British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

cheers Mar 30th 2012 4:20 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Rodney maybe its an age thing but I like you just watch these so called comedians and wonder, where is the humor? It is crazy that they have a technician at a keyboard who pushes buttons to give the impression there is an live audience that is responding with laughter.
I tried to think of a present day comedian and I could only think of one on this side of the Atlantic and his name is Jeff Foxworthy.

example:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...8l8l0l1l1l0l37

jasper123 Mar 30th 2012 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9980482)
Rodney maybe its an age thing but I like you just watch these so called comedians and wonder, where is the humor? It is crazy that they have a technician at a keyboard who pushes buttons to give the impression there is an live audience that is responding with laughter.
I tried to think of a present day comedian and I could only think of one on this side of the Atlantic and his name is Jeff Foxworthy.

/url]

Yes Cheers Foxworthy was another american stand up who I have always thought very funny, real lay back red neck humor and hes sooooo good at it :D
I think to a certain degree you are right in saying its an age thing, most of the people that have said they find these so called comedians funny are in a different younger age group then us, I think that back in the day comedians had to not only be very funny to survive ---- they also had to be different and unique, these days the so called modern comedy is so much all the same old thing if you know what I mean, very few if any seem to have there own special brand if you know what I mean,
The trouble is these days the quality of comedy is quite low, but you see for most people under say 50 today have been forced to except a much lower standard of entertainment in general ---- including comedy, so its the same old story really isn't it ---- if thats all you have known then what you see is what you get and that must be funny right ----- well it must be cause everybody seems to be laughing at it :p ;) :zzz:

Celticspirit Mar 31st 2012 12:11 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9981271)
Yes Cheers Foxworthy was another american stand up who I have always thought very funny, real lay back red neck humor and hes sooooo good at it :D
I think to a certain degree you are right in saying its an age thing, most of the people that have said they find these so called comedians funny are in a different younger age group then us, I think that back in the day comedians had to not only be very funny to survive ---- they also had to be different and unique, these days the so called modern comedy is so much all the same old thing if you know what I mean, very few if any seem to have there own special brand if you know what I mean,
The trouble is these days the quality of comedy is quite low, but you see for most people under say 50 today have been forced to except a much lower standard of entertainment in general ---- including comedy, so its the same old story really isn't it ---- if thats all you have known then what you see is what you get and that must be funny right ----- well it must be cause everybody seems to be laughing at it :p ;) :zzz:

I love Jennifer Saunders, Dawn French, Billy Connolly
and Jo Brand.

sallysimmons Mar 31st 2012 1:43 am

They used to do that in 'the good old days' but they rarely do it now - at least in the UK.

I am much older than the comedians I love (Peter Kay is a baby!) I just think we all owe it to ourselves to stay young and to keep evolving. Life's too short to get stuck in the past wishing for the way things used to be.

I hated a lot of the more sexist and racist comedy when I was growing up, but I loved Dad's Army and Porridge and anything with Leonard Rossiter, and then I thought all the 80s 'alternative' comedians were great (Jo brand, Fry and Laurie, The Young Ones, Ben Elton etc.). Then there was Ricky Gervais (LOVE!) and Steve Coogan (double love!) and then the David Mitchells of the world, and now there's a whole new breed of young comedian - all just as funny but in a different way.

I love change and I'm glad things keep evolving. Bring on whatever's next!

Beedubya Mar 31st 2012 7:50 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9980345)
Bee, I just got round to watching the clip you posted of Peter Kay on Parkinson. First, I used to love Parky and I had no idea that Peter Kay started as his warm-up guy. Second, I was just in stitches - Pete Kay is adorable! I thought the funniest thing was how much Parkinson was laughing. He looked as though he might wet himself :lol:

Don't like "the scousers" much - to me the Royle Family does the same thing but a gazillion times better.One of my favorites is David Mitchell - I just love his repressed middle-class English frustration. Here's 'Dear America.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw

Oh I just used the Scousers as a reminder to Calm Down, Calm Down, we do say that in my family now when somebody gets a little boisterous LOL!!

I haven't heard of David Mitchell before so I will be off for a viewing. :thumbsup:

Beedubya Mar 31st 2012 7:54 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9981351)
They used to do that in 'the good old days' but they rarely do it now - at least in the UK.

