British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

sallysimmons May 5th 2011 1:59 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9343787)
Me Mums going to the library to vote tomorrow ---- Local council elections in England, ----- CANADIANS know theres an election in there country cause they live there, --- I wonder how many people knew that it was voting time in England.

I did! Sadly, they don't allow you to vote absentee if you've been gone longer than 15 years so I have to sit idly by and hope :D

sallysimmons May 5th 2011 2:00 am

Originally Posted by chriswinter (Post 9343961)
I have to admit...I surely did believe this was the real deal way back when...but as the years went by....:confused:

See this is how it starts! Someone sows the seeds (in this day and age, usually Fox News) and before you know it, otherwise sane people are seeing black helicopters!

Beedubya May 5th 2011 6:02 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9343515)
Well, it depends largely on whether you read the Sun or the NY Times.

- and as implied by a previous poster, neither extreme (believing everything, and believing nothing) is tenable.

All I was trying to say in a humorous way was that my interpretation of the situation was reiterated (after the fact) by a reputable newspaper.

I spend much of my career critically evaluating (and teaching others to do the same) the published word, so I'm not daft enough to think that everything that the papers say is true ... it's a case of weighing up the preponderance of the evidence and trying to be objective.

Anyone can be cynical and shoot holes in what is reported. It takes a little more nous to critically read and evaluate (and accept that we may be wrong) rather than discount everything that doesn't jibe with one's own opinion.

I do not read newspapers on the whole. And please do not imply any person from Liverpool would read The Sun. :unsure:

I wouldn't exactly call myself cynical or refer to myself as a conspiracy theorist but as I said before if something doesn't feel right it probably isn't.

Perhaps you recall the very widely reported "hidden Weapons of Mass Destruction" in Iraq, you know when the US invaded that country followed closely by the UK, Australia et al. it was in all the newspapers, yes even the reputable ones, on every TV channel, etc., that was in 2003, now all these years later after many civilians and military personnel have lost their lives, we find out what?

There weren't any Weapons of Mass Destruction...........

Believe everything I read?

I think not.

I believe what I choose to believe, just as you do.

chriswinter May 5th 2011 6:36 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9344071)
See this is how it starts! Someone sows the seeds (in this day and age, usually Fox News) and before you know it, otherwise sane people are seeing black helicopters!

Sally....all tongue-in-cheek!! :lol:

BTW...did I ever tell you ..... I see dead people!! :rofl::p

Just kidding around..is all. I read lot's of stuff and I certainly don't take everything at face value. I read this, that, here, there, right, left and mix it all with a few scrapings from my own brain cells...and wah-lah...form my own opinions. I believe Time usually outs the truth, one way or another.
And I'm all for space-travel, is why I was deeply interested in the moon landing...as I am a great Syfy fan and of documentaries on space and beyond! Once upon a time, when young...I wanted to be an astronomer.

OK! Now when is the price of gas and food coming down?!? And since the 2 supposed greatest threats to world peace on this planet have now been erased...can we please bring home the troops from Iraq and Afghanistan?

One now has to wonder if Bin Laden is now room-mates with SpongeBob and/or working for Mr. Crabby. :confused:

islandwoman120 May 5th 2011 6:44 am

[quote=jasper123;9343772]Well I certainly believe in Aliens --- I used to be one myself ---- they called me a Resident Alien,
There Rodney - I even made the lettering green for your Green Card! By the way, I have my grandfathers original Green Card, and they really were green in colour. Rosie - an ex-Resident Alien.:rofl:

bandrui May 5th 2011 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 (Post 9342379)
I found out that Harper's crew got re-elected from the thread on BBC World
on the bottom of picture.

:rofl: That's about it!

Those nasty things? Well today, 2 days after the election they are saying that they are scrapping the long gun registry, implementing stiffer sentences for criminals and planning to build more prisons. Bunch of cowboys. This is why they are so well-liked in Alberta. :lol: I think I'd better duck. :sneaky:

When I emailed an old Enlgish friend of mine in Kelowna that I was planning on going back to the UK, he said that he felt that Canada was becoming more and more of a police state. I've seen lots of signs of this.

bandrui May 5th 2011 7:51 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9343515)
Well, it depends largely on whether you read the Sun or the NY Times.

- and as implied by a previous poster, neither extreme (believing everything, and believing nothing) is tenable.

All I was trying to say in a humorous way was that my interpretation of the situation was reiterated (after the fact) by a reputable newspaper.

