British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Fish n Chips 56 Apr 1st 2012 6:22 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9983397)
Never heard of a single one of them except Billy Connolly, and the only reason I know him is last year since Ive been home I watched a series of his on TV Oh what was it called? anyway it was interesting cause he was traveling the entire stretch of Route 66 all over the U.S. on a three wheeler Harley Davidson motor bike, it was a weekly program,

Oh C-mon Rodney, if you dont know who Dawn French is then you have been missing one of Britians best ever TV shows, The Vicar of Dibley... Rod you have to see this show if only on You Tube, Wait till you meet Alice, No, No, No, No... Wait till you meet Jim... Heck the whole cast is Great...

sallysimmons Apr 1st 2012 9:16 pm

Rodney, we need to get you on a 'catching up with british culture' course :lol:

Ask your mum about Stephen Fry.

Derrygal Apr 1st 2012 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 9983661)
Oh C-mon Rodney, if you dont know who Dawn French is then you have been missing one of Britians best ever TV shows, The Vicar of Dibley... Rod you have to see this show if only on You Tube, Wait till you meet Alice, No, No, No, No... Wait till you meet Jim... Heck the whole cast is Great...

Love "The Vicar of Dibley" - one of the funniest shows on television. I watched every episode on PBS. I think Rodney must have really immersed himself in American culture, television, etc. during his time here. I'm the opposite - don't watch much American television at all. I would be lost without PBS and my Netflix subscription.

jasper123 Apr 4th 2012 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9983876)
Rodney, we need to get you on a 'catching up with british culture' course :lol:

Ask your mum about Stephen Fry.

I asked my Mum about stephen fry and she said she has heard of him but dont know what he does? next day mt nephew and wife were round an I asked them an they said yes they know who he is and do like him, but then again they are only in there 40,s ----- they did tell me that they were not surprised at me not knowing who he is and also not knowing who all these other people (you guys) have told me about, they said if there not known in the U.S. then why would you know them at all? I said yes exactly :)

sallysimmons Apr 5th 2012 1:27 am

I think that's the difference Rodney. First, you left long before me. I was in college when Joe Brand and Dawn French and Fry and Laurie were on TV. And even after I left, I kept up with English shows on PBS and BBC America (even before illegal downloads came along). Plus friends and family sent us DVDs for birthdays and Christmas. So while our daily life was 100% American, we never lost touch with England.

jasper123 Apr 5th 2012 10:08 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9989834)
I think that's the difference Rodney. First, you left long before me. I was in college when Joe Brand and Dawn French and Fry and Laurie were on TV. And even after I left, I kept up with English shows on PBS and BBC America (even before illegal downloads came along). Plus friends and family sent us DVDs for birthdays and Christmas. So while our daily life was 100% American, we never lost touch with England.

Yes Sally that makes a lot of sense to me, all these personalities that people on here are telling me about, well most of them were not even born when I left England to start my new life in America,
I was exactly like most on here, and how you were too, my daily life was 100% American like yours, but unlike you I didn't keep in touch with England at all, the only connection for me was to my family, Mum & Dad who I would write a letter to once a week, (snail mail in those days)
apart from Benny Hill I did not watch anything from U.K. never wanted to,
in 70,s & 80,s at least the American TV was excellent, with so much real quality TV in every direction, TV dramas, series, sit coms, variate shows,
I just didn't have any reason to go to pbs or bbc america ---- not even sure if they were even around then,
take care Sally and oh boy you dont have long to go now do you, tick tock tick tock :) :thumbsup:
Rodney.

Beedubya Apr 5th 2012 12:49 pm

Tent City USA, I hope this is shown on the TV here later.

http://www.oprah.com/own-doc-club/Te...-USA-Trailer_1

jasper123 Apr 5th 2012 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9990569)

Thanks for posting this Barb, Just watched it, made me very sad, just wanted to reach out and hug them and tell them they will be OK, wish I could help, makes you feel real humble dont it when you see people living like this.
They lost there homes for petes sake in a natural disaster, how come the government has not declared this area a national state of emergency you know where they step in and help people that has been hit by flooding or tornadoes ect ect get them emergency shelter --- food, it looks like these people are the forgotten people who the government are choosing to ignore,

Mallory Apr 6th 2012 2:00 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9990569)

She is doing a piece on this place in the series. Horrible!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFwQ656FmQg

Beedubya Apr 6th 2012 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 9991612)
She is doing a piece on this place in the series. Horrible!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFwQ656FmQg

Yes it is horrible, but they are illegal immigrants not native born people like the Tent City clip where people were made homeless in their own country by a natural disaster, BIG difference.

sallysimmons Apr 6th 2012 12:39 pm

But wait I thought illegal immigrants to Britain were claiming all kinds of big screen TVs from the government and living in the lap of luxury :confused: :lol:

I agree there's a huge difference though. Only in America** are regular citizens so casually allowed to fall through the cracks of society with no one giving a crap.

I think it's possible to love America and still be honest about its flaws.

It's been brought home to me this past year watching my brother struggle to find employment for over a year (he just got a job though!) and yet never lose his health care or the little flat he rents. Or seeing my SIL, with a rare brain disease that requires thousands of pounds worth of treatment a month, getting the best of care without having to sell her family's home.

** I said 'only in America' when comparing to the rest of the wealthy western world. Of course there are countries where poor people have it as bad or even worse (sometimes).

Mallory Apr 7th 2012 12:42 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9991866)

Yes it is horrible, but they are illegal immigrants not native born people.

:ohmy:

Mummy in the foothills Apr 7th 2012 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 9992954)
:ohmy:

You have to quote the whole thing on this post to get the meaning.

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9991866)
Yes it is horrible, but they are illegal immigrants not native born people like the Tent City clip where people were made homeless in their own country by a natural disaster, BIG difference.

I agree partly, people who break the law and enter counties illegally can hardly whine and want us to feel sorry for them they need to figure out a way out of the country, they managed to get in. They can't expect a free handout when they have not followed legal channels in the first place.
I do however feel very sorry for the tent city people, citizens who for most of their life were hard working and played by the rules only to be tossed aside when hard times hit (thats who they interviewed at some more local to me tent cities)

Beedubya Apr 7th 2012 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9993705)
You have to quote the whole thing on this post to get the meaning.

I agree partly, people who break the law and enter counties illegally can hardly whine and want us to feel sorry for them they need to figure out a way out of the country, they managed to get in. They can't expect a free handout when they have not followed legal channels in the first place.
I do however feel very sorry for the tent city people, citizens who for most of their life were hard working and played by the rules only to be tossed aside when hard times hit (thats who they interviewed at some more local to me tent cities)

You said that better than I did Pauline, but that is what I meant, not that it is right for any human being to be living like this, but some ARE illegal immigrants and some are native born Americans............BIG difference

Editha Apr 7th 2012 9:02 pm

Perhaps Pauline could explain which people she is referring to, when she says "they can hardly whine and want us to feel sorry for them".

The illegal immigrants from the Indian sub-continent in the clip had been filmed secretly, and without their knowledge, so they weren't asking for anyone's sympathy.

Personally, I do feel sorry for them. They are just trying to support themselves and their families in difficult circumstances. They've had a harder row to hoe than I've ever had.

I'm also baffled why so many people on this forum seem to delight in exhibiting their own mean-spirit and selfishness for a wider audience. Surely, that's what the comment columns on the Daily Mail are for?