British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

J.JsOH Jan 17th 2013 12:51 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 10487690)
J.JsOH....Thankyou so much for your honest reply. It really helps to know the difficult time some have adjusting to moving back to the UK. I think of the UK as a small US we here have the same problems but over a far bigger area. You are similar to my husband he has never really wanted to move back to the UK and was doing it for me but then he is an American.

Your comments have been food for thought. I would find it much easier than my husband to settle back into life in the UK He has a routine here and he is very familiar with the way of life and the people. I listen to my family in the UK and even though they are not very happy with the way things are going they are not willing to do anything about it. They do alot of moaning about everything. But then they end it by saying they would not move away.

I think if we moved back financially we would be alright might not be able to afford as big a house but who needs it. I think the difference I see with those who are able in the UK they tend to travel more go on cruises, spend more time at the theatre, movies and dining out plus the ladies seem to spend much more time shopping or popping out for coffee with friends. Here in the US to do many of those things you have to travel many miles.

Thankyou for replying and thankyou for the good wishes. I have learnt to truly try and make the most of each day.

Most of our daily life has got back to what it was before we moved back and back to what we like to do.
A big change has been our retirement - but that is from work, not from life and we are occupied with plenty other than watching day time tv (but too much internet)

We do set aside two our-time leisure days a week, when we choose to go out and visit something, either a country hike, a town, a festival or a show (instead of movies) which isn't much different than our US activity.

On a day to day basis, instead of driving we can use public bus for shopping and town needs and hospital and train for further afield. We do have a car and use it couple times a week for leisure or for places not easily accessible by bus.

Whereas we used to weekly have date night at modern movies with good selection of films, the dusty old cinema near here is not so nice, limited films (3D cartoons are not for me) and we only been once in 2 yrs. Few eat popcorn so if you do there are plenty dirty looks if you dare make a crunching sound - but going with a cold and coughing and sneezing is apparently no problem.

That leads me to cold viruses. We catch a cold every few week since we been back whereas I maybe got one every couple years in US. Whether my resistance is less, or a higher exposure on buses and trains or that people here continue about their business spreading germs I don't know. We take all good precautions but continue to pick up colds.

We don't do coffee cafe's but plenty do and eating places in towns are plentiful, McDonald's crowded and Subway gets a queue out the door.

We do take foreign holidays as we have have always done.

We have a house of same value as was US but half the floor space. It is better insulated which helps to reduce energy bills, there is less cleaning, but I feel more closed in and limited on elbow room. It's a compromise, same as most things.

We feel that if we had not gone abroad to work then we would have been inclined to move abroad in retirement as many do.
We do dislike relocating so always seek to make our life happy wherever we are.

I'm sure that living in UK will not be a problem for us, some things are better, others worse, than life in US.

I'm reluctant to say things are good here because I'm apprehensive that some other unanticipated problem will present itself. So I settle for saying it is OK here.
I feel that I don't yet fully know the way society works because things changed since we been gone.

dunroving Jan 17th 2013 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 10485471)
dunroving.....Have you decided what you are going to do are you heading back to the US or are you staying in Scotland. I know ED is in Scotland and has not had a good time I have not heard from her in a while.

I am swithering at the moment. I know for sure I will NOT stay in Glasgow forever. No offence to Glaswegians, but it's too far north (colder, and much shorter winter days) and west (wetter) for my liking. Also, I feel more of a foreigner here than I ever did in the US.

My quality of life here is definitely lower than when I was in the US, for reasons specific to me: largely job satisfaction/university culture, and lifestyle - due to weather issues and much greater lack of free time time (see work culture, above, plus a 90-minute commute every day), I do far, far less outdoor activities, particularly cycling, which was a big part of my life there.

So, there have been some US job opportunities that I have found tempting (I would dearly love to get back to teaching at a US university) but have turned down. If the right job came up, I MIGHT be tempted, but my mindset is increasingly influenced by thoughts of retirement. My retirement package is HUGELY better here than the US - for each year worked, perhaps 2-3 times more monthly pension accrued, PLUS a big tax-free lump sum accrued.

So, I am working moore towards an attitude adjustment - can I adjust my way of thinking and working, and maybe even consider early retirement, phased retirement, and/or moving to an "easier" job at say 60 years.

As usual, watch this space. Life is all about compromise, I just need to figure out which compromise to make (quality of life now, or in retirement, essentially).

trottytrue Jan 18th 2013 1:55 am

Jasper123.....Yes I know what you mean we just had a meeting with our health broker and he went through our Humana healthcare plan. We now pay $30 a month per person and have a deductable of $4,700. Once we have paid that the inurance pays the rest. Otherwise we pay a percentage of each bill. Moe did get his prescriptions free as long as he goes with the generic one. He does have two that dont have generic but if his doctor writes a note to the insurance he can get a waiver.

