British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

dontheturner Mar 5th 2013 5:25 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by Bevm (Post 10584597)
We've had them in all three houses in England, but they're special ones for shavers. They don't take a regular plug. Not sure if hairdryers come with special plugs as I don't use one.

The Canadian ones were just regular plugs but with GFIs, so safe. A lot of down sides in the UK are from excessive attempts to eliminate every risk.

Bev

There are shaver sockets, for both 230 volt and 115 volt, in all bathrooms, of the houses in this area., But the law change came about, due to excessively cold winters, and stupid folks, taking electric fires into the bathrooms, and balancing them on the side or head of the bath, and several people being electrocuted when they accidentally fell into the water. I am sure many will remember those times. Safety first.

fulwood Mar 5th 2013 6:26 pm

I use Hola.org to watch British telly. BBC is what I watch most now as ITV with its pay format is a bloody nuisance. Some folks tried Hola before but it does occasionally go down while they fix issues. I have NEVER had any issue with hola. Last night I watched Spiral a French series I love. IF you decide to try Hola not compatible yet with Windows 8 but it is compatible with Chrome for example. I'm a google person myself.

windsong Mar 5th 2013 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 10585523)
I use Hola.org to watch British telly. BBC is what I watch most now as ITV with its pay format is a bloody nuisance. Some folks tried Hola before but it does occasionally go down while they fix issues. I have NEVER had any issue with hola. Last night I watched Spiral a French series I love. IF you decide to try Hola not compatible yet with Windows 8 but it is compatible with Chrome for example. I'm a google person myself.

I use Hola all the time, although I am not quite sure what it is unlocking for me as I have always been able to watch BBC iPlayer.

It's supposed to unlock Hulu, Netflix and Pandora, too, but you still need subscriptions so it doesn't make much difference - unless I am missing the boat.

Even so, I keep Hola on all the time.

windsong Mar 5th 2013 9:17 pm

For all my software and Internet capability, I am not to "up" on Internet domain naming outside of the USA. Does anyone know if a British company HAS to have a domain ending in co.uk?

rebs Mar 6th 2013 5:57 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10585942)
For all my software and Internet capability, I am not to "up" on Internet domain naming outside of the USA. Does anyone know if a British company HAS to have a domain ending in co.uk?

No they don't - they can be .com as well, or .org, .gov etc...

mikelincs Mar 6th 2013 6:19 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10585942)

No, any company in the world can have a .co.uk domain ending, so don't assume that, beause of the domain name it's a UK company, and UK companies can have a .com ending.

windsong Mar 6th 2013 10:52 am

Thank you! So it would appear then that choosing co.uk would be similar to choosing .com, .net, .biz, .info, etc., and that it is merely another choice to add to the list. That's terrific!

Bevm Mar 6th 2013 11:56 am

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 10585377)
There are shaver sockets, for both 230 volt and 115 volt, in all bathrooms, of the houses in this area., But the law change came about, due to excessively cold winters, and stupid folks, taking electric fires into the bathrooms, and balancing them on the side or head of the bath, and several people being electrocuted when they accidentally fell into the water. I am sure many will remember those times. Safety first.

Yes, but the GFIs solve that, so it's more a matter of catching up with the times IMO,

Bev

dontheturner Mar 6th 2013 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Bevm (Post 10586955)
Yes, but the GFIs solve that, so it's more a matter of catching up with the times IMO,

Bev

Keep your voice down - or this Con/Dem shower, will make it compulsory, when there is no need to.......

J.JsOH Mar 6th 2013 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10581579)
Has anyone had reverse culture shock when arriving back in the UK? I was thinking about this today with regard to the differences in the homes. Here in the USA most of us are used to pretty up-to-date kitchens, bathrooms, etc. and larger homes overall. Of course, I am unemployed at the moment and just "winging it" but nevertheless, my home is quite nice. I am anticipating when I return to the UK I will have a real shock in that I might feel claustrophobic in the small rooms in the houses there, perhaps kitchens not as modern as in the USA, etc. Of course, this might be merely my imagination but I thought I would ask if anyone has had a shock like this upon arrival in the UK or perhaps have had to lower their living standards.

