British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

lf1 Feb 22nd 2013 8:48 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 10562658)
Broillies????? At Dawn????

I think Polly might win with her brolly :thumbsup:

One shall see! Have you seen the brolly sharpening facilities at Downton?:lol:

trottytrue Feb 22nd 2013 8:55 pm

Homeiswheretheheartis..I am truly sorry for you and the situation you are in. Children andn I am not sure how old yours are, are not so simple as people would think the older they get the more they need their friends and I am sure it must be difficult for them trying to learn such different histories. They have more than that to worry about spelling and many other things, being different is hard enough for us so you can imagine what its like for them. Perhaps if you explain to DD that once she gets over the next few months summer will be here and they have such long holidays here in no time she will be back home. Planning it will help her through some of the hard times. Have her start a notebook that she can take with home with her showing the differences between the two countries she could use it in school. I am sure all the children back home would love to know what its like here.

Have you thought what you will do once you return to the UK will you stay their and not move the children again. We cope much better than they do.

I hope it all works out for you.

Pollyana Feb 22nd 2013 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10562621)
I have PM'd Pollyanna and hopefully the matter will be dealt with promptly, unless there are some unexpected cyclones that need to be attended to. I am sure that my standing in society will ensure a swift response, otherwise, it is broillies at dawn.:lol:

Dowager Countess of Grantham

I've just finished a 14 hour night shift and had a 40 minute walk hime so I would dearly love a pint, but I'll answer this instead :D

The UK forum is split much like the Aus, Canadian, US, NZ forums - a main forum with questions about moving, shipping, lsetting up home, locations to live etc.
An Immigration forum - which in the case of the UK we are trying to keep to citizens returning home with spouses, passport issues, that kind of thing.
An Update forum - mostly long posts about how its going now a poster has settled in, and a chat, gossip, meet your friends, (almost) any7thing goes forum - The Rovers Return.
When the thread was split, whenever that was, part of it stayed in the main forum as it contained mostly information on moving - how to get NHS care, how to find a homse, how to open bank accounts - that part of the thread died. People stopped using it, they seemed to use this one instead. If the other one had stayed alive and was still proving a source of info for people moving, it would still be in the main forum.
Maybe some people would see it in the main forum, but then I'll have people saying they know of people who are not finding it cos its not in the Rovers - one of those catch-22 questions.
If people spot someone they think would "fit in" to the thread, pm them, post on their other thread with a link, invite them to join in, but I honestly don't think moving this to the main forum will achieve anything - it is largely a catch-up, friendship thread, and thats what the subforums like the Rovers and the Trailer Park and the Barbie are for :)

trottytrue Feb 22nd 2013 9:07 pm

Cheers... I downloaded Hola and had nothing but trouble my computer froze and I could not do anything so I uninstalled it and went back to my ex-pat shield.. It does get adverts that annoy me at time but apart from that I have no problems with it, I connect and disconnect when I want to watch something or else I cannot open my mail. But is does me fine.

The two shows I watch here in the US are NCIS and Big Bang Theory apart from that its mainly PBS British Shows or computer Tele. My daughter bought Roko and I am going to get it when we move. We also have Netflix which I watch on my Ipad but when we move I will be able to watch it on my TV. I dont find a great many progams I like. Even UK shows I have to decide which I like. Vera I love Lewis I loved I was sad to watch the last one and then I loved New Tricks, Midsomer Murders and Downton Abbey but I was sad that they killed another of the cast off. But it is coming back.
Did someone say that they are doing another Foyles War. Will this be new episodes or repeats. I suppose if its new it will be after the War. Like someone said they could have gone on with more taking place during the War.

I am now going over to the Pub to get drunk:thumbsup:

Homeiswheretheheartis Feb 22nd 2013 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 10562756)
Homeiswheretheheartis..I am truly sorry for you and the situation you are in. Children andn I am not sure how old yours are, are not so simple as people would think the older they get the more they need their friends and I am sure it must be difficult for them trying to learn such different histories. They have more than that to worry about spelling and many other things, being different is hard enough for us so you can imagine what its like for them. Perhaps if you explain to DD that once she gets over the next few months summer will be here and they have such long holidays here in no time she will be back home. Planning it will help her through some of the hard times. Have her start a notebook that she can take with home with her showing the differences between the two countries she could use it in school. I am sure all the children back home would love to know what its like here.