I thought when I have some time I would write a few postings on getting older in the US and making the hard decision as to whether to go home or not. I will do a little at a time. It might help those who are playing the waiting game.:)

Jerseygirl Jan 18th 2013 2:07 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 10490030)
Jasper123.....Yes I know what you mean we just had a meeting with our health broker and he went through our Humana healthcare plan. We now pay $30 a month per person and have a deductable of $4,700. Once we have paid that the inurance pays the rest. Otherwise we pay a percentage of each bill. Moe did get his prescriptions free as long as he goes with the generic one. He does have two that dont have generic but if his doctor writes a note to the insurance he can get a waiver.

I thought when I have some time I would write a few postings on getting older in the US and making the hard decision as to whether to go home or not. I will do a little at a time. It might help those who are playing the waiting game.:)

That's a brilliant idea. :thumbsup:

sallysimmons Jan 18th 2013 7:30 am

JJsOH, something you said really struck a chord. You said you have now stopped noticing the things that once annoyed you. I remember reading some of your posts and wondering about the things you mentioned simply because I hadn't experienced them. But now I think it's maybe all about what you notice - and in turn perhaps that comes from where you are mentally.

The old cliche is 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' and perhaps that's true. Now I admit I'm very lucky where I live now. I saw in some recent survey it was the 4th happiest town in the whole country and I'm not surprised, because it's lovely. But then again Norwich was on the same top 10 list.

The other day we went up to visit our new house and the going was a little bit tough. It's up in the hills and some of the roads were a little bit icy. But OMG the views! (I put some photos on my blog here: http://fingerrollsandfoldingchairs.w...ful-than-this/) It was so beautiful! When we got back, a friend who lives quite near that area, was moaning about the snow. I told him to get his car out the next morning and drive up there to see the views. I thought it would be a joy for him. But what did he say when he got back? "Those roads were really tricky. I was glad to get back down to town." He didn't even really see the scenery!

So what gave me real joy and a genuinely spiritual feeling made him stressed and unhappy.

That's why I really believe that those coming back have to think through why they're really coming, and what they love about where they are now.

If you're leaving behind things you love, you will miss them when you're here and that will tarnish your views of everything else. You might be happier just staying where you are. And if you come back anyway, you'll be happier if you can somehow close off that part of your life and begin the new phase with a willingness to see the positives of your new home and the ability to accept and then look past the negatives. Easier said than done I know, but I've come to think it's the secret to happiness wherever you live.

jasper123 Jan 18th 2013 10:44 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 10490030)

Avril what a wonderful Idea to make that list, it would be a lot of help to people who are still deciding to make the big move back home, and also for the people like me who have already made the move and are settled here, it will show us how lucky we really are being home :)

Just interested about your Humana HMO $30 per month each for premium,
is that your additional supplemental insurance? but you still have to pay your regular Medicare monthly payments that are deducted from your S/S each month dont you? like most retired people over 65 have around $140 deducted from there Social Security dont they?
Take care Avril,
and look after yourself, and how is your hubby now? better I hope!!!!
Rodney.

jasper123 Jan 18th 2013 11:00 am

Sally absolutely lovely photos, love the snow, in Pompey we got our first snow of the year this morning, its coming down quite heavy too, the streets are covered in it, quite deep already, and the trees look so beautiful covered in snow, Love it!!!! :)
thank goodness I went out yesterday and did all the shopping, but I have to leave now and go to the Surgery to pick up Mums prescriptions and get them filled, Im looking forward to the walk, I got my snow boots out today, so my feet will stay nice & dry & warm ;)

sallysimmons Jan 18th 2013 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10490663)
Sally absolutely lovely photos, love the snow, in Pompey we got our first snow of the year this morning, its coming down quite heavy too, the streets are covered in it, quite deep already, and the trees look so beautiful covered in snow, Love it!!!! :)

Yes, I gather you have much more than we have at the moment. It's not snowing here although I understand it's expected tonight.

dontheturner Jan 18th 2013 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10490762)
Yes, I gather you have much more than we have at the moment. It's not snowing here although I understand it's expected tonight.

