Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old May 15th 2022, 3:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Since when did a pickle get served with fish and chips?

That's even more weird than being offered gravy with it.
Surely not? Jars of pickles on the counters were (are?) commonplace, aren't they?
Old May 15th 2022, 9:14 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Incorrect translation of 'pickled onion' by the Chinese chippy's owner?
Could be. Mind you, I only said 'pickle' because I've been in Canada for years and no longer say Gherkin.
Old May 15th 2022, 12:02 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Since when did a pickle get served with fish and chips?

That's even more weird than being offered gravy with it.
it's a Wally. Not a new thing at all.
Old May 15th 2022, 12:16 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
it's a Wally. Not a new thing at all.
I had to look up wally. Apparently it's a Gherkin (as I mentioned in a response to spouse) and Gherkins are Pickles in Canada.

I double checked earlier to make sure they were the same.

I've still never seen one with fish and chips though
Of course I'd never seen coleslaw and gravy with fish and chips until Canada either.

But this report is a Brit thing, so maybe regional? Like mushy peas
Old May 15th 2022, 12:26 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Could be. Mind you, I only said 'pickle' because I've been in Canada for years and no longer say Gherkin.
When in Rome/Canada...

I had to look up wally. Apparently it's a Gherkin (as I mentioned in a response to spouse) and Gherkins are Pickles in Canada.

Of course I'd never seen coleslaw and gravy with fish and chips until Canada either.

It's gherkin in Oz too, they're the sweet spiced ones. 'Pickle' is used for a dill pickle, I mistook one for a gherkin once and nearly choked!

I never saw a pickle/gherkin with fish and chips in Liverpool. Mushy peas (yum!), yes, gravy (yuck!) yes, but never a pickle.
Old May 17th 2022, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I know o f only one place in Canda where I have gotten mushy peas with my fish and chips.... I still get a perplexed look when I say hold the coleslaw... I dont mind the coleslaw but gravy is as horrific to me as it is to most Canadians getting mushy peas....they dont like that at all!! whcih is a bit of a nerve... who the hell has gravy with fish????
Old May 17th 2022, 11:54 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
... I dont mind the coleslaw
At least you can treat the coleslaw as a salad starter but it's as pointless as that piece of lettuce and slice of tomato with steak and chips.

Old May 18th 2022, 12:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Well I guess as Brits living in Canada we have to adapt or find a place who can anticipate what it is what we want. At least if ordering fish and chips you usually end up with coleslaw and a wedge of lemon and asked if you want gravy as a side.
Chippy style gravy only goes on pie and chips or steak puddings. How many times have you had to ask for malt vinegar rather than the white crap they put out with the ketchup.
Old May 18th 2022, 2:01 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I've never had gravy with fish and chips but I have to say I'm not averse to the idea. What's not to like?
Old May 18th 2022, 2:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I've never had gravy with fish and chips but I have to say I'm not averse to the idea. What's not to like?
If the gravy is on the side then go for it. Now pouring the gravy over the fish is not everybody's cuppa tea. Now obviously growing up on chippy type gravy or homemade by mum for the traditional Sunday roast I can honestly say that usually I stay away from Canadian style gravy offerings however the odd place has produced a palatable gravy looking substance.
Old May 18th 2022, 3:31 am
Oscar nominated

I suppose that in the land of Poutine, gravy and fish might not be so bad
Old May 18th 2022, 3:36 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Thanks for your patience, bats! I've misremembered, all these years. I misplaced the church, for one thing, and the Four Seasons for another. I'm still figuring it all out, but you've put me on the right track I appreciate your help.
Could it have been the original Four Seasons Motor Hotel at Jarvis and Carlton? THere are some pictures here https://robertmoffatt115.wordpress.c...-four-seasons/
Old May 18th 2022, 3:43 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Surely not? Jars of pickles on the counters were (are?) commonplace, aren't they?
My local chippy at uni - about 5 doors down from the house I lived in so heavily frequented by me and housemates - had jars of pickled eggs, gherkins and onions on the counter. A pickled egg with a chicken pie and chips was a go-to combo if it was close enough to closing time that we didn't want to make the owner have to fry up a fresh batch of fish (was always wise to keep in his good books....)
Old May 18th 2022, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If the gravy is on the side then go for it. Now pouring the gravy over the fish is not everybody's cuppa tea. Now obviously growing up on chippy type gravy or homemade by mum for the traditional Sunday roast I can honestly say that usually I stay away from Canadian style gravy offerings however the odd place has produced a palatable gravy looking substance.
I suppose that in the land of Poutine, gravy and fish might not be so bad
I guess its only slight different to having "chip shop curry sauce" with your fish and chips which is as popular a side as mushy peas in some parts of the UK

Old May 18th 2022, 5:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I guess its only slight different to having "chip shop curry sauce" with your fish and chips which is as popular a side as mushy peas in some parts of the UK
Stop it. One can only imagine the fragrance of curry sauce, mushy peas, gravy and fish and chips washed down with a pint of Guinness.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.