Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

Old Mar 28th 2013, 6:33 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Dogs can't go on the Eurostar but cost 15 GBP on Le Shuttle. You would probably have to hire a car from Paris Airport to Calais and through the tunnel then maybe hire another car in Folkestone to get home.

For this reason with all the possible hassle involved, we have also chosen to just fly dog by cargo to LHR. It's costing over $2000 with customs included but I think is less stressful than a lot of travel.
I traveled from Frankfurt on 3 trains with one dog and medium carrier and had a UK taxi pick us up at Calais to go through the tunnel.

I have a friend who took 2 dogs and a child from Paris to Calais and then the same taxi.

For us both this was a good alternative to flying into heathrow. I believe it was quite stressful for us both but better than the option of healthrow for us both, at that time
Old Mar 28th 2013, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pennylessinindia
I traveled from Frankfurt on 3 trains with one dog and medium carrier and had a UK taxi pick us up at Calais to go through the tunnel.

I have a friend who took 2 dogs and a child from Paris to Calais and then the same taxi.

For us both this was a good alternative to flying into heathrow. I believe it was quite stressful for us both but better than the option of healthrow for us both, at that time
How would you get from Paris to Calais, though (if you were to fly into Paris, that is)?

Would it be possible to fly into Paris and then take another plane from Paris to Scotland - or England? Ohh, wait a minute - that brings in the high airport taxes again.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gailc
Unless I am wrong, you still need to have a 'pet passport' issued by the British govt. for pets entering into the UK via the Euro tunnel.
We have 3 cats and one small dog (8lbs) Largest cat is approx 16 lbs.
Doing it this way would/may save tons of money - the quote for ours from Air Animal was over $5,000 flying out of Tampa with BA and straight into Gatwick.
It is a lot of money I know, but, to avoid all that trauma for them (and us) - I would rather pay the money I think - knowing they were on the same plane to be picked up by us when we landed.
Also, you would need help getting them from airport to tunnel, which means eiher a rental van or hire someone - then when you get there I couldn't even imagine a train ride all the way up to Scotland - or even the Midlands where we would go. You could possibly spend almost as much as if you paid the original amount quoted with certainly a lot less drama for them and you.
If your pets are all the 'laid back' types, this would work - otherwise you could have a bunch of very traumatized pets on your hand.
My opinion.
Yep, you still need a pet passport. (I JUST GOT OURS TODAY - HOORAY!!!!!)

I agree, depends on the pets and the humans involved. My dog will love it - he plays on his cute looks and gets fuss and treats wherever he goes, and he's small enough to sit on my lap etc. He was an LA street dog, so not much surprises him.

My last dog, it would have broken his brain to do it this way. I flew him executive class all the way
Old Mar 28th 2013, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone is getting paperwork approved by the govt vets in the VANCOUVER area, ie near YVR airport, please note that they are cleverly signed as the "Food Inspection Agency". No wonder the guy said they were hard to find.

No-one's going to eat my dog!!!
Old Mar 28th 2013, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by windsong
How would you get from Paris to Calais, though (if you were to fly into Paris, that is)?

Would it be possible to fly into Paris and then take another plane from Paris to Scotland - or England? Ohh, wait a minute - that brings in the high airport taxes again.
Train. The trains in France are superb, and also dog friendly.

(I still reckon the ferry's a better bet than the tunnel, more fun AND you get a proper lying-down sleep too!)
Old Mar 29th 2013, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

So, today we did paperwork for the pooch to go from Canada to UK via the Netherlands. It went like this:

Vet gave him three huge praziquantel pills, for tapeworm, which he swallowed with relish. Yum.

I produced the form, sent to me by Animal Health, on which I'd already filled in the basics, addresses and such, and the certificates for microchip and rabies (but the vet had records of those anyway, done last month)

Vet filled in the details on the form, got me to check it. Also gave me a fit to fly certificate unasked, not needed but a nice gesture!

I took pooch home then toddled off to Animal Health office, a bit anxious cos timing is tight if there's a problem. Government vet was lovely - checked the form, filled in the final details and triple-stamped everything. (rubber stamps - they still exist! )

I may have done a little "woohoo" and hugged a tree when I got back outside

That's it! Nothing to be done now other than take copies and hope it all passes muster. :f ingerscrossed:
Old Mar 29th 2013, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happyglow
Yep, you still need a pet passport. (I JUST GOT OURS TODAY - HOORAY!!!!!)

