Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

Old Jun 28th 2012, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Back2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

Originally Posted by Tanto
Poppygirl and Back2UK,
Many thanks for this concise and helpful information, most appreciated!
Poppygirl, did your puss fly with you or unaccompanied?
Tanto
Your welcome, good luck.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

I just phoned BA Executive Club and was told that BA no longer transports animals (other than service dogs) to London (or anywhere?). I was told last week that BA World Cargo transports only on one flight per day and was trying to get more info re/ continuing on to Hamburg.......My head is still about to explode!!
Does anyone know anything about this?
Many thanks,
Tanto
Old Jun 29th 2012, 8:52 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

I just phoned BA Executive Club and was told that BA no longer transports animals (other than service dogs) to London (or anywhere?). I was told last week that BA World Cargo transports only on one flight per day and was trying to get more info re/ continuing on to Hamburg.......My head is still about to explode!!
Many thanks,
Tanto
Are you going to Germany as the final destination - if so use my favourite airline Lufthansa - the best for dogs have great facilities at Frankfurt and staff very dog friendly and you do not need an agent if you fly on the same flight
Old Jun 30th 2012, 5:45 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks,
Tanto
Most Airlines only have 1 flight cargo for pets a day, Virgin have just started 2 from SFO on certain days............why fly BA when you can go Virgin!!

OK so it looks like you want to go to Germany I was not aware of that, as Pennylessinindia said why not go direct with Lufthansa!!.........but I am confused your original post stated you want LAX to Gatwick!!

Last edited by Poppy girl; Jun 30th 2012 at 5:50 am.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 5:54 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Please note that British Airways World Cargo at Heathrow and Gatwick no longer deal with members of the general public/non-account holders, for the shipping of private goods/freight/live animals. All booking requests must be received via a recognized freight forwarder/pet agency who can make all the arrangements on your behalf directly with British Airways World Cargo

Sod that all the extra charges with a pet carrier.

email this lass and call her as well she is great and will walk you thru the steps A to Z
[email protected] all the staff are wonderful you have to book via the UK office not the US.

Last edited by Poppy girl; Jun 30th 2012 at 5:58 am.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

Red-Sea-Angel is an unknown quantity at this point

..... My head is still about to explode!!
I am right there with you!! I have spent the last 3 days trying to get hold of BA world cargo here in Egypt. I finally spoke to someone today and they gave me the same info I'd already seen on their website, and the number of an agent! I'd seen the bit that Poppy Girl quoted about needing an agent when travelling from the UK but had hoped it wouldn't be necessary this end.....apparently I'm wrong

I called the agent and to be fair he did tell me something I'd not been able to find out previously (the dimensions for the cat carriers). He also said there's many additional stamps needed for the paperwork this end and that's what he does....but I still think it's a swizz!

We were advised by our vet to use BA since they have a good reputation for animal transportation. Though the agent agreed, he asked why we weren't going to use Egypt Air, especially since this is who we are flying with! He said he sends animals with them all the time and they are fine, and cheaper....so now we're waiting to hear back from said agent, who apparently we simply must have with quotes from both airlines.

I think getting our 2 kitties to the UK is going to cost even more than getting us there....sigh....

Good luck with it all Tanto.

Old Jun 30th 2012, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Guinness is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Just flew my cat back to England 2 weeks ago from SFO to LHR with Virgin Atlantic.......here are the prices I paid below, please bare in mind my kitty was flown from California on the west coast to London Heathrow, so the east would be cheaper and airlines may vary, we flew Virgin Atlantic and they were 1st class superb....I did not use a pet carrier company.

Vet fee for Pet Certificate and exam for Virgin and Defra = $204
USDA for approval of pet to fly and rabies/micro chip correct = $37
Pet airline ticket/cargo depends on the dimensions of the cage = $886
Crate from Pets Smart = $67
Import fee into the UK = $444.70 (at todays rate) = everyday rate 290 quid

Total $1638.70

NO YOU DO NOT NEED A CARRIER, I DID IT MYSELF.
wow that is pretty pricey, we flew 2 large dogs and 2 cats from Toronto to Manchester with Ladyhaye total cost $3,200
Old Jun 30th 2012, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Red-Sea-Angel
I am right there with you!! I have spent the last 3 days trying to get hold of BA world cargo here in Egypt. I finally spoke to someone today and they gave me the same info I'd already seen on their website, and the number of an agent! I'd seen the bit that Poppy Girl quoted about needing an agent when travelling from the UK but had hoped it wouldn't be necessary this end.....apparently I'm wrong

I called the agent and to be fair he did tell me something I'd not been able to find out previously (the dimensions for the cat carriers). He also said there's many additional stamps needed for the paperwork this end and that's what he does....but I still think it's a swizz!