Hello Louise, Everything you say is quite true! Tim, sees everything as, ''how beautiful it is here in England! Wish Thailand was like this!'' - me? this weather, and I'm moaning, about ''wish I was in Thailand, again!'' - Oh for the summer! Snow is about 4'' - Take care. Don

J.JsOH Jan 18th 2013 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10490344)
JJsOH, something you said really struck a chord. You said you have now stopped noticing the things that once annoyed you. I remember reading some of your posts and wondering about the things you mentioned simply because I hadn't experienced them. But now I think it's maybe all about what you notice - and in turn perhaps that comes from where you are mentally.

The old cliche is 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' and perhaps that's true. Now I admit I'm very lucky where I live now. I saw in some recent survey it was the 4th happiest town in the whole country and I'm not surprised, because it's lovely. But then again Norwich was on the same top 10 list.

The other day we went up to visit our new house and the going was a little bit tough. It's up in the hills and some of the roads were a little bit icy. But OMG the views! (I put some photos on my blog here: http://fingerrollsandfoldingchairs.w...ful-than-this/) It was so beautiful! When we got back, a friend who lives quite near that area, was moaning about the snow. I told him to get his car out the next morning and drive up there to see the views. I thought it would be a joy for him. But what did he say when he got back? "Those roads were really tricky. I was glad to get back down to town." He didn't even really see the scenery!

So what gave me real joy and a genuinely spiritual feeling made him stressed and unhappy.

That's why I really believe that those coming back have to think through why they're really coming, and what they love about where they are now.

If you're leaving behind things you love, you will miss them when you're here and that will tarnish your views of everything else. You might be happier just staying where you are. And if you come back anyway, you'll be happier if you can somehow close off that part of your life and begin the new phase with a willingness to see the positives of your new home and the ability to accept and then look past the negatives. Easier said than done I know, but I've come to think it's the secret to happiness wherever you live.

Maybe that..., I suspect I was more acclimatized to the USA than I imagined and while I wasn't consciously comparing, the nitty gritty of life in the UK was, well, more gritty than I recalled or had seen on visits back. UK was disappointing relative to expectations, we didn't do (and see) the things that tourists regard as cute, I saw the dirtier, scruffier, rougher side of things that appeared to have degraded since our previous life here because it stood out as :eek: and absent from the norm of my US life.

aries Jan 18th 2013 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 10491156)
Maybe that..., I suspect I was more acclimatized to the USA than I imagined and while I wasn't consciously comparing, the nitty gritty of life in the UK was, well, more gritty than I recalled or had seen on visits back. UK was disappointing relative to expectations, we didn't do (and see) the things that tourists regard as cute, I saw the dirtier, scruffier, rougher side of things that appeared to have degraded since our previous life here because it stood out as :eek: and absent from the norm of my US life.

You've hit the nail on the head for me after living for half a century in Austalia.

However I've been consciously comparing, and at times find it difficult to come to terms with how things are now in the UK. At times I'm very depressed seeing run down shopping centres and suburban streets, but perhaps my home town was not the best place for me to live again. In Australia I had become used to big, bright and cheerful indoor shopping centres, with of course spacious new suburbs springing up, so the tightness here with appalling difficulties for buses trying to manouvre through vehicle cluttered roads, is a bit of a culture shock.

trottytrue Jan 19th 2013 12:06 am

I think there are a few things that can make returning to the UK disappointing one being if you hope it's going to be the same as when you left it or even close thats not going to happen. Things have changed in some areas far worse that others. I think on the whole at this time rural life is not as affected as a busy Town life or City life. But if you choose rural then you have to have money to buy and we have looked and they do not come cheap. Yes you can buy some homes that are less expensive but many need a great deal of updating and when you are older you don't feel like going through all that so you settle for a smaller home.

The problem in many areas is builders, they are trying to buy up spare land and venture into green belt areas to the detriment of the land and the towns. Recently Sandbach Cheshire had a builder who wanted to build over 650 houses plus a supermarket and other shops. This just puts added pressure on the towns plus the inevatable happens shops in the town suffer and close. Thankfully the residents of Sandbach marched against it and won. The developement was rejected.But in how many other areas has this happend and gone ahead.
Chester has suffered dearly from over building and in some cases terrible architecture. Unfortunately once a beautiful building is pulled down by these greedy developers there is no going back. Part of the Town centre was demolished years ago and some awful building replaced it. Years later they discovered the mistake and are still trying to rectify it. Also awful ringroads sprang up. Shopping centres on the outskirts of town. Ask my family how they hate those ringroads. Trying to get into Chester for local residents is a nightmare. Shops in the City centre are empty or full of stupid shops just meant for the visitors. Gone are the shops that kept the centre vibrant.
Perhaps one of these days people will realize that buying food in a supermarket is not all its cracked up to be. Look at the labels and see were your food comes from not the local farmer.