Have you thought what you will do once you return to the UK will you stay their and not move the children again. We cope much better than they do.

I hope it all works out for you.

Trotty, thankyou for your concern, and I'm so sorry life is not going the way you wanted at the moment, hugs. I feel bad for complaining because its so much harder for many people.

I think thats a really good idea to start a notebook about going home, I've been trying to show my DD the positive and make the most of being here. I'm feeling a bit fragile today because there were tears from DD last night. My DD has just turned 10, but has learning difficulties and is very young for her age (well compared to the US kids in Vegas!)

We are very lucky as in we are returning to our home, the only one DD had know. The same class at school who has kids in she has known all her life. I live in a little a perfect little town in Lincolnshire. We will not ever move again:thumbsup:

I do believe the greatest gift the US had given me, is the realization that I had the perfect life in the UK to which I will be returning. While most of my friends in the UK are beginning their mid life crisis, I can sit smuggly knowing I've got everything I will ever need.

I do hope whatever life holds for you now, you are able to find some peace and comfort wherever that maybe.

trottytrue Feb 22nd 2013 9:29 pm

lf1....Yes what a good memory you have. We had to have the well water bleached and then we had problems with Radon in the downstairs. The people that bought the house were an utter nightmare. They got the house for a steal and then wanted our blood. We didnt have the best estate agent I often wondered who he was working for them or us. We left behind paint that I thought was helpful to the new owners as it was the paint used in the house and on the shutters. They charged us to removed it $10 per tin. :eek:

Mummy in the foothills..Yes those boxes were a a thorn in my side but what a laugh we had me running up and down that attic ladder bringing down those boxes. We kept each other going. I had a whole notebook with each box marked and what it had inside. Could not believe some of the junk I bad boxed up. Thankgoodness I got rid of alot of it. :)

Dunroving was very kind and helpful and gave me the names of a couple of books that will help me and I do realize that looking back is not good I have stoppped saying "why me" but I am posting here to help those who are having the wobblies.:)

Pollyana..Thank you again for the rename and if I remember rightly back when we changed it years ago we did remind people we met on other parts of the forum that we had moved.

Windsong...I am sure I will have days when I feel down and I know if I had gone back home I would have gone through the same only in reverse. Leaving people behind is not easy. But over the past year I have learnt that you take one day at a time and be happy and make the most of it. I could easily have not made it through last year so this is all a gift. I have a beautiful family my OH is doing well and I am moving into a nice house and who knows what the future will hold for me. I have my books my embroidery and my computer and they all help. The latter really helps Skype is great I talk to my family and imagine them to be down the road. Now I am going for that drink:drinkwine:

trottytrue Feb 22nd 2013 9:36 pm

homeisweretheheartis......Why dont you give her some magazines to cut pictures out of to glue into the notebook along with her thoughts it will make it more fun. She could even copy some of the lessons from her school to show what its like in the US. The different spelling would be fun. I got into all sorts of trouble when I tried helping my children with spelling here in the US. She could also show the difference between the town she lives in here and the one in England. Its sounds like a lovely place you come from no wonder she misses it.
When you get back you can sit and listen to those who are dying to leave and smile and think about how awful it was for you and how happy you are to be home. The months will fly past.

Dont worry about me I will be fine I have my days but get over it.

curleytops Feb 22nd 2013 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10562503)
For the Downton Abbey crowd and Pollyanna.