We were advised by our vet to use BA since they have a good reputation for animal transportation. Though the agent agreed, he asked why we weren't going to use Egypt Air, especially since this is who we are flying with! He said he sends animals with them all the time and they are fine, and cheaper....so now we're waiting to hear back from said agent, who apparently we simply must have with quotes from both airlines.

I think getting our 2 kitties to the UK is going to cost even more than getting us there....sigh....

Good luck with it all Tanto.

Cough Cough lol I said you DO NOT NEED an agent and I never said from the UK I said from the USA LOL
Old Jun 30th 2012, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Guinness
wow that is pretty pricey, we flew 2 large dogs and 2 cats from Toronto to Manchester with Ladyhaye total cost $3,200
I have no idea thats what it cost me!!
Old Jun 30th 2012, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Cough Cough lol I said you DO NOT NEED an agent and I never said from the UK I said from the USA LOL
Apologies for not being clear Poppy Girl....I was referring to your post immediately prior to mine, where you quoted in bold directly from the BA website But remember, my mind is about to explode with all this so be patient with me

Based on the information I got today, it's going to cost around 800GBP to bring our 2 cats with us. We are waiting to hear back from another 'mr fixit' at the airport so can hopefully get this all booked soon!

Old Jun 30th 2012, 8:48 pm

Apologies for not being clear Poppy Girl....I was referring to your post immediately prior to mine, where you quoted in bold directly from the BA website But remember, my mind is about to explode with all this so be patient with me

Based on the information I got today, it's going to cost around 800GBP to bring our 2 cats with us. We are waiting to hear back from another 'mr fixit' at the airport so can hopefully get this all booked soon!

Thats cool make sure that's all the cost's remember I included the USDA fee's California only I believe, the crate cost and also its more expensive to fly from the west coast...............hope it all works out well for you sure it will, and yes it is stressful but so worth it in the end, don't forget to get a pet passport when back in the UK just incase you travel again
Old Jun 30th 2012, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

Thank you all for your input and information! My head exploded yesterday and I am going to take a little break from all this for a day or two!!! To clarify briefly, I am looking at 2 possible destinations - London or Northern Germany. When one of my contacts in Berlin said no to the puss, I started thinking about London. The contacts in London are closer to Gatwick, hence my request for info on flying directly into that airport (impossible from the West coast, it seems). I'm looking at the easiest and least stressful journey for the puss!
Virgin and Lufthansa look good to me...........more later.

Tanto
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

I can't decide whether to be furious, cry, or bury my head in the sand!!

We have followed our vet's instructions regarding the order things need to be completed to travel with our kitties: microchip, vaccination, blood test, then wait 3 months.....then, while checking something else on the DEFRA website yesterday I see it says, in bold print, there must be a minimum of 30 days between the vaccine being administered and the blood being drawn....we have 13 days

I immediately contacted the vet who assured me it was no problem since this wasn't the kitties first vaccination, but merely their booster, so the blood was drawn well over 30 days since it was administered... However, it was their first vaccination AFTER they were chipped.

I'm freaking out

Our vet is adamant that the rules relate to a first ever vaccine, but it doesn't say that, and I'm really concerned.

Anyone have any experience/thoughts on this?

We have sent the lab results to 'mr fixit' at the airport, who in turn has sent them to James Cargo. He will also send copies of their passports (don't think that's the correct term, but it's a yellow book will all their details and immunization info in) tomorrow and we will wait to hear if we're ok

If not, we need to get another blood test done and will need to wait until 3 months after the draw date for the cats to travel It's a nightmare since DH has a job hopefully lined up for late August and DD is due to start school in September....

I have a headache!

Old Jul 2nd 2012, 4:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

If not, we need to get another blood test done and will need to wait until 3 months after the draw date for the cats to travel It's a nightmare since DH has a job hopefully lined up for late August and DD is due to start school in September....

I have a headache!

Why will you have to wait 3 months? I thought it was 21 days after the blood test.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Why will you have to wait 3 months? I thought it was 21 days after the blood test.
We're in a unlisted non-EU country, so it's 3 months from the date the vet takes the blood. I wish it was 21 days!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.