British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

trottytrue Feb 26th 2013 1:51 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

When we move I am going to get basic cable and then install Roku we already have netflix on our computers so with Roku we can watch in on the tele. Its been interesting reading what type of programs all of you watch your TV on and its given me alot to think about. Saving money is the main thing. We spend an awful lot on Cable.

windsong Feb 26th 2013 2:19 am

Does anyone know if age is a factor when it comes to finding a job in the UK? I don't know if it is a universal fact that it is more difficult to find a job as you get older. When I first came to the USA, I used to hear people tell my parents that age didn't matter when it came to finding a job but my own experience recently has been that it does matter - even though I look younger than my actual age. I wonder if it is the same in the UK.

When I return I want to work as long as I can. I will probably be 62 by the time I get there and would like to work until I retire - which brings me to another question . . . is there an age in the UK at which you HAVE to stop working or can you continue to work after you retire? In the USA you can work so many hours a year after retirement.

I have started a business with a friend and hopefully it will be successful in which case I would be self-employed full-time after a year or so but until then I would be working for someone else. If self-employed, I can work until whatever age I like. However, worst case scenario and the business is not successful - or it takes longer than expected to be successful, then I would have to rely on finding employment.

Perth Feb 26th 2013 11:37 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10567326)
I will look forward to having a nice beer with you both, and maybe lunch and catchup!!!!! and I will show you around the more interesting parts of Pompey and Southsea, the Charles Dickens Museum (his birth place) is nice to see too, Portsmouth is only 22 miles from Southampton.
Rodney.

I look forward to it, Rodney! I would love to see the Dickens Museum. Also want to visit Thomas Hardy's Dorset while I'm down that way. (Can you tell I was an English major?) :)

Perth Feb 26th 2013 11:44 am

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10565918)
we are going to splurge and pay $9.99 to see Ben Wishaw (of The Hour) in Bright Star (biography of John Keats)....again I am requesting a slobbering emoticon, but I guess I'll just settle for a :heart: <sigh> :p

So we saw Bright Star last night, and Ben Wishaw was lovely. You must like poetry as there is a lot of it - since it is about Keats after all - but it is beautifully filmed in London, with proper English gardens, and bird songs like you only hear in England, and many shots of Hampstead Heath near where I used to live. Very homesick now...

between two worlds Feb 26th 2013 11:50 am

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10570606)
So we saw Bright Star last night, and Ben Wishaw was lovely. You must like poetry as there is a lot of it - since it is about Keats after all - but it is beautifully filmed in London, with proper English gardens, and bird songs like you only hear in England, and many shots of Hampstead Heath near where I used to live. Very homesick now...

Yes, a lovely movie--some anachronism I feel, and I'm not sure how faithful to what is really known abt Keats and Fanny Brawne but I loved the movie...though it brings you back again to the heartrending sadness of Keats's death...so awful how many people, especially young ones, died of TB...and now they could be cured.....oh dear...

His letters make such extraordinary reading.

between two worlds Feb 26th 2013 11:53 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 10569678)
Thankyou for you wishes all of you I am doing fine just have to get on with it. When we were going home we had decided on a few places one of them high on the list was Herefordshire. I liked it because it was unspoilt and less expensive than other area's of beauty. We found some really nice houses. Herefordshire is close to both North and South so a good place for all. This is the website I looked at houses and there are still some really nice ones to be had. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...html?index=680 They even highlighted it on a program here in the US cannot think was it was but it was still as beautiful as I remember.

Another place we liked apart from Hoole outside Chester was Handbridge with is the otherside of Chester and within easy walking distance of Chester and you dont run into the same traffic as you do from Hoole. My friend is thinking of moving from the village she lives in to Handbridge as she would not need her car so much.Not being able to drive since she broke her wrist its been hard on her having to wait for relatives or friends to pick her up to take her shopping. If she lived closer to Chester she would be able to either shop local or get on a bus into Chester.

Trotty, thanks for sharing.

Perth Feb 26th 2013 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by between two worlds (Post 10570615)
Yes, a lovely movie--some anachronism I feel, and I'm not sure how faithful to what is really known abt Keats and Fanny Brawne but I loved the movie...though it brings you back again to the heartrending sadness of Keats's death...so awful how many people, especially young ones, died of TB...and now they could be cured.....oh dear...

