British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

dunroving Mar 3rd 2013 11:34 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 10580074)
It's Countryfile, just the one word, on, in the UK, every Sunday evening.

I enjoy it too, but I feel it's becoming a bit too Blue Peter-ish (Matt Baker: "Cor, can I have a go at driving that?")

I really like the presenter Adam though (he does the section caled "Adam's Farm"). He actually understands the country whereas a lot of these other presenters are (I think) hired for their good looks and trendy presenting style. Overall, though, it is a good program, I just wish the producers would remember it's watched primarily by adults, not 7-year-olds.

dunroving Mar 3rd 2013 11:45 am

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 10579658)
When this thread was the over 50's and 60's and returning it was focused more on those returning to retire or partly retire (or working from home) with information geared towards our advancing age ;)
It is great that this thread is so open and is also a chit chat page which I love to come to each day, but do you think we need to start a thread for purely those who are planning on coming home to retire?

After all we have different needs, different fears and need advice and guidance. There are so many here who have already retired who we could get some guidance from. There are those who, like myself, are researching retirement areas as a new chapter in our lives. There are those people on here who have researched the financial implications (tax issues, investments and NI benefits) and then the folks who have researched the "social implications" and the changing Britain. There are those people who are married to a non-EU spouse and wish to discuss the "savings" options on UKBA. All of us have questions and could help each other. Some folk have a wealth of knowledge to share. What do you think?

It was suggested a while back that we shoould have a separate forum on financial issues associated with MBTTUK, but I don't think there is enough action on that topic for it to have a separate forum (besides, it gets tedious having to bounce back and forth between too many forums).

However, I do think it would be very helpful to have a separate thread ("Money, money, money", maybe?) on retirement and pension and investment issues, as they can get lost in the middle of ths thread. Having started to systematicaly plan my own potential (early, or semi-) retirement, I have learned a lot just in the past couple of months but also have questions to ask and experiences to share.

windsong Mar 3rd 2013 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10580411)
It was suggested a while back that we shoould have a separate forum on financial issues associated with MBTTUK, but I don't think there is enough action on that topic for it to have a separate forum (besides, it gets tedious having to bounce back and forth between too many forums).

However, I do think it would be very helpful to have a separate thread ("Money, money, money", maybe?) on retirement and pension and investment issues, as they can get lost in the middle of ths thread. Having started to systematicaly plan my own potential (early, or semi-) retirement, I have learned a lot just in the past couple of months but also have questions to ask and experiences to share.

I think it's a great idea.

Derrygal Mar 3rd 2013 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10580411)

I see you've started the Money thread - good for you - it will be very helpful to a lot of people. :thumbsup:

Karrie72 Mar 4th 2013 1:07 am

Thanks Dunroving, what a great idea. I'm sure it'll be of benefit to lots of people.

Celticspirit Mar 4th 2013 1:27 am

Originally Posted by Montfan72 (Post 10581459)
Thanks Dunroving, what a great idea. I'm sure it'll be of benefit to lots of people.

Thank you from me too....,40+ years here and now leaving with some (Whatever profits from our house sale divided by too) are. I don't get SS alone because I never really had to work here (please don't judge me for living a life of privilege. It's only what I knew). Now at 69......it is a really scary prospect for my future. I am terrified. I feel incredibly foolish for supporting my lawyer husband for 15+ years from my parents estate. It's a sad and scary future for me....

cheers Mar 4th 2013 1:35 am

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 10581493)
Thank you from me too....,40+ years here and now leaving with some (Whatever profits from our house sale divided by too) are. I don't get SS alone because I never really had to work here (please don't judge me for living a life of privilege. It's only what I knew). Now at 69......it is a really scary prospect for my future. I am terrified. I feel incredibly foolish for supporting my lawyer husband for 15+ years from my parents estate. It's a sad and scary future for me....

How soon can you leave?

Cheers

windsong Mar 4th 2013 1:51 am

Please don't feel foolish. All of us have traveled a different path in life and none of us knows what we ourselves would have done given different circumstances. Many of us, I am sure, would have done the very same thing.

Now begins a different and new chapter in your life. It's all going to be okay :)

Celticspirit Mar 4th 2013 1:58 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10581500)
How soon can you leave?

Cheers

As soon as we sell the house...both of my children live in NY.NY and my daughter is getting married May 18.

Mallory Mar 4th 2013 2:27 am

Since you are getting SS based on your 2nd husband's SS, why don't you check and see if you can SS on your first husband's SS, since you are now divorced? You said 1st husband was a doctor, maybe you would get more. I don't know if you can switch, once you've started getting SS, but it would be worth looking into.

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-08-...ocial-security

happyglow Mar 4th 2013 2:47 am

Hey, lots of us have made those kinds of mistakes - waves hand in air.

Deep breath, brave hat on.... and CHARGE! You have friends here :)

windsong Mar 4th 2013 2:52 am

Can anyone tell me the price of "good" pet food (dog and cat) in the UK? My pets eat Merricks human grade wet food (dog version $2.60 a can and cat version $1.40 a can in the USA). They also eat Royal Canin dried dog food and Natural Balance dried cat food. I wonder if these brands are available over there and at what price.

windsong Mar 4th 2013 3:02 am

Has anyone had reverse culture shock when arriving back in the UK? I was thinking about this today with regard to the differences in the homes. Here in the USA most of us are used to pretty up-to-date kitchens, bathrooms, etc. and larger homes overall. Of course, I am unemployed at the moment and just "winging it" but nevertheless, my home is quite nice. I am anticipating when I return to the UK I will have a real shock in that I might feel claustrophobic in the small rooms in the houses there, perhaps kitchens not as modern as in the USA, etc. Of course, this might be merely my imagination but I thought I would ask if anyone has had a shock like this upon arrival in the UK or perhaps have had to lower their living standards.

I know the benefits of living in the beautiful UK outweigh all of these things but, nevertheless, it is still a mindset change that has to be made, I think.

I think I am haunted by the memory of when I visited Somerset 15 years ago and we stayed an extra day. My father wanted us to stay somewhere closer to him so we booked a room in a pub - a nice pub, too. However when we got up to the room with bathroom down the hall, we had a shock!!! The beds were old, sunken in the middle, etc. We ended up checking out and drove an hour back to the hotel where we had stayed the previous few nights. Maybe we just had a bad experience or perhaps we were too used to decent living in the USA. I don't know :(

I think I worry too much sometimes. After all, when I find a place to live, I can make it the way I want it - as finances dictate, of course.

happyglow Mar 4th 2013 4:03 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10581574)
Can anyone tell me the price of "good" pet food (dog and cat) in the UK? My pets eat Merricks human grade wet food (dog version $2.60 a can and cat version $1.40 a can in the USA). They also eat Royal Canin dried dog food and Natural Balance dried cat food. I wonder if these brands are available over there and at what price.

No idea, sorry. Maybe have a surf around the online supermarkets and pet stores? There seems to be better quality dry food here in Canada than there was in the UK, but perhaps that's changed.

My pooch eats raw food, I hope to continue with that if we can find a good supplier.

happyglow Mar 4th 2013 4:09 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10581579)
Has anyone had reverse culture shock when arriving back in the UK? I was thinking about this today with regard to the differences in the homes. Here in the USA most of us are used to pretty up-to-date kitchens, bathrooms, etc. and larger homes overall. Of course, I am unemployed at the moment and just "winging it" but nevertheless, my home is quite nice. I am anticipating when I return to the UK I will have a real shock

It's a possibility! I remember thinking how big the toilets are in Canada when I first arrived. :o

I can't believe how many rentals don't have a dishwasher. It's barbaric! :confused: