Teatime Choices

Old Oct 12th 2018, 10:28 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teatime Choices

Deep fried battered shrimp. I couldn't decide whether I wanted garlic mayo or sweet chili sauce to dip them in, so have both. It's good to be the king.
edit: This is the point where I change the oil in the deep fryer. You can cook chips for a long time in the same oil but when you start using batter lots of little bits go to the bottom, and as soon as you start cooking wings or sausage or shrimp time starts running out fast, and you only do deep fried oysters once without an oil change before cooking something else. That's why I pan-fry my oysters.

Last edited by caretaker; Oct 13th 2018 at 12:14 am.
Old Oct 13th 2018, 12:55 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
...ou can cook chips for a long time in the same oil but...as soon as you start cooking wings...time starts running out fast...

We used to have a deep fat fryer and when we thought it was time for an oil change, we'd do wings or drumsticks and then change.

We got rid and now use the actifry which is great. But now I have a hankering for fish/sausage in batter which obviously won't do in the actifry.
Old Oct 13th 2018, 10:13 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Stepson decided to treat everyone to Chinese. But I find Canadian Chinese to be rather ordinary and their curries are totally different to British Chinese ones.

So while they had their won ton soups, ribs, chicken balls, rice , egg roll and veggies I made my own chicken curry and it was delicious.
I made two actually. One for the fridge.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 4:16 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Gruel.

I think she's trying to kill me.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 5:11 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by caretaker
Deep fried battered shrimp. .
Argh! I want that now. I have to do mine in a saucepan as I haven't a deep fat fryer. ( I do chips in a frying pan) I use tempura batter as it's the only one I can manage to make stick and come out half tidy.

Am thinking of buying a deep fat fryer. Reading this, perhaps I should just do that.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 8:19 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Scotch eggs

home made

i better get on and make them
Old Oct 17th 2018, 10:26 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Argh! I want that now. I have to do mine in a saucepan as I haven't a deep fat fryer. ( I do chips in a frying pan) I use tempura batter as it's the only one I can manage to make stick and come out half tidy.<br /><br />Am thinking of buying a deep fat fryer. Reading this, perhaps I should just do that.
<br /><br />While it does give me the freedom to make chips on a whim and a little more safety than a pan of boiling oil, it isn't a hard necessity. For small things like a handfull of shrimp or a few battered whatever a wok with just enough oil in the bottom and the Chinese "fishing basket" or slotted spoon does a good job. When a 1.5l deep fryer is on sale here it's usually half price, or about $30 - $40 Cdn (I'm on my 2nd one). I also have a 3l Bravetti in a box in the basement in case I ever need it again.
Old Oct 19th 2018, 9:03 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I'd arranged to go out for dinner with a friend tonight, but when I got home from work I was starving so I had a small bowl of muesli to keep me going until dinner. And when I say a small bowl of muesli I mean a big bowl of muesli.

So about half an hour later I was in food baby labour, sweating like a pig, stomach out like a zeppelin, knowing that I still had to go and have a meal in about a hour.
Old Oct 19th 2018, 9:08 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

I want to make chicken wings and shrimp, peppers, mushrooms etc, rice, and that spinach and garlic thing that sounds so good. There may be a case for getting the big cast-iron wok out of the bottom drawer of the stove. We'll see what I do.
Old Oct 19th 2018, 9:25 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

What does everyone think about the plausible report that says we need to cut our meat consumption by 90% to save the planet?

I eat much less meat than I used to. I like it but I just find it harder to ignore the fact that meat production is environmentally devastating.
Old Oct 19th 2018, 10:39 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
What does everyone think about the plausible report that says we need to cut our meat consumption by 90% to save the planet?.
I think it sounds plausible.
Old Oct 19th 2018, 10:50 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

What does everyone think about the plausible report that says we need to cut our meat consumption by 90% to save the planet? I eat much less meat than I used to. I like it but I just find it harder to ignore the fact that meat production is environmentally devastating.
Meet you halfway; I keep eating all the meat I want but allow you to produce it in as environmentally friendly a manner as you see fit. What I really liked was the period when I lived mostly off of meat and fish I hunted and caught myself. I think I was pretty healthy then.
Picked up some potstickers to go with supper tonight, just need to set the wheels in motion...
Old Oct 20th 2018, 12:15 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

What does everyone think about the plausible report that says we need to cut our meat consumption by 90% to save the planet?

I eat much less meat than I used to. I like it but I just find it harder to ignore the fact that meat production is environmentally devastating.
We don't eat much meat now. Mainly THXG and Christmas the rest of the time the only meat is the fish I catch. The only thing I really miss are sausage rolls.
Old Oct 20th 2018, 9:33 pm
Oscar nominated

We used Skip The Dishes to order from a Malaysian restaurant.
I ordered a bunch of appetiser things and one main course that could be divided up and I made some fried rice in case people didn't have enough.

I tried to satisfy all four of us. My stepdaughter will try anything, anything stepson doesn't recognise is weird and he's sceptical about it and mother in law is not very adventurous. But give her due, she will try...and she's always very happy that she's had something new.

The fried rice was unnecessary.
Old Oct 22nd 2018, 11:09 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Garlic spinach with meatballs, green onion, peppers and mushrooms, nuoc mam and soy.
Where the magic happens:
lol

Last edited by caretaker; Oct 23rd 2018 at 12:04 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.