Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Syrian refugee crisis.

Syrian refugee crisis.

Old Sep 11th 2015, 12:07 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Syrian refugee crisis.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
So what are your thoughts on Canadians who are innocent and homeless don't they deserve priority care?
Some of those who were accepted as refugees several years ago before the Syria crisis began have turned their back on Canada as they have refused to integrate and committed some horrible crimes (not all terrorism offences) and have since been deported. Perhaps google Somalians and Sudanese deported from Canada to see what Im talking about.
We can't help everyone.
You don't damn the many because of the few.

As for the claptrap argument about helping Canadians, how were you helping when they needed help and there weren't any damn foreigners to blame? Were you volunteering at the food bank? Serving dinners at the mission? Do tell.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 12:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Wow some reading this thread may think Im the cause of the Syrian refugee crisis and only choose to comment against my views in select areas as opposed to my views as a whole. I have made my point very very clear and in case its not sinking in I shall repeat it

I have no problems in the Syrian refugees who have registered with the UNHRC and are currently in refugee camps in various countries being accepted by Canada but I don't think we will be accepting the 4 yes 4 million who have registered. We also have a duty to help our own citizens who are in need as well and how I help others is my business not yours.
For all those who want to help then feel free to do so but for all the ones stating we must do this and do that then feel free to answer the following questions if you have the guts or answers because I certainly don't have them answers that is.

1. How may Syrian refugees should we accept?
2. How do we get them from Europe to here and what will it cost?
3. Where do we settle them?
4. Should these Syrians take priority over those who have been in the refugee camps longer than they have who also want a better life perhaps in Canada.
These figures are taken from the UNHCRs website

Number of forcibly displaced worldwide: 59.5 million
Number of Refugees
There were 19.5 million refugees worldwide at the end of 2014, 14.4 million under the mandate of UNHCR, around 2.9 million more than in 2013.
The other 5.1 million Palestinian refugees are registered with the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA).
UNHCR:Facts and Figures on Refugees

Rather than venting your frustration on me vent in on others as Im not the cause.
And depending on the mugging situation I would either call the Police or if circumstances allowed intervene and subdue the mugger by any means necessary
is that a sufficient answer.
I hope to read some valid answers and carefully thought out plans to my questions posed above.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 1:20 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
You don't damn the many because of the few.

As for the claptrap argument about helping Canadians, how were you helping when they needed help and there weren't any damn foreigners to blame? Were you volunteering at the food bank? Serving dinners at the mission? Do tell.
We need to look after our own first, say people who would never help anyone
Old Sep 11th 2015, 1:31 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Wow some reading this thread may think Im the cause of the Syrian refugee crisis and only choose to comment against my views in select areas as opposed to my views as a whole. I have made my point very very clear and in case its not sinking in I shall repeat it

I have no problems in the Syrian refugees who have registered with the UNHRC and are currently in refugee camps in various countries being accepted by Canada but I don't think we will be accepting the 4 yes 4 million who have registered. We also have a duty to help our own citizens who are in need as well and how I help others is my business not yours.
For all those who want to help then feel free to do so but for all the ones stating we must do this and do that then feel free to answer the following questions if you have the guts or answers because I certainly don't have them answers that is.

4. Should these Syrians take priority over those who have been in the refugee camps longer than they have who also want a better life perhaps in Canada.

Number of forcibly displaced worldwide: 59.5 million
Number of Refugees
There were 19.5 million refugees worldwide at the end of 2014, 14.4 million under the mandate of UNHCR, around 2.9 million more than in 2013.
The other 5.1 million Palestinian refugees are registered with the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA).
UNHCR:Facts and Figures on Refugees

Rather than venting your frustration on me vent in on others as Im not the cause.
And depending on the mugging situation I would either call the Police or if circumstances allowed intervene and subdue the mugger by any means necessary
is that a sufficient answer.
I hope to read some valid answers and carefully thought out plans to my questions posed above.
No one needs to answer those questions. We have elected officials and public servants funded by our tax to deal with what ever we decide to vote for at the election.

The cost of human life should be immaterial.

Once you tell us where you live I'll tell you exactly where we should settle them.

In the meantime anonymously posting open ended questions into a forum where other people at best will only be able to guesstimate is a waste of poster time.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
No one needs to answer those questions. We have elected officials and public servants funded by our tax to deal with what ever we decide to vote for at the election.

The cost of human life should be immaterial.

Once you tell us where you live I'll tell you exactly where we should settle them.

In the meantime anonymously posting open ended questions into a forum where other people at best will only be able to guesstimate is a waste of poster time.
Why is it so important to you where I live and for the record the city in which I live in has already received some Syrian refugees in May 2014 and I suspect we have received some more and have pledged to take in more.

As for the cost of human life a doctor actually in my city was just found negligent in performing a supposed easy procedure and she was fined $18,000 so that is the cost in that case of a life. Some who kill others don't get fined and are sent to prison so what is that cost. Some people just get away with it at no cost or very expensive legal fees.

As for the guesstimate some posters won't even answer the questions posed as they don't have any answers or a clue yet want something done. And wanting elected officials to do something achieves the same as they don't know exactly how to deal with it etc etc they just want to look and sound good in media bites.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 2:43 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't be bothered to read this.

Why on earth do we need a second thread on this?????
Wowsa, you have a hint of arrogance about you I smell with my impeccable canine nose
Old Sep 11th 2015, 2:48 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Because its their own Govt doing it to their own citizens. The Nazis i.e. Germany invaded several countries and rounded up the Jews in those countries and we have all seen what the end result of that was...... Snipped
So the 200000 or so German Jews remaining in Germany at the start of the war didn't count as it was their own government? All the homosexuals, disabled people, Roma?

