British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

black swan Dec 23rd 2012 1:10 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Cheers asked the question 'do you think people in England are better off today than 50yrs ago?'.

Rodney, I was 21yrs old 50yrs ago . . . 5yrs older than you. I don't remember people claiming benefits back then. Everyone that I knew had a job. Most couples married young & started a family straight away. They looked forward to a second income when the children were off their hands.
Although I have'nt been to England since 1993 (I am in West Aust) I would think people today are much better off.
Paula

Bud the Wiser Dec 23rd 2012 1:20 pm

There's the poverty of need and the poverty of want. The poverty of need is virtually non existent in the UK in 2012. The poverty of want however is causing much hardship.

islandwoman120 Dec 23rd 2012 3:18 pm

Christmas/Seasons Greetings to all. As the world did not end last week, here's to a great 2013. All the best, Rosie:)

scot47 Dec 23rd 2012 3:52 pm

50 years ago the UK still had full employment. The huge rise in unemployment started in 1973. That was the effective end of the post-WW2 boom. "You never had it so good, " as a Scottish PM said.

Celticspirit Dec 23rd 2012 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 10447983)
Christmas/Seasons Greetings to all. As the world did not end last week, here's to a great 2013. All the best, Rosie:)

How are you doing Rosie? Is life in the UK being kind to you? Merry Christmas to you :-)

mikelincs Dec 23rd 2012 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by black swan (Post 10447892)
Cheers asked the question 'do you think people in England are better off today than 50yrs ago?'.

Rodney, I was 21yrs old 50yrs ago . . . 5yrs older than you. I don't remember people claiming benefits back then. Everyone that I knew had a job. Most couples married young & started a family straight away. They looked forward to a second income when the children were off their hands.
Although I have'nt been to England since 1993 (I am in West Aust) I would think people today are much better off.
Paula

50 years ago being 'on benefits' was looked on as a social stigma, and everyone tried their hardest to stay away from them, even in the late 1990's my stepfather was dying from lung cancer, and needed help round the house, he did apply for help, but as he didn't want the authorities to know just what money he had he was denied it because he didn't fill the form in well enough. It was only after he had been admitted to a hospice, and I had hold of his form to make a new application did things happen. I thought that as he was in the hospice he couldn't claim, but the people there took the form away and said they would deal with it. 4 weeks later he received about 9 months nack benefit, The award came a week after he died.

sallysimmons Dec 24th 2012 8:24 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10446794)
Since you are over 50 can I ask you if you think people in the UK are much better off today than 50 years ago?

My response is yes. I think the standard of living has increase considerably over the 70 years that I have been around.

I don't know about 50 years, but they're better off than they were 30 years ago - by miles!

islandwoman120 Dec 24th 2012 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 10448004)
How are you doing Rosie? Is life in the UK being kind to you? Merry Christmas to you :-)

Hi Celtic - Yes, all fine with me here in Devon. Thanks for asking. Hope you are well too - I have not 'tuned in' for a long while so don't know who is where in the world now. Will catch up over the break. All the best, Rosie

Pica Dec 24th 2012 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10446855)
Decent coffee and tea is available - but 90 percent of the populace seem to be happy with Instant and Teabags. Sodding savages !

Where did I put my Turkish coffee-pot ? (To the aficionado it is called a "jezbeh"!)

I may have been a Janissary in a previous life. I certainly miss Istanbul ! And all the finer things of the Ottoman Empire !

The Bimbashi

So what made you swap Istanbul for Scotland then?

scot47 Dec 24th 2012 4:50 pm

I did not work in Istanbul but used to pass through from my work (KSA) to my residence (BG). Divorce (or "relationship breakdown" in Newspeak) and the need for a place to lay my head after retirement !

UkWinds5353 Dec 25th 2012 7:13 am

Merry Christmas everyone wish you and yours happy holidays. Hope you have plenty turkey and dressing!

dontheturner Dec 25th 2012 7:30 am

A Very Merry Christmas, and the Seasons Greetings, to those already returned, to those planning to return, and to all our numbers, who are longing to fulfill those same dreams.

From Don & the lovely Tippawan.

mikelincs Dec 25th 2012 7:41 am

Merry Christmas everyone..

lf1 Dec 25th 2012 7:44 am

Merry Christmas to all.

Rainy and grey here today, but the fire is on, the carols are playing and OH is cooking breakfast, complete with black pudding. After breakfast we'll open our gifts and I am sure OH will be over the moon with his gravy separator and clothes peg bag. I did buy him a bottle of Highland Park to help him recover from the excitement of it all.:lol:

Celticspirit Dec 25th 2012 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10449872)
Merry Christmas to all.

Rainy and grey here today, but the fire is on, the carols are playing and OH is cooking breakfast, complete with black pudding. After breakfast we'll open our gifts and I am sure OH will be over the moon with his gravy separator and clothes peg bag. I did buy him a bottle of Highland Park to help him recover from the excitement of it all.:lol:

Merry Christmas to everyone!!
We have had thunderstorms and rain all night long with temperatures dropping and snow forecast from this afternoon and overnight. Fire already lit and its warm and cosy inside.