British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

sallysimmons Jan 21st 2013 12:26 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Homeiswheretheheartis (Post 10495469)

It is one of the main reasons I do not like or enjoy the US as much as I could. What is even stranger is that I know I am returning at the end of this year, but when I hear the lasted mad political choice, it still bothers me.

Ha! Trust me it doesn't get any better when you get here. We still read the US newspapers online and rant to each other, and then we have to remind ourselves that those people are not governing us and it doesn't matter anymore :lol:

fulwood Jan 21st 2013 2:19 pm

Dunroving, no I haven't made any payments. Most of my adult life has been spent in US. I'll look into it though. Thanks..

Mummy in the foothills Jan 21st 2013 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 10495468)
Diary of an Ex-pat part 3....

Today my daughter approached me with the idea that I should go home but instead of buying a home rent one that way if I needed to return to the US it would be much easier. As I like Rodney and Charleygirl got my US Citizenship I would not be confined to staying in the UK for a certain amount of time. At the time I was reticent about getting it but now I am glad I did.

She sounds very sensible.

westwind Jan 21st 2013 4:15 pm

Totty True - it is dilema isn't it! I prevaricated so much over the years before finally making the decision to return 'home'. I changed my mind with each day! And then I was diagnosed with cancer in 2010. I had brilliant treatment in Oz and am now in remission. I think it was because of the cancer that I finally made up my mind. Although I had lived in Oz for many years and was not unhappy there, the pull of England had grown stronger the older I got. Sand, sea and surf had started to lose their appeal and I missed the beautiful English countryside, the N.T properties, birdsong, old churches, a good old english pub, the humour of people - oh the list could go on. We arrived back in April last year - to one of the wettest summers on record! Have to admit it did take me a good six months to re-adjust. But I'm happy with our decision and although we are still currently renting, we are hoping to purchase in 2013 becuase now I know that this is where I want to be. I would definately agree with your daughter. Come and rent for 6/12 months before making that final decision. It is true what so many say - we only have one life and I didn't want to be on my death bed thinking .....if only. Good luck to you whatever you decide.

cheers Jan 21st 2013 6:37 pm

Another of the cast is leaving Downton Abbey series.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...Hollywood.html

So you know

jasper123 Jan 21st 2013 10:46 pm

[QUOTE=trottytrue;

perthhomeschool...Dont slip into lurkdom we can disagree on subjects doesnt mean we cannot be forum friends. I did say it would be awful dull if we all thought the same way. I am not offended. Just putting another point of view.:) My dear friend Rodney I know is a libby well I think he is but thats fine by me he is a lovely person. My brother and I were at opposite ends of the poles on politics but I loved him dearly and still miss him we had some really lively debates.[/QUOTE]

Avril, Ive never voted in America but my views have pretty much always been Democrat, but then again my very best friend in all the World Art in Vegas is an American and he and all his family has always been republican,
Many years ago I learned never to ever talk politics with him, I could never win :D
I cant even begin to tell you how absolutely fantastico it is to read you posts again, :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed: for your husband for Friday,
Take good care
Rodney. xx

cheers Jan 21st 2013 11:28 pm

Here today in the US and on TV we have the Presidential Inauguration on all day. Makes me sick. What a waist of money!

We get told everyday how broke the country is and how we are going to cut back on the benefits for seniors. Sick!

Today's events I'm sure will run a billion dollars, all on credit.

It would be nice if we lived in a democracy where those elected represented the people. That day has long gone or is a dream.

We would have hoped that Barack could change things but he is only one man against a broken and corrupt Washington.

I trust the government in the UK so much more. Night and day.

Cheers

Jerseygirl Jan 22nd 2013 12:12 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10497453)
Here today in the US and on TV we have the Presidential Inauguration on all day. Makes me sick. What a waist of money!

We get told everyday how broke the country is and how we are going to cut back on the benefits for seniors. Sick!

Today's events I'm sure will run a billion dollars, all on credit.

It would be nice if we lived in a democracy where those elected represented the people. That day has long gone or is a dream.

We would have hoped that Barack could change things but he is only one man against a broken and corrupt Washington.

I trust the government in the UK so much more. Night and day.

Cheers

I can understand it for a new president...but he isn't.

trottytrue Jan 22nd 2013 12:54 am

Jerseygirl....Yes if its the first time then I can understand wanting a big parade but given the situation here at the moment then I find spending all this money really annoying. Especially when you know its our money they are spending. I think second time around should be just a small affair. Cheese and crackers:)

westwind..I am so glad you are happy I think once you have been really ill you realize how precious life it. I live close to the ocean but I would trade it all for a terraced house in some little town close to my friends. If we do return it will be a rental for the first year. I will always yearn for home even if I stay.

