Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Jun 13th 2021, 8:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I have realized there is absolutely no way I could take a 3 hour a day, 5 day a week college class that is only done online by zoom living in an apartment with a spouse and dog.
Can you not use the bedroom? When my husband was doing his masters degree, he used a cupboard/closet for a study. It was tiny…just enough room for a small table and chair. Probably was about 4ft wide…3 ft deep.
Old Jun 13th 2021, 8:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Can you not use the bedroom? When my husband was doing his masters degree, he used a cupboard/closet for a study. It was tiny…just enough room for a small table and chair. Probably was about 4ft wide…3 ft deep.
Not really, its barely a bedroom, about 2 feet of space between the bed and the wall, king size bed barely fits.

There is also the problem of the bedroom facing the courtyard with very noisy construction going on, and the heater is broken still, so closing the window turns it into a 30 degree sauna.

I am honestly not sure I would even pass doing it at home, the one time I did try at home class it did not go well, I really need the structure of a classroom to succeed.

Old Jun 13th 2021, 8:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Not really, its barely a bedroom, about 2 feet of space between the bed and the wall, king size bed barely fits.

There is also the problem of the bedroom facing the courtyard with very noisy construction going on, and the heater is broken still, so closing the window turns it into a 30 degree sauna.

I am honestly not sure I would even pass doing it at home, the one time I did try at home class it did not go well, I really need the structure of a classroom to succeed.
How long is the course for?

Old Jun 13th 2021, 8:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
How long is the course for?
almost 3 months, Mon to Fri 9am to 12noon

It's 1 class, a human anatomy and physiology intro class.
Old Jun 13th 2021, 10:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

That’s not too bad. It realize it is difficult but try to be positive…think of the end result. There must be a way you can use your bedroom…headphones, lapdesk on the bed etc.
Old Jun 14th 2021, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Could you go to a coffee shop, starbucks, etc or a coworking space when/if restrictions allow?
Old Jun 14th 2021, 2:51 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

You can do it. Give it a go, don't assume failure when you start and you'll be surprised.
3 hours a day, not all day. Think positive!
Old Jun 15th 2021, 9:04 pm
Account Closed

June 15, 2011

Old Jun 16th 2021, 4:44 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Texas

Old Jun 16th 2021, 9:10 pm
Account Closed

Wal-Mart in Terrace, BC will no longer have cashiers as part of Wal-Marts no cashier pilot program.

I am not surprised, over the last year, Wal-Mart has in all the stores I have been to, largely gotten rid of cashiers already and added a large amount of self check out's with maybe 1 cashier lane open.

Wal-Mart was quick to add that the Terrace store wont lose employees, and they are hiring 40 more people, presumably as Wal-Mart has expanded their curbside pick up, online ordering, they need more workers to pick and pack the orders.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2021/06...-cashiers/amp/

Question is what is the governments plans in regards to the massive automation coming at us in the next 1-2 decades, simply put not everyone has the ability or capability of doing higher skilled jobs, but automation is going to largely eliminate lower skilled jobs in the next 20 years, governments don't seem to have a plan though for it.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jun 16th 2021 at 9:17 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2021, 9:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Wal-Mart in Terrace, BC will no longer have cashiers as part of Wal-Marts no cashier pilot program.
How does that work when you have a large cart of stuff overflowing that's going to fill 9 or 10 re-usable bags? Don't people shop like that there?
Old Jun 16th 2021, 9:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK
How does that work when you have a large cart of stuff overflowing that's going to fill 9 or 10 re-usable bags? Don't people shop like that there?
Same way you do it for 1 or 2 bags of stuff

Wal-Mart has spent the last year (at least at every location I have been to) redoing their self check out and adding larger check out area to accommodate more than just a few items, they also don't seem to be weighing like some places do, so you also don't have to keep your bags at one spot like Canadian Tire whose machines will yell at you if it thinks you moved the bag or put something in it without scanning.

Old Jun 17th 2021, 1:29 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Wal-Mart was quick to add that the Terrace store wont lose employees, and they are hiring 40 more people, presumably as Wal-Mart has expanded their curbside pick up, online ordering, they need more workers to pick and pack the orders.
The old 'no one will lose their job' thing. A local store said the same thing, even had the employees saying it. A year later and their staff numbers have halved. I don't shop there anymore.

If they had to keep the same number of staff they wouldn't go to the expense of installing self check-outs.

Old Jun 17th 2021, 11:55 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Same way you do it for 1 or 2 bags of stuff

Wal-Mart has spent the last year (at least at every location I have been to) redoing their self check out and adding larger check out area to accommodate more than just a few items, they also don't seem to be weighing like some places do, so you also don't have to keep your bags at one spot like Canadian Tire whose machines will yell at you if it thinks you moved the bag or put something in it without scanning.

Maybe I'm just an old fuddy duddy but I look at that photo and think, yes, there's plenty of room there compared to the self checkout areas I'm used to seeing.

And then I think about how I normally unload my items onto the conveyor belt without thinking of what should go first because the cashier will do that and by the time I've finished half my stuff is already scanned and bagged. As I lift the bagged stuff back into my cart a few more things have been scanned and then what's left is bagged by me and cashier, job done.

Now I imagine me and my full cart at that self checkout. What should I scan and bag first. I'd like to do that thing first but it's at the bottom of the cart as one of the first things I bought. Regardless it's me now scanning and packing and having to bend down to put 6 bags on the floor to make room on the stand for the other bags, oh bugger it, that bag just fell over as I lifted the one next to it, picks up items and put back in bag, puts that one on floor, carefully this time, and then I'm done.

Now to bend and pick up half a dozen bags...ooops...there goes my back from bending down (or maybe my blood pressure drops from down and up multiple times).

Aside from all that, I look at the space needed in that picture, consider how the cart needs to be backed out and all the rest...and I'm thinking that in the usual line and cash desk set-up where one goes through and is replaced by someone from behind, you could probably fit one cashier and two or three customers with carts, with the items scanned and bagged in a fraction of the time.

From the store's angle, how much do they lose by not having the tempting stock at the cash desks?
Unless the store is reducing employee number - as JG mentions - I can't see anything in it for them unless people buy less, perhaps visiting more often to make up for it.

Perhaps in future they'll have a 20 items or more lane.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jun 17th 2021 at 11:57 am.
Old Jun 17th 2021, 11:59 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Unless the store is reducing employee number - as JG mentions -
Jersey Girl - whip cracking, thigh boot wearing moderator

Spouse of Scouse - mild mannered, flip flop wearing concierge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.