Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

Old Apr 8th 2013, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

gailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nice
Default Re: New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
I'm concerned for my dog and the travelling involved. She is quite old, (12) and is not a good traveller at all, she frets terribly even on the short trip in the car to the dog groomers.

In what way was your dog stressed? Could you just tell by his behaviour or was he sick during the flight? I've used some of the natural stress relievers for my dog but they don't appear to have any effect
If she is in good shape - she should be ok - have you talked to the vet about it.
I have used those chewy stress recieves on Toby, but they don't seem to affect him either.
They won't allow an animal to be drugged though - they won't accept them if they think they have - more for their protection as if they are groggy and go through turbulence etc. they can't keep their balance and could get hurt.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 10:36 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm concerned for my dog and the travelling involved. She is quite old, (12) and is not a good traveller at all, she frets terribly even on the short trip in the car to the dog groomers.

In what way was your dog stressed? Could you just tell by his behaviour or was he sick during the flight? I've used some of the natural stress relievers for my dog but they don't appear to have any effect
Originally Posted by gailc
If she is in good shape - she should be ok - have you talked to the vet about it.
I have used those chewy stress recieves on Toby, but they don't seem to affect him either.
They won't allow an animal to be drugged though - they won't accept them if they think they have - more for their protection as if they are groggy and go through turbulence etc. they can't keep their balance and could get hurt.
Correct if the airlines or authoritys suspect even if natural, pets have taken an anti stress formula then they will be removed from the plane, thats if they get that far, the reason is what if the pet has a reaction to the meds and vomits chokes ...........................
Old Apr 9th 2013, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

She's in good shape for a 12 year old dog, she's just never been a good passenger in a car. I'm hoping that once she's in her travel crate she'll settle especially if I put in an old t-shirt of mine so she can get the scent
Old Apr 9th 2013, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

gailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nice

She's in good shape for a 12 year old dog, she's just never been a good passenger in a car. I'm hoping that once she's in her travel crate she'll settle especially if I put in an old t-shirt of mine so she can get the scent
That is one thing they do suggest - an unwashed shirt or something.
I know it is worrying - I would be scared to death until we got there and saw them. I would spend the whole flight wondering how they are doing and probably bugging the crew to have someone go down and check on them. I think it is something they should do - regardless.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

I know it is worrying - I would be scared to death until we got there and saw them. I would spend the whole flight wondering how they are doing and probably bugging the crew to have someone go down and check on them. I think it is something they should do - regardless.
You can't get into the hold from the cabin/cockpit. The crates are strapped to a pallet so they can't shift around.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
You can't get into the hold from the cabin/cockpit. The crates are strapped to a pallet so they can't shift around.
That is what air animal told me as well, but it would be nice if they could - would give some piece of mind to the poor pet 'parents'
Old Apr 9th 2013, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

That is what air animal told me as well, but it would be nice if they could - would give some piece of mind to the poor pet 'parents'
I have flown dogs twice with no problems and mine are very tiny - Chihuahuas. They did really well and were not affected at all by the trips.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
I have flown dogs twice with no problems and mine are very tiny - Chihuahuas. They did really well and were not affected at all by the trips.
Mine is tinsy as well - weighs 8 lbs. King Charles Cav/mini poodle mix.
He is smaller than the smallest of our 3 cats -
I think I saw where you have mentioned you flew them overseas and back unless I am wrong.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mine is tinsy as well - weighs 8 lbs. King Charles Cav/mini poodle mix.
He is smaller than the smallest of our 3 cats -
I think I saw where you have mentioned you flew them overseas and back unless I am wrong.
You are correct........my children were in college and I was recently divorced. I was in panic mode. I missed my kids too much and returned several months later.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

I won't even be on the flight with them I've decided it will be far too much for me to do on my own, so they'll be going on a couple of days before me.

My husband will collect them at the other end in Manchester. I will be frantic until I have seen them via Skype, hopefully settled and curled up asleep
Old Apr 10th 2013, 10:59 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

If it's any help - we travelled back from Toronto to Manchester Dec 2012, with a 12 year Golden. I too was frantic (she was on the same plane as us) our dog wasn't a bad car traveller but wasn't overly keen, she was afraid of loud noises and a bit skittish. In her kennel we had a soft bed and an old t-shirt with our scent on it.

I was a blubbering mess when I left her at Cargo , a blubbering mess when I boarded the plane, so much so that the pilot asked to see me and assured me it would all be fine as he asked me the optimal tempreture she'd be comfortable at in the hold and set it to that while I was in the cockpit.

It was the worst flight of my life. Once we arrived at Manchester and went to collect her from the pet reception area, she was wandering about behind the counter, being treated like a lady - when she saw us she barked several times, wagged her tail at us as if to say WTF did you just do to me? she was in great shape! thankfully.

We stayed over at an airport hotel that night, we were all tired and stressed and I didn't want the dog to just come off a stressful flight then be put in the back of a car and driver for another 4 hours. It was the right decision for us all.

I think I was more stressed than the dog. 4 months in, she has settled right in. Good luck to you , it will be fine
Old Apr 10th 2013, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dollface
If it's any help - we travelled back from Toronto to Manchester Dec 2012, with a 12 year Golden. I too was frantic (she was on the same plane as us) our dog wasn't a bad car traveller but wasn't overly keen, she was afraid of loud noises and a bit skittish. In her kennel we had a soft bed and an old t-shirt with our scent on it.

I was a blubbering mess when I left her at Cargo , a blubbering mess when I boarded the plane, so much so that the pilot asked to see me and assured me it would all be fine as he asked me the optimal tempreture she'd be comfortable at in the hold and set it to that while I was in the cockpit.

It was the worst flight of my life. Once we arrived at Manchester and went to collect her from the pet reception area, she was wandering about behind the counter, being treated like a lady - when she saw us she barked several times, wagged her tail at us as if to say WTF did you just do to me? she was in great shape! thankfully.

We stayed over at an airport hotel that night, we were all tired and stressed and I didn't want the dog to just come off a stressful flight then be put in the back of a car and driver for another 4 hours. It was the right decision for us all.

I think I was more stressed than the dog. 4 months in, she has settled right in. Good luck to you , it will be fine
I am sure we all worry for nothing - something you can't help.
I feel bad enough going away - hate leaving them
Old Apr 10th 2013, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

I won't even be on the flight with them I've decided it will be far too much for me to do on my own, so they'll be going on a couple of days before me.

My husband will collect them at the other end in Manchester. I will be frantic until I have seen them via Skype, hopefully settled and curled up asleep
That probably is best.
Are you going with air animal or doing it all yourself.
They will come (for a fee of course) and pick them up from your house and take them to the airport.
It is a lot, especially when there is more than one.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

That probably is best.
Are you going with air animal or doing it all yourself.
They will come (for a fee of course) and pick them up from your house and take them to the airport.
It is a lot, especially when there is more than one.
Yes I'm going to use Air Animal, the "door-to-arirport" option. I've been back and forth with Evelyn there ( as I know you have too) and she has put my mind at rest with all my questions and concerns.

it's just a case of waiting until I have a set date to leave USA once the house has sold before I begin the rushing round getting all the necessary rabies vaccines and microchipping done
Old Apr 11th 2013, 4:07 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Confused.com!

My vet has sent me a copy of the 3rd Country certificate for my dog but it's different from the one on the Defra website. One is old and one is new and I don't know which is which

I have sent a copy to Defra by email so hopefully they will respond before I leave. They seem very slow on the emails.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.