Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

Old Apr 11th 2013, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

gailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nice
Default Re: New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
Yes I'm going to use Air Animal, the "door-to-arirport" option. I've been back and forth with Evelyn there ( as I know you have too) and she has put my mind at rest with all my questions and concerns.

it's just a case of waiting until I have a set date to leave USA once the house has sold before I begin the rushing round getting all the necessary rabies vaccines and microchipping done
Let us know how you get on
Good luck with getting your house sold in a timely manner, etc~
Old Apr 11th 2013, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Confused.com!

My vet has sent me a copy of the 3rd Country certificate for my dog but it's different from the one on the Defra website. One is old and one is new and I don't know which is which

I have sent a copy to Defra by email so hopefully they will respond before I leave. They seem very slow on the emails.
Mine was different from the defra version too. I went with the locally-supplied certificate and all was good.

Good luck!
Old Apr 11th 2013, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Confused.com!

My vet has sent me a copy of the 3rd Country certificate for my dog but it's different from the one on the Defra website. One is old and one is new and I don't know which is which

I have sent a copy to Defra by email so hopefully they will respond before I leave. They seem very slow on the emails.
It appears that the Defra site is in the process of merging with the GOV.UK one. I was going to see if I could find the 3rd Country certificate and compare with the one that I used recently but I couldn't find it on there at the moment.

Anyway, this is from the USDA site and it's the version that I used at the end of March so should be fine.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulation...n_com_pets.pdf
Old Apr 15th 2013, 6:41 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

this is the link to the 3rd country certificate
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...en00650076.pdf
or
https://www.gov.uk/pet-travel-inform...for-pet-owners and go from there
Old Apr 25th 2013, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

jkgoulds will become famous soon enoughjkgoulds will become famous soon enough

can anyone give me some advice?!

im currently in the process of trying to arrange to travel back to the UK from Canada with my two cats and one has a microchip, one has a tattoo (not by my choice, we rescued her) and im getting them in this week for their rabies updates. however im really unsure how to get them into the UK - am i allowed to bring them onto the flight as carry on or do they have to go in cargo? ive contacted DEFRA and they havn't really answered my question and now i can't seem to find a forward answer anywhere - i have less than a month to arrange all this including the house, belongings, flights, arrivals etc... any advice or help will be greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 25th 2013, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jkgoulds

im currently in the process of trying to arrange to travel back to the UK from Canada with my two cats and one has a microchip, one has a tattoo (not by my choice, we rescued her) and im getting them in this week for their rabies updates. however im really unsure how to get them into the UK - am i allowed to bring them onto the flight as carry on or do they have to go in cargo? ive contacted DEFRA and they havn't really answered my question and now i can't seem to find a forward answer anywhere - i have less than a month to arrange all this including the house, belongings, flights, arrivals etc... any advice or help will be greatly appreciated!
if you fly into UK you must use cargo. If you fly into mainland europe you can take them (or at least one??) in the cabin, or fly them as "excess baggage". You might get more help from the airlines, try talking to air canada for a start... and remember you need 21 days from rabies jab to entry into europe.

Good luck to you and the kitties!
Old Apr 25th 2013, 7:23 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jkgoulds

Hi jkgoulds, I've replied to your other thread, but will just echo what Happyglow said: you'll probably find the airlines quicker to give you practical info than DEFRA. (Although, obviously, cross-check everything with DEFRA too.) The Animal Reception Centre at Heathrow are also very helpful.

Personally, I'd spend a day or so reading and trying to get your head round the requirements (this thread is useful, as is the pet section of the UK Yankee forum) and then start asking questions about what you're still unsure about. If you feel totally overwhelmed, you can always use a pet agent, who will organize everything for you for $$$. But it's all doable by yourself, too. Just bear in mind you're dealing with four sets of requirements:

- DEFRA (for getting the cats into the UK)
- your airline (for getting the cats onto a flight; different airlines can have quite different rules)
- IATA (for general rules about transporting animals, e.g. crate requirements, time in transit)
- the Canadian authorities (if applicable; they may have to sign off on the paperwork)

So don't worry if it seems confusing. It is confusing!

Last edited by MoshiMoshi; Apr 25th 2013 at 7:25 am.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MoshiMoshi
- the Canadian authorities (if applicable; they may have to sign off on the paperwork)
This is indeed the case - you must get the forms validated by a govt vet at Animal Health after your vet has completed them. Straightforward and costs $20.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

jkgoulds will become famous soon enoughjkgoulds will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by happyglow
This is indeed the case - you must get the forms validated by a govt vet at Animal Health after your vet has completed them. Straightforward and costs $20.
Thank you all so much! I got the rabies and requirments under control, its just the hassle of getting them there and how as defra websites vs airline websites get rather confusing! I'm going to contact the airlines again and see if they can be a bit more help! Big weight off my mind as cargo only!
Old May 23rd 2013, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

Janelle is an unknown quantity at this point

Pennilessinindia, how did you find a UK taxi in Calais to take you through the tunnel?
Old May 23rd 2013, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Janelle
Pennilessinindia, how did you find a UK taxi in Calais to take you through the tunnel?
If you google "Eurotunnel taxi" lots of firms pop up.
Old May 24th 2013, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

Janelle is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks happyglow, why didn't I think of that?

Well we decided to take the ferry to Hull anyway, since it's closer to where we are heading in the north-east.
Old May 25th 2013, 12:19 am
Pilottinker

pilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to behold

Just as an aside. My Maine Coon Cat has two microchips. One put in when he was in America and a new one put in last year , here in New Zealand. Both are not working ! The vet said some brands are always defaulting, and I will get a free replacement. I suppose it just needs to last long enough for the journey to the next country. Don't want to worry anyone.
Old May 25th 2013, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pilottinker
Just as an aside. My Maine Coon Cat has two microchips. One put in when he was in America and a new one put in last year , here in New Zealand. Both are not working ! The vet said some brands are always defaulting, and I will get a free replacement. I suppose it just needs to last long enough for the journey to the next country. Don't want to worry anyone.
I imagine they are using the wrong scanner. It would be almost impossible for TWO microchips to have migrated. The thought you would have to insert a third foreign body into your pet is insane. Find another vet. What he said is rubbish unless he is saving his own skin for faulty implantation.
Old May 26th 2013, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

gailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nice

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
I imagine they are using the wrong scanner. It would be almost impossible for TWO microchips to have migrated. The thought you would have to insert a third foreign body into your pet is insane. Find another vet. What he said is rubbish unless he is saving his own skin for faulty implantation.
I agree - sounds like he just wants to make more money!
Some scanner don't work on certain brands - this vet needs to buy one that works on any of them - not just the brand he implants.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.