Teatime Choices

Old Dec 9th 2018, 11:30 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teatime Choices

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Ouzo? You can get Ouzo? What kind of 'undercover' trade deal is occurring here?

A very good friend was going for a TEFL interview in Athens and decided to lunch beforehand, ordered her meal with some bottled water.

First up is the glass, she looks in and thinks "they haven't cleaned it properly", so she slung the content on the pavement.
We've always had Ouzo, but in the old days it was Metaxa, and now the only one the liquor stores in Regina have is No.12.
Why did they bring your friend Ouzo when she ordered water?
Old Dec 9th 2018, 2:33 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
We've always had Ouzo, but in the old days it was Metaxa, and now the only one the liquor stores in Regina have is No.12.
The water came just a bit later, the Ouzo was a free aperitif, but she didn't realise.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 3:20 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The water came just a bit later, the Ouzo was a free aperitif, but she didn't realise.
It's a good one to order straight if you suspect a bar is watering their booze.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 7:42 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Does anyone eat kippers at supper time? I've usually had them for breakfast (Christmas most often), but have been craving kippers and morning hasn't been convenient.
Edit: Thawing out now - committed.

Last edited by caretaker; Dec 9th 2018 at 7:53 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 7:55 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone eat kippers at supper time? I've usually had them for breakfast (Christmas most often), but have been craving kippers and morning hasn't been convenient.
If I could find them here, then I definitely would. I'm having to make do with smoked mackerel, which is a very poor substitute for a kipper, but fine in other dishes. The last time I had kippers was in Scotland about seven years ago, and then they were only available for breakfast in the hotel.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 7:57 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

If I could find them here, then I definitely would. I'm having to make do with smoked mackerel, which is a very poor substitute for a kipper, but fine in other dishes. The last time I had kippers was in Scotland about seven years ago, and then they were only available for breakfast in the hotel.
The ones we get here are Neptune from Dundee, quite salty but I poach them in water and milk first to get most of it out then fry them in butter.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 8:33 pm
Gloves off

The ones we get here are Neptune from Dundee, quite salty but I poach them in water and milk first to get most of it out then fry them in butter.
Drib, drib, dribbling now.

I just checked on the Brit shop website where I found the sausages, and they have kipper fillets from Youngs, making the 260km round trip slightly more enticing - they won't ship fresh stuff.

However I have a good mate who's just moved to within 10km of the shop, I'm due to go up and visit him early next year. Patience...
Old Dec 9th 2018, 8:56 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Paired with Rebellion Brewing Amber Ale.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 10:16 pm
Gloves off

Paired with Rebellion Brewing Amber Ale.
Good grief, now I'm trembling, that looks so good.

Never thought of pairing them with ale, probably because I've only been used to having them at breakfast time.

Not that I'm averse to a beer in the morning, but it only tends to happen once every three or four years.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 10:23 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

When I have it for breakfast I like a little Scotch or Irish whiskey.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 10:30 pm
Gloves off

... Irish whiskey.
Sounds good to me, I'll report back as and when...
Old Dec 9th 2018, 11:53 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

LOVE Metaxa Brandy -

I used to really enjoy smoked haddock, my Mum used to poach them in a little milk. I've never got on with Kippers - mainly due to the multitude of small bones.

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 9th 2018 at 11:55 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2018, 6:07 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

I took mild Italian sausage meat and mixed it up with chopped shrimp and red onion, made little patties then battered and deep fried them, and used Stubb's Sweet Black Pepper Anytime Sauce as a dip.
Old Dec 19th 2018, 5:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday had good old egg and chips. Actifried chips. Fantastic.

St Hubert shrimp and salmon pie today. They really are very good.

Old Dec 19th 2018, 5:44 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

I'd try that. No Frills was supposed to have St Hubert tourtierre 2 sales ago but they never had any in stock - only chicken and broccoli.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.