Another problem is the Social atmosphere has changed. I find that many people have an attitude of I am owed that money. People no longer see living on the State as something to be ashamed of its more of how much can I get and when can I get it. Television Movies and computers have made matters worse. People just dont care I can remember when I was young if you swore you got a clip around the ear or in my case I was just too scared to say a bad word. Nowadays it just pours out of peoples mouths. Society has to change and I am not sure it is willing to do so. Its very easy to have children it really is hard to bring them up to be willing to give up your time to actually bring up your own children.
My half sister lives outside of London is horrified at the way things are. She has a neighbour who just keeps on having children she and her husband dont work and nor do many of their children. As long as this is allowed nothing will get better.
When I grew up my Dad worked hard. We had very little in the way of creature comforts but we did have two parents and food on the table and strict rules. I had to laugh the other night they were doing a program here in the US on welfare recipiants well it seemed to me that they were lacking very little apart from a job. Large TV, cell phones, cars, foods stamps which pay for far more than food. So its just not the UK that needs fixing.

My lecture is over. But I worry that future generations will not know what real family life if like. It will be something they read about in History books.

trottytrue Jan 19th 2013 12:34 am

Now my rant is over. I will start my Diary on Life of an Ex-pats return to the UK or not:)

Just to fill in briefly for those who were not on this forum in the beginning.

I married a US Citizen in 1972. Came to the US did not like it returned to the UK stayed 7 years then returned to the US. Reseason for returning were when I look back stupid but to late to moan.
We lived in Florida first way too hot and sticky then moved to California to crowded in the area we lived. Moved to Rhode Island were we stayed for 19 years. I made the decision to become part of the life if not for my sake but for my childrens. I was happy but never completely. It was always my goal to return back to the UK one day.

We had 3 children born in the UK but by the 80's all American. Couldnt take them back to UK. They all went off to University then I really began to get homesick. My Mother got ill but like many of you will understand with three teenagers in College I could not afford to go back for holidays.

My husband was made redundant in the late 90's and after a year he managed to get another job in NH we moved up here to get some money together to build up that nest egg again.

We finally thought we could make it in the UK so we put the house on the Market just prior to the housing slump. I got all our 3 dogs fitted with chips and all had their rabies updated. We were on our way. As soon as the house sold my husband would retire. 6 years later we were still here. My 3 beautiful dogs had passed away my Mother had died and my brother.

We finally sold the house and as most of you know shortly after we moved into a rental and were waiting for our return to the UK furniture in international storage ready for the UK. But fate took a hand. We had been in the rental for just 1 month when I was diagnosed with cancer. I had my op and then 6 months of chemo. That ended back in July of last year. Since then my husband became sick and is not well. I am doing fine. We now have one dog and are staying with our daughter till we decide what to do. My husband is having Coronary angioplasty and stents next Friday. My hope is they find nothing too bad.

So now we are up to date and I will fill you in the next chapters which I am sure will be the hardest. But I think the one lesson learned is do not wait too long to return home as there never is a right time. The next few weeks will be interesting. I wonder which side of me will win. One point for those returning it is much easier to return home if you leave no one behind but leaving behind children and grandchildren is hard. For me its leaving behind my daughter that is the hardest.

Jasper123....Yes we do pay $140 per month from our Social Security. I cannot complain about any of the medical care we have had. My cancer care was the best and my husband only went to his doctor last week for a check up and talked about the mild pain in his chest. An appointment was made to see a specialist which was today and the proceedure is being done next Friday. Today when he went to see the doctor I was suprised how organized my husbands file was. The doctor had everything in the file for the past 10 years from all the operations he had and all the tests and results he had had.

cheers Jan 19th 2013 2:01 am

I hope all goes well for you Trotty or put another way, I hope your husband is like brand new after his treatment.

I got my passport today.

Yesterday I started on insulin.

I appear to be over my bronchitis and feel good.

Life is good, Say I as I sit in my bedroom, away from TV, and listen on the radio to oldies, Such bliss, and using my iPad.

Today is nice because I can look at the snow in England from photos from Fingers and the media.

Cheers

J.JsOH Jan 19th 2013 10:38 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 10491988)
Look at the labels and see were your food comes from not the local farmer.

In Sainsbury's recently there were some nice looking spring onions (scallions in US speak). I wouldn't have expected these to be from UK but at least from EU, possibly greenhouse grown in Netherlands but no, they had come from Mexico !!