion. Thanks. I see they have homes that are going to be available to rent in the estate. No price yet.

He is off that show with Alf Garnett, his name is Tony Booth, ooooh can't remember the show's name now, Alf used to call his wife a silly old moo and his son in law a Scouse git............

Yes I passed those workers cottagers and very nice indeed they were too, I have heard you can rent from the National Trust and also from some houses that HRH Charlie owns........must look into that and I WILL curtsey though probably not to Camilla. :sneaky:

oldbritgirl May 24th 2011 5:30 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9384672)
Oh that is soooo nice to hear that you 2 ladies will be meeting up. I think this may be a first???

I know Trottytrue and Denise meet for coffee's but they are still over there.....

I would love to meet up with one of our returnee's. :thumbsup:

I'm in Sale, almost 3 weeks here now, just moved into an apartment, caught a cold, cough on the plane home, just getting over it and actually just beginning to feel like my old self again, been a hard few months but hopefully it will all turn out well. Just waiting for my bus pass to arrive, then I'll be off exploring, let me know if you'd like to meet up somewhere.


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:55 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.