NOTE: DO NOT OPEN IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE MOST CURRENT EPISODE.

http://www.happyplace.com/21471/down...on-3-episode-7

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::r ofl:

jasper123 Feb 22nd 2013 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 10560812)
Hellooooooooooo I am back!! So glad I still had one of the old posts on my email so that I could catch up with you lot!!! Been away for two months holiday in Cape Town with my family! Wonderful happy holiday and so much better than even being in Canada, totally safe. I have noticed the change to over 40’s, and have spent an afternoon catching up on everyone’s lives etc. What riveting reading so going back a long way I would just like to mention the following:
Rodney sorry to hear about your mom and hope she is well on the mend now!
Fulwood, sorry about your brother
Celticspirit, hope you are feeling a lot better now
Sally, thanks for your blog, that I managed to read as it came through my email address, your new home looks stunning and I will enjoy more of your updates. Also some very good advice about attitude and perception when returning, and then your news of your robbery, how scary!
Perth.. you and I are so at the same place and Rodney I may also give Portsmouth a look into!
J.Josh loved your posts and your honesty about your life and the adjustment.
Trottytrue, thanks for the recap of your life and experiences – such true words spoken from your diary of expat, so pleased your husband came through his surgery well. Your decision to stay is a brave one.
Dunroving, I believe you are right about retiring in UK. We have realized that we would be better off financially in the UK rather than here in Canada. Travelling over to UK and South Africa to see our beloved families would bankrupt us not to mention the ill effect of long haul travel.

To sum up, I am back in Canada. I returned with a heavy heart but with a promise of a future in the UK. OH has finally agreed and will now discuss our leaving here in 2015. In the meantime I am going to get myself involved in some activities, and enjoy our last couple of years in Canada! I will also now start looking into our options for returning. Perhaps even do some studying, lose loads of weight and de-clutter everything that will not be needed.

Ps. Our youngest granddaughter made her acting debut in “Call the Midwife” as a baby in the baby competition they had and with my step-daughter as an extra. She has also been featured as a baby being examined in the clinic. We have yet to see the second episode here in Canada but we have some wonderful photos of them both 

WOW feelbritish, nice to see you back with your friends again on here, and what a nice thread, you really did go back quite a bit on the thread to find out about us dident you :didn'tpe you and hubby do give me a visit in Pompey, when you return, it will be nice to meet you, first beer on me ;)
take care and happy declutering, OMG thats the hardest Job, it was for me, and I would not want to have to do that again,
Rodney.

jasper123 Feb 22nd 2013 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10560678)
I think you did, Rodney, and I think it turned out to be a fabulous move for you :D

you got that right ;)

jasper123 Feb 22nd 2013 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10561667)
I went to boarding school with the mum of the bloke who won best British male solo and breakthrough artist - Ben Howard. Fabulously talented.

When I heard about the Las Vegas shootout, I thought of you immediately...and then I thought of Jackie :eek:

Hi Perth nice to see you posting again, yes I often wonder about Jackie, I hope her life turned out OK for her back in Vegas, and I hope that her health is good too,

shelley748 Feb 22nd 2013 11:06 pm

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}} keep the faith!

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 10562650)
NON Returning Ex-Pat Diary.....

Today was a really hard day. I finally called the movers to set a date for the furniture in storage to be brought to new address. That was really hard I am afraid I ended up in tears I just felt that it was the last straw that broke the donkeys back.....to me its the end of the dream and that's a 30 year dream. So much more is packed in those boxes than family items its a way of life and a sense of belonging. Its being independent and enjoying all those things we spoke about years ago on here. I started packing those boxes nearly 7 years ago just before we put the house up for sale, the estate agent thought it would be a good idea to get rid of the clutter:). We had an attic ladder installed and most of the boxes went into the attic. I think I counted over 100 boxes I think the oldies Jasper and so many others would remember that. I was reminded on here after we had discussions that it was not a good idea to take back alot of junk. So upstairs I went and waded through all the boxes and got rid of half of them. (That's a tip to all those planning to go home, before you box your items leave them out for a few days and make sure you really need and want to take those things with you). Then when we finally sold the house all those boxes had to be brought down and gone through again and I had a big garage sale and lots went to Salvation Army and charitable organizations. Electrical goods and items I knew I could buy cheaper in the UK rather than pay to have them shipped.

