British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

mikelincs Apr 9th 2012 5:14 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Editha (Post 9996612)
Peverel are a very large property management company. They don't have an unblemished reputation. I suggest you read this article from The Guardian last year:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011...nant-rebellion

Peverel have changed hands recently, and the previous owner is no longer around, Peverel was the only part of his portfolios that was making money

mikelincs Apr 9th 2012 5:22 am

we went to see an Anchor housing property last week, rent was £475 pcm and included all heating and hot water, there was also a communal laundry on site, all service charges included in the rent. We currently rent through Girlings, which run the vast majority of the Peverell rentals, and the rents are very much higher, we pay £700 pcm with no better facilities, and heating is NOT included. We shall be looking at other agencies when our current contract runs out.

Editha Apr 9th 2012 5:26 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 9996625)
Peverel have changed hands recently, and the previous owner is no longer around, Peverel was the only part of his portfolios that was making money

True, and the Guardian article was written just before Peverel went into administration.

islandwoman120 Apr 9th 2012 6:07 am

Thanks everyone. That is a lot clearer. I am still going down to have a look, but there are Housing 21 places in Devon also - not connected to Peverel. Will be back on line tomorrow evening.

Beedubya Apr 9th 2012 8:01 am

Peverel are a profit making organisation, others such as Anchor and Housing 21 have a different agenda.

islandwoman120 Apr 10th 2012 10:39 pm

I went, I saw, I liked the place and the setting. It suits me, and I can afford it, so no need to get into any more about this place. Thanks for the input from all who advised me.:)

cheers Apr 11th 2012 1:58 am

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9999908)
I went, I saw, I liked the place and the setting. It suits me, and I can afford it, so no need to get into any more about this place. Thanks for the input from all who advised me.:)

Fantastic!

Can I mark on my calender when the move is?

I already have it on my map on my iphone.

Cheers

islandwoman120 Apr 11th 2012 3:57 am

New photos taken yesterday - it was a day of frequent 'April showers' and these were taken in between them.:)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7629793480869/

cheers Apr 11th 2012 4:10 am

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 10000458)
New photos taken yesterday - it was a day of frequent 'April showers' and these were taken in between them.:)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7629793480869/

Did you walk down to the sea from the 'terrace'?
I could almost smell the sea air!
Did you take the bus or the train to get there?
I think I would like it better than Frome.
I was looking at a house opposite the place. I think it sold but the price was around £350,000 so things must be expensive there.

Thanks for the pictures!

Cheers

islandwoman120 Apr 11th 2012 4:16 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10000490)
Did you walk down to the sea from the 'terrace'?
I could almost smell the sea air!
Did you take the bus or the train to get there?
I think I would like it better than Frome.
I was looking at a house opposite the place. I think it sold but the price was around £350,000 so things must be expensive there.

Thanks for the pictures!

Cheers

The sea air was lovely, as was the seaweed smell - strange the things you miss when you are inland. No grafitti, no dog poo, no fag ends on the streets - and best of all, no drunks near my new place. And double glazing as standard. I lived there 42 years ago - not too much seems to have changed in that time! :)

cheers Apr 11th 2012 4:20 am

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 10000510)
The sea air was lovely, as was the seaweed smell - strange the things you miss when you are inland. No grafitti, no dog poo, no fag ends on the streets - and best of all, no drunks near my new place. And double glazing as standard. I lived there 42 years ago - not too much seems to have changed in that time! :)

Is it too early to have a move date? You probably have to do some negotiating right? After all you just did the trip yesterday.
So did you take the train there?

Cheers

sallysimmons Apr 11th 2012 6:14 am

It looks lovely Rosie. Looks like the perfect place for you!

jasper123 Apr 11th 2012 11:27 am

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 10000510)

Rosie thanks for the pics, it looks really lovely there,
When I came home after over half my life living in the desert, I could not get enough of the sea, and still cant, Im so lucky that anytime I want I can just hop on a bus and Im right at the Southsea beach pier, I always go right down to the sea, I love to see and hear the waves rushing into shore, and I love the smell of seaweed too, and to look up and see all those seagulls flying around, I sooooooo have missed all this, been away from it for far too long, Oh Im in heaven :)

cheers Apr 11th 2012 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10001241)
Rosie thanks for the pics, it looks really lovely there,
When I came home after over half my life living in the desert, I could not get enough of the sea, and still cant, Im so lucky that anytime I want I can just hop on a bus and Im right at the Southsea beach pier, I always go right down to the sea, I love to see and hear the waves rushing into shore, and I love the smell of seaweed too, and to look up and see all those seagulls flying around, I sooooooo have missed all this, been away from it for far too long, Oh Im in heaven :)

except for the times that those seagulls 'bomb' your clean car:sneaky:

jasper123 Apr 12th 2012 10:35 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10001342)
except for the times that those seagulls 'bomb' your clean car:sneaky:

Thats exactly why cheers I dont have a car :) I bus it ------ everywhere :thumbsup: