Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Jul 18th 2017, 10:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Marcelin and Francine Dumoulin’s bodies found in Swiss glacier

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jul 18th 2017 at 11:25 am.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 10:48 am
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh - the day after moving is here - what a day it was!!! I was still packing boxes when the movers turned up, I was totally ashamed of the state of the sofa when they lifted the cushions - I hadn't even thought about cleaning it as we were actually thinking of leaving it behind as it is fairly wreaked!!

So as I packed, the tape had hardly been attached and the box was whisked away into the truck! Then everything - well nearly everything - was on the truck and they were away. At the other end, even though I had clearly labelled every box and piece of furniture, I was still asked where everything went! And some things that shouldn't have been picked up were, like a huge box full of packing peanuts, which I actually needed back at the old place!

Still finally it was over, everyone was exhausted, but we have moved into our first house together and I am really excited! I hope to be less exhausted for our leaving party Saturday!

Weirdly, we had to go back to old place last night to sleep!! Also, there is still a van load of stuff there - good job we have the place until end of July, it will take that long to clean the new kitchen, move things around and get everything finally over to new place.

Needless to say, I am not going to rush to move again!!!

Thanks for the kind words sent to me from you all, this forum has a great bunch of people on it
Old Jul 19th 2017, 11:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently median rent for a 1 bedroom in Vancouver is now $2,090 per month.

Median rent for 1-bedroom hits $2,090 in Vancouver: rental site | CTV Vancouver News
Old Jul 19th 2017, 7:23 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

How do you get 50 Canadians out of a swimming pool?

Spoiler:
Tell them, there's free food and beer round my place
Old Jul 19th 2017, 7:24 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

How do you get the other 36,643,876 Canadians out of your swimming pool?

Spoiler:
Shoot the cads

Last edited by Oink; Jul 19th 2017 at 7:28 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 11:08 am
Account Closed

BC is rasing the disability and assistance rates. Not by much but at least its a start.

Assistance rates had not been raised in 10 years.

Disability was raised $50 or so earlier this year.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 2:04 am
Account Closed

Went out this morning to a flat tire on the car, a screw stuck in it.

Luckily I wasn't working today, however it's going to be tricky work-wise.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 2:17 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Went out this morning to a flat tire on the car, a screw stuck in it.
Luckily I wasn't working today, however it's going to be tricky work-wise.
I get quite a few of those (due to old pallets and stuff stored near my parking spot), but luckily they're cheap to fix. As long as they're in the tread and not the sidewall prospects are good. I've fixed a few that are right on the cusp of the sidewall, and almost all of those have held too. What hurt was the day after I bought the van I drove over a bottle and had to buy a new tire right away. I carry a kit like this in the little jack compartment:
https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...it/A-p8107922e
Because my van is a pain to jack up I usually get the electric impact wrench out and use it on the jack and the wheel.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 2:25 am
Account Closed

I think this issue will be right on the cusp of fixable. Looking to see if there is a tire place close by.

I tried to put the spare on, but goodness the nut things holding the tire on won't budge, or maybe I am too weak, who knows..

Originally Posted by caretaker
I get quite a few of those (due to old pallets and stuff stored near my parking spot), but luckily they're cheap to fix. As long as they're in the tread and not the sidewall prospects are good. I've fixed a few that are right on the cusp of the sidewall, and almost all of those have held too. What hurt was the day after I bought the van I drove over a bottle and had to buy a new tire right away. I carry a kit like this in the little jack compartment:
https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...it/A-p8107922e
Because my van is a pain to jack up I usually get the electric impact wrench out and use it on the jack and the wheel.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jul 21st 2017 at 2:28 am.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 3:12 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Standard procedure is to blame whoever last put the nuts on with an impact a little too hard. Stomping on the wrench with your foot works sometimes, but those little wrenches make it easy to come off and round the nut.
This is the case for CAA; I cough up for a gold card membership every year and don't use my emergency service calls, but I have them if I need them. The joke; "I only belong to one German organisation, The Otto Club", is of dubious value, but I use it anyway.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 3:14 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

This week I got a note from the newspaper office giving three days notice of late delivery (today and tomorrow) due to unforeseen circumstances.

Old Jul 21st 2017, 3:28 am
Account Closed

It was the tire place that put them on new a couple years ago...With the help of a hammer, I got the nuts off and spare on.

Originally Posted by caretaker
Standard procedure is to blame whoever last put the nuts on with an impact a little too hard. Stomping on the wrench with your foot works sometimes, but those little wrenches make it easy to come off and round the nut.
This is the case for CAA; I cough up for a gold card membership every year and don't use my emergency service calls, but I have them if I need them. The joke; "I only belong to one German organisation, The Otto Club", is of dubious value, but I use it anyway.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 3:39 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
...With the help of a hammer, I got the nuts off...
Old Jul 21st 2017, 4:59 am
Account Closed

Bad news, tire isn't fixable and the other rear tire is splitting.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 7:36 am
Oscar nominated

The Weather Network warns of thunderstorms and Hail up to the size of a toonie.

That's some change in the weather.

To coin a phrase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.