I spend much of my career critically evaluating (and teaching others to do the same) the published word, so I'm not daft enough to think that everything that the papers say is true ... it's a case of weighing up the preponderance of the evidence and trying to be objective.

Anyone can be cynical and shoot holes in what is reported. It takes a little more nous to critically read and evaluate (and accept that we may be wrong) rather than discount everything that doesn't jibe with one's own opinion.

The problem with critical evaluation and academia as a whole is that it ignores an important source of information... our intuition.

bandrui May 5th 2011 7:53 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9342912)
But it's a bit like the birth certificate issue - for some people no amount of proof will be enough.

No... any proof will do.

bandrui May 5th 2011 8:07 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9343529)
Well said. I'm a news junkie and know way too much for my own good about politics in both America and Britain. Nothing is more frustrating than people who either believe everything they're told or disbelieve everything they're told. It's simply lazy when there are so many sources of information available.

But this is what I mean. Produce a newspaper article and someone will say 'oh so you believe whatever you read in the paper.' Explain your reasoning and people will say 'well,everyone is entitled to their opinion' without offering similar reasoning for their viewpoint. Release a photo and someone will say it was doctored. Release video and people will claim it's fake. There is quite literally no proof that will satisfy the doubters. That's why people still believe in UFOs and the Loch Ness Monster.

And now here in the US, Sarah Palin has begun to try and perpetuate these doubts - which really tells you all you need to know.

Sally, this is an extreme reaction.

Newspapers generally relate the views of their ownership as many good journalists know to their chagrin.
It's not a matter of believing or not believing everything. Some things have a ring of truth and some don't as history of the news media will support.

I am not a fan of Sarah Palin but that, nor anything I have heard here, changes my opinion of this. There are some good sources of information but they are few and far between and not many dailys are among them. I can't see any relationship of this to UFOs or the Loch Ness Monster :confused:. Or is it an all or nothing idea? :confused:

My sense.. and I will be happy to be wrong on this... is that this will be used to justify a heavy US (or ally) presence in Pakistan.

bandrui May 5th 2011 8:11 am

I was talking about the BBC TV World News.

islandwoman120 May 5th 2011 8:23 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9344473)
I was talking about the BBC TV World News.

I'll catch up on this later today - I am off to vote - in my own set of UK elections. Later!

bandrui May 5th 2011 8:28 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9344070)
I did! Sadly, they don't allow you to vote absentee if you've been gone longer than 15 years so I have to sit idly by and hope :D

Sally, my understanding from when I looked into this was that you can vote absentee if at some point you were registered to vote in the UK. On the application you give the name of the place where you were registered to vote.

dunroving May 5th 2011 11:55 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9344444)
The problem with critical evaluation and academia as a whole is that it ignores an important source of information... our intuition.

That is so not true about many academics - what about phenomenology, ethnography, grounded theory, etc., etc.? Even within the positivistic paradigm, intuition is a crucially important part of a researcher's skills and abilities. It's probably true that the discoveries of the best scientists (take Einstein, for example) were derived primarily due to their intuition.

Only if you view academia/research through a very narrow ontological prism would your statement be true. Positivism is only one of a variety of epistemological perspectives on "science".

windsong May 5th 2011 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9344325)
I do not read newspapers on the whole. And please do not imply any person from Liverpool would read The Sun. :unsure:

I wouldn't exactly call myself cynical or refer to myself as a conspiracy theorist but as I said before if something doesn't feel right it probably isn't.

Perhaps you recall the very widely reported "hidden Weapons of Mass Destruction" in Iraq, you know when the US invaded that country followed closely by the UK, Australia et al. it was in all the newspapers, yes even the reputable ones, on every TV channel, etc., that was in 2003, now all these years later after many civilians and military personnel have lost their lives, we find out what?

There weren't any Weapons of Mass Destruction...........

Believe everything I read?

I think not.

I believe what I choose to believe, just as you do.

EXACTLY!!

windsong May 5th 2011 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9344819)
That is so not true about many academics - what about phenomenology, ethnography, grounded theory, etc., etc.? Even within the positivistic paradigm, intuition is a crucially important part of a researcher's skills and abilities. It's probably true that the discoveries of the best scientists (take Einstein, for example) were derived primarily due to their intuition.

Only if you view academia/research through a very narrow ontological prism would your statement be true. Positivism is only one of a variety of epistemological perspectives on "science".

Is this written in English so the average person can understand it or is it written to mystify :rofl::rofl:

dunroving May 5th 2011 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9345085)
Is this written in English so the average person can understand it or is it written to mystify :rofl::rofl:

Have you tried Wikipedia or Google?

