Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

NEOM COMMUNITY THREAD

NEOM COMMUNITY THREAD

Old Apr 30th 2024, 11:34 am
Just Joined

zj215 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: NEOM COMMUNITY THREAD

Hi I was interviewed in Feb, received written offer which I accepted. At that point it was we need you here as quick as possible, then things slowed, as per the messages above I'm one of those people awaiting a contract. Makes me feel a bit jittery, as I was hoping to get things moving by now. I sent an email requesting an update yesterday as I'd heard no details for a couple of weeks. Am I correct in saying the 2024 still hasn't been signed off yet? I did see some finance details posted a couple of days ago but as someone points out its not going to finance all. I still see new jobs being posted on the neom site. One assumes therefore that these will be filled, and all is not lost. I've sort of put my job search on hold, annoyingly turned down a couple of job offers that came in the early days after my neom offer. Salary wise its not comparable and I love working in the ME, my preference, but I feel a bit miffed with the comms and time taken from NEOM. It is what it is, I'd just like to know either way whether they are rebuking the offer or it will go ahead at some point. Anyone had their offer withdrawn? Or thoughts? thanks
Old Apr 30th 2024, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Silly question if one gets accommodation in x camp and the office is in y I assume there is transport between the two? Or there are office cars transport etc. Basically whats the transport like between offices and camps, whats it like to drive in the region and north to the jordanian border. I've mostly worked in Jordan and Iraq in the past, Amman was a bit testy with the amount of traffic just wondering how driving compares around neom. Looks like new roads and hardly anyone in the area?
Old Apr 30th 2024, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

fs05 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zj215
Hi I was interviewed in Feb, received written offer which I accepted. At that point it was we need you here as quick as possible, then things slowed, as per the messages above I'm one of those people awaiting a contract. Makes me feel a bit jittery, as I was hoping to get things moving by now. I sent an email requesting an update yesterday as I'd heard no details for a couple of weeks. Am I correct in saying the 2024 still hasn't been signed off yet? I did see some finance details posted a couple of days ago but as someone points out its not going to finance all. I still see new jobs being posted on the neom site. One assumes therefore that these will be filled, and all is not lost. I've sort of put my job search on hold, annoyingly turned down a couple of job offers that came in the early days after my neom offer. Salary wise its not comparable and I love working in the ME, my preference, but I feel a bit miffed with the comms and time taken from NEOM. It is what it is, I'd just like to know either way whether they are rebuking the offer or it will go ahead at some point. Anyone had their offer withdrawn? Or thoughts? thanks
and what is the status on the portal against your profile, does it say "under offer" OR "in offer " OR something else ?
Old Apr 30th 2024, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

I didn't use the portal, I was contacted via an agent and the contract is through a consultancy on behalf of neom. Interviewed by the consultancy & neom jointly. I do no think the PO has been signed off by NEOM as yet.
Old Apr 30th 2024, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

clownshow is an unknown quantity at this point

Am I correct in saying the 2024 still hasn't been signed off yet? I did see some finance details posted a couple of days ago but as someone points out its not going to finance all. I still see new jobs being posted on the neom site. One assumes therefore that these will be filled, and all is not lost.
Its fairly clear from the way things are moving (slowing/freezing of recruitment, withdrawl of posts, lack of housing/schooling, reduction in contractual Ts&Cs, prioritising Saudi hires over expats) that there is a hole in NEOM's budget. This is not a surprise when you consider the original model was 50% internal investment, 50% external (which never materialised). The rumour mill says all big projects have a hole in their funding and this is now becoming problematic. You can see this reflected in a variety of stories, previously in the pushing back of timeline for project completion (2030) and the recent pushback to suggest 2030 is on target. The good news for NEOM is that, as recently reported, loans have been arranged through a conglomorate of banks that will assist with some of the issues. The bad news is I would suggest that is a short time fix.

The only advice I'd give in applying for any of the big projects here is keep your options open. Don't resign before it's a sure thing and make sure you understand that job security is nil, you can be binned at any time. Plan accordingly. Tax free salary is nice, but it's not a fortune that is being paid at NEOM, it's your salary plus a little bit more and no tax for living in the end of nowehere in a portacabin with nowhere to go and nothing to do. Weigh it up.

