Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

Old Jul 2nd 2012, 6:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

Originally Posted by Red-Sea-Angel
We're in a unlisted non-EU country, so it's 3 months from the date the vet takes the blood. I wish it was 21 days!

Ah...of course...I didn't notice your location. Thanks.

Sorry I can't help you...but maybe someone will come along soon who can.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 7:57 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

At worst they will quarantine the kitties in the UK.

What you need to do if you are entering the UK from unlisted non-EU countries

Preparing your dog, cat or ferret
•Step 1 – Have your pet microchipped – Before any of the other procedures for pet travel are carried out, your pet must be fitted with a microchip so it can be properly identified.
•Step 2 – Have your pet vaccinated – After the microchip has been fitted your pet must be vaccinated against rabies. There is no exemption to this requirement, even if your pet has a current rabies vaccination. Rabies boosters must be kept up to date.
•Step 3 – Arrange a blood test – After your pet has been vaccinated, it must be blood tested to make sure the vaccine has given it a satisfactory level of protection against rabies. The blood sample must be taken at least 30 days after vaccination. The length of the waiting period before entry to the UK is three calendar months from the date your vet took the blood sample which led to a satisfactory test result. The three month waiting period will not apply if your pet was vaccinated and blood tested in the EU and issued with an EU pet passport before it went to an unlisted country.
•Step 4 – Get pet travel documentation –You will need to obtain an official third country veterinary certificate.
•Step 5 – Tapeworm treatment– (dogs only): before entering the UK, all pet dogs (including assistance dogs) must be treated for tapeworm. The treatment must be administered by a vet not less than 24 hours and not more than 120 hours (1-5 days) before its scheduled arrival time in the UK. There is no mandatory requirement for tick treatment. No treatment is required for dogs entering the UK from Finland, Ireland or Malta).
•Step 6 – Arrange for your animal to travel with an approved transport company on an authorised route – Your pet must enter the UK with an approved transport company on an authorised route.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Red-Sea-Angel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
At worst they will quarantine the kitties in the UK.
Do you know for how long? 3 months to allow for new blood results? 6 months like the 'old days'? Can you tell I'm a little panicked

Old Jul 2nd 2012, 8:57 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know for how long? 3 months to allow for new blood results? 6 months like the 'old days'? Can you tell I'm a little panicked

Coming from Egypt no I don't, I know, it is 21 days from the US I was told this when I called Defra, look you are stressing, make the call to Defra they are quick and very kind and can give you the answer you are looking for immediately don't wait on a BE answer then 2nd guess yourself, call them and put you mind at rest, have a list of your questions, worth spending a few bob for a peace of mind phone call
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I would think it's the same time you have to wait between the blood test and travel. In your case it would be 3 months...but like Poppy girl said given them a call and find out for sure.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 10:12 am
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

3 months from an unlisted country, do make sure all the documents completed correctly
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Red-Sea-Angel is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you ladies for all of your help and advice

I was all set to call DEFRA today, but mr fixit (pet agent) called first thing and said he's heard back from the UK and our paperwork was all in order - crisis averted!!

We've now been able to book the cats flight, and DH has just gone to book ours......OMG, this is it, we're really going!!

e.t.a I'll update with the final costing once it's all confirmed.

Last edited by Red-Sea-Angel; Jul 3rd 2012 at 4:52 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

Fabulous news, Red-Sea-Angel, I'm so happy for you!!!
I'm still taking a break but it's so helpful to have the support and read the advice from the fabulous Brit Expats!!
Tanto
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 5:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thank you ladies for all of your help and advice

I was all set to call DEFRA today, but mr fixit (pet agent) called first thing and said he's heard back from the UK and our paperwork was all in order - crisis averted!!

We've now been able to book the cats flight, and DH has just gone to book ours......OMG, this is it, we're really going!!

e.t.a I'll update with the final costing once it's all confirmed.

Excellent.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

garfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the rough
Default Time limit on pet travel

Hi all.....
I am having trouble finding a vet here in Ca that seems to understand the Defra rules,(keep getting old or different info)

It seems better to ask people who have shipped already or who are, so here goes

1. Test for existing chip,
a. If readable proceed to next step
b. if not readable have new chip inserted
(my dog has a registered 9 digit chip have checked with Heathrow services they say they can read all chips)

2. Get rabies shot (dog is current on all vacs)

What happens from here? Paperwork etc

3. Go back to vet in 21 days for blood test

Again what needs to be done next paperwork etc

4. After this is done is there a time limit that I have to get him shipped into UK

I'm sure someone here can explain this to me in laymens terms
Thanks in advance

Garth
Old Jul 5th 2012, 7:06 pm

Default Re: Time limit on pet travel

Originally Posted by garfro
Hi all.....
I am having trouble finding a vet here in Ca that seems to understand the Defra rules,(keep getting old or different info)

It seems better to ask people who have shipped already or who are, so here goes

1. Test for existing chip,
a. If readable proceed to next step
b. if not readable have new chip inserted
(my dog has a registered 9 digit chip have checked with Heathrow services they say they can read all chips)

2. Get rabies shot (dog is current on all vacs)
You must have documentation that the chip was inserted before the rabies injection and the same cert must state where the chip is placed and the chip number, if not then go get the pet vaccinated again it will not harm them.

