Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Oct 6th 2022, 1:36 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

That's too funny
Old Oct 17th 2022, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Some of us will be familiar with 5 Guys Burger stores in Canada. Cant say I use them very often as I find better burgers and prices at mom and pop burger bars.

So they have opened one in Preston and the local paper sent a reporter.

We sent reporter Hannah Bridgeman down to the sample the menu and report back to readers. Her order included the ‘Little Bacon Cheeseburger’ (£7.35), and ‘Little Cajun Fries’ (£3.15) with a refillable drink (£3.75), and a Five Guys Shake Oreo Cookie flavoured (£5.25). The total stacked up up to £19.50 – not unsubstantial but, reported Hannah, well worth it.

So using the local Canadian store the Little Bacon Cheeseburger is $9.59 Little Cajun Fries $4.49 Regular Drink $3.09 (Large) $3.29 and Oreo Cookie shake $5.79 subtotal $29.46 probably plus 1.47 GST and PST $2.06 = $32.99

Rough conversion 19.50 x 1.56 = $30.45.

Does that seem reasonable to pay over $30 for that which would be considered a lunch meal?
Old Oct 17th 2022, 9:23 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Had Five Guys in Buffalo two weeks ago, from what I recall for two of us - bacon cheeseburger, and cheeseburger, fries, one medium drink, one large drink - it was about US$30, which I thought was fairly reasonable for two of us.
Old Oct 17th 2022, 9:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Some of us will be familiar with 5 Guys Burger stores in Canada. Cant say I use them very often as I find better burgers and prices at mom and pop burger bars.

So they have opened one in Preston and the local paper sent a reporter.

We sent reporter Hannah Bridgeman down to the sample the menu and report back to readers. Her order included the ‘Little Bacon Cheeseburger’ (£7.35), and ‘Little Cajun Fries’ (£3.15) with a refillable drink (£3.75), and a Five Guys Shake Oreo Cookie flavoured (£5.25). The total stacked up up to £19.50 – not unsubstantial but, reported Hannah, well worth it.

So using the local Canadian store the Little Bacon Cheeseburger is $9.59 Little Cajun Fries $4.49 Regular Drink $3.09 (Large) $3.29 and Oreo Cookie shake $5.79 subtotal $29.46 probably plus 1.47 GST and PST $2.06 = $32.99

Rough conversion 19.50 x 1.56 = $30.45.

Does that seem reasonable to pay over $30 for that which would be considered a lunch meal?
Putting aside the Canadian total appears to include a regular drink and a large one, why have a shake as well? Is that supposed to be a dessert?

Whenever we order delivery I stay away from 'combos' as a 2l bottle from the supermarket and out of our fridge is a way better deal. If I was ordering that, I'd stick with the burger and fries for $14 plus tax making it just over $16. Perhaps if I was out and eating it in the burger bar I might want a drink but if I'm eating for only $16 I'd balk at the price jump for pop out of principle.

If eating in a posh restaurant where the meal was $160 and the wine added $40+ I'd view that entirely differently even though it's all proportionate.
Old Oct 25th 2022, 7:18 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Old Oct 26th 2022, 1:03 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
In a similar vein (but 'Merkans): 11 FOOT 8 - The Canopener Bridge
Old Nov 14th 2022, 1:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/irania...port-1.6649997

From the article it says he was born to an Iranian father and British mother...one would think he would have been a British citizen and entitled to leave the airport once liased with the British authorities to claim citizenship.
Old Nov 14th 2022, 10:09 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/irania...port-1.6649997

From the article it says he was born to an Iranian father and British mother...one would think he would have been a British citizen and entitled to leave the airport once liased with the British authorities to claim citizenship.
His mother was British so he would not automatically be a British citizen, Plus he said he had lost all his documents. Shabby treatment all round for the poor man
Old Nov 15th 2022, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
His mother was British so he would not automatically be a British citizen, Plus he said he had lost all his documents. Shabby treatment all round for the poor man
I agree. It seems he just fell through the cracks. A shame.
Old Nov 19th 2022, 7:44 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I'm struggling to get enthusiastic about this World Cup. I love the WC, it's usually the most exiting sporting thing ever for me, but this one with all the political/social/cultural issues is just soul sapping. I'll watch and hope that England, US, Wales ( as a child I always cheered on Scotland but they're rubbish atm) and Canada do well but just with a lot of anxiety about this tournament.

Last edited by Oink; Nov 19th 2022 at 7:46 am.
Old Nov 19th 2022, 9:15 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I'm struggling to get enthusiastic about this World Cup. I love the WC, it's usually the most exiting sporting thing ever for me, but this one with all the political/social/cultural issues is just soul sapping. I'll watch and hope that England, US, Wales ( as a child I always cheered on Scotland but they're rubbish atm) and Canada do well but just with a lot of anxiety about this tournament.
I suspect I will watch very little of it, I'm unhappy that it was ever given to Qatar, which was heavily influenced by financial considerations (a polite way of saying bribery), the treatment of the workers building the stadia, of 650 died due to failure of safety policies. The UK has been inundated by World and European Championships in the last few months, Football (Soccer for US people) Rugby Union, Rugby League, Gymnastics etc But England have won some of them, The Womens Euros, Mens Wheelchair Rugby League. Medals in the Gymnastics.
Old Nov 19th 2022, 1:23 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Normally by now I have rewatched "on the march with Bobby's army" and other compilations; made a note of dates and times of most matches so as not to make arrangements that clash; completed a spreadsheet to try and project the later knockout ties; read the articles about teams and venues, players to watch out for etc.

Not this time.

But I have watched the video of the latest version of the greatest football song ever.
Old Nov 19th 2022, 7:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

the greatest football song ever.
Being a Yid?
Old Nov 19th 2022, 8:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134

I think the tournament may not even finish, once a fan is shot by the trigger happy security the Saudis have drafted in its game over. I also think that all the injuries that are keeping top players out are injuries of convenience because the players don't want to go. Bet they are all miraculously fit once the tournament is over
Old Nov 19th 2022, 8:52 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by dbd33
Being a Yid?
The embedding didn't work for you then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.