British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

windsong Feb 28th 2013 3:11 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10575469)
Depending on how old you are now, 65 may not be your UK retirement age. At 55 I will be officially recognised as a UK pensioner at 66. Check that calculator. In the US it appears I will have to be 67 to get my full SS and even medicare :frown:

I am 60 so I think in the USA I could claim SS at 62. I think it is the same in the UK for me but I need to check.

I am surprised that for you it is five years later because you are only a year or two younger than me. They must have changed the rules.

dunroving Feb 28th 2013 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10575518)
I am 60 so I think in the USA I could claim SS at 62. I think it is the same in the UK for me but I need to check.

I am surprised that for you it is five years later because you are only a year or two younger than me. They must have changed the rules.

You can claim from 62 but if I recall correctly, the default normal retirement age is later (I think it's 66 for the mid-50's folks). If you elect to take it at 62, you will receive a reduced amount. We had this discussion on the UK/US pension thread.

Perth Feb 28th 2013 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10575518)

At 60, depending on when you birthday is, you can claim your UK pension between 62 and 63. I am actually 5 years younger than you, hence my having to wait until 66.

As for the US, because I am only 55 I will come up against the new raised ages for social security and medicare. But I don't really care about medicare as I will be long gone by then. I could claim 1/2 my husband's social security at 62, as 1/2 of his will be more than 100% of mine. But it would be greatly reduced, so I plan to wait to claim the full amount at 67.

windsong Mar 1st 2013 1:49 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10576142)
You can claim from 62 but if I recall correctly, the default normal retirement age is later (I think it's 66 for the mid-50's folks). If you elect to take it at 62, you will receive a reduced amount. We had this discussion on the UK/US pension thread.

Oh yes!!! You are right. Now I remember. I am planning "formal" work until at least 65 anyway but it's nice to know roughly when you are eligible to claim SS if you want to :)

windsong Mar 1st 2013 1:50 am

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10576299)
At 60, depending on when you birthday is, you can claim your UK pension between 62 and 63. I am actually 5 years younger than you, hence my having to wait until 66.

As for the US, because I am only 55 I will come up against the new raised ages for social security and medicare. But I don't really care about medicare as I will be long gone by then. I could claim 1/2 my husband's social security at 62, as 1/2 of his will be more than 100% of mine. But it would be greatly reduced, so I plan to wait to claim the full amount at 67.

Thank you. This is good to know :)

cheers Mar 1st 2013 6:31 pm

So you know.

One Expat that didn't make it home.....

Lord Hambleden died at his home in Nevada on Thursday last week.

Never heard of him right?

I think he was connected to or was the owner of WHSmith.

scot47 Mar 1st 2013 6:33 pm

UK State Pension at the moment can be claimed from age 65. There are different rules for occupational pensions. In the USA you CAN claim SS pension from age 62 - at a lower rate.

happyglow Mar 1st 2013 10:47 pm

While scanning old documents to save space I came across two pensions I'd forgotten all about! Woohoo! The digestive biscuit, singular, is on me - that's about all they're worth :rofl:

feelbritish Mar 2nd 2013 9:47 pm

When this thread was the over 50's and 60's and returning it was focused more on those returning to retire or partly retire (or working from home) with information geared towards our advancing age ;)
It is great that this thread is so open and is also a chit chat page which I love to come to each day, but do you think we need to start a thread for purely those who are planning on coming home to retire?

After all we have different needs, different fears and need advice and guidance. There are so many here who have already retired who we could get some guidance from. There are those who, like myself, are researching retirement areas as a new chapter in our lives. There are those people on here who have researched the financial implications (tax issues, investments and NI benefits) and then the folks who have researched the "social implications" and the changing Britain. There are those people who are married to a non-EU spouse and wish to discuss the "savings" options on UKBA. All of us have questions and could help each other. Some folk have a wealth of knowledge to share. What do you think?

windsong Mar 2nd 2013 10:38 pm

I've been getting acquainted with the programs on the BBC iPlayer and I absolutely LOVE the following:

Call the Midwife
Death in Paradise
Holby City
Ripper Street
Prince of Persia (Film)

I watched these all in one week, sometimes more than one episode, too. I can't remember the last time I found so many programs to enjoy in one week! The BBC seems to have kept up its high quality program listings.

I also love Escape to the Country. Sometimes I can watch it without getting upset (homesick) but sometimes I can't.

windsong Mar 2nd 2013 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 10579658)
When this thread was the over 50's and 60's and returning it was focused more on those returning to retire or partly retire (or working from home) with information geared towards our advancing age ;)
It is great that this thread is so open and is also a chit chat page which I love to come to each day, but do you think we need to start a thread for purely those who are planning on coming home to retire?

After all we have different needs, different fears and need advice and guidance. There are so many here who have already retired who we could get some guidance from. There are those who, like myself, are researching retirement areas as a new chapter in our lives. There are those people on here who have researched the financial implications (tax issues, investments and NI benefits) and then the folks who have researched the "social implications" and the changing Britain. There are those people who are married to a non-EU spouse and wish to discuss the "savings" options on UKBA. All of us have questions and could help each other. Some folk have a wealth of knowledge to share. What do you think?

Yes, I think we need a thread like that. :fingerscrossed:

Karrie72 Mar 3rd 2013 12:22 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10579699)
I've been getting acquainted with the programs on the BBC iPlayer and I absolutely LOVE the following:

Call the Midwife
Death in Paradise
Holby City
Ripper Street
Prince of Persia (Film)

I watched these all in one week, sometimes more than one episode, too. I can't remember the last time I found so many programs to enjoy in one week! The BBC seems to have kept up its high quality program listings.

I also love Escape to the Country. Sometimes I can watch it without getting upset (homesick) but sometimes I can't.

I love Escape to the Country also, but the house prices make me gulp sometimes. If I had older children in the house I'm sure Id love those also. Country Files is another good one with great information about the counties rural areas.

windsong Mar 3rd 2013 12:37 am

Originally Posted by Montfan72 (Post 10579800)
I love Escape to the Country also, but the house prices make me gulp sometimes. If I had older children in the house I'm sure Id love those also. Country Files is another good one with great information about the counties rural areas.

I'll have a look for Country Files, too :D

fulwood Mar 3rd 2013 5:29 am

Windsong, also if you get chance watch Spiral, Junior Doctors, People Like Us. I can't say enough how excellent Spiral is. I rarely watch ITV anymore cos' of its new format. I watch Corrie on YouTube. Watching Mr. Selfridge which I think is overly dramatic but sort of like it..

mikelincs Mar 3rd 2013 6:27 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10579811)
I'll have a look for Country Files, too :D

It's Countryfile, just the one word, on, in the UK, every Sunday evening.