Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Syrian refugee crisis.

Syrian refugee crisis.

Old Sep 10th 2015, 4:11 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Syrian refugee crisis.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I don't know as I only work at one POE.
It is 233 so far this year. So a bit of extra work for your chums but Syria does not even make the top 10 of countries of origin of asylum seekers in Canada. You do realize that Syrians need a visa to travel to Canada so everyone that arrives has already undergone a level of security clearance? How on earth does issuing travel visas equate to opening the borders to all and sundry?

A storm in a teacup. At least I hope that is all it is.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 4:13 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

A tsunami is now the buzz word. On the tsunami theme there are waves and waves of them turning up on our shores.
But of course, there isn't. The % is miniscule. I think Simon Jenkins was spot on in this OpEd...

If this is the best Britain can do for refugees, it’s sickening | Simon Jenkins | Comment is free | The Guardian
Old Sep 10th 2015, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It is 233 so far this year. So a bit of extra work for your chums but Syria does not even make the top 10 of countries of origin of asylum seekers in Canada. You do realize that Syrians need a visa to travel to Canada so everyone that arrives has already undergone a level of security clearance? How on earth does issuing travel visas equate to opening the borders to all and sundry?

A storm in a teacup. At least I hope that is all it is.
Mmmm after speaking to several CIC colleagues who have worked in overseas visa offices it just might surprise you how lax some of those checks are which of course no CIC official will ever admit. There again you don't have to believe me.

Didn't the 2 Indian citizens who just recently drowned trying to be smuggled into the USA submit visa applications to be issued study permits to come and study in Canada and several days later after arriving ended up dead. Do you think they were being smuggled into the USA to do some weekend shopping?
Possible human smuggling on the river, two Indian men drown - News - Cornwall Seaway News

Human smuggling incident near Cornwall, Ont., ends in 2 deaths, police allege - Ottawa - CBC News
Old Sep 10th 2015, 4:36 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

A tsunami is now the buzz word. On the tsunami theme there are waves and waves of them turning up on our shores.
Compare people to things they are terrified of and it puts fear in other people.

It just seems to me that, in this forum, there are too many people who invest far too much time on the wrong types of media.

You should be glad of the extra work and job security.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Compare people to things they are terrified of and it puts fear in other people.

It just seems to me that, in this forum, there are too many people who invest far too much time on the wrong types of media.

You should be glad of the extra work and job security.
I have enough job security without the current crisis and if called upon to do extra work then I will do it.
Because of the media and 24/7/365 online news and articles by some good journos and some not so good ones what are we to believe?
We as Canadians can't save the world but we can help and encourage others as well Im looking at you the 5 Gulf States who have not pledged to take in ANY of these people according to media reports.

I just hope and perhaps pray that in several weeks we are not reading about an incident in X country involving a group who entered X country as perceived refugees and welcomed and carry out some form of terrible attack. If this does happen then be prepared for the We told you so brigade to be out in droves and who will be accountable?
Old Sep 10th 2015, 5:44 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I have enough job security without the current crisis and if called upon to do extra work then I will do it.
Because of the media and 24/7/365 online news and articles by some good journos and some not so good ones what are we to believe?
We as Canadians can't save the world but we can help and encourage others as well Im looking at you the 5 Gulf States who have not pledged to take in ANY of these people according to media reports.

I just hope and perhaps pray that in several weeks we are not reading about an incident in X country involving a group who entered X country as perceived refugees and welcomed and carry out some form of terrible attack. If this does happen then be prepared for the We told you so brigade to be out in droves and who will be accountable?
The "We Told You So" brigade will be out regardless.

It's what people who follow these negative media's do.

Sit there and live in fear and then sooner or later their fear is proved correct and they continue to live in fear.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 5:50 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by Shard
But of course, there isn't. The % is miniscule. I think Simon Jenkins was spot on in this OpEd...

If this is the best Britain can do for refugees, it’s sickening | Simon Jenkins | Comment is free | The Guardian
Kicking off in the comments below.

Britain is a very paranoid country. I certainly don't miss that side of it.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 10:08 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

So to prevent this happening many innocent people will remain homeless. Seems fair, not likely to drive angry, insulted, tormented people towards an extremist group promises them what they want to hear it's a self fulfilling prophecy.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bats
So to prevent this happening many innocent people will remain homeless. Seems fair, not likely to drive angry, insulted, tormented people towards an extremist group promises them what they want to hear it's a self fulfilling prophecy.
So what are your thoughts on Canadians who are innocent and homeless don't they deserve priority care?
Some of those who were accepted as refugees several years ago before the Syria crisis began have turned their back on Canada as they have refused to integrate and committed some horrible crimes (not all terrorism offences) and have since been deported. Perhaps google Somalians and Sudanese deported from Canada to see what Im talking about.
We can't help everyone.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 10:24 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I absolutely agree... What better way is there to create terrorists than for human kind to turn their back on them?
Old Sep 10th 2015, 10:26 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

So what are your thoughts on Canadians who are innocent and homeless don't they deserve priority care?
Some of those who were accepted as refugees several years ago before the Syria crisis began have turned their back on Canada as they have refused to integrate and committed some horrible crimes (not all terrorism offences) and have since been deported. Perhaps google Somalians and Sudanese deported from Canada to see what Im talking about.
We can't help everyone.
I guess you would have left the Jews to die in concentration camps? Stay where you are, don't try to flee, we can't help everyone. How is it different?
Old Sep 10th 2015, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I guess you would have left the Jews to die in concentration camps? Stay where you are, don't try to flee, we can't help everyone. How is it different?
Obviously you have not read my comments closely enough on the current crisis.
Are you now suggesting that the 1940s is the same as 2015. Is the world a better place now? I don't see any wars similar to WW2 taking place.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 11:14 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Are you now suggesting that the 1940s is the same as 2015. Is the world a better place now? I don't see any wars similar to WW2 taking place.
I see a nation being persecuted, left homeless and starving, robbed of their belongings. How is it different? No the world isn't a better place now, I think people are disinterested and only out for their own gain. The western world let's all kind of atrocities happen now and actively participates in some of them..
Old Sep 10th 2015, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I see a nation being persecuted, left homeless and starving, robbed of their belongings. How is it different? No the world isn't a better place now, I think people are disinterested and only out for their own gain. The western world let's all kind of atrocities happen now and actively participates in some of them..
Because its their own Govt doing it to their own citizens. The Nazis i.e. Germany invaded several countries and rounded up the Jews in those countries and we have all seen what the end result of that was so yes there is a difference in my opinion FWIW.
Taken from another source
How many refugees are there?
Four million Syrians have registered or are awaiting registration with the United Nations High Commission of Refugees, who is leading the regional emergency response.
Thats 4 million registered not counting the estimated 8 million not registered with the UNHCR. So are you proposing Canada accepts 12 million when other countries including the 5 richest Middle East countries are accepting ZERO yes ZERO refugees who they have more in common with the Syrians than Canada has. You are now seeing the religious aspect coming into play with countries saying We don't need anymore or any Muslim refugees. Sad but true.
https://www.mercycorps.org/articles/...t-syria-crisis
Old Sep 10th 2015, 11:31 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

If you saw someone being mugged would you bother to call the Police?

I'm guessing you wouldn't. Not your problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.