Jasper....Yes my brother and I really didnt see things the same but we never took it seriously and had great fun with it. He would love to get our Dad going and then he would turn around and walk out the door. Leaving our Dad with steam coming out of his ears. Its nice to be back Rodney;)

Mummy in the foothills...Yes she is very sensible and also very caring I could not have gone through last year without her humour and kindness.

Sallysimmons....Do you think different parts of the UK have different opinions on politics. I know my friend down south votes labour and my friend in Chester is conservative. When I watch the results coming in for different parts of the country they always seem to know which way a certain part is going to vote. Not unlike here in the US. Your comments on your friends with cancer and the treatment they are getting is good to know unlike where my brother lives in Lancashire outside Preston its a very different story. They do not have good healthcare and they try and avoid their local hospital at all costs.

trottytrue Jan 22nd 2013 1:12 am

Derrygal...Yes if I do stay it would because of family I'm still breathing so I am thankful for that. :D Who knows what the future will hold. Life is never dull. As my Mother use to say 'You never know whats just around the corner'.

Fulwood....If you have good friends here then I am not sure what I would do. You are still in the grieving stage for your brother so give it some time. You are young so you have plenty of time to plan my advice is that if you do want to go back dont wait till you are much older it gets harder perhaps when you go back for a holiday you can see what type of employement would be open to you and save as much as you can.

trottytrue Jan 22nd 2013 1:20 am

Ex-pat returning diary.. Homesickness is not just for us Brits.

Today was my meet up with other cancer survivors. We get together and paint. One of the girls is Greek her Mother came over from Greece before the Second World War. My friend said that for most of her life her Mother long to go home but never did. My friend also made me realize what a vast place the US is. She lived in Wisconson and her best friend was from NH she had lived in Wisconson for years had her family and they had grown up. She longed to move back to NH but realized she would never be able to because she could not leave her family. See even here people long to go home. My friend said that she decided at that very moment she would not stay in Wisconson and have her family so she got her husband to move back to NH and that wa 30 years ago and she never regretted it.

Irish Guinness Jan 22nd 2013 4:06 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 10487631)
To all on the forum thought we needed a laugh:):)

If My Body Was a Car!
This is just too funny - scary how true it is!!!
If my body were a car, this is the time I would be thinking about trading it in for a newer model. I've got bumps and dents and scratches in my finish and my paint job is getting a little dull...
But that's not the worst of it.

My headlights are out of focus
and it's especially hard to see things up close

My traction is not as graceful as it once was. I slip and slide and skid and bump into things even in the best of weather.

My whitewalls are stained with varicose veins.

It takes me hours to reach my maximum speed. My fuel rate burns inefficiently.

But here's the worst of it,

Almost every time I sneeze, cough or sputter,
Either My Radiator Leaks or My Exhaust Backfires!

:rofl::rofl:

great !! loved it !!!

sallysimmons Jan 22nd 2013 8:36 am

I loved the inauguration. I think it's an important celebration of democracy and I always watch, even when my candidate didn't win. I don't get the money argument anymore than I get it when people say it about the Royal Family spending money on weddings and jubilees. *shrugs*

I didn't think the music guests were very good but I suppose it's hard to sing in those conditions.

It was weird watching from over here and realizing that last time I watched President Obama take the oath of office, I was in America with no thought of leaving. Now here I am a few weeks away from owning a house in England. Weird!

jasper123 Jan 22nd 2013 9:20 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10498130)

It was weird watching from over here and realizing that last time I watched President Obama take the oath of office, I was in America with no thought of leaving. Now here I am a few weeks away from owning a house in England. Weird!

Thats interesting, I read your words and realized that applies to me also, it just seems like yesterday that Obama was elected president, but its been 4 years, and I was still in America (WITHOUT) a single thought of returning home, I was quite happy there, and now Ive been home over 2 years now,
and as it turned out for me Im so glad I made the big move :)

trottytrue Jan 22nd 2013 2:26 pm

Jasper and Sally....Amazing what can happen in a short period of time. I think Sally's move went quicker than any. Being fortunate to sell her house almost immediately. By the way how did the cats do. I missed most of your move so didnt read about it. I know one was quite old.

The differernce between the Queens celebrations and the President is we get a new President every 4 years not so with the Queen. It was good that the weather was nice no snow. I just think in times when the economy is in difficulty attention should be paid to wasteful spending. I also think far to much money is spent on electing a President and it goes on for way too long.