British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Mummy in the foothills Mar 7th 2013 12:09 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10587570)
Sorry Don, I guess I didn't word that quite right, it's not maintenance I've got a problem with (dh is a plumber so it's covered anyway) its just everywhere here seems to have poor water pressure and the hot/cold doesn't mix the way it does in North America. Not the end of the world, I just live with it but it would be nice to have my old shower stall from Dad's place in Canada. Come to think of it, I miss the forced air heating as well.

Thanks anyway for the info re BG, will have to keep them in mind in case dh ever goes on strike :rofl:

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 10588268)
I don't like the forced air heating here - I find it too drying. I actually had an April Aire humidifier attached to my furnace a few years ago as the dry air was really affecting my sinuses and I was getting nose bleeds. It's better than it was - but still very dry. I actually miss radiators - but you really only see them in very old homes in the US (very useful for drying clothes too).

I won't miss forced air heat, it's so flippin inefficient I can't wait for radiators. I have found shower stalls seem to small in UK I'm used to the big showers here, I banged my head a few times, trying to shave my legs and when I dropped the soap in UK how do you do it? Hang your leg out and drip all over the floor or what?

happyglow Mar 7th 2013 1:27 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10588490)
I won't miss forced air heat, it's so flippin inefficient I can't wait for radiators. I have found shower stalls seem to small in UK I'm used to the big showers here, I banged my head a few times, trying to shave my legs and when I dropped the soap in UK how do you do it? Hang your leg out and drip all over the floor or what?

:amen::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

bruised elbows r us! And yeah, I dislike the hot air blowers too, they seem to find fluff, multiply it and spread it everywhere. Nasty.

trottytrue Mar 7th 2013 2:19 am

I use Ex-Pat Shield and it works find. You just cant have it on all the time or you dont get your emails. Well I dont. But it does work.

Does anyone remember the new rules for collecting your UK pension and combining it with your US. I worked in the UK but do not get the full pension and as I did not work full time in the US dont have enough credits for a US pension. I read somewhere that you could combine the two. I know the UK just lowered the amount of credits needed for a UK pension I think its down to 30 is that correct.

I forgot about not having a plug in the bathroom for drying your hair. Good heavens I would have to have a long extension to use my hairdryer in the bathroom.

Charleygirl is fine she had to delay her trip to the US because of family illness but she will be here around the 20th March.

Celtic....Your life is just starting look forward to a new beginning and start planning whatever you want to do. We all make mistakes but its how we move on that matters. Cheer up such a lot to look forward to.:)

Jasper123...Hows your Mum doing. Have you joined anything yet. I was told to join a gym.....

dontheturner Mar 7th 2013 7:14 am

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10587570)
Sorry Don, I guess I didn't word that quite right, it's not maintenance I've got a problem with (dh is a plumber so it's covered anyway) its just everywhere here seems to have poor water pressure and the hot/cold doesn't mix the way it does in North America. Not the end of the world, I just live with it but it would be nice to have my old shower stall from Dad's place in Canada. Come to think of it, I miss the forced air heating as well.

Thanks anyway for the info re BG, will have to keep them in mind in case dh ever goes on strike :rofl:

Sorry to hear about water pressure - you just ring the water company, and a guy comes out, checks it, then ups it, should it be below the regulation. unless of course, you are way out in the sticks, when you might be on a borehole supply. BG, not only supply gas, they also supply Elec, so do have a full maintenance service - which includes sewers and drains, and do remember, unless your other half has the necessary quals, it is illegal to fix electric wiring yourself.

dontheturner Mar 7th 2013 7:15 am

Just ring, and we'll come and pick it up for you.

aries Mar 7th 2013 7:33 am

Showers over the bath are worse, I've seen that they even have them in retirement flats for elderly people.

I've had my own bathroom gutted and made into a shower room, so the shower alcove is now 5ft 4ins long. Nice to walk into a doorless alcove, decide where to go, and catch a taxi to the water end!! :thumbsup:

between two worlds Mar 7th 2013 7:46 am

Showers over the bath are common, and not as good as a separate shower stall-- but I'd rather have shower over the bath than just a shower stall and no bath at all! We've been looking at some properties (flats mostly) and many are done up to the nines, bathrooms and kitchens all new and modern, BUT in some renovations they get rid of the bath and have ONLY a shower.....this for me rules out the property completely. I like showers but I NEED a bath, every night!!! That's the English in me, growing up without a shower at all, and often in the bath was the only time one felt really warm!!! So now it's a habit and I need to relax in hot water with a book. I can't believe that some people think it's better to have only a shower, even if trying to sell their place...

black swan Mar 7th 2013 9:11 am

My daughter, who lives in Adelaide, Australia has been watching 'The young & the Restless' for 25yrs. Then they decided to air it only on Cable TV . She is now unable to afford cable tv & is wondering if there is any way she can receive it. It is an American series.