Indeed - some, ahem, poetic licence was surely taken. His letters! Quite enchanting. I had not realised he was only 25 when he died. So may talented good souls were penniless and taken young :(

dunroving Feb 26th 2013 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by between two worlds (Post 10570615)

Duh, spoiler alert - what about those of us who didn't know they killed him off at the end of the movie? :rofl:

between two worlds Feb 26th 2013 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10570759)
Duh, spoiler alert - what about those of us who didn't know they killed him off at the end of the movie? :rofl:

Haha dunroving very funny...and perhaps the ending of the movie "Lincoln" also came as a surprise to you???!!!!!

By the way, how wonderful that Daniel Day-Lewis, one of the most brilliant actors ever, is getting the acclaim he deserves.

dunroving Feb 26th 2013 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by between two worlds (Post 10570848)
Haha dunroving very funny...and perhaps the ending of the movie "Lincoln" also came as a surprise to you???!!!!!

By the way, how wonderful that Daniel Day-Lewis, one of the most brilliant actors ever, is getting the acclaim he deserves.

Would you stop spoiling things for me - I HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET!!

;)

Mummy in the foothills Feb 26th 2013 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10569701)
Does anyone know if age is a factor when it comes to finding a job in the UK? I don't know if it is a universal fact that it is more difficult to find a job as you get older. When I first came to the USA, I used to hear people tell my parents that age didn't matter when it came to finding a job but my own experience recently has been that it does matter - even though I look younger than my actual age. I wonder if it is the same in the UK.

When I return I want to work as long as I can. I will probably be 62 by the time I get there and would like to work until I retire - which brings me to another question . . . is there an age in the UK at which you HAVE to stop working or can you continue to work after you retire? In the USA you can work so many hours a year after retirement.

I have started a business with a friend and hopefully it will be successful in which case I would be self-employed full-time after a year or so but until then I would be working for someone else. If self-employed, I can work until whatever age I like. However, worst case scenario and the business is not successful - or it takes longer than expected to be successful, then I would have to rely on finding employment.

I have the same concerns about finding work.

between two worlds Feb 26th 2013 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10571012)
I have the same concerns about finding work.

It's frightening. The British papers on Saturday carried a story about 8 spots at a new Costa coffee shop in Nottingham for which 1,700 people applied! Many of them graduates, some PhDs, some people with first-class degrees....people who have been out of work for months. It's really awful how little work there seems to be...

Perth Feb 27th 2013 1:26 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10565933)
Thank you very much!! I am so happy for the online viewing opportunities because, now, I don't have to pay a fortune for terrible cable TV - and I think the assortment is going to get a lot better over time, too. :fingerscrossed:

I didn't know Amazon offered anything of this sort, so it is good to know. I will investigate :)

Apparently, Amazon Prime is offering a free trial right now also (they don't do it very often so grab it while you can).

Karrie72 Feb 27th 2013 11:54 am

Originally Posted by between two worlds (Post 10571033)
It's frightening. The British papers on Saturday carried a story about 8 spots at a new Costa coffee shop in Nottingham for which 1,700 people applied! Many of them graduates, some PhDs, some people with first-class degrees....people who have been out of work for months. It's really awful how little work there seems to be...

I read that also, not encouraging news at all...

J.JsOH Feb 27th 2013 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10569701)

I have no personal evidence but yes, my understanding is age is a factor when seeking employment in Britain. Of course, it depends on your skills and the job you seek. I think it would be important to match your abilities to the needs of an advertised job, find some synergy, take some recent training.

It is still generally expected that people retire at coming of age, even though the law recently changed so that companies now cannot force someone out at their retirement age. A few may work on longer but it seems the norm is that everyone is looking forward to retiring, not to keep on working.

Large store checkouts seem to be willing to give anyone a try, I see many older people there. B&Q has a policy to hire older workers.

Finding a job could be a long and tiring road as many newspaper stories attest.
But then not always, an older newcomer to my street got a job as a legal secretary (she has admin experience) after only a few weeks looking, and now she has split the job to part-time with someone else.
I think her strategy of chasing for jobs as soon as she moved into town worked for her and made her stand out amongst the long term local unemployed.

As for the story of high numbers of applicants for a coffee bar job, I wonder why so many are looking for the comfy warm low-skill regular-hours, fixed pay rate and benefits of employment with a established company? Are as many applying to be farm workers or cabbage pickers or flower packers? Maybe not, because immigrants seems to walk into those positions.