Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Jul 1st 2021, 8:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

I can’t see how one can compare the US to Canada cost of living wise. The main expense in the US is healthcare and meds. If you are healthy then you can fly by the seat of your pants for a while…but one major or chronic illness and you are…..
Old Jul 1st 2021, 9:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I only buy something on Amazon if it's cheaper than the competition. If I can go to a store and buy that cat box for $15 Cdn it's cheaper than in the US price on Amazon. If I can go into K-Mart in Billings and buy it for $10 USD it's cheaper there, but not much. When one of my sisters would go to her trailer in St Petersburg for the winter she'd take boxes of non-perishable food that is more expensive in the US, as well as enough pea-meal bacon to last for months because bacon costs a lot more there. Some things are cheaper, but a lot aren't. Last time I was camping in the US I stocked up on groceries in Spokane, and the only real saving was on the beer. I only ate at Dairy Queen and a couple of other fast food places while travelling there, but they weren't cheaper. I remember whole Coho Salmon being real cheap in Oroville, and cigarettes and cigars when I still smoked, and mom used to buy all her cheese down there and some canned stuff. Being paid in US dollars makes prices more equal, and I'm not denying there are bargains to be had, but I don't think many of them are on Amazon.
We got it at Wal-Mart locally, still cost $25 and different brand and style, but it was the cheapest, the same exact box at the pet store is $45, both prices higher than the US where the box is $12.99.

Washington food prices are higher than California from my experience, but milk, cheese, butter can be some significant savings, when I have done comparison food shopping between So. California and BC online with grocery store websites, I can get almost double the amount of food for the same cost, food is incredibly cheap in So. California.

Shoes and clothes I buy when visiting my parents, name brand shoes for the price of generic brand here, and for some reason I have a hell of a time finding pants that fit me in Canada, its like my size doesn't exist, I can find it in the US no issue, but here, its like you can't be tall and have a smaller waist, 45 wait in my length is just too big, but these upper end waist sizes seem most common in my length, and I am by no means skinny anymore, just in some weird twilight zone where I am either too fat or too skinny for pants

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jul 1st 2021 at 9:42 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2021, 3:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever wanted to live in a bathroom? Well now is your chance, you get a full 160sq feet, with no kitchen for the sweet sweet price of $680 per month.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van...344835637.html

Your view from the bed.

Old Jul 2nd 2021, 4:11 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Have you ever wanted to live in a bathroom? Well now is your chance, you get a full 160sq feet, with no kitchen for the sweet sweet price of $680 per month.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van...344835637.html

Your view from the bed.
WTF

Old Jul 2nd 2021, 4:20 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Danny B
WTF
Insanity of the rental market.

My sister does door dash in the evenings to help pay for her husbands medical bills, but difference between Phoenix and Kelowna, she averages $21/hr with tip gross, where the best we ever did before giving up was barely $10/hr gross.

American's I swear tip better.
Old Jul 2nd 2021, 9:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Insanity of the rental market.

My sister does door dash in the evenings to help pay for her husbands medical bills, but difference between Phoenix and Kelowna, she averages $21/hr with tip gross, where the best we ever did before giving up was barely $10/hr gross.

American's I swear tip better.
Think of it this way J…if they lived in Canada she would not have to work evenings to pay for the medical bills.

Kudos to your sister for the extra work she’s taken on for this.
Old Jul 2nd 2021, 3:15 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Think of it this way J…if they lived in Canada she would not have to work evenings to pay for the medical bills.

Kudos to your sister for the extra work she’s taken on for this.

It was more just a comparison how gig work is more viable there, it's too bad because in theory gig work would be perfect for us to bring in the supplemental income we need while letting us work when we can.

Yes, if they were in Canada they would have less medical bills.
Old Jul 3rd 2021, 11:42 pm
Account Closed

I'd rather live in a high-rise than a low rise apartment building.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 5:56 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I hate being a landlord.

Tenant was 16 days late paying their first month’s rent last month (June). Warning email sent after the rent was received that if happens next month - end of tenancy notice will be sent, they agreed via email/in writing and now guess what - no rent received so far for July!