I know the benefits of living in the beautiful UK outweigh all of these things but, nevertheless, it is still a mindset change that has to be made, I think.

I think I am haunted by the memory of when I visited Somerset 15 years ago and we stayed an extra day. My father wanted us to stay somewhere closer to him so we booked a room in a pub - a nice pub, too. However when we got up to the room with bathroom down the hall, we had a shock!!! The beds were old, sunken in the middle, etc. We ended up checking out and drove an hour back to the hotel where we had stayed the previous few nights. Maybe we just had a bad experience or perhaps we were too used to decent living in the USA. I don't know :(

I think I worry too much sometimes. After all, when I find a place to live, I can make it the way I want it - as finances dictate, of course.

Hotels and such are much more standardized in US. The chains are here in UK too but if you stay at an independent or B&B or a pub then standards and quality vary enormously. I've had good and I've had really bad independent rooms here in UK. Try http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels to see reviews by other guests.

J.JsOH Mar 6th 2013 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10581574)
Can anyone tell me the price of "good" pet food (dog and cat) in the UK? My pets eat Merricks human grade wet food (dog version $2.60 a can and cat version $1.40 a can in the USA). They also eat Royal Canin dried dog food and Natural Balance dried cat food. I wonder if these brands are available over there and at what price.

Royal Canin and natural balance are available in UK. Supermarkets sell pet food, as do independent stores and then there are the pet supermarkets http://www.petplanet.co.uk/search_ad...lance-Dog-Food and
http://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/Pro...d-pouches-100g

windsong Mar 6th 2013 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 10587212)
Royal Canin and natural balance are available in UK. Supermarkets sell pet food, as do independent stores and then there are the pet supermarkets http://www.petplanet.co.uk/search_ad...lance-Dog-Food and
http://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/Pro...d-pouches-100g

Thank you very much. I have noted these two sites. :)

happyglow Mar 6th 2013 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Bevm (Post 10584597)
We've had them in all three houses in England, but they're special ones for shavers. They don't take a regular plug. Not sure if hairdryers come with special plugs as I don't use one.

The Canadian ones were just regular plugs but with GFIs, so safe. A lot of down sides in the UK are from excessive attempts to eliminate every risk.

Bev

Ah yes: "Don't fix stupid, fix the world". Ooh, I'll just balance this electric fire on the edge of the bath, and after that I'll have seventeen beers and go for a drive. What could possibly go wrong? :confused:

curleytops Mar 6th 2013 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 10582784)
If you have crappy plumbing, take out a maintenance contract with British Gas, and they will fix for free.

Sorry Don, I guess I didn't word that quite right, it's not maintenance I've got a problem with (dh is a plumber so it's covered anyway) its just everywhere here seems to have poor water pressure and the hot/cold doesn't mix the way it does in North America. Not the end of the world, I just live with it but it would be nice to have my old shower stall from Dad's place in Canada. Come to think of it, I miss the forced air heating as well.

Thanks anyway for the info re BG, will have to keep them in mind in case dh ever goes on strike :rofl:

Derrygal Mar 6th 2013 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10587570)
Sorry Don, I guess I didn't word that quite right, it's not maintenance I've got a problem with (dh is a plumber so it's covered anyway) its just everywhere here seems to have poor water pressure and the hot/cold doesn't mix the way it does in North America. Not the end of the world, I just live with it but it would be nice to have my old shower stall from Dad's place in Canada. Come to think of it, I miss the forced air heating as well.Thanks anyway for the info re BG, will have to keep them in mind in case dh ever goes on strike :rofl:

I don't like the forced air heating here - I find it too drying. I actually had an April Aire humidifier attached to my furnace a few years ago as the dry air was really affecting my sinuses and I was getting nose bleeds. It's better than it was - but still very dry. I actually miss radiators - but you really only see them in very old homes in the US (very useful for drying clothes too).