British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

dunroving Mar 4th 2013 6:28 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 10581900)
Matt Baker owns and runs a farm, Julia Bradshaw is very active in countryside matters and has a lot to do with rambling etc. All the presenters do have credentials regarding farming and countryside matters, none are hired for their presenting skills alone.

Yes, I realise they both have some country connections (he works with sheepdogs, don't think he runs his own farm, TBH; she is the poster girl for the Ramblers' Club or something), but compared to Adam, they are both just a bit "silly" in their presenting style, IMO. The presenting style I call "Blue Peter" seems to be on the increase in a lot of supposedly adult-oriented programs these days.

Maybe I'm just jealous because they are young and I'm not.

dontheturner Mar 4th 2013 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10582800)
Common place in Canada. All attached to a circuit interrupter.

Circuit breakers also very common in the UK. BY LAW EVERYWHERE.

Still a very dangerous situation.

lf1 Mar 4th 2013 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 10583196)
Circuit breakers also very common in the UK. BY LAW EVERYWHERE.

Still a very dangerous situation.

circuit breakers are used in Canada too. the circuit interrupter used in the bathroom is designed specifically for the area it is being used in. seems to work perfectly well and safely in North America.

Englishmum Mar 4th 2013 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10579699)
I've been getting acquainted with the programs on the BBC iPlayer and I absolutely LOVE the following:

Call the Midwife
Death in Paradise
Holby City
Ripper Street
Prince of Persia (Film)

I watched these all in one week, sometimes more than one episode, too. I can't remember the last time I found so many programs to enjoy in one week! The BBC seems to have kept up its high quality program listings.

I also love Escape to the Country. Sometimes I can watch it without getting upset (homesick) but sometimes I can't.

As I'm typing this I'm currently watching the premiere of the brand new series on ITV called "Broadchurch". It's filmed in the West Country - mainly the Dorset coast plus some scenes filmed in Clevedon and Bristol (Avon/Somerset). "Broadchurch" is a murder mystery and has some well-known British actors; David Tennant - a former Dr. Who, Olivia Coleman (Mitchell & Webb), Pauline Quirke (Double Deckers lol! :lol:).

It's very impressive so far...:) Try and catch "Broadchurch" on the ITV iPlayer if you can :cool:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...r-mystery.html

lf1 Mar 4th 2013 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 10583393)
As I'm typing this I'm currently watching the premiere of the brand new series on ITV called "Broadchurch". It's filmed in the West Country - mainly the Dorset coast plus some scenes filmed in Clevedon and Bristol (Avon/Somerset). "Broadchurch" is a murder mystery and has some well-known British actors; David Tennant - a former Dr. Who, Olivia Coleman (Mitchell & Webb), Pauline Quirke (Double Deckers lol! :lol:).

It's very impressive so far...:) Try and catch "Broadchurch" on the ITV iPlayer if you can :cool:

+ 1. I am also enjoying it so far and the Sunday Times review was very favourable.

"Mayday" started on BBC 1 last night, but I can't say if it is any good.

windsong Mar 4th 2013 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10583431)
+ 1. I am also enjoying it so far and the Sunday Times review was very favourable.

"Mayday" started on BBC 1 last night, but I can't say if it is any good.

Mayday is quite good. It is a mystery/crime program about a missing girl. I watched it for the first time last night.

cheers Mar 4th 2013 10:15 pm

Check today's Telegraph for news on Downton Abbey that starts filming this week.

dontheturner Mar 5th 2013 11:11 am

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10583235)
circuit breakers are used in Canada too. the circuit interrupter used in the bathroom is designed specifically for the area it is being used in. seems to work perfectly well and safely in North America.

Good - as I would expect.

Bevm Mar 5th 2013 11:46 am

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 10582791)
Electrical Sockets IN A BATHROOM? are you joking - thoroughly dangerous

Still, I suppose must be good for a fry-up!!

We've had them in all three houses in England, but they're special ones for shavers. They don't take a regular plug. Not sure if hairdryers come with special plugs as I don't use one.

The Canadian ones were just regular plugs but with GFIs, so safe. A lot of down sides in the UK are from excessive attempts to eliminate every risk.

Bev

cheers Mar 5th 2013 2:48 pm

Where is Charleygirl? Anyone connected to her?