Mystification is more often a self-induced state of the intellectually indolent, rather than something imposed by others. The social norm is becoming hours spent jabbering on social networks about one's opinion, rather than to crack open a book (or actively use online resources) and challenge one's understanding of the world.

Having said that, the Idiot's Guide is:

Essentially, people have a misperception that science/research has only one way of looking at things (one paradigm - positivism, or the Scientific Method) and that there is no place for human perception, opinion, or the possibility of different realities/truths.

We don't all just plug the data into a computer and blindly assume that what comes out the other end is the only answer or the correct answer. And most good researchers consider the possibilty that they may be wrong or their data may be pointing in the wrong direction.

In other words, most academics are a lot more open-minded than was implied in the post I responded to. In fact, the sweeping generalization about academics was itself pretty ironic, if you think about it.

windsong May 5th 2011 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9345136)
Have you tried Wikipedia or Google?

Mystification is more often a self-induced state of the intellectually indolent, rather than something imposed by others. The social norm is becoming hours spent jabbering on social networks about one's opinion, rather than to crack open a book (or actively use online resources) and challenge one's understanding of the world.

Having said that, the Idiot's Guide is:

Essentially, people have a misperception that science/research has only one way of looking at things (one paradigm - positivism, or the Scientific Method) and that there is no place for human perception, opinion, or the possibility of different realities/truths.

We don't all just plug the data into a computer and blindly assume that what comes out the other end is the only answer or the correct answer. And most good researchers consider the possibilty that they may be wrong or their data may be pointing in the wrong direction.

In other words, most academics are a lot more open-minded than was implied in the post I responded to. In fact, the sweeping generalization about academics was itself pretty ironic, if you think about it.

Baffle them with science :rofl::rofl:

sallysimmons May 5th 2011 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9345136)

But probably based on intuition :lol:

cheers May 5th 2011 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9344490)
I'll catch up on this later today - I am off to vote - in my own set of UK elections. Later!

Let us know if you get elected.;)

islandwoman120 May 5th 2011 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9345369)
Let us know if you get elected.;)

I will indeed. Then there will be (in no particular order of importance): no swearing in public; no smoking anywhere; no pubs will be allowed to serve alcohol; no dogs allowed in town; no litter anywhere; and, as one fellow citizen, at least 20 years my junior stated: bring back a state of grace and allow the Queen to lead this return to good manners and decency. Amen to that.;)

cheers May 5th 2011 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9345507)
I will indeed. Then there will be (in no particular order of importance): no swearing in public; no smoking anywhere; no pubs will be allowed to serve alcohol; no dogs allowed in town; no litter anywhere; and, as one fellow citizen, at least 20 years my junior stated: bring back a state of grace and allow the Queen to lead this return to good manners and decency. Amen to that.;)

YAY!

sallysimmons May 5th 2011 5:58 pm

no pubs will be allowed to serve alcohol

:eek: You just totally lost my vote! :rofl:

Mummy in the foothills May 5th 2011 6:10 pm

:eek:

Beedubya May 5th 2011 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9345521)
:eek: You just totally lost my vote! :rofl:

Mine too! Boo hiss!! :p

dunroving May 5th 2011 6:40 pm

No dogs? No alcohol? No vote!

(But your other ideas are good). ;)

Pistolpete2 May 5th 2011 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9345575)

Tax revenue from tobacco sales in the UK in 2009-2010 was just over 10 billion. Chancellors love it but pretend they hate it.

Unquestionably though it ends up being an additional drain on the NHS, plus the wider economy.

windsong May 5th 2011 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9345514)
YAY!

What no alcohol in pubs??? Got to have that English pub! The ones in the country that look like your living room :)

PS - I forgot about the dogs!!! Got to have my doggies and the English pub for Saturday lunches!!!

Beedubya May 5th 2011 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 (Post 9345584)
Tax revenue from tobacco sales in the UK in 2009-2010 was just over 10 billion. Chancellors love it but pretend they hate it.

Unquestionably though it ends up being an additional drain on the NHS, plus the wider economy.

I disagree, the duty from cigarettes more than pays for any "drain on the NHS."

If it such a drain why don't they ban them completely?

windsong May 5th 2011 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9345644)

Absolutely! You don't see cigarettes being banned anywhere. They know full well what they are doing.

Pistolpete2 May 5th 2011 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9345644)

Who said it didn't, but it's still a cost to the NHS - which is what I said.

