Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Syrian refugee crisis.

Syrian refugee crisis.

Old Sep 11th 2015, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Syrian refugee crisis.

Originally Posted by Shard
It's really a shame that there is so much paranoia that the Syrian refugees represent a serious terrorist risk. Newsflash: terrorists exist, foreign and homegrown, and rejecting a mass of homeless people is not going to change that. You can argue that you don't want to pay or you don't want the cultural impact, but arguing potential terrorism is ridiculous.
Not sure if you are aiming that at me but I'm not arguing we don't let refugees in based on there being terrorists amongst them or even that we shouldn't take refugees. I'm arguing bats & Tirytorys earlier comment that these people became terrorists because of the way they've been treated
Old Sep 11th 2015, 4:03 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confused_uk
I think the fact that a lot of these terrorists seem to have come from Britain, one of the most tolerant pc countries in the world, proves that your leftie mollycoddling ideas bare no positive influence over these type of people & seem to have the opposite effect
a few numbers ....other than those reported in the Daily fail, Independent or the Guardian newspapers, quoting some wishy washy 'maybe, this or that' from some politician, group or retired Mi5 terrorism expert

A clip from David Camreron's press statement [source] the BBC

Cameron considers ban on UK jihadists returning home - BBC News

"At least 500 people from the UK are thought to have gone to fight in Syria, although ministers say they do not know the exact number.
The number of people arrested in the UK for Syria-related activity stands at 69, according to a recent briefing by senior police officers."

From Mi5 in its press conference, see point item 7 and 12

https://www.mi5.gov.uk/home/about-us...ntability.html

Last edited by not2old; Sep 11th 2015 at 4:14 pm. Reason: added link
Old Sep 11th 2015, 4:18 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if you are aiming that at me but I'm not arguing we don't let refugees in based on there being terrorists amongst them or even that we shouldn't take refugees. I'm arguing bats & Tirytorys earlier comment that these people became terrorists because of the way they've been treated
Not sure whom I am aiming at, just clarifying what I perceive as misperception on the thread. On the latter point, about Brits becoming terrorists, I would argue most ill treatment is self inflicted. Communities choose not to integrate. Probably more towards your viewpoint.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
All you did was quote figures, any fool can do that. I want a reputable unbiased source please.
Hang on you started this topic... All I asked you to do was provide an unbiased reputable source to back up your assumption of all these terrorists raised in the UK? Clearly you are unable to do so and so have moved on to mockery... Well done you, aren't you clever.
you can slow clap all you like, I haven't pointed anything out. I asked you to provide evidence to back up your assertion. I'm glad you're admitting that you were talking tripe in your original post. Progress
Please keep up this is getting exhausting. The only figure I gave was 'a lot' Bristol came up with 500 after a quick google search & argued could this defined as 'a lot', I then googled & found other places saying 2000+ nowhere did we say that any of these figures were fact. The facts are that Brits HAVE joined ISIS & if you are trying to dispute that you have been living under a rock for the past year.

Are you following this now, are we making "progress"?
Old Sep 11th 2015, 4:22 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure whom I am aiming at, just clarifying what I perceive as misperception on the thread. On the latter point, about Brits becoming terrorists, I would argue most ill treatment is self inflicted. Communities choose not to integrate. Probably more towards your viewpoint.
I wasn't even talking about refugees in the UK. My original point was leaving vulnerable young men in a country such as Syria while the world says not my problem is an excellent way to covert them to a cause.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 4:23 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't even talking about refugees in the UK. My original point was leaving vulnerable young men in a country such as Syria while the world says not my problem is an excellent way to covert them to a cause.
Oh, ok. Agree with that bit.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 4:25 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Please keep up this is getting exhausting. The only figure I gave was 'a lot' Bristol came up with 500 after a quick google search & argued could this defined as 'a lot', I then googled & found other places saying 2000+ nowhere did we say that any of these figures were fact. The facts are that Brits HAVE joined ISIS & if you are trying to dispute that you have been living under a rock for the past year.

Are you following this now, are we making "progress"?
Sigh.

I guess you get your journalistic skills from the Daily Mail? Pick a number, quote it as fact, sensational headline, admit you were talking crap, back track - apology in small print on page 27.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, & by no means am I implying that none of them want to integrate (before that bandwagon gets jumped on) but there is definitely a percentage (vague enough for everyone?) who don't wish to. I lived in Tower Hamlets for 4 years, I've had first hand experience of this attitude
Old Sep 11th 2015, 4:44 pm
Yo

Yes, & by no means am I implying that none of them want to integrate (before that bandwagon gets jumped on) but there is definitely a percentage (vague enough for everyone?) who don't wish to. I lived in Tower Hamlets for 4 years, I've had first hand experience of this attitude
Absolutely. Can't believe the changes there.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sigh.

I guess you get your journalistic skills from the Daily Mail? Pick a number, quote it as fact, sensational headline, admit you were talking crap, back track - apology in small print on page 27.
Oh look the old you must daily fail because you disagree with me train just rolled in again. Change the record please, bored of that one now.

Can you learn to read & comprehend my comments instead of misunderstanding & ranting on about something which I didn't say.

I N E V E R (there you go, said it slowly to help you grasp it) stated any number was a fact. I'm not back tracking, I'm explaining as you seemed to to be unable to read what's in front of you in black & white.

"Progress" yet? Probabyl not
Old Sep 11th 2015, 5:54 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Oh look the old you must daily fail because you disagree with me train just rolled in again. Change the record please, bored of that one now.

Can you learn to read & comprehend my comments instead of misunderstanding & ranting on about something which I didn't say.

I N E V E R (there you go, said it slowly to help you grasp it) stated any number was a fact. I'm not back tracking, I'm explaining as you seemed to to be unable to read what's in front of you in black & white.

"Progress" yet? Probabyl not
You need a beer
Old Sep 11th 2015, 6:02 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I like this thread. It's entertaining in a way that I imagine a facebook full of old people would be, except with less minion memes.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 6:05 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
You need a beer
two in fact & don't forget the suicide wings

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I like this thread. It's entertaining in a way that I imagine a facebook full of old people would be, except with less minion memes.

especially on a Friday...oops
Old Sep 11th 2015, 6:09 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Quite a few newbies.

Reminds me of Hooters in a way.

People come in. Get drunk and annoying then move on.

More people come in. Cycle repeats.

I have no idea how the girls put up with it to be honest. It's certainly an industry where you develop a thick skin.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 6:12 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by not2old
two in fact & don't forget the suicide wings
These days suicide is rather on the mild side.

If one wants a light up for the next 24 hours then "Hot as Hell" or "Armageddon" is the way.

I had no problem with hot wings but when my stomach lining got torn back in late 2012 I realised I was not going to live for ever.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.