For those seeking work, look at the consultancies and PMCs, they seem to be faring better, so check those out aswell as with the projects directly.
Old Apr 30th 2024, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

pmcs, ? privately managed companies sorry can you clarify on the last line please. I agree with all that you have said and I'd say I would plan for an end of year tax bill anyway just in case things fold or something happens mid year / contract. You never know when you up sticks and move what can go wrong.
Old Apr 30th 2024, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

clownshow is an unknown quantity at this point

pmcs, ? privately managed companies sorry can you clarify on the last line please. I agree with all that you have said and I'd say I would plan for an end of year tax bill anyway just in case things fold or something happens mid year / contract. You never know when you up sticks and move what can go wrong.
Project Management Consultancies. Off the top of my head take a look at: Jasara, KBR, Jacobs, Mace.
Old Apr 30th 2024, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Innovator is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dannja016
Anyone on here have experience of the psychometric test - easy/hard? Any suggested prep? General advice? Thanks in advance!
keep a calculator handy
Old May 2nd 2024, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

BMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond repute

Silly question if one gets accommodation in x camp and the office is in y I assume there is transport between the two? Or there are office cars transport etc. Basically whats the transport like between offices and camps, whats it like to drive in the region and north to the jordanian border. I've mostly worked in Jordan and Iraq in the past, Amman was a bit testy with the amount of traffic just wondering how driving compares around neom. Looks like new roads and hardly anyone in the area?
Hi. Yes, there are shuttles between the communities. Frequency is based on volumes and reviewed regularly. Your department will have cars or some arrangement available if the shuttles don't suit.

Driving isn't too bad. The roads are reasonably new in the region and the network is growing regularly. There still can be a fair amount of traffic based on traffic. Clearing the border between KSA and Jordan cand also take some time.

Cheers,
Old May 2nd 2024, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

nen9889 is an unknown quantity at this point

The first week of May is here … has anyone had any movement on communication or offers?
Old May 2nd 2024, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

BritishExp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nen9889
The first week of May is here … has anyone had any movement on communication or offers?
We asked ourselves the same question in May 2023. I wonder how many new employees have been hired since then 🤣
Old May 2nd 2024, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

nen9889 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritishExp
We asked ourselves the same question in May 2023. I wonder how many new employees have been hired since then 🤣
Well that did make me laugh 😆 I totally get your point and understand that things haven’t moved on for many (it was only based on the latest info that HR gave me 2 weeks ago).
Old May 2nd 2024, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

fs05 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nen9889
Well that did make me laugh 😆 I totally get your point and understand that things haven’t moved on for many (it was only based on the latest info that HR gave me 2 weeks ago).
Havent heard yet....from what i gathered on this forum - couple of weeks is standard in Saudi. I would give or take 3-4 weeks before any of us hear anything. Exceptions will always be.

But if anyone on the forum receives an offer would appreciate if you can let the rest of us know about it. the wait seems to be never ending !
Old May 3rd 2024, 2:28 am
Just Joined

AusEngineer is an unknown quantity at this point

A question for anyone in the know, I've changed strategy and trying to apply for jobs directly through the Neom website (instead of relying on a recruiter) but do you know if the recruiters are savvy enough to look at my CV and apply it across the board, or will they only focus on reviewing my CV against the job/role I applied for?

Also does anyone know an easy way to tell what roles I've applied for? Construction Manager or Project Manager has at least a dozen roles being advertised all over the place and in different projects, but I can't see a list any where that tells me what roles I've applied for. It's not a good look if I keep applying for the same job 5 times!

Thanks in Advance.
Old May 3rd 2024, 7:10 am
Just Joined

hannibulk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fs05
Havent heard yet....from what i gathered on this forum - couple of weeks is standard in Saudi. I would give or take 3-4 weeks before any of us hear anything. Exceptions will always be.

But if anyone on the forum receives an offer would appreciate if you can let the rest of us know about it. the wait seems to be never ending !
Hi,

I received a verbal offer in January and got caught up in the hiring freeze. However, I am pleased to share that I received my offer on Sunday and the onboarding process/background screening process has already begun. So, looks like the freeze is over but I assume many teams are aligning post-budget so it may take time.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.