Unpacking those boxes is going to be even harder. I remember the thrill of packing the boxes and putting them away and saying to myself next time you open this you will be back in England I will be in a familiar place with people who I feel at home with no longer standing out as someone different. I will have my small home and be able to do so much more travel to the continent I was looking forward to that and all the museums I had those all ready to go.

Telling friends and relatives that I am not coming home has been even hard I feel like a failure or I have the idea that they think I was never really serious about going home.

The reality is and I will keep drumming this into you all well those who are not sure what to do, I should have done it sooner. I kept making excuses and listening to others. Your destiny is your 'own' you have to do whats right for you otherwise it gets taken out of your hands.
When you decide to sell your home don't try to go for the highest price go for a sellable price don't look at what's going on in the UK it doesn't matter that was our big mistake we looked at the UK housing market which had not fallen like the US and thought we had to ask a higher price for our home to be able to get one of a similar size in the UK. That simple fact is a house in the US is vastly different than one in the UK. In most cases much bigger my OH kept comparing the size of a house in the US to one's in the UK. Houses here are mainly built of wood not brick so they are bigger and cheaper to build but they also cost more to heat and maintain.
Its like comparing Apples to Oranges. Very different in all ways.

End of todays rant......

shelley748 Feb 22nd 2013 11:09 pm

I use unblockus.com

its really good and reliable.

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 10562777)
Cheers... I downloaded Hola and had nothing but trouble my computer froze and I could not do anything so I uninstalled it and went back to my ex-pat shield.. It does get adverts that annoy me at time but apart from that I have no problems with it, I connect and disconnect when I want to watch something or else I cannot open my mail. But is does me fine.

The two shows I watch here in the US are NCIS and Big Bang Theory apart from that its mainly PBS British Shows or computer Tele. My daughter bought Roko and I am going to get it when we move. We also have Netflix which I watch on my Ipad but when we move I will be able to watch it on my TV. I dont find a great many progams I like. Even UK shows I have to decide which I like. Vera I love Lewis I loved I was sad to watch the last one and then I loved New Tricks, Midsomer Murders and Downton Abbey but I was sad that they killed another of the cast off. But it is coming back.
Did someone say that they are doing another Foyles War. Will this be new episodes or repeats. I suppose if its new it will be after the War. Like someone said they could have gone on with more taking place during the War.

I am now going over to the Pub to get drunk:thumbsup:

jasper123 Feb 22nd 2013 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Homeiswheretheheartis (Post 10561766)
OMG did you hear the latest news flash? today there was a big three car shoot out in Vegas, las vegas blvd & flamingo, right in the heart of the strip, then the shoot out caused cars to collide into each other, a car went into a taxi and it burst into flames, there calling it the die hard shootings, four people dead, as you all know Vegas is my town I came from, Hmmmm seems to be getting even more dangerous there now, ---- me thinks maybe I got out of dodge just in time!!!![/QUOTE]

Wish I could say the same, I'm still stuck here in Vegas until Christmas and really struggling at the moment:(

I've obviously been here too long already as the news today didn't seem that shocking:eek:

Maybe, because this month so far on the strip there has been a stabbing, resulting in death and a shooting, resulting in two deaths. Also, a work friend of my husbands was mugged last week. That's only the strip, like many on here, reports of daily shootings/deaths are common place.

It takes all my will power to not grab my kids, tuck them under my arm and run to the airport as fast as I can.

homeis ---- dont worry Christmas will be here real quick, time tends to fly by with me, and then you and hubby will be back home and happy again, and you (WILL) benefit from your U.S. Vegas experience, even if it was only for 2 or 3 years,
Did you manage to hook up with any friends?
Take good care,
Rodney.

jasper123 Feb 22nd 2013 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Montfan72 (Post 10562025)
Ooh, thanks so much! This is where we dream of moving back too, if we can find jobs that is.

Isle of White is real nice, I love it there, in the summer I often take the short ferry ride over there and have a nice day out, normally pack a few sarnies, ;)