What happens from here? Paperwork etc

3. Go back to vet in 21 days for blood test

Again what needs to be done next paperwork etc

4. After this is done is there a time limit that I have to get him shipped into UK

I'm sure someone here can explain this to me in laymens terms
Thanks in advance

Garth
3. No you do not go back in 21 days for the blood test there is no test for the USA...As of the 21 days the pet can travel to the UK but you have to go to the vet and get a passport/vet cert valid within 10 days before you fly, once you have this you then go to the USDA and give them the vet cert and chip and the rabies cert authorised by the USDA.......Virgin wanted a 10 day window as well for thier own cert from the vet to let my cat fly, different airline may have a different time frame.

4. Yes you have 10 days from the day the vet does the exam and they give you the certificate.

Let me make this clear once you have the vet's certificate you can go to the USDA but the animal cannot fly into the UK until the 21 days mark is up...but you can get the paperwork authorised prior to this! VETS CERTIFCATE VALID 10 DAYS thats it.

Last edited by Poppy girl; Jul 5th 2012 at 7:11 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

garfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
3. No you do not go back in 21 days for the blood test there is no test for the USA...As of the 21 days the pet can travel to the UK but you have to go to the vet and get a passport/vet cert valid within 10 days before you fly, once you have this you then go to the USDA and give them the vet cert and chip and the rabies cert authorised by the USDA.......Virgin wanted a 10 day window as well for thier own cert from the vet to let my cat fly, different airline may have a different time frame.

4. Yes you have 10 days from the day the vet does the exam and they give you the certificate.

Let me make this clear once you have the vet's certificate you can go to the USDA but the animal cannot fly into the UK until the 21 days mark is up...but you can get the paperwork authorised prior to this! VETS CERTIFCATE VALID 10 DAYS thats it.

Thanks poppy girl, hope you are glad to be home,
Sorry for being so dense, I'm gonna go to the vet to see if chip can be read. If not I'm gonna have a new one put in, once that's done can I go ahead with rabies vac?
Once that is done are you saying that I can get cert from vet?
Then I got lost!!! That cert has to be sent to USDA (how? Fax FedEx?) then ok to travel in 10 day window
Sorry about this I think I am stressed out with all the other things I have to do and am having a problem figuring things out

Garth
Old Jul 6th 2012, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by garfro
Thanks poppy girl, hope you are glad to be home,
Sorry for being so dense, I'm gonna go to the vet to see if chip can be read. If not I'm gonna have a new one put in, once that's done can I go ahead with rabies vac?
Once that is done are you saying that I can get cert from vet?
Then I got lost!!! That cert has to be sent to USDA (how? Fax FedEx?) then ok to travel in 10 day window
Sorry about this I think I am stressed out with all the other things I have to do and am having a problem figuring things out

Garth
I am sure the chip will be able to be read LHR can read hundreds mine was a less recognised one for puss cat and it was fine....yes then go ahead with the rabies make sure chip number is recorded on the rabies certificate.
USDA the vet can fax the info I personally went into the office incase there were any questions.
10 days windows is from the day the vet gives the all clear so you need to have the pet out within those 10 days. or it will have to have another exam to travel.

I had my kitty examed on the Wednesday went to the USDA on the Thursday next day, and flew the following Thursday the next week.

ps if you are stressed you need to be in my situation, I flew back to the US from the UK had a 12 turn around, gave my job up and packed put all my stuff into storage, sorted the cat out closed down accounts, put the car into a storage as wel,l all with jet lag and no help....take a page from my book

Last edited by Poppy girl; Jul 6th 2012 at 6:13 am.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 11:55 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

For those going back to Scotland, it is possible to get the pet in to Edinburgh now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-fife-19466122
Old Sep 4th 2012, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
For those going back to Scotland, it is possible to get the pet in to Edinburgh now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-fife-19466122
I was just going to post this! Looks like the approved airlines are United, KLM and Lufthansa for now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.