I am much older than the comedians I love (Peter Kay is a baby!) I just think we all owe it to ourselves to stay young and to keep evolving. Life's too short to get stuck in the past wishing for the way things used to be.

I hated a lot of the more sexist and racist comedy when I was growing up, but I loved Dad's Army and Porridge and anything with Leonard Rossiter, and then I thought all the 80s 'alternative' comedians were great (Jo brand, Fry and Laurie, The Young Ones, Ben Elton etc.). Then there was Ricky Gervais (LOVE!) and Steve Coogan (double love!) and then the David Mitchells of the world, and now there's a whole new breed of young comedian - all just as funny but in a different way.

I love change and I'm glad things keep evolving. Bring on whatever's next!

Well said Sally!! :thumbsup:

jasper123 Mar 31st 2012 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9981351)

and then I thought all the 80s 'alternative' comedians were great (Jo brand, Fry and Laurie, The Young Ones, Ben Elton etc.). Then there was Ricky Gervais (LOVE!) and Steve Coogan (double love!) and then the David Mitchells of the world, and now there's a whole new breed of young comedian - all just as funny but in a different way.

Hi Sally ---- yes you do have a point, its nice to keep up with the changes, I like that too, but for me as I have lived through the years when the standard was so much higher, if I see someone new they have to have something special, you know different then all the rest
All the people that you have mentioned above I have not heard of a single one of them, who are they, there from the 80's you say, are they all British?

sallysimmons Mar 31st 2012 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9981897)
Hi Sally ---- yes you do have a point, its nice to keep up with the changes, I like that too, but for me as I have lived through the years when the standard was so much higher, if I see someone new they have to have something special, you know different then all the rest
All the people that you have mentioned above I have not heard of a single one of them, who are they, there from the 80's you say, are they all British?

Yes Rodney, they're all British and all really famous - some of them have reached national treasure status by now. You were just gone too long :lol:

But surely you know Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie (aka Dr House?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6CkltzGAxY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjHHiE3LGuQ

jasper123 Mar 31st 2012 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9982291)
Yes Rodney, they're all British and all really famous - some of them have reached national treasure status by now. You were just gone too long :lol:

But surely you know Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie (aka Dr House?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6CkltzGAxY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjHHiE3LGuQ

Oh Sally Im starting to feel like a lost cause, Im afraid Ive never heard or seen any of these people, and I even watched a couple of these clips you posted, thanks by the way for that, didn't find them funny though :o sorry,
you know I was gone since the early 70's so any comedians that started say after 1974 I wouldn't have seen or heard of, I mean computers were not even invented then so you couldn't just get on to U.TUBE it didn't exsist,
so being isolated in the USA living in the west 6,000 miles from England how would I be able to see any of the new british comedians even if I wanted to, and with the ocasional 2 week trip back home every 4 or 5 years well you dont really have too much time to watch the telly, too busy seeing the family all over,
and PBC was not even around then, and it was before cable TV came in, remember we only used to have a few channels then,
So anyway what Im very confused at is this, most expats on here seem to have been away for decades like me and some as long as me like fish and Barb in Oz and a whole bunch of us have been gone for 30 years or more, even you Sally, but how on earth have all these people kept up with British TV, BBC america hasn't been around for that long, and they had a few re-runs I know of some British sit-coms, but I really wasn't too interested in them, I guess with me I just really got into the American life, my life, and I didn't have not one Brit friend ever over in U.S. so I didn't even talk to Brits, the places I lived Brits were few and far between,
So I guess really Ive answered my own question havent I.

cheers Apr 1st 2012 12:25 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9982542)
Oh Sally Im starting to feel like a lost cause, Im afraid Ive never heard or seen any of these people, and I even watched a couple of these clips you posted, thanks by the way for that, didn't find them funny though :o sorry,
you know I was gone since the early 70's so any comedians that started say after 1974 I wouldn't have seen or heard of, I mean computers were not even invented then so you couldn't just get on to U.TUBE it didn't exsist,
so being isolated in the USA living in the west 6,000 miles from England how would I be able to see any of the new british comedians even if I wanted to, and with the ocasional 2 week trip back home every 4 or 5 years well you dont really have too much time to watch the telly, too busy seeing the family all over,
and PBC was not even around then, and it was before cable TV came in, remember we only used to have a few channels then,
So anyway what Im very confused at is this, most expats on here seem to have been away for decades like me and some as long as me like fish and Barb in Oz and a whole bunch of us have been gone for 30 years or more, even you Sally, but how on earth have all these people kept up with British TV, BBC america hasn't been around for that long, and they had a few re-runs I know of some British sit-coms, but I really wasn't too interested in them, I guess with me I just really got into the American life, my life, and I didn't have not one Brit friend ever over in U.S. so I didn't even talk to Brits, the places I lived Brits were few and far between,
So I guess really Ive answered my own question havent I.

