British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

jasper123 Jan 7th 2013 10:16 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10467888)
Sorry to hear about your moms illness Rod. I hopes she is on the mend.
Fullwood, Sorry about you losing your brother. Chin up!
I've not been contributing much because I haven't figured out how to write from my ipad.
That said, I've got bronchitis and I've had it about 2 weeks. I'm on medication and under the doctor.

Cheers

Thanks cheers,
I was getting worried about you, I do hope your bronchitis clears up soon,

Fullwood,
Yes I m sorry too about your loss,

Derrygal Jan 7th 2013 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 10466299)
Thanks for your reply Derrygal. The fact that your city is the first winner in this culture competition says everything for Derry's stamina in spite of incredible odds.
Now I am very scared as the past two weeks are a big reminder from the 70's in Belfast. We left in 1972...,my husband was a senior registrar anesthetist in Newry...Border town with the republic. We had to take our one year son out of his bedroom into a windowless corridor on a regular basis when the gunfire was whining overhead.
I love it that your children live close and new baby is on the way:-) both of my children are now long time New Yorkers. They are free thinkers.... Psychiatrist and lawyer ...so not such a huge difference between NYC travel wise and NYC and Belfast.
My best to another Norn Irelander xx

The rioting in Belfast is very scary - there is absolutely no excuse for this violence. I was there in October (both in Derry and Belfast) and everything was quiet and I had a great time. Lots of new pubs, restaurants, theatres opened. I would hate for N Ireland to go back to the violence of the 70s again. Lets hope that doesn't happen.

Mummy in the foothills Jan 8th 2013 1:14 am

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde (Post 10468118)
Happy New Year everyone! (Ill be 47 in three weeks so can I join??)

Just 10/11 weeks till i return....what a year its going to be! xx

All the best to you all! :thumbsup:

I wasn't 50 when I joined this thread etiher, I finally got there last Spring and Dh and I will be 51 soon :eek: the time is flying by.
So now you have read the whole lot (kudos by the way) you must know us all so well, :rofl:

Celticspirit Jan 8th 2013 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10470117)
Thanks cheers,
I was getting worried about you, I do hope your bronchitis clears up soon,

Fullwood,
Yes I m sorry too about your loss,

Fulwood, I am so sorry to hear of your brother's passing. Pease take good care of yourself. Somehow I must have missed your posting.

cheers Jan 10th 2013 12:22 am

Do u think Obama should interfere in the UK decision to leave the EC?

Jerseygirl Jan 10th 2013 12:29 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10474424)

The US meddle with almost everything else that's happening in the world...so why not. :sneaky:

trottytrue Jan 10th 2013 1:06 am

He could become the PrimeMinister.....

Hope you feel better soon Cheers. If you type in the search bar 'How to type on my IPad' it will give you instrucitions. I just find it hard on the IPad as my fingers tend to slip onto other letters but you get use to it.

cheers Jan 10th 2013 2:51 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 10474459)

Hope you feel better soon Cheers. If you type in the search bar 'How to type on my IPad' it will give you instrucitions. I just find it hard on the IPad as my fingers tend to slip onto other letters but you get use to it.

I've made a lot of progress since I last wrote. I think it is because I went to get the last upgrade about an hour ago.

About the health. I go out each day and today I fell really tired when I was out. I came home and jumped into bed for awhile.

My son gave me a styles for Christmas but even so I do alright with typing. My problem was being signed in and not knowing password. I am alright now.

Cheers

jasper123 Jan 10th 2013 11:42 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10474424)

Apparently it wasn't Obama who made the statement ------ but it was one of his top rank jerks in his government, ---- I think Obama is a little embarrassed about the remark, he will probably get a good ticking off by Obama when Obama returns to U.S.

Get plenty of rest cheers, and take care of yourself,
Rodney.

sallysimmons Jan 10th 2013 11:49 am

If Obama thinks that Britain leaving the EU would damage the world economy, then he needs to speak up. That's his job as President of his country, isn't it?

I am having a really hard time finding factual analysis of the pluses and minuses of our leaving. It's easy to find a lot of emotional stuff about Brussels bureacracy and PC laws gone mad, but not any actual detailed explanation of the pluses and minuses. I suppose I kind of assume we'd suffer economically, but I don't know by how much. If anyone knows of such information, I'd be thrilled to get a link.

dunroving Jan 10th 2013 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10475092)
If Obama thinks that Britain leaving the EU would damage the world economy, then he needs to speak up. That's his job as President of his country, isn't it?

I am having a really hard time finding factual analysis of the pluses and minuses of our leaving. It's easy to find a lot of emotional stuff about Brussels bureacracy and PC laws gone mad, but not any actual detailed explanation of the pluses and minuses. I suppose I kind of assume we'd suffer economically, but I don't know by how much. If anyone knows of such information, I'd be thrilled to get a link.

I wish there was a clearer (Dummy's Guide, maybe?) analysis of the situation, especially the financial/economic side of things. As much as the media here are generally better than the US, I find the various sides bandy about sensational figures but there is often no source for the information. I read a lot about the obscene costs of maintaining the EU bureacratic machinery (the expenses of MEPs, for example, are completely out of control in comparison to the MP scandals, or so I read). I'm not sure there is an equivalent benefit, economically, that would justify the expense of maintaining a huge bureaucratic machinery.

My overall impression is that the EU has just got out of hand in terms of the extent of enforced legislation on the member nations. The whole thing about throwing millions of dead fish back into the sea rather than sell them (because of the EU-mandated restrictions on cod fishing, etc.) just seems insane. Also, we seem to be spending a bucketload bailing out several nations who have gone down the cr*pper since 2008. I feel like my taxes already go too far bailing out banks and paying for people to sit on their *rses for years, without extending that to the rest of Europe.

Rant over - yes, I'd like more information too!

mikelincs Jan 10th 2013 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 10474459)

We fully understand.. :rofl:

sallysimmons Jan 11th 2013 6:52 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10475137)
I wish there was a clearer (Dummy's Guide, maybe?) analysis of the situation, especially the financial/economic side of things. As much as the media here are generally better than the US, I find the various sides bandy about sensational figures but there is often no source for the information. I read a lot about the obscene costs of maintaining the EU bureacratic machinery (the expenses of MEPs, for example, are completely out of control in comparison to the MP scandals, or so I read). I'm not sure there is an equivalent benefit, economically, that would justify the expense of maintaining a huge bureaucratic machinery.

My overall impression is that the EU has just got out of hand in terms of the extent of enforced legislation on the member nations. The whole thing about throwing millions of dead fish back into the sea rather than sell them (because of the EU-mandated restrictions on cod fishing, etc.) just seems insane. Also, we seem to be spending a bucketload bailing out several nations who have gone down the cr*pper since 2008. I feel like my taxes already go too far bailing out banks and paying for people to sit on their *rses for years, without extending that to the rest of Europe.

Rant over - yes, I'd like more information too!

Glad it's not just me.

One thing I find about the British media is that they tend to start any article right in the middle of the debate and never go back to explain the history. I found the same thing with the new healthcare reforms. Instinctively I'm against them because I don't trust the Tories with the NHS, but I understand that's my personal bias, and would at least like to be sure I have a basis in fact for my opinions. Otherwise I'm no better than the average Fox News viewer who hates everything Obama does simply because of who he is.

I found the most background on the BBC website, but even then, it was only half the story.

On the EU, I hear all the negatives all the time, but people like Nick Clegg and Ed Milliband must have reasons for believing its in our best interests, whether or not they are good reasons. I'd like to hear them articulated clearly so I can decide for myself. Especially as, again purely instinctively, if Boris Johnson is anti something, I tend to immediately spring to the other side in my mind! Then again, even a broken clock is right twice a day :lol:

Mummy in the foothills Jan 11th 2013 4:04 pm

Yesterday my Dh bought suitcases :thumbsup:, a whole set, and for him that is a huge step, he doesn't usually buy anything unless it is absolutely essential. He must be mentally packing along with me. I have been collecting cardboard boxes, all the ones that the Christmas deliveries came in, the spare room is looking like a box factory. :lol:

Celticspirit Jan 12th 2013 2:47 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10477536)
Yesterday my Dh bought suitcases :thumbsup:, a whole set, and for him that is a huge step, he doesn't usually buy anything unless it is absolutely essential. He must be mentally packing along with me. I have been collecting cardboard boxes, all the ones that the Christmas deliveries came in, the spare room is looking like a box factory. :lol:

Congrats.....one step forward :-)
My week has been very sad. My husband went to court on Monday and the judge finalized our divorce decree. It is sad to report that I was so emotional my husband talked me from being there as the judge would have questioned our decision. It was the right thing to move forward. Now what? Belfast is in a state of chaos????
I feel like a major loser.......first husband + girlfriend = divorce (23 years and 2 children)
Second marriage ......15 + years $750,00 now poor :-(
Secon