British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

cheers Feb 21st 2013 6:13 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10559570)
I got rid of cable TV about six months ago. I don't miss it. I simply miss the noise the TV offered for companionship. I now watch programs on the computer. I refuse to spend all that money every month on junk. I only had it installed again about two years ago, too, after not having any TV service for about four years (had dropped it for the very same reason). It seemed like a good idea to have it reinstalled at the time but it wasn't. After it was installed, I discovered I only watched the occasional movie on it and NONE of the regularly scheduled shows. One movie a month wasn't worth it and I was paying a small fortune for it in the end.

I truly don't miss it. What I do miss is watching shows on a big screen, so I have to work out how to view them on the flat screen TV when I get a chance. It's not a big issue, though. My laptop has a 17-inch screen anyway - decent size.

I am paying $53 a month for 120 channels which mean about 10 channels, the rest are junk. I would like to cancel cable but we do get some things on Public Broadcasting Channels. I think we have 2 PBS channels.

curleytops Feb 21st 2013 6:16 pm

Well cheers, If1 - looks like its just us 3 chickens on here @ mo

fulwood Feb 21st 2013 6:22 pm

over on the trailer park forum I learned a lot.... So lessons learned - ditch cable (DONE), got Roku box, get HDMI cable, going to buy Mohu Leaf antenna to get local channels, subscription to Netflix which only cost me $8.71 per month. I now watch British telly on computer using Hola.org which is far user friendly than expatshield was. They have odd issue but are quick to resolve. Learned about hola.org from someone on trailer park forum. Goodbye $60 cable bill!

lf1 Feb 21st 2013 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10560084)
Well cheers, If1 - looks like its just us 3 chickens on here @ mo

Hasn't this thread been lively recently! Cheers, I am still waiting on your verdict on Downton Abbey;)

curleytops Feb 21st 2013 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10560115)
Hasn't this thread been lively recently! Cheers, I am still waiting on your verdict on Downton Abbey;)

If you havent seen it before, "Vera" airs on ITV3 in 25 min, good scenery near your neck of the woods :starsmile:

lf1 Feb 21st 2013 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10560129)
If you havent seen it before, "Vera" airs on ITV3 in 25 min, good scenery near your neck of the woods :starsmile:

I have just been informed that we don't get ITV 3 on our package, but I am sure I get it on my iPad? I'll put that on my ironing "catchup list"
I have seen a couple of episodes of Vera and I really enjoyed them.

How is life treating you in Scarborough?

Mummy in the foothills Feb 21st 2013 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10560115)

Oh, me me. I watched the last series, and it had a really rotten ending. Is there going to be another season?

curleytops Feb 21st 2013 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10560144)
I have just been informed that we don't get ITV 3 on our package, but I am sure I get it on my iPad? I'll put that on my ironing "catchup list"
I have seen a couple of episodes of Vera and I really enjoyed them.

How is life treating you in Scarborough?

It's on the ITV player but it isn't free :frown:

Really liking Scarborough thanks, the green shoots are coming up in the garden now - anxious to see what we've got out there :starsmile:

lf1 Feb 21st 2013 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10560163)
Oh, me me. I watched the last series, and it had a really rotten ending. Is there going to be another season?

I believe there is.

lf1 Feb 21st 2013 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10560192)
It's on the ITV player but it isn't free :frown:

Really liking Scarborough thanks, the green shoots are coming up in the garden now - anxious to see what we've got out there :starsmile:

Great. I am glad that your happy. We have a tiny little garden, even Alan Titchmarsh would have a challenge planning it. I don't what is in there, but I do know that it is over planted. I need to get a plan together, but I find it difficult to plan a garden.

curleytops Feb 21st 2013 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10560225)
Great. I am glad that your happy. We have a tiny little garden, even Alan Titchmarsh would have a challenge planning it. I don't what is in there, but I do know that it is over planted. I need to get a plan together, but I find it difficult to plan a garden.

Sad to say I haven't much clue in the garden but dh is all gung ho about it

lf1 Feb 21st 2013 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10560236)
Sad to say I haven't much clue in the garden but dh is all gung ho about it

Send him up here when he has finished yours:)

jasper123 Feb 21st 2013 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10560129)

Yes Vera is wonderful, I saw the last episode in the series tonight 8pm till 10pm Oh I so enjoyed it, it was so interesting that even Mum stayed awake to watch it ----- she didn't doze off once :) bless her heart,

OMG did you hear the latest news flash? today there was a big three car shoot out in Vegas, las vegas blvd & flamingo, right in the heart of the strip, then the shoot out caused cars to collide into each other, a car went into a taxi and it burst into flames, there calling it the die hard shootings, four people dead, as you all know Vegas is my town I came from, Hmmmm seems to be getting even more dangerous there now, ---- me thinks maybe I got out of dodge just in time!!!!

windsong Feb 21st 2013 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10560663)
Yes Vera is wonderful, I saw the last episode in the series tonight 8pm till 10pm Oh I so enjoyed it, it was so interesting that even Mum stayed awake to watch it ----- she didn't doze off once :) bless her heart,

OMG did you hear the latest news flash? today there was a big three car shoot out in Vegas, las vegas blvd & flamingo, right in the heart of the strip, then the shoot out caused cars to collide into each other, a car went into a taxi and it burst into flames, there calling it the die hard shootings, four people dead, as you all know Vegas is my town I came from, Hmmmm seems to be getting even more dangerous there now, ---- me thinks maybe I got out of dodge just in time!!!!

I think you did, Rodney, and I think it turned out to be a fabulous move for you :D

sile Feb 21st 2013 11:46 pm

Wind song and Cheers.....
Fulwood mentioned some things I can second....the Mohu Leaf antenna...fabulous. I have Apple TV instead of Roku and can get Netflix thru that and also can "mirror" shows from my iPad to the TV.
If you get an antenna such as the Leaf, and you get good reception in your area, you can pick up not only your local stations, but many PBS stations as well, and they all broadcast in HD! It looks just as good or better than the picture you get with cable.