Rodney you brought to mind a British sitcom that I thought was hilarious and that was "Faulty Towers" Now that made me laugh!

I have about two hours to go for Doc Martin which I love but I've been thinking, is it comedy? I think it started out as comedy but I think it has turned into something else. What ever it is I still love it.

Cheers

Celticspirit Apr 1st 2012 1:29 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9982576)
Rodney you brought to mind a British sitcom that I thought was hilarious and that was "Faulty Towers" Now that made me laugh!

I have about two hours to go for Doc Martin which I love but I've been thinking, is it comedy? I think it started out as comedy but I think it has turned into something else. What ever it is I still love it.

Cheers

Very dark comedy......just finished watching......saw the same episode before.

jasper123 Apr 1st 2012 10:03 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9982576)

Cheers

Cheers yes Faulty Towers was very funny, and I love John Cleese, I saw a few re-runs on telly last year and they were so funny, and anyway who could not laugh at John Cleese :) and Doc Martin I also think is very good, The Doc character is very funny to me,
But I didn't know about these shows until I came back home, you were the one that told me about Doc Martin way before I left the USA in a few of your posts a couple of years ago, so that got me interested in looking out for it, thanks for that :)

Oh and by the way I have found a very funny little show on British TV its called Harry Hills TV burp, I cant get enough of it, its very funny indeed, and this Harry Hill guy is soooooo good at what he does, he has me in stiches, now thats what Im talking about

sallysimmons Apr 1st 2012 1:53 pm

Wow, Rodney ... I never knew an English person who didn't know Stephen Fry! Recently he was voted the person most likely to be elected if the British could choose their own King or Queen :lol:

Hugh Laurie is now America's top paid actor as Dr. House, but back then he was just a stand-up comedian.

Those clips I posted were from the early 80s, so you were gone by then.

Last night, we watched Twenty Twelve, which is a BBC 4 comedy about the Olympics. It stars "Lord Grantham" as the man in charge of making the Olympics happen, and "Cheryl' from the Royle Family as the sycophantic and annoying 'head of Brand.' It's very subtle humor but so brilliant. For anyone in the UK or who watches on iPlayer, I recommend it. I especially love the Boris Johnson jokes :rofl:

Here's a clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8SxT-WXxN0 (Rodney - you won't like it!)

jasper123 Apr 1st 2012 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 9981279)
I love Jennifer Saunders, Dawn French, Billy Connolly
and Jo Brand.

Never heard of a single one of them except Billy Connolly, and the only reason I know him is last year since Ive been home I watched a series of his on TV Oh what was it called? anyway it was interesting cause he was traveling the entire stretch of Route 66 all over the U.S. on a three wheeler Harley Davidson motor bike, it was a weekly program,

jasper123 Apr 1st 2012 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9983321)
Wow, Rodney ... I never knew an English person who didn't know Stephen Fry! Recently he was voted the person most likely to be elected if the British could choose their own King or Queen :lol:

Hugh Laurie is now America's top paid actor as Dr. House, but back then he was just a stand-up comedian.

Those clips I posted were from the early 80s, so you were gone by then.

Last night, we watched Twenty Twelve, which is a BBC 4 comedy about the Olympics. It stars "Lord Grantham" as the man in charge of making the Olympics happen, and "Cheryl' from the Royle Family as the sycophantic and annoying 'head of Brand.' It's very subtle humor but so brilliant. For anyone in the UK or who watches on iPlayer, I recommend it. I especially love the Boris Johnson jokes :rofl:

Here's a clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8SxT-WXxN0 (Rodney - you won't like it!)

Well your right Sally I didn't like the clip, and even watched a few more too and I didn't know what they were talking about :confused: I didn't get it at all, ----- and the only Fry I ever heard of is the characters name Fry in the back to the future movies :) ------ or was that Fly ----- or McFry something like that.