I thought I said Chancellors LOVE IT. They can't ban sales as they would not be able to find the billions anywhere else.

Then windsong agrees with you!

I give up!

Bye!

jasper123 May 5th 2011 7:59 pm

Swearing/dogs/litter ----- YEP I will go along with all of that ---- but not the rest of it, can I just vote for a few things or do I have to do the whole 9 yards or nothing at all? anyway good luck :D

sallysimmons May 5th 2011 8:04 pm

Especially in the UK :rofl:

jasper123 May 5th 2011 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by chriswinter (Post 9343961)
Whoa! Hang on there pardner...are you telling me that Elvis is actually dead? I could have swore to all the Gods & Goddesses that I saw him in a HEB grocery store parking lot in Houston a few years back. I think he was incognito.. He had on a cowboy hat, sunglasses, walking shorts and cowboy boots:eek:...but! the hair was a dead giveaway!!

Your friend's mum wasn't the only one. My dear departed hubby was another 'believer' that the US moon landing was a fakery. He believed that from the day we watched that event on TV, way back when...right up to the end. I have to admit...I surely did believe this was the real deal way back when...but as the years went by....:confused:

And l'm still an Alien! :eek: masquerading as an American! :lol:
Na-noo-na-noo...

Anyone can fake anything, ---- look what Orsen Wells did in the 40's --- he made that very believable radio program and made it so real that most of the population of America at the time thought that the end of the world was actually happening right there and then.

chriswinter May 5th 2011 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9345729)
Anyone can fake anything, ---- look what Orsen Wells did in the 40's --- he made that very believable radio program and made it so real that most of the population of America at the time thought that the end of the world was actually happening right there and then.

YES! War of the Worlds! One of my all-time favorite movies...the original (back in the 50's) and the remake with Tom Cruise.
Alas...I'm also a tremendous disaster movie fan-freak :eek:....love'em, can't get enough of 'em.

And yes, one can do about anything with photos these days. Just look how svelte they can make Oprah on the front of her O! mag :ohmy:. In fact, my youngest son is quite the graphics designer. Remember we had that giant blizzard this past winter in Chicago. The very next morning Sonny Boy was out, walking about in all that snow with his girlfriend and my eldest grandson. He took some great black & white pics...with the photo-thingy stuff software he has...he made those pics look like the Star Wars movie...The Empire Strikes Back...with Snow Walkers and all. Honestly you have to look real close to see they are fake, but then I already knew of course they were. Someone else may not notice so easily. Ahhhhh....technology!

Chris

windsong May 5th 2011 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 (Post 9345707)

I thought I said Chancellors LOVE IT. They can't ban sales as they would not be able to find the billions anywhere else.

I give up!

Bye!

Ha ha ha!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Come back, Peter. We need you!!!

jasper123 May 5th 2011 8:46 pm

[QUOTE=cheers;9344051]

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9343787)
Me Mums going to the library to vote tomorrow ---- Local council elections in England, ----- /QUOTE]

Why aren't you going to vote? Just curious.

Well I think I have to be here a little longer before I can vote, not sure, I have to register first, plus think about it cheers Ive been away for a very long time so I dont know anything about these local council people in my town yet do I, but I will definitely vote next time, and of course in the general election.

jasper123 May 5th 2011 8:55 pm

[QUOTE=islandwoman120;9344376]

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9343772)
Well I certainly believe in Aliens --- I used to be one myself ---- they called me a Resident Alien,
There Rodney - I even made the lettering green for your Green Card! By the way, I have my grandfathers original Green Card, and they really were green in colour. Rosie - an ex-Resident Alien.:rofl:

Yes Rosie I heard way before my 36 years in U.S. the green card WAS actually green,

jasper123 May 5th 2011 9:12 pm

I give up!

Bye!

Pete I understood your post and you made a good point on the billions that are made from taxes on cigarettes so cigarettes will never be banned or indeed alcohol, ---- but at the same time of course its a drain on the NHS, Barb that was just a fact that Pete was just sayin :ohmy:
Hey pete come on back :huh:

islandwoman120 May 5th 2011 9:12 pm

No dogs because of dog poo on the pavements all over the town; and I live next to a pub now, so Thursday - Sunday nights are awful - it's a Karaoke pub, good fun, lots of noise + the smokers have to sit outside now = 1am bedtime for me all those nights. :frown:

Beedubya May 5th 2011 9:27 pm

I give up!

Bye!

Exactly the BILLIONS would not come from anywhere else other than the smokers who are not only PROPPING up the NHS, rather they are paying over the odds for it.............