WhoFan63 Mar 5th 2013 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 10583393)

I must admit I can't wait to watch Broadchurch :) As a huge David Tennant fan, I watch everything that has his name in it..lol. Unfortunately I don't think I'll get to watch it while I'm still here in the US, will probably have to wait until I'm back in Blighty :D Sad that the ITV player won't work in the US. :( Boo ! LOL

Englishmum Mar 5th 2013 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by WhoFan63 (Post 10585065)
I must admit I can't wait to watch Broadchurch :) As a huge David Tennant fan, I watch everything that has his name in it..lol. Unfortunately I don't think I'll get to watch it while I'm still here in the US, will probably have to wait until I'm back in Blighty :D Sad that the ITV player won't work in the US. :( Boo ! LOL

Actually you can 'con' your PC or laptop into temporarily thinking that you are in the UK! You just download a program which issues a VPN (Virtual Private Network). I use ExpatShield....it's free (some others you have to pay for) and only takes a few moments to install.....I managed to do it and I am useless with anything technical.

What happens is that you have a little shield appearing on your toolbar, red is off and green is on. When you want to watch live or pre-recorded British TV programmes you just go to your little shield, turn the icon on and a few moments later your PC or laptop thinks you are in the UK....then all you need to do is to go to the website of say, ITV, BBC...ahem of course you have a TV licence... ;) Channel 4 etc. etc. Obviously it won't work on cable or satellite channels!

I was able to watch all of the Olympics on the BBC live from the UK last Summer, Downton Abbey, Coronation Street etc.

http://www.expatshield.com (there are plenty of others too. However it won't work on a Mac).

Btw - this link explains in more detail how a VPN works:

http://lifehacker.com/5940565/why-yo...for-your-needs

WhoFan63 Mar 5th 2013 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 10585161)
Actually you can 'con' your PC or laptop into temporarily thinking that you are in the UK! You just download a program which issues a VPN (Virtual Private Network). I use ExpatShield....it's free (some others you have to pay for) and only takes a few moments to install.....I managed to do it and I am useless with anything technical.

What happens is that you have a little shield appearing on your toolbar, red is off and green is on. When you want to watch live or pre-recorded British TV programmes you just go to your little shield, turn the icon on and a few moments later your PC or laptop thinks you are in the UK....then all you need to do is to go to the website of say, ITV, BBC...ahem of course you have a TV licence... ;) Channel 4 etc. etc. Obviously it won't work on cable or satellite channels!

I was able to watch all of the Olympics on the BBC live from the UK last Summer, Downton Abbey, Coronation Street etc.

http://www.expatshield.com (there are plenty of others too. However it won't work on a Mac).

Btw - this link explains in more detail how a VPN works:

http://lifehacker.com/5940565/why-yo...for-your-needs

I just tried to download, and it says it can't run due to compatibility issues. :( :( Probably because I'm using Win8 and it says up to Win7 :( Darn it. I even tried to change the compatibility settings to Win 7, but still no luck... Guess I'm not meant to do it...unless you know of any other free ones that would work with Win8? LOL

cheers Mar 5th 2013 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by WhoFan63 (Post 10585175)
I just tried to download, and it says it can't run due to compatibility issues. :( :( Probably because I'm using Win8 and it says up to Win7 :( Darn it. I even tried to change the compatibility settings to Win 7, but still no luck... Guess I'm not meant to do it...unless you know of any other free ones that would work with Win8? LOL

I'm able to do it with Vista although I haven't tried it for many months.
One thing is you have to remember to disconnect otherwise you will have trouble with some of your regular 'stuff'.

WhoFan63 Mar 5th 2013 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10585313)
I'm able to do it with Vista although I haven't tried it for many months.
One thing is you have to remember to disconnect otherwise you will have trouble with some of your regular 'stuff'.

I ended up just deleting the whole thing because when I did manage to get it up and running (thanks to downloading from another site) it wouldn't let me connect to the UK. It wanted me to pay to upgrade to Elite and even when i selected a 7 day free trial it wouldn't work, so I quit while I was ahead.

Than to add that I got a warning from google saying the web site was trying to sign into my Google account LOL.

All in all, in theory a good idea but it didn't work for me so I think I'll just be patient until I get home and then catch up on what I've missed on the ITV iplayer :) Thanks for your help though :)