As you invoked Godwin's law I'll carry on with the theme. During that period several ships carrying refugees were refused entry by various countries, actions that really condemned the passengers to death.

For example the MS St Louis had 1000 Jewish people fleeing Germany. Mexico, Cuba, the USA, and Canada refused them entry so the ship had to take them back to Europe. Guess what happened to many of them.

Anti Jewish feelings were pretty rife then as is anti Muslim sentiment now, most people didn't want the Jews and the war wasn't about saving them. I worry when I see all this stuff about "look after our own first".
Old Sep 11th 2015, 3:08 am
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Wowsa, you have a hint of arrogance about you I smell with my impeccable canine nose
Arrogance is an unfriendly word my friend
Old Sep 11th 2015, 3:17 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Arrogance is an unfriendly word my friend
You frequently in my humble opinion respond in a somewhat arrogant and belligerent manner, I chose my word carefully having read many of your recent posts. It has nothing to do with friendliness nor unfriendliness, just an observation that I felt was appropriate.

Last edited by Stinkypup; Sep 11th 2015 at 3:29 am.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 3:52 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

1. Personal Attacks
BritishExpats.com is an interactive site, and everyone who participates is “in it together”, please treat others the way you wish to be treated. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. Challenge others’ points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully … without insult or personal attack.

Just a reminder, as I can see this thread has the potential to get down and dirty.

Play nicely, please and thank you.

Old Sep 11th 2015, 3:52 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

1. Canada, up to 500,000
2. Planes, probably $500 each (chartered, no tax levied)
3. Maratimes, needs a population boost
4. No, similar priority

BTW, if you watch the news footage of Syrian cities, with ISIS combing the bombed out streets for victims, it looks eerily familiar to 1940s Europe.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 9:48 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

posted elsewhere, I am totally against Canadian taking in asylum seekers, refugees or any form of foreign aid.

to answer FL question points...

1. zero

2 - 3 we don't

4. don't know & don't care

FL, are you able to answer your own question - if so, please post your answer to points 1 to 4
Old Sep 11th 2015, 11:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by not2old
posted elsewhere, I am totally against Canadian taking in asylum seekers, refugees or any form of foreign aid.

to answer FL question points...

1. zero

2 - 3 we don't

4. don't know & don't care

FL, are you able to answer your own question - if so, please post your answer to points 1 to 4
From some of the reports I have been reading Provinces are willing to accept 5000 so with 10 provinces and 3 territories lets start with 65,000 (5000 each).

We could lobby the private sector transportation companies like Air Canada, BA, Lufthansa, Norwegian Cruise Lines to supply aircraft and ships to get them to Canada. Im sure they wouldn't charge us.

We then revert back to the other 60 million displaced people around the world to see what we can do to help them.

Each Province can then raise its Provincial Tax rate by 1% and the funds could be used to offset the costs to settling these people. Those without a sales tax would impose a temporary rate of 1% until these people have integrated into society and are now becoming productive members i.e. working themselves and paying taxes etc.
If the 1% sales tax is insufficient then the Feds can raise the GST by 1% for a defined period.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 11:28 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

From some of the reports I have been reading Provinces are willing to accept 5000 so with 10 provinces and 3 territories lets start with 65,000 (5000 each).

We could lobby the private sector transportation companies like Air Canada, BA, Lufthansa, Norwegian Cruise Lines to supply aircraft and ships to get them to Canada. Im sure they wouldn't charge us.

We then revert back to the other 60 million displaced people around the world to see what we can do to help them.

Each Province can then raise its Provincial Tax rate by 1% and the funds could be used to offset the costs to settling these people. Those without a sales tax would impose a temporary rate of 1% until these people have integrated into society and are now becoming productive members i.e. working themselves and paying taxes etc.
If the 1% sales tax is insufficient then the Feds can raise the GST by 1% for a defined period.
yeah I suppose & you did not directly answer the points questions 1 to 4 either

On the 'we could' points above - outside of the humanitarian aspect, what about the cost?

So you reckon more money needs to be found [from the taxpayer] should Canada agree to take in these new lot of refugees, all the while a $28 billion dollar or so in interest payments towards the national debt, which equates to a $17,000 per head on every Canadian, increasing by the minute & the government wants to put the extra load on us .... its nuts IMO

Canada's National Debt Clock : The Canadian Taxpayers Federation

From the annual budget there is $20 billion + of the budget that goes to defense, another $3 billion or so to foreign aid, while the welfare of Canadians is lacking & the poverty in Canada is way too high. I guess every day Canadians are not so important to the folks in Ottawa eh!

Charity begins at home. Take care of your own before thinking of giving to outsiders
Old Sep 11th 2015, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bats
So the 200000 or so German Jews remaining in Germany at the start of the war didn't count as it was their own government? All the homosexuals, disabled people, Roma?

As you invoked Godwin's law I'll carry on with the theme. During that period several ships carrying refugees were refused entry by various countries, actions that really condemned the passengers to death.

For example the MS St Louis had 1000 Jewish people fleeing Germany. Mexico, Cuba, the USA, and Canada refused them entry so the ship had to take them back to Europe. Guess what happened to many of them.

Anti Jewish feelings were pretty rife then as is anti Muslim sentiment now, most people didn't want the Jews and the war wasn't about saving them. I worry when I see all this stuff about "look after our own first".
Sorry my reading skills might be a bit off this early in the morning as I can't decipher how this reply answers the 4 questions about the Syrian refugee crisis I posed to you and others.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.