British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

windsong Apr 13th 2013 4:37 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by WhoFan63 (Post 10657026)
:rofl::rofl: Mmm Liam Neeson looks good in a skirt :rofl::rofl:

Always loved Liam!!! :thumbsup:

windsong Apr 13th 2013 4:39 pm

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10656258)
For my Scottish BE friends

WhoFan63 Apr 13th 2013 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10657108)
Always loved Liam!!! :thumbsup:

Me too...he's a brilliant actor ! :) :thumbsup:

cheers Apr 14th 2013 1:09 am

Fast food in the US has chemicals that are banned in the UK and some other countries. I read this about Subway sandwiches,

The 9 grain wheat bread might look and smell freshly baked but it contains close to 50 ingredients including refined flours, dough conditioners, hidden MSG, refined sugars, etc. Could bread this processed ever be real food? Certainly not, when it includes a chemical ingredient called azodicarbonamide, which is banned as a food additive in the U.K., Europe, and Australia, and if you get caught using it in Singapore you can get up to 15 years in prison and be fined $450,000. Azodicarbonamide is more commonly used in the production of foamed plastics, however, it is allowed in the United States as a food additive, a flour bleaching agent, and a dough conditioner that improves elasticity of bread. The U.K. has recognized this ingredient as a potential cause of asthma if inhaled, and advises against its use in people who have sensitivity to food dye allergies and other common allergies in food, because azodicarbonamide can exacerbate the symptoms. Let’s not forget it only takes 4 or 5 simple ingredients to make REAL whole-wheat bread including flour, yeast, salt, water, and maybe honey.

from 100 days of real food.

cheers Apr 14th 2013 3:30 am

I have mentioned before about property prices going up and I saw this today.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/proper...hree-year-high

windsong Apr 14th 2013 10:59 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10657632)
Fast food in the US has chemicals that are banned in the UK and some other countries. I read this about Subway sandwiches,

The 9 grain wheat bread might look and smell freshly baked but it contains close to 50 ingredients including refined flours, dough conditioners, hidden MSG, refined sugars, etc. Could bread this processed ever be real food? Certainly not, when it includes a chemical ingredient called azodicarbonamide, which is banned as a food additive in the U.K., Europe, and Australia, and if you get caught using it in Singapore you can get up to 15 years in prison and be fined $450,000. Azodicarbonamide is more commonly used in the production of foamed plastics, however, it is allowed in the United States as a food additive, a flour bleaching agent, and a dough conditioner that improves elasticity of bread. The U.K. has recognized this ingredient as a potential cause of asthma if inhaled, and advises against its use in people who have sensitivity to food dye allergies and other common allergies in food, because azodicarbonamide can exacerbate the symptoms. Let’s not forget it only takes 4 or 5 simple ingredients to make REAL whole-wheat bread including flour, yeast, salt, water, and maybe honey.

from 100 days of real food.

Thanks so much for this Cheers!

Where can I find "100 days of real food"?

Perth Apr 14th 2013 11:23 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10658102)
Thanks so much for this Cheers!

Where can I find "100 days of real food"?

Will have to look for that in the library. Another reason to go home...wonder what number I am up to now?

Perth Apr 14th 2013 11:30 am

Originally Posted by WhoFan63 (Post 10657116)
Me too...he's a brilliant actor ! :) :thumbsup:

Gotta love Hollywood. Putting an Irishman in a kilt. Couldn't they find a Scott then? Oh, what's the diff - they're both celtic, right? :rofl:

So Highland Games with gailc, a great success. Lovely lady, and the OHs got on fabulously too (both having been in the Air Force helped, lol). Tug-O-War in kilts was great; caber tossing, including women; sheep hearding with real border collies and real sheep; and passable fish and chips. We missed the highland dancing competitions but we'll see that at the Celtic Fest in Nov. They need to push back this event to a month earlier though. It was too darn hot already.

WhoFan63 Apr 14th 2013 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10658132)
Gotta love Hollywood. Putting an Irishman in a kilt. Couldn't they find a Scott then? Oh, what's the diff - they're both celtic, right? :rofl:

So Highland Games with gailc, a great success. Lovely lady, and the OHs got on fabulously too (both having been in the Air Force helped, lol). Tug-O-War in kilts was great; caber tossing, including women; sheep hearding with real border collies and real sheep; and passable fish and chips. We missed the highland dancing competitions but we'll see that at the Celtic Fest in Nov. They need to push back this event to a month earlier though. It was too darn hot already.

It sounds like you had a ball :) Too bad the heat had to stick it's head in...and you're right, the people who plan this festival really need to take a look at the weather forecast and realise that maybe a month or two earlier and they'd have more people coming out? Speaking of which, was it crowded? Now you can prepare for the Nov festival and know that it's going to be a lot cooler :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Perth Apr 14th 2013 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by WhoFan63 (Post 10658281)
It sounds like you had a ball :) Too bad the heat had to stick it's head in...and you're right, the people who plan this festival really need to take a look at the weather forecast and realise that maybe a month or two earlier and they'd have more people coming out? Speaking of which, was it crowded? Now you can prepare for the Nov festival and know that it's going to be a lot cooler :thumbsup::thumbsup:

We were extremely lucky to find shady spots under a tree where we could see the games, and, even more important, be right next to the fish and chips truck :lol: It was packed to the gills with people :eek:

WhoFan63 Apr 14th 2013 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10658294)
We were extremely lucky to find shady spots under a tree where we could see the games, and, even more important, be right next to the fish and chips truck :lol: It was packed to the gills with people :eek:

Even if the fish and chips were just passable ! :rofl::rofl:

Perth Apr 14th 2013 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by WhoFan63 (Post 10658296)
Even if the fish and chips were just passable ! :rofl::rofl:

:rofl: How are the wobbles this morning, dearie?

WhoFan63 Apr 14th 2013 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10658307)
:rofl: How are the wobbles this morning, dearie?

Oh I have gone from just a mild wobble to a full blown COLLYWOBBLE !:rofl::rofl: Tomorrow I expect to be in full PANIC mode and as for Tuesday? Well call the paramedics because I might need some help !:rofl::rofl:

Perth Apr 14th 2013 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by WhoFan63 (Post 10658318)
Oh I have gone from just a mild wobble to a full blown COLLYWOBBLE !:rofl::rofl: Tomorrow I expect to be in full PANIC mode and as for Tuesday? Well call the paramedics because I might need some help !:rofl::rofl:

Oh Miss Betty! Think you could fly over here right away? We have an emergency :rofl:

WhoFan63 Apr 14th 2013 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10658330)
Oh Miss Betty! Think you could fly over here right away? We have an emergency :rofl:

:thumbsup::thumbsup: That's a cure ! I'd be in stitches and not in the literal sense. :rofl: Although I might need some of those too if I end up banging my head against the wall today. :rofl::rofl: