British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

trottytrue Jan 13th 2013 6:02 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Fullwood...Sounds like you have a good plan, going home for a month. Losing someone is at times overwhelming and just when you think you are getting though it, all it takes is a song or some long forgotten memory or a picture and it all comes back. When my brother died a couple of years ago I would sometimes wake up and not remember he was gone and for one brief second I felt happy then realization would move in and I was back to square one but over the last year I have been remembering our happy times together and being ill made me realize whats important in life.

fulwood Jan 13th 2013 8:25 pm

Trottytrue, thank you for you comments. I know you have been ill so thank you for taking the time. I have even this past week experienced belief he is not gone. I can hear his voice in my head saying "Caz can you make me cup of tea".. Yes his illness and death have shown me more than just words that people say that life is short. UK is top of my list for right now. Thank you and I hope you are well..

cheers Jan 13th 2013 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 10480793)
Fullwood...Sounds like you have a good plan, going home for a month. Losing someone is at times overwhelming and just when you think you are getting though it, all it takes is a song or some long forgotten memory or a picture and it all comes back. When my brother died a couple of years ago I would sometimes wake up and not remember he was gone and for one brief second I felt happy then realization would move in and I was back to square one but over the last year I have been remembering our happy times together and being ill made me realize whats important in life.

TT I'm guessing you didn't buy that house?

trottytrue Jan 13th 2013 8:57 pm

Cheers No.. but my hubby still likes it. My heart is just not into it and I have to be careful that I just dont make the easy choice for silly reasons like I want to see all my belongings again I want to read my books I want to get into all the crafts I have put away. When you have been ill you realise that time is short. So I need to watch that I dont go for the easy road. We all remember the two roads we can take I made the wrong choice many years ago I dont want to do the same again. Going back to the UK would be much harder but I know in my heart thats where I want to be. Even with all the rain and all its problems. Nowhere is without problems.

Fullwood...When my brother was alive he would always call me and leave me a message if I wasnt home. It always started the same way....."Ellesmere Port Calling"....I had the one he left just before he died. I kept it just for the memories. I am doing fine.

cheers Jan 13th 2013 9:49 pm

[QUOTE=trottytrue;

Fullwood...Ellesmere Port Calling"....I had the one he left just before he died. I kept it just for the memories. I am doing fine.[/QUOTE]

Merseyside! That's my neck of the woods!

trottytrue Jan 13th 2013 11:09 pm

Cheers..My family live in Ellesmere Port, Whitby, Blacon, Chester, Tarporley and my friend lives in Mickle Trafford and Sandbach plus a brother and family in Penwortham and surrounding area.

Jerseygirl Jan 13th 2013 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 10481183)
Cheers..My family live in Ellesmere Port, Whitby, Blacon, Chester, Tarporley and my friend lives in Mickle Trafford and Sandbach plus a brother and family in Penwortham and surrounding area.

I used to live in Mickle Trafford. My best friend lives in Tarporley and we would love a little place there...something that's handy for The Rising Sun. :drinkwine:

trottytrue Jan 14th 2013 12:09 am

What a small world another of my friends just bought a town house in Tattenhall. She is also very happy.

cheers Jan 14th 2013 3:07 am

Just finished watching the latest Downton Abbey.
How many episodes in this series?

We missed the Golden Globes Awards. Earlier they interviewed what's his name, Benedict Cumberbatch. I don't know what to make of him?

Jerseygirl Jan 14th 2013 3:23 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10481380)
Just finished watching the latest Downton Abbey.
How many episodes in this series?

We missed the Golden Globes Awards. Earlier they interviewed what's his name, Benedict Cumberbatch. I don't know what to make of him?

Only 8. :(

dontheturner Jan 14th 2013 6:57 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 10480774)
DontheTurner...I don't listen to what politicians have to say on the EU I listen to my friends and family and they want out for many reasons. I think its up to the people of the England not outsiders. I dont care what Obama says or those that profit from staying in, let the people have their say. England is having a hard time coping with things as they are, let alone when new countries enter the EU and with all the rules and regulations.
What I find strange is when you talk to people about the issue concerning them they say 'well this is between me and generally family and friends but wouldnt say it anywhere else but........and then they give a long list of issues that they feel they can no longer speak openely about because they would be called biggots or racists. To me that is troublesome. When you can no longer speak about something without it having a label stuck on it is very worrying.
Enoch Powell was smart enough to see into the future and look how he was ripped apart.
Dunroving....agree with your statement entirely and if I ever find a good article on the EU I will send it to you. EU for Dummies sounds good to me.

Hello Avril - So good to hear from you - Thanks for responding - my thoughts are so similar to yours... I do hope your health continues to improve - and who knows? one of these fine, sunny Shropshire days, we may meet to enjoy each others' company - Beware though! I do exhibit this Midlander's magnetism for nice sociable ladies & gents... Love Don & Tim

sallysimmons Jan 14th 2013 8:50 am

2 Attachment(s)

Earlier they interviewed what's his name, Benedict Cumberbatch. I don't know what to make of him?
Hey cheers, don't be talking about me like that ;-)

celticspirit, I'm sorry to hear of your sadness but I think you're very brave. This divorce sounds like something you had to do, but something that a lesser woman might have bottled out of. It's very easy to stay in a negative situation just because it's easier that way. I congratulate you for being so strong and I wish you well in the future.

Fulwood, you sound like such a wise person. I hope your trip back is wonderful.

It snowed here last night! I went out early this morning for a walk - needed wellies, but other than that it was beautiful. Here's a couple of snaps.

J.JsOH Jan 14th 2013 1:53 pm

So what to do in mid-Jan when back in UK? - we had a good day at this event
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...8993250&type=3

cheers Jan 14th 2013 4:10 pm

I love those photos Trotty. I hope you were able to come home to a warm fire to warm up.

between two worlds Jan 14th 2013 6:41 pm

Celtic,
belatedly chiming in to say I'm sorry about your sadness. Agree with others, divorce is always sad, but sometimes the best (and more courageous, as Sally says) way.

Fulwood,
condolences on the loss of your brother. I cannot imagine the sadness of losing a sibling.

Sally,
these snow photos are wonderful!

Trotty,
great to see you still chiming in on here. Hope the winter is not too grim up where you are, and that hubby's health has improved...

Tina