Aries. I know you lived many years in Adelaide . . . so did I. We are now in living in Perth,WA. I have just come back from Adelaide. The weather was very hot.
Pauline

Bevm Mar 7th 2013 12:08 pm

[QUOTE=aries;10588933]Showers over the bath are worse, QUOTE]

Okay, here's my grouch, since we seem to be collecting them. Showers over the bath without an adequate surround! People have half doors. Why not a full one? I don't mind a shower curtain as long as it completely blocks whatever open space there is, but I've seen free standing baths with showers and no curtain at all!

That said, I like a separate shower stall and we have two here -- had one installed. Both are big enough. Also, the water pressure is great and the shower thermostats work well, so showering is a pleasure.

Bev

Mallory Mar 7th 2013 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by aries (Post 10588933)
Showers over the bath are worse, I've seen that they even have them in retirement flats for elderly people.

I've had my own bathroom gutted and made into a shower room, so the shower alcove is now 5ft 4ins long. Nice to walk into a doorless alcove, decide where to go, and catch a taxi to the water end!! :thumbsup:

I prefer showers over the bath. You can take a bubble bath, shampoo your hair, and then stand up and rinse with the shower. Also better for shaving of legs.

We have a Jacuzzzi in our master bath, but it's a pain in the neck. I would like to take it out and put in a soaker tub, but that would entail retiling the whole bathroom. We are never satisfied eh? :lol:

WhoFan63 Mar 7th 2013 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 10589629)
I prefer showers over the bath. You can take a bubble bath, shampoo your hair, and then stand up and rinse with the shower. Also better for shaving of legs.

We have a Jacuzzzi in our master bath, but it's a pain in the neck. I would like to take it out and put in a soaker tub, but that would entail retiling the whole bathroom. We are never satisfied eh? :lol:

I too like a shower over the bath for the same reason. :) I'll be glad to get back to the UK soon, just so I can have a nice relaxing soak for the first time in years. It's just too hot here in Arizona, and where I am, not cold enough in Winter for a bath. :(

aries Mar 7th 2013 2:52 pm

I don't now have a shower curtain either, they are awful clingy things.

I have a glass panel 42" long and then an open doorway. The only thing I don't like about trays is that they seem to become very slippery after using hair conditioner. Could be mine to blame, I don't know, so I've needed to put down two shower mats. I didn't need these with my tiled shower in Adelaide.

Does anyone else have this problem using a tray?

Mummy in the foothills Mar 7th 2013 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 10588918)
Just ring, and we'll come and pick it up for you.

:thumbsup::lol:

Mummy in the foothills Mar 7th 2013 3:15 pm

I haven't had a bath in many years. Showers only for us.
We were planning to rip out the huge deep tub with the shower over when we get to UK, Shorty me can't even climb in without sitting on the cold porcelain it's so deep. filling it for a bath would cost a fortune, Dd nearly broke her neck in it when she was 4, it's nice and shiny, she stood up for me to get her out and went flying off to the other end so a pretty dangerous one. So we plan a nice large shower in it's place, easier for us when we age too, big enough for a shower chair if needed, and no banged head when leg shaving :lol:

Mummy in the foothills Mar 7th 2013 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by aries (Post 10589767)
I don't now have a shower curtain either, they are awful clingy things.

I have a glass panel 42" long and then an open doorway. The only thing I don't like about trays is that they seem to become very slippery after using hair conditioner. Could be mine to blame, I don't know, so I've needed to put down two shower mats. I didn't need these with my tiled shower in Adelaide.

Does anyone else have this problem using a tray?

My tray in the US gets slippy from conditioner too, it's made of Fiberglass, I just make sure to stand still and make sure it's rinsed well, Dd was sliding about last night after I conditioned her hair, I must remind her not too she will break somthing, probably herself.