Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Syrian refugee crisis.

Syrian refugee crisis.

Old Sep 10th 2015, 1:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Syrian refugee crisis.

Yes I know there is another thread about this but Im doing this one from my perspective and looking at it from another angle that isn't talked about.
Its not just Syria there are other countries involved like Somalia for example or the Sudan and quite a few other places.
Sure we all sympathize with their plight especially when we see pictures of children affected by this. They are the innocent ones along with the rest of their families HOWEVER there are those who we might not wish to have integrated into whatever countries we live in that are stable and great places to live in.

How many can Canada afford to take in and where do we relocate them to. Im guessing not many would choose Iqaluit, Rankin Inlet, Thompson and a host of other places within Canada.
How do we screen these people who have no documents and we have no idea who they are or what their background is. The vast majority of refugees (not those chosen from UNHCR refugee camps) some would say almost all are allowed to make their claim once they arrive. They need to get medicals done and eventually are given work permits until their claim has been dealt with. if granted refugee status they then apply for PR status and eventually Canadian citizenship.

The vast majority move on to become productive members of society and indeed are thankful BUT there are those willing to not integrate or found to be not credible claimants or have committed serious crimes or indeed members of prescribed groups who will carry out their aims within Canada's borders. Yes I admit these numbers are only a small minority but the fact is they are already here or on their way and this is from experience not Harper fear mongering as others are claiming.
Yes we have our own citizens who commit horrendous crimes and we can't deport them but with those who are not Canadian citizens that is an option we have.

I have no problems with Canada accepting those who have been screened at UNHCR camps my problem is those who have NOT BEEN screened or it is very hard to do. Are ISIS posing as these refugees who knows but there are indications that they are.

Yes my view is somewhat different to others but its my opinion that we need to be somewhat careful and just not open the border to all and sundry. Those who choose not to register with the UNHCR or elect to make their own way to whatever country are the ones we should be concerned with to a degree.

There is no easy fix and no easy solution and yes we need to help but we should also be aware that there could be potential problems if we admit too many and what the costs will be to those unable to integrate etc etc.
Healthcare costs alone will skyrocket and is sufficient housing available?

I still haven't heard how many of these are destined to South American countries, China, Russia and the 5 richest Middle East countries i.e. Saudi Arabia, UAE, Qatar, Kuwait and Bahrain who have accepted ZERO yes ZERO of these refugees.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Syrian refugee crisis.

My view is that in just one summer, ISIS has established the nucleus of an Islamic caliphate in Europe, even the most pessimistic of folk could not have envisioned this in such a short time.

I agree that there are far more genuine people in need and should and will be accepted as refugees, but we are not to know with any certainty at this time, how the second and third generation decendent of a refugee will act when they live in a secular or Christian country, that they feel is not a place they wish to live in harmony with others. What a bloody mess this is.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 3:03 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

As Canada has no easy route of access that can bypass the boarder you have a choice

Its those European countries that have been in effect invaded, the boarder controls bypassed that now have to live with this issue...

the talk of distribution fairly of these people within the EU is nice, but as they have shown, they'll walk to where they want to be and boarders are no issue...

it is many things... but one is clear its a mess and one that can't be easily tidied up
Old Sep 10th 2015, 3:12 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Yes I know there is another thread about this but Im doing this one from my perspective and looking at it from another angle that isn't talked about.
Its not just Syria there are other countries involved like Somalia for example or the Sudan and quite a few other places.
Sure we all sympathize with their plight especially when we see pictures of children affected by this. They are the innocent ones along with the rest of their families HOWEVER there are those who we might not wish to have integrated into whatever countries we live in that are stable and great places to live in.

How many can Canada afford to take in and where do we relocate them to. Im guessing not many would choose Iqaluit, Rankin Inlet, Thompson and a host of other places within Canada.
How do we screen these people who have no documents and we have no idea who they are or what their background is. The vast majority of refugees (not those chosen from UNHCR refugee camps) some would say almost all are allowed to make their claim once they arrive. They need to get medicals done and eventually are given work permits until their claim has been dealt with. if granted refugee status they then apply for PR status and eventually Canadian citizenship.

The vast majority move on to become productive members of society and indeed are thankful BUT there are those willing to not integrate or found to be not credible claimants or have committed serious crimes or indeed members of prescribed groups who will carry out their aims within Canada's borders. Yes I admit these numbers are only a small minority but the fact is they are already here or on their way and this is from experience not Harper fear mongering as others are claiming.
Yes we have our own citizens who commit horrendous crimes and we can't deport them but with those who are not Canadian citizens that is an option we have.