I agree, depends on the pets and the humans involved. My dog will love it - he plays on his cute looks and gets fuss and treats wherever he goes, and he's small enough to sit on my lap etc. He was an LA street dog, so not much surprises him.

My last dog, it would have broken his brain to do it this way. I flew him executive class all the way
I think it might break MY brain Can you imagine me trying to get on a train with four pet carriers and luggage? I would have to use my teeth to carry some of them Of course, perhaps I could dump two carriers in Paris and have the dogs on leashes but, even then, with their wanting everyone's attention, it could be a logistical nightmare.

It's definitely worth consideration to save this much money with four pets but when the time comes, I think I might have to take two over (this way, avoiding airport taxes) and then come back for the other two and do it the same way. I have a feeling I will be demented taking four animals and a suitcase by myself. I could take two over, wait 24 hours for a break, and then fly back to the US to get the other two. I will be exhausted but it's a bit more manageable, I think, and I would still save money, even with the additional flight.

Last edited by windsong; Mar 29th 2013 at 11:54 am.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Train. The trains in France are superb, and also dog friendly.

(I still reckon the ferry's a better bet than the tunnel, more fun AND you get a proper lying-down sleep too!)
What is the name of the ferry? I assume the tunnel is the Euro Tunnel?
Old Mar 29th 2013, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

So, today we did paperwork for the pooch to go from Canada to UK via the Netherlands. It went like this:

Vet gave him three huge praziquantel pills, for tapeworm, which he swallowed with relish. Yum.

I produced the form, sent to me by Animal Health, on which I'd already filled in the basics, addresses and such, and the certificates for microchip and rabies (but the vet had records of those anyway, done last month)

Vet filled in the details on the form, got me to check it. Also gave me a fit to fly certificate unasked, not needed but a nice gesture!

I took pooch home then toddled off to Animal Health office, a bit anxious cos timing is tight if there's a problem. Government vet was lovely - checked the form, filled in the final details and triple-stamped everything. (rubber stamps - they still exist! )

I may have done a little "woohoo" and hugged a tree when I got back outside

That's it! Nothing to be done now other than take copies and hope it all passes muster. :f ingerscrossed:

Ohhh my gosh!! Tears in my eyes again!!! You must be SO excited and happy now
Old Mar 29th 2013, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think it might break MY brain Can you imagine me trying to get on a train with four pet carriers and luggage? I would have to use my teeth to carry some of them Of course, perhaps I could dump two carriers in Paris and have the dogs on leashes but, even then, with their wanting everyone's attention, it could be a logistical nightmare.

It's definitely worth consideration to save this much money with four pets but when the time comes, I think I might have to take two over (this way, avoiding airport taxes) and then come back for the other two and do it the same way. I have a feeling I will be demented taking four animals and a suitcase by myself. I could take two over, wait 24 hours for a break, and then fly back to the US to get the other two. I will be exhausted but it's a bit more manageable, I think, and I would still save money, even with the additional flight.
Four at once sounds like too much for sure, especially since carriers have to follow IATA rules so are way bigger than the actual pet.

Do you know anyone who might welcome a free return flight in exchange for help with the pets on the first half? They wouldn't have to come back straight away. Perhaps a local pet sitter or other reputable animal person might be interested?
Old Mar 29th 2013, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

What is the name of the ferry? I assume the tunnel is the Euro Tunnel?
I'm using Stena, but there are others that take pets travelling without a car - google will do it. I'm hoping the ferry part works out really well as it would be a good way to enable european holidays with pooch.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ohhh my gosh!! Tears in my eyes again!!! You must be SO excited and happy now
Relieved mostly!
Old Mar 29th 2013, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm using Stena, but there are others that take pets travelling without a car - google will do it. I'm hoping the ferry part works out really well as it would be a good way to enable european holidays with pooch.
That's a good point about England - proximity to the Continent
Old Mar 29th 2013, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

gailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nice

Relieved mostly!
So happy to hear
Wish you a safe and uneventful trip for all of you - wish it were us
Maybe one of these days.

Old Mar 29th 2013, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gailc
So happy to hear
Wish you a safe and uneventful trip for all of you - wish it were us
Maybe one of these days.

Thank you!!!! It will be you one day

Currently cleaning up my apartment (sniff, will miss it), chucking out crap and packing the things I didn't ship into HUGE suitcase and backpack. Here's where I wish my dog was a husky, and I had a sled....

(Every time I pack something, pooch looks concerned, then very carefully unpacks it for me)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.