British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

curleytops Feb 20th 2013 8:28 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 10557829)
Yes I have to agree that Downton Abbey is full of quite a few stuffed shirts and if I had been around back then I would probably have been the undermaid.....Thats not to say I dont really enjoy it. Dont know how much longer it can carry on if they keep killing people off.......

Have you seen the Christmas special yet trotty?

Karrie72 Feb 20th 2013 8:29 pm

Yes I have to agree that Downton Abbey is full of quite a few stuffed shirts and if I had been around back then I would probably have been the undermaid.....Thats not to say I dont really enjoy it. Dont know how much longer it can carry on if they keep killing people off.......

I do like the butler character... But the aristocratic women annoy me, especially the mother, she's so smug. Maggie whats her name is brilliant as always though.

Derrygal Feb 20th 2013 9:42 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 10553877)
I am up late and just read the wonderful Richard Briers has passed away. Another of the good ones has gone..

I loved Richard Briers - he was a great actor. I remember him well in "The Good Life" (called Good Neighbors here in the US) and "Ever Decreasing Circles".

Regarding renaming the thread - why?????? Not sure what all the hullabaloo is about..........

I love Downton Abbey - wouldn't miss it. Now both my daughters watch it too. :thumbsup:

dunroving Feb 20th 2013 9:54 pm

I thought the first series of Downton was novel, fresh, innovative, well-acted and scripted, with enticing plots. Then it became popular and WhatsisFellowes sold out to the Downton-meets-Eastenders-meets-Sex and thye City crowd (well, not quite, but it just became more commercial and silly and inauthentic).

I still like it, though. :D

jasper123 Feb 20th 2013 10:23 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10556809)
You can tell we are old codgers on here - every other thread is like a history lesson!

"OK, so the original Moving Back for the 50s thread was created, then in 2011, someone suggested .... " :rofl:

Actually, I found a boatload of "Info for 50's an 60's" threads, on all sorts of topics (one about utilities, one about employment, one about banking, one about hemorrhoids) ... just kidding about that last one. (yes, I know there's nothing funny about hemorrhoids).

No dunroving the original over 50s & 60s thread was created in 2009!!!!

jasper123 Feb 20th 2013 10:39 pm

If I were around back then I think I would have been a bossy head Butler, that would suit me fine as I believe that they are in charge of everything, downstairs and upstairs :D :p

jasper123 Feb 20th 2013 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 10557684)
OK, here we go, lets see how it goes :)

All complaints on a postcard to The Whinging Pom, Brisbane :lol::sneaky:

Titles on individual posts may take some time to catch up :)

Hi Pollyana, so your living in Brisbane, I lived there for a while, I remember spending a week at Surfers Paradise way back in the mid 60s when I lived in queensland, there at that time all there was ---- was beach huts on the beach that you could rent, I dont remember any hotels, I think a few people lived there though, but now I believe that its got quite big over the years, some people told me its like Honolulu Hawaii now, just shows you what 40 or 50 years will do to a place :)
Thanks for all your help on the name change, and for listening to us, and if it dont work out we know where to find you now ;)

shelley748 Feb 20th 2013 11:36 pm

I for one love Downton Abbey and am glued to it!!
:p

Jerseygirl Feb 20th 2013 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by shelley748 (Post 10558233)
I for one love Downton Abbey and am glued to it!!
:p

Me too. I also enjoy The Paradise and Mr Selfridge...although nothing beats Corrie. :thumbsup:

windsong Feb 20th 2013 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10558234)
Me too. I also enjoy The Paradise and Mr Selfridge...although nothing beats Corrie. :thumbsup:

Corrie forever!!!!! I've been watching that since I first managed to eat solid food! :rofl::rofl:

fulwood Feb 21st 2013 12:00 am

I watch Corrie as well. For any folks who like foreign programs there is fantastic police drama on BBC called "Spiral". It's now in Season 4 and I only caught one other season. Superbly acted and well scripted.

windsong Feb 21st 2013 12:17 am

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 10558266)
I watch Corrie as well. For any folks who like foreign programs there is fantastic police drama on BBC called "Spiral". It's now in Season 4 and I only caught one other season. Superbly acted and well scripted.

Thank you, Fulwood. I was just wondering the other day what are the names of the good shows to watch on BBC and ITV. I am out of touch with many of them. I will give this one a try :)

trottytrue Feb 21st 2013 2:11 am

Fulwood..Where does "Spiral" take place. I dont watch too many shows stay away from all those reality shows but do watch BBC Antiques and Restoration.

trottytrue Feb 21st 2013 2:17 am

This is typical of politicians.....

Nick Clegg has refused to reveal estimates of the number of Romanians and Bulgarians expected to come to the UK when restrictions on their right to work are lifted next year.

The deputy PM said the figures were not "precise", more like "guesstimates".

fulwood Feb 21st 2013 3:04 am

It's French so is subtitled. not an issue for me.