I have no problems with Canada accepting those who have been screened at UNHCR camps my problem is those who have NOT BEEN screened or it is very hard to do. Are ISIS posing as these refugees who knows but there are indications that they are.

Yes my view is somewhat different to others but its my opinion that we need to be somewhat careful and just not open the border to all and sundry. Those who choose not to register with the UNHCR or elect to make their own way to whatever country are the ones we should be concerned with to a degree.

There is no easy fix and no easy solution and yes we need to help but we should also be aware that there could be potential problems if we admit too many and what the costs will be to those unable to integrate etc etc.
Healthcare costs alone will skyrocket and is sufficient housing available?

I still haven't heard how many of these are destined to South American countries, China, Russia and the 5 richest Middle East countries i.e. Saudi Arabia, UAE, Qatar, Kuwait and Bahrain who have accepted ZERO yes ZERO of these refugees.
Couldn't be bothered to read this.

Why on earth do we need a second thread on this?????
Old Sep 10th 2015, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Couldn't be bothered to read this.

Why on earth do we need a second thread on this?????
Perhaps seeing it from a different perspective of someone who actually works in the system that deals with refugees and has 1st hand experience rather than listening to some MP or wannabe PM or pundit who has no clue and would rather Canada just open up its borders to all and sundry.
They just want to look good and pretend they are concerned without thinking of the ramifications that could ensue if we accept these people without proper screening.
I have heard talk from all the Premiers saying we can accept 5,000 in our Province but not one has put a definitive plan forward as to how they will be integrated and will the Provinces be paying or be expecting the Feds to pay for it all as last time I checked all Provinces are mired in substantial debt.
As has been said before its easy to spend other peoples money. And you seriously don't believe this is not a problem that cannot be easily solved but words will solve it?
Old Sep 10th 2015, 3:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

If there's one thing that this has shown it's that 'economic migrants' are NOT all desperate to get to "soft touch" UK.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 3:40 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

You come back after not posting for a while and FL is still making all topics about his job. This must be what it's like to have seen Yes in concert, probably.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BristolUK
If there's one thing that this has shown it's that 'economic migrants' are NOT all desperate to get to "soft touch" UK.
True and I posted an interesting story on the other thread about Syrian refugees who arrived in Uruguay over a YEAR ago who are not happy and want to go back.
Syrians resettled in Uruguay: We want to go back - CNN.com

So what is it exactly they want? These were offered protection well before the events over the last month and today and tomorrow yet still want to go back.
Isn't Uruguay safer than Syria?
Old Sep 10th 2015, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Alan2005
You come back after not posting for a while and FL is still making all topics about his job. This must be what it's like to have seen Yes in concert, probably.
Welcome back Alan2005. Im sure you have a solution for this
Old Sep 10th 2015, 3:44 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

... than listening to some MP or wannabe PM or pundit who has no clue and would rather Canada just open up its borders to all and sundry.
Seriously, who is suggesting Canada opens its border to "all and sundry?"

As an expert, exactly how many Syrians have turned up at Canada's border claiming asylum?

Last edited by JonboyE; Sep 10th 2015 at 3:46 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 3:47 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back Alan2005. Im sure you have a solution for this
It's a complex issue, but one thing most people don't seem to understand until I explain it to them is that I just don't care.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Seriously, who is suggesting Canada opens its border to "all and sundry?"

As an expert, exactly how many Syrians have turn up at Canada's border claiming asylum?
I don't know as I only work at one POE. Now at another POE near me they are averaging around 50 Somalians a month making claims who crossed into Canada illegally from the USA. Im not claiming to be an expert (your words) but I do have a bit of knowledge on how the system works and how it is sometimes abused.
I have no idea how many will or won't turn up and neither does anyone else as they don't give us a heads up. Im sure many have families within Canada and will now make their way from Europe to Canada and make a claim be it on genuine or false documents.
I have no problem with those coming from the UNHCR camps who have been screened and vetted.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE
As an expert, exactly how many Syrians have turned up at Canada's border claiming asylum?
Droves. It's always droves.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 4:03 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Well Cameron reckons its a swarm.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A tsunami is now the buzz word. On the tsunami theme there are waves and waves of them turning up on our shores.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.