Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

Old Apr 6th 2013, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

Pooch and I made it to the UK in one piece without extraordinary problems, the trouble is my lil old brain is too tired and jetlagged to write a coherent report. So, if anyone has any questions about the process (by air from Canada to NL, then train and ferry Hoek van Holland to Harwich) please fire away.

All I can think of right now is:

The paperwork that caused so much worry was actually the easiest part.

My dog didn't cope as well as I hoped with the stress but bounced back quickly; if ever he has a big journey again I would look more into natural calming agents to help him with anxiety.

Stenalines ferry service rocks (well actually it doesn't haha) for both pets and humans.

It's good to be back, though we're both still a bit cream crackered. Night night!
Old Apr 7th 2013, 3:35 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happyglow
Pooch and I made it to the UK in one piece without extraordinary problems, the trouble is my lil old brain is too tired and jetlagged to write a coherent report. So, if anyone has any questions about the process (by air from Canada to NL, then train and ferry Hoek van Holland to Harwich) please fire away.

My dog didn't cope as well as I hoped with the stress but bounced back quickly; if ever he has a big journey again I would look more into natural calming agents to help him with anxiety.

Stenalines ferry service rocks (well actually it doesn't haha) for both pets and humans.

It's good to be back, though we're both still a bit cream crackered. Night night!
Old Apr 7th 2013, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Thank you! And thanks incredibly much for all your help during my preparations for the Big Trip.

Luckily one part my dog did quite learn to like after a shaky start was the trains (feeding him cheese butty and crisps while sat on my lap helped ) so we will be doing some fun day trips together this summer.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! And thanks incredibly much for all your help during my preparations for the Big Trip.

Luckily one part my dog did quite learn to like after a shaky start was the trains (feeding him cheese butty and crisps while sat on my lap helped ) so we will be doing some fun day trips together this summer.
Poor doggie!! I am glad he is doing better now. Was it the flight that stressed him? He must have been so glad to see you when you went to pick him up and perhaps a little worried about what was to come later.

Now that he is more acclimatized to the train travel, you will both enjoy the upcoming summer outings
Old Apr 7th 2013, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

gailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nice

So glad all went well and you are back safely. I think it would be a bit/lot stressfull for our pets as well, which although more expensive - I would opt for the least amount of time and confusion for them (and us).
Don't be a stranger and let us know how you are all getting along back in the UK.
I hope the summer is kind to you - love those summer days - one thing I miss terribly - we just get heat and humidity for months on end
Take care - all the best and thanks for the post
Old Apr 7th 2013, 10:29 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

All the best with everything, glad that you had a decent trip back.

I'm going to have to go through a lot of this when I finally make it out of the US, in the not too distant future. From the information I'm seeing posted here it seems as if it shoudn't be too difficult.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 10:32 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gailc
- one thing I miss terribly - we just get heat and humidity for months on end
I know what you mean, I've never enjoyed it, or got used to it.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

So glad all went well and you are back safely. I think it would be a bit/lot stressfull for our pets as well, which although more expensive - I would opt for the least amount of time and confusion for them (and us).
Don't be a stranger and let us know how you are all getting along back in the UK.
I hope the summer is kind to you - love those summer days - one thing I miss terribly - we just get heat and humidity for months on end
Take care - all the best and thanks for the post
Aww thanks! Just to clarify, it was the flight that was the stressful bit for my dog, it will be different for every pet of course but yes, I'm very glad we kept that part to a minimum. And hopefully never again!
Old Apr 8th 2013, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

Aww thanks! Just to clarify, it was the flight that was the stressful bit for my dog, it will be different for every pet of course but yes, I'm very glad we kept that part to a minimum. And hopefully never again!

I'm concerned for my dog and the travelling involved. She is quite old, (12) and is not a good traveller at all, she frets terribly even on the short trip in the car to the dog groomers.

In what way was your dog stressed? Could you just tell by his behaviour or was he sick during the flight? I've used some of the natural stress relievers for my dog but they don't appear to have any effect
Old Apr 8th 2013, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
I'm concerned for my dog and the travelling involved. She is quite old, (12) and is not a good traveller at all, she frets terribly even on the short trip in the car to the dog groomers.

In what way was your dog stressed? Could you just tell by his behaviour or was he sick during the flight? I've used some of the natural stress relievers for my dog but they don't appear to have any effect
When they brought him out into the baggage area he was standing rigid, legs spread, panting and shaking. His nose was white crusted and I don't think they'd given him any water at all (the rules were to leave crate bowls empty and they would fill before flight). He didn't vomit.

He's a tough little cookie though, and as soon as we got outside onto the concourse and he'd had about a pint of water and some food he started to perk up. He was even happier when we dumped the crate by a bench and left it!

I wouldn't fly him again unless I really really had no choice, but having said that he's probably forgotten all about it by now, and certainly he is loving his life here so if dogs reasoned that way he'd probably say it was worth it
Old Apr 8th 2013, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

When they brought him out into the baggage area he was standing rigid, legs spread, panting and shaking. His nose was white crusted and I don't think they'd given him any water at all (the rules were to leave crate bowls empty and they would fill before flight). He didn't vomit.

He's a tough little cookie though, and as soon as we got outside onto the concourse and he'd had about a pint of water and some food he started to perk up. He was even happier when we dumped the crate by a bench and left it!

I wouldn't fly him again unless I really really had no choice, but having said that he's probably forgotten all about it by now, and certainly he is loving his life here so if dogs reasoned that way he'd probably say it was worth it
I would seriously complain to the airlines about the no water part. Even humans would have a difficult time flying Vancouver to Amsterdam direct with no liquids whatsoever.

Last edited by windsong; Apr 8th 2013 at 10:57 am.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

gailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nice

Which airline was it?
Poor thing must have been so dehydrated. I would have been raising h--ll with them .
I suppose it is possible that he drank any water if they put it in there, but he probably was just scared to death. I know Toby would be like that as well - cats too!
I am glad he is ok now though and happy in his new home !
Old Apr 8th 2013, 2:03 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

All animals are given water on arrival into all UK airports and then again at the respection centers, as for the flight I cannot comment, but I do know my ex BF is a captain and we often talked about the pets and flying he said most Captains or 1st officers will check the animals for their needs before take off, he would always go and have a chat between the cages with them
Old Apr 8th 2013, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Which airline was it?
Poor thing must have been so dehydrated. I would have been raising h--ll with them .
I suppose it is possible that he drank any water if they put it in there, but he probably was just scared to death. I know Toby would be like that as well - cats too!
I am glad he is ok now though and happy in his new home !
I agree. I wait until they put ice chips in the water bowl which prevents spillage before they are boarded. I know the lady here in Dallas who handles the dogs. She also gives them a couple of Cheerios for a last minute sugar boost and to get a waggy tail.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
I agree. I wait until they put ice chips in the water bowl which prevents spillage before they are boarded. I know the lady here in Dallas who handles the dogs. She also gives them a couple of Cheerios for a last minute sugar boost and to get a waggy tail.
That was what air animal said - either ice cubes or fill with water and freeze.
Our little dog loves ice cubes and eats them - under those circumstances he may not touch them at all though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.