10 day notice to end tenancy due to non payment of rent sent via email and apparently that’s not good enough according to the RTB so tomorrow we have to post the notice on their door and see how it plays out.

Of course the tenant hasn’t responded to the email or a follow up text message!!

I thought it sucked being a tenant - this is million times worse!

Old Jul 6th 2021, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I hate being a landlord.

Tenant was 16 days late paying their first month’s rent last month (June). Warning email sent after the rent was received that if happens next month - end of tenancy notice will be sent, they agreed via email/in writing and now guess what - no rent received so far for July!

10 day notice to end tenancy due to non payment of rent sent via email and apparently that’s not good enough according to the RTB so tomorrow we have to post the notice on their door and see how it plays out.

Of course the tenant hasn’t responded to the email or a follow up text message!!

I am neither a tenant or a landlord but in my work know landlords and at least in Ontario, the odds seem to be all stacked in favour of the tenants. Evicting problem tenants is very difficult in Ontario. Good luck. There are tenants who know all of the tricks in the book to avoid paying rent or delaying their removal.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 2:15 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I am neither a tenant or a landlord but in my work know landlords and at least in Ontario, the odds seem to be all stacked in favour of the tenants. Evicting problem tenants is very difficult in Ontario. Good luck. There are tenants who know all of the tricks in the book to avoid paying rent or delaying their removal.
Yeah I don’t know what we are going to do. I didn’t want to rent to them in the first place - I had a very very bad feeling that’s been proved right but my partner decided to go with them despite everyone telling him not to do this and now I have to deal with the consequences.

we won’t be able to go for months like this with no rent/a tenant in there refusing to move - apartment will have to be sold
Old Jul 6th 2021, 2:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Partially discharged

I believe one way of evicting a tenant in Ontario, is to claim the premises are needed to house a family member.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 3:27 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I hate being a landlord.
I didn't know that happened

On the plus side it's a good time to get familiar with the rules. Dunno about BC but here emails were no good. Had to be official notices, hand delivered or displayed on the door (for all to see and anyone remove?) but oddly enough the regular mail was good (a couple of extra days notice needed to allow for delivery) when there's always the chance of non or late delivery.

I had a general idea of what to do but I really didn't appreciate the specifics until the first time I had to put things in motion.

Old Jul 6th 2021, 3:34 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I didn't know that happened
On the plus side it's a good time to get familiar with the rules. Dunno about BC but here emails were no good. Had to be official notices, hand delivered or displayed on the door (for all to see and anyone remove?) but oddly enough the regular mail was good (a couple of extra days notice needed to allow for delivery) when there's always the chance of non or late delivery.

I had a general idea of what to do but I really didn't appreciate the specifics until the first time I had to put things in motion.
yeah apparently this rule about email not valid unless they agreed to it is very new.

The registered mail seems like a good idea but unfortunately it adds on time but according to the RTB it’s accepted with receipt as proof of service regardless if tenant picks up the mail or not! At that point it’s on the tenant as the mail has gone through a tracking process through a neutral service (Canada post)
Old Jul 6th 2021, 5:26 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I hate being a landlord.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/h...-new-landlords
Landlords must provide notice to end tenancy on the appropriate RTB form.
  • A Notice to End Tenancy MUST be on a RTB form. Letters, emails, texts or verbal conversations do not count as a notice to a tenant.
  • Make sure to use the correct notice – using the wrong form can have consequences ranging from just being invalid to risk of monetary or other penalties.
  • The forms can be found here.
On the form RB-30 (dated March 21) it says it can be delived by email (but must be all 3 pages of the form, and you must have signed it)... if that helps.
10 Day Notice to End Tenancy for Unpaid Rent or Utilities (PDF, 248 KB) (Mar-21)

It's a shame it's not like Ontario - where you have to pay the first and last months rent when you sign the lease. (the last months rent being kept in an interest bearing account and interest paid on it to the tenant).

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